inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This is why I hate contemporary pop culture...

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/13/14 at 9:53 pm

This chick can wear crass s**t like this in public, and worse, people (young white girls, disgustingly) go all "OMG, I LOVE IT!" at it. Just...no. F**k no. Am I a bad person for hoping her low-class ass gets kicked for wearing this shirt in public?

I'm sorry, but this pisses me off so much.

http://lookbook.nu/look/5739297-Roukeys-Yung-Nigga-Leo-Tshirt-Vans-Sk8hi-Ride-Or-Die-4-Leona

Subject: Re: This is why I hate contemporary pop culture...

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/13/14 at 10:05 pm

Go ahead and down-vote me. I don't care. This chick is not even black, and she's parading the streets of California with the n-word clearly printed on her shirt. She better watch it, because just because most people her age won't give a s**t doesn't mean others not down with attempting to appropriate deeply-offensive slurs into terms of endearment will let her get away with it, and if she's lucky all they'll do is curse her out for wearing it.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/13/14 at 10:10 pm

I agree it is not a cool shirt at all.  Then again, I don't like that word in any form.

Written By: Step-chