inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anybody else think 2013 was the worst year ever for music?

Written By: bchris02 on 01/11/14 at 2:11 pm

2013 was the worst year for music in my lifetime.  Thinking about the year, its hard for me to really think of anything that came out that was even decent, let alone good.  Maybe Katy Perry's "Roar" and Lady Gaga's "Applause" but other than that, it was a very blah year.

Hopefully musically 2014 will be better.

Subject: Re: Does anybody else think 2013 was the worst year ever for music?

Written By: XYkid on 01/11/14 at 3:04 pm

Not at all. If anything it was probably one of the better years in music in my own lifetime. I liked a lot of music that came out in the past year, and really enjoyed the Disco/New Wave revival that came about in dance music. In my opinion, it may not be the most revolutionary year in music, but it was probably the best year for music in the 2010s so far. However, at this rate I suspect 2014 will be even better musically (knock on wood).

Written By: bchris02 on 01/11/14 at 11:22 pm

Not at all. If anything it was probably one of the better years in music in my own lifetime. I liked a lot of music that came out in the past year, and really enjoyed the Disco/New Wave revival that came about in dance music. In my opinion, it may not be the most revolutionary year in music, but it was probably the best year for music in the 2010s so far. However, at this rate I suspect 2014 will be even better musically (knock on wood).

What songs made it such a great year?

In my opinion, 2013 was bad because most of the popular genres have run their course.  There were a few alright hip-hop/R&B songs this year but for the most part I just wasn't moved by it like I was in the late '00s.  Drake and 2 Chainz are no T.I. and Lil' Wayne.  As for electropop, there were a few decent songs but the genre is really starting to get watered down.  Songs like "Summertime Sadness" and "Clarity" come to mind.  Boy bands are what they are.  I am not a 13 year old girl so I am not in the target demographic for One Direction.  Rock tries to hint at a comeback but never quite busts through.  Of course the Fox song is an example of everything that is wrong with modern culture.

The one genre I think is really good right now is whatever you would call Imagine Dragons, Little Talks, Phillip Phillips, Avicii, etc.  I wouldn't call that pop, electropop, or rock, but its pretty decent.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/14 at 12:40 am

2013 was decent. So I voted no.

Written By: XYkid on 01/12/14 at 12:59 am

What songs made it such a great year?

In my opinion, 2013 was bad because most of the popular genres have run their course.  There were a few alright hip-hop/R&B songs this year but for the most part I just wasn't moved by it like I was in the late '00s.  Drake and 2 Chainz are no T.I. and Lil' Wayne.  As for electropop, there were a few decent songs but the genre is really starting to get watered down.  Songs like "Summertime Sadness" and "Clarity" come to mind.  Boy bands are what they are.  I am not a 13 year old girl so I am not in the target demographic for One Direction.  Rock tries to hint at a comeback but never quite busts through.  Of course the Fox song is an example of everything that is wrong with modern culture.

The one genre I think is really good right now is whatever you would call Imagine Dragons, Little Talks, Phillip Phillips, Avicii, etc.  I wouldn't call that pop, electropop, or rock, but its pretty decent.
Personally I hated the late 00s music-wise, not only was that an awful time in my life but the music then was just...blah.
Hip hop wise, I did enjoy Macklemore's rise to the top. And really, the whole glam/crunk scene that Lil Wayne is part of has been mostly dead since 2010/2011. I'm enjoying this new, anti-materialistic attitude in the hip hop scene, and in popular music in general.
There were a lot of really good alternative acts that came out in 2013 which I enjoyed. HAIM, Lorde,  and Tegan and Sara just to name a few who have made their debut. I really enjoyed Daft Punk's new album, as well as the Arctic Monkeys' new album which just came out (the first single was released in the summer). Several other artists that I've never been a huge fan of also came out with material that surprised me, including Phoenix, the Killers, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, and AWOLnation, all acts that I never really cared for much until this year. On top of that, Filter and Alice in Chains came back with new albums.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/12/14 at 1:53 am

I'm neutral about it.  A lot of it was absolute sh!t but a lot of it was pretty good. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 01/12/14 at 3:57 am

I actually like quite a lot hits from last year. The best chart year of the '10s until now.

Written By: batfan2005 on 01/12/14 at 8:36 am

I thought 2013's music was pretty good. It offered a lot of variety. There was less electropop compared to 2009-2012, but there was a lot more hip-hop/R&B such as A$AP Rocky and Kendrick Lamar, and some good alternative rock like Imagine Dragons. I didn't really care too much for the popular hits though, such as "Wrecking Ball". I think the best music of the year was Justin Timberlake's 20/20 Experience. Every song on his first 10 tracks were good. I didn't really care for the second part though, other than "Take Back the Night" and one other song.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/12/14 at 8:52 am

Personally I hated the late 00s music-wise, not only was that an awful time in my life but the music then was just...blah.
Hip hop wise, I did enjoy Macklemore's rise to the top. And really, the whole glam/crunk scene that Lil Wayne is part of has been mostly dead since 2010/2011. I'm enjoying this new, anti-materialistic attitude in the hip hop scene, and in popular music in general.
There were a lot of really good alternative acts that came out in 2013 which I enjoyed. HAIM, Lorde,  and Tegan and Sara just to name a few who have made their debut. I really enjoyed Daft Punk's new album, as well as the Arctic Monkeys' new album which just came out (the first single was released in the summer). Several other artists that I've never been a huge fan of also came out with material that surprised me, including Phoenix, the Killers, Bruno Mars, Katy Perry, and AWOLnation, all acts that I never really cared for much until this year. On top of that, Filter and Alice in Chains came back with new albums.

2013 was an awful year for my personal life so maybe that's part of why I don't really like the music.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/12/14 at 12:20 pm

2013 rocked.  It is summed up in one word:

Lorde

Written By: 80sfan on 01/12/14 at 1:34 pm

2013 rocked.  It is summed up in one word:

Lorde

Karma. I like her too!

Written By: Creeder on 01/12/14 at 3:48 pm

Almost nothing interesting in 2013.
Rock music hit rock bottom.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/13/14 at 5:22 pm

2013 was the worst year for music in my lifetime.  Thinking about the year, its hard for me to really think of anything that came out that was even decent, let alone good.  Maybe Katy Perry's "Roar" and Lady Gaga's "Applause" but other than that, it was a very blah year.

Hopefully musically 2014 will be better.

2013 was like very watered down late 00s coming back, very bad styles of rap predominating the radio. The electronic pop music wasn't catchy like it was in 09. It was simply boring.
No songs that year were interesting. At least 2012 had catchy songs like Gangnam Style and songs that actually gave me emotion like Adele's Skyfall.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/14/14 at 11:40 pm

I personally hated the songs "Blurred Lines", "Thrift Shop", and "Harlem Shake"

Written By: XYkid on 01/15/14 at 4:53 pm

I personally hated the songs "Blurred Lines", "Thrift Shop", and "Harlem Shake"
Even if you don't like Thrift Shop, you have to admit it had a great message.
I don't like the lyrics of Blurred Lines, but the Marvin Gaye sample makes it very danceable.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 01/15/14 at 6:04 pm

I don't like the lyrics of Blurred Lines, but the Marvin Gaye sample makes it very danceable.

I will say "Thrift Shop" is the most tolerable of the three.

I just find "Blurred Lines" to be an irritating song in general. My dislike of it has nothing to do with the controversial lyrics.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/14 at 7:34 pm

I agree, it's quite danceable.

Written By: robby76 on 01/24/14 at 4:14 am

2013 wasn't such a bad year. I agree with the poster who mentioned Zedd's "Clarity" - one of the best songs in 2013.

I also loved Jason Derulo's "Other Side".

New boyband Union J had some good material, namely with "Beautiful Life".

And I'm not ashamed to say I loved One Direction's "Best Song Ever" and Miley's "We Can't Stop".

mE3v4Bv8NaY

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/14 at 10:08 pm

The worst year for music was 52 B.C. 
Mallets on stones isn't exactly music to the ears :D

Written By: Howard on 01/28/14 at 7:55 am

The worst year for music was 52 B.C. 
Mallets on stones isn't exactly music to the ears :D

;D

Written By: bchris02 on 01/31/14 at 9:19 pm

2013 was like very watered down late 00s coming back, very bad styles of rap predominating the radio. The electronic pop music wasn't catchy like it was in 09. It was simply boring.
No songs that year were interesting. At least 2012 had catchy songs like Gangnam Style and songs that actually gave me emotion like Adele's Skyfall.

I actually liked the late '00s musically.  I can say with confidence that 2013 bared little resemblance to 2007-2009.  Rap was at its peak in the late '00s.  2013 was probably the worst year for rap I can think of.  Very little came out that was any good.  Even the huge hits like Blurred Lines, which I admit could have been a hit in 2007, was inferior to late '00s hip-hop.  We are only in January and so far 2014 has had more good songs than 2013 did.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/01/14 at 10:13 am

There were actually quite a few catchy hits in 2013.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/01/14 at 3:52 pm

Yeah, 2013 music was really a trip through suckdom.  I mean, Every song's like gold teeth, grey goose, trippin' in the bathroom, blood stains, ball gowns, trashin' the hotel room.  And everybody's like Cristal, Maybach, diamonds on your timepiece jet planes, islands, tigers on a gold leash.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 02/21/14 at 11:56 pm

There were actually quite a few catchy hits in 2013.

What do you think was catchy?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/22/14 at 12:21 am

To name a few:

Clarity/Zedd and Foxes
Brave/Sara Bareilies
I love It/Icona Pop
Stay the Night/Zedd and Haley Williams

People may think these songs suck, but I like them. Maybe I'm mellowing out.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/22/14 at 9:16 am

How Long Will I Love You? by Ellie Goulding is a charming song from 2013.

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/14 at 7:07 pm

2013 was the best year in music in 5 years. Great songs like Thrift Shop, Treasure, Get Lucky, Radioactive, Safe and Sound, and while the lyric content of the song isn't good, the beat is very catchy in Blurred Lines. Of course there were some bad songs like from Miley Cyrus but overall it was a great year in music and the best in the last 5 years.

Written By: batfan2005 on 03/01/14 at 7:06 am

So far 2014 is off to a bad start. Maybe its too early to judge since its only March, but this time last year there was already some good music, like Justin Timberlake. It seems like there are no good songs on the radio on either the hip-hop or top 40 stations.

Written By: Zach4110 on 03/01/14 at 10:06 pm

Nope. Why, do you ask?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fySaWH6qIVg

Written By: Slim95 on 03/01/14 at 10:09 pm

So far 2014 is off to a bad start. Maybe its too early to judge since its only March, but this time last year there was already some good music, like Justin Timberlake. It seems like there are no good songs on the radio on either the hip-hop or top 40 stations.

I agree. 2014 music so far is awful. Especially compared to last year.

Written By: bchris02 on 03/02/14 at 11:16 am

I agree. 2014 music so far is awful. Especially compared to last year.

I tend to think the opposite.  My 2014 playlist already have far more songs I like than 2013 did.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/14 at 4:37 am

The music for the 2013 Oscar winning movie "Gravity" won the Oscar for Best Music.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/24/14 at 11:46 pm

I mainly liked the 80s-y sounding melodic songs like "Treasure", Love Somebody, and Get Lucky,  it actually felt more upbeat and happy than than the mostly awful autotuned pop of 2011/12.

This year has been pretty horrible so far, though. It seems like hip hop is sadly making a bit of a comeback.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/25/14 at 3:33 am

The music for the 2013 Oscar winning movie "Gravity" won the Oscar for Best Music.
I will repeat this reply!

Written By: robby76 on 07/25/14 at 3:35 am

This year has been pretty horrible so far, though. It seems like hip hop is sadly making a bit of a comeback.

The first 2014 song to make it to my itunes is Sia's "Chandelier". Starts off a little r'n'b but soon becomes a rousing anthem which will have you singing along. This has been a big international hit. Gives me faith in current music.

2vjPBrBU-TM

This is another good track - very poppy and reminds me of early Mariah Carey. 90million views can't be too wrong.

m-M1AtrxztU

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 07/26/14 at 5:07 am

I mainly liked the 80s-y sounding melodic songs like "Treasure", Love Somebody, and Get Lucky,  it actually felt more upbeat and happy than than the mostly awful autotuned pop of 2011/12.

I also like those songs, however I never thought of the 80s... They sound more late 70s (disco) IMO.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/26/14 at 6:45 pm

2014 is even worse than 2013. How long will this pattern continue? It's only 2014 but I'm already ready for the 2010s to end.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/26/14 at 10:18 pm

^ Yeah, I think its because of hip hop. It's like the plague that just won't go away. ;D Songs like "Turn Down For What" are even stupider than 00s rap or equally as bad.

I also like those songs, however I never thought of the 80s... They sound more late 70s (disco) IMO.

Yeah truthfully they're probably more late 70s-y, like a mixture of disco and keyboards.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/26/14 at 11:52 pm

2014 has been the worst year in music in a while. 2013 was the best in my opinion.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 07/27/14 at 12:39 am

It wasn't completely terrible but it wasn't completely good either.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/27/14 at 1:29 am

I think something the entire 2010s (so far) has in common, is that the good music is either from indie bands that sound 80s/retro, or a few radio songs here and there (also usually retro sounding uptempo stuff)...but the vast majority blows. Too much autotune pop, rhythmic hip hop influenced dance music, or garbage girly pop like Biebs and 1D.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/27/14 at 1:55 am

I think something the entire 2010s (so far) has in common, is that the good music is either from indie bands that sound 80s/retro, or a few radio songs here and there (also usually retro sounding uptempo stuff)...but the vast majority blows. Too much autotune pop, rhythmic hip hop influenced dance music, or garbage girly pop like Biebs and 1D.

How long do you this will continue? It seems like it gets worse each year. I think it will start turning around soon because how much worse can it get?

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/14 at 3:21 am

2004 to 2010 were the worse years of music ever in my opinion.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/27/14 at 3:55 am

How is 2011 to 2014 better?

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/27/14 at 8:48 am

This summer seems to have been a turnaround for the music this year. A lot of songs have been added to my playlist.

Calvin Harris - Summer. Probably my favorite song from this summer.

ebXbLfLACGM

Kimbra - 90's Music. This one has a new and unique sound. Ironically its called "90's Music".

s0yi8D15r7o

Catey Shaw - Brooklyn Girls. This one is catchy.

Q2poC56ycWA

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/14 at 8:58 am

How is 2011 to 2014 better?

It was better by just a little. Of course just my opinion.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/27/14 at 10:09 am

I think 2006 was the worst year of music in my lifetime, and part of 2007 until it got better later on that year. The periods before and after the 2006-07 period were really good.

Written By: 80sfan on 07/27/14 at 1:00 pm

I think 2006 was the worst year of music in my lifetime, and part of 2007 until it got better later on that year. The periods before and after the 2006-07 period were really good.

I'm probably in the minority but 2013 music was kind of fun and dancy!  :D :D :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/27/14 at 1:02 pm

With the single "Gangnam Style" by Psy still riding high need I say more!

Written By: Howard on 07/27/14 at 2:18 pm

Too much autotune pop, rhythmic hip hop influenced dance music, or garbage girly pop like Biebs and 1D.

That's why we need disco and funk back.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/27/14 at 11:12 pm

I don't think 2014 is particularly terrible, nor is it that great.  I did like 2013 better though.  As mentioned, I liked the retro-flavored songs like Treasure and Get Lucky. 

Personally, I'd take Top 40 2010s music over Top 40 2000s music.  00s was better for Rock (obviously), but other than that, I'd argue the 2010s have been a definite improvement.  But then again, my life is much, much better in the 2010s, so I obviously will have more memories attached to this decade's music than the 00s.  A lot of the stuff that was popular on the radio in the 00s is stuff I don't listen to at all now.  Ironically, my music tastes are a bit younger than some of my mid-20s friends, who seem to be regressing to their old standbys slowly but surely.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/27/14 at 11:20 pm

I don't think 2014 is particularly terrible, nor is it that great.  I did like 2013 better though.  As mentioned, I liked the retro-flavored songs like Treasure and Get Lucky. 

Personally, I'd take Top 40 2010s music over Top 40 2000s music.  00s was better for Rock (obviously), but other than that, I'd argue the 2010s have been a definite improvement.  But then again, my life is much, much better in the 2010s, so I obviously will have more memories attached to this decade's music than the 00s.  A lot of the stuff that was popular on the radio in the 00s is stuff I don't listen to at all now.  Ironically, my music tastes are a bit younger than some of my mid-20s friends, who seem to be regressing to their old standbys slowly but surely.

Yeah, I think while alot of the mainstream hip-hop tinged stuff does suck...the Top 40 can be really good when it's good. I doubt songs like "Rude" (which I like) would've charted in the 00s.

That's very true, and I wonder if its psychological. The timing is purely coincidental, but I've always felt much MUCH more of a connection to music from 1992 and before, than to most mid and late 90s music (save for the adult contemporary and a few uptempo alternative rock songs) since there were a lot of things that changed in my own life, and not for the better, in my very early teens.

In 1995 I sort of already had "regressed" into the comfort zone of my 80s/very early 90s favorites...and I was still only 13 or 14! Like I said, but for a few big radio hits you couldn't help but know, I wasn't really seeking out new music, and maybe it does have something to do with my own life being kinda a drag at the time. (I'm nostalgic for certain things now though, because it's so long ago.)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/28/14 at 3:41 am

One word to describe 2010s music so far is boring
It doesn't make me feel anything intense
It's not catchy
and you can't even dance to it

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/28/14 at 9:19 pm

How is the mid 00s the worst years of music? it actually had great music. Some are even considered classics now.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/28/14 at 9:31 pm

How is the mid 00s the worst years of music? it actually had great music. Some are even considered classics now.

The mid '00s was a polarizing time for music.  I personally liked it but a lot of people didn't.  The stuff that will live on from that period will likely not be what was played on the radio.  Much of the "crunk" and glam rap that dominated the airwaves is nowhere to be found in 2014.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/28/14 at 10:38 pm

The mid '00s was a polarizing time for music.  I personally liked it but a lot of people didn't.  The stuff that will live on from that period will likely not be what was played on the radio.  Much of the "crunk" and glam rap that dominated the airwaves is nowhere to be found in 2014.

What do you think will live on from that time period?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/28/14 at 11:18 pm

You're correct. Glam rap was dominating, but not every popular song was glam rap. There was also great R&B, rock, and  pop music during that time too.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/14 at 11:10 am

Green Day, Gorillaz, Daughtry, Nickelback, All Time Low, Jack's Mannequin, Seether, Cake, Kings of Leon, Panic at the Disco among others.

Most of those got radio airplay, but they took a back seat to urban/rhythmic on Top 40 radio stations.

Written By: Visor765 on 07/29/14 at 11:41 am

2013 featured that atrocious "Blurred Lines" song that I hate so much. My generation is going to look back at the song and it's going to be in the same category as "Tubthumping", "Mr. Roboto", and "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?". I also didn't like "Thrift Shop" (I seriously regret buying that song), and all of Selena Gomez's songs that year sounded exactly the same. PSY's "Gangnam Style" was annoying and pointless. The "Harlem Shake" was extremely stupid. Lady Gaga's "Applause" is boring. There was so much dorky indie music, especially Mumford and Sons. I really like Imagine Dragons though. 2014 has so far been better. I think as of right now 2010 has been the best year of the decade for music. It was good, just not spectacular. I'm waiting for that one year that completely blows my mind. It's probably gonna happen in the second half, which I hope has more tasteful music.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/14 at 11:59 am

2013 featured that atrocious "Blurred Lines" song that I hate so much. My generation is going to look back at the song and it's going to be in the same category as "Tubthumping", "Mr. Roboto", and "Do Ya Think I'm Sexy?". I also didn't like "Thrift Shop" (I seriously regret buying that song), and all of Selena Gomez's songs that year sounded exactly the same. PSY's "Gangnam Style" was annoying and pointless. The "Harlem Shake" was extremely stupid. Lady Gaga's "Applause" is boring. There was so much dorky indie music, especially Mumford and Sons. I really like Imagine Dragons though. 2014 has so far been better. I think as of right now 2010 has been the best year of the decade for music. It was good, just not spectacular. I'm waiting for that one year that completely blows my mind. It's probably gonna happen in the second half, which I hope has more tasteful music.

Gangnam Style wasn't from 2013 it was from 2012...

Written By: bchris02 on 07/29/14 at 12:46 pm

I would put "Blurred Lines" on the same caliber with songs like "Let It Rock" by Lil Wayne from 2008.  It wasn't a great song but it wasn't terrible either and will probably be remembered fondly a decade from now.  Gangnam Style had a short run in 2012 on Top 40 and I don't remember it much in 2013.  However, it was just as good as any LMFAO song from the early years of this decade i.e. Sexy and I Know It.  Where 2013 really sucked was all the teen pop hits by Salena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, etc as well as the overplayed electropop like "Clarity" and "Summertime Sadness."

Written By: Howard on 07/29/14 at 2:40 pm

You mean after 2014?

Written By: Visor765 on 07/29/14 at 3:20 pm

I would put "Blurred Lines" on the same caliber with songs like "Let It Rock" by Lil Wayne from 2008.  It wasn't a great song but it wasn't terrible either and will probably be remembered fondly a decade from now.  Gangnam Style had a short run in 2012 on Top 40 and I don't remember it much in 2013.  However, it was just as good as any LMFAO song from the early years of this decade i.e. Sexy and I Know It.  Where 2013 really sucked was all the teen pop hits by Salena Gomez, Miley Cyrus, etc as well as the overplayed electropop like "Clarity" and "Summertime Sadness."

I would say about 15 years. 10 years is a little too soon to look back at fondly and you tend to cringe at what you liked back then. My generation has plenty, and I'm certainly sure "Blurred Lines" will be one of them since the song promotes rape.

Written By: Slim95 on 07/29/14 at 4:12 pm

I would say about 15 years. 10 years is a little too soon to look back at fondly and you tend to cringe at what you liked back then. My generation has plenty, and I'm certainly sure "Blurred Lines" will be one of them since the song promotes rape.

There's no proof of that apart from what the media says and what people are saying on the YouTube comments for that video. Robin Thicke himself says that the message was meant to be that. To be honest I don't really like the song as it's just like any other repetitive pop song but the beat is catchy and fun and it's something to look back upon and it is memorable. But I don't hear anything in the song promoting rape. It may sound like it's suggesting it but Thicke says himself that the song was not meant to be about that.

Check for new replies or respond here...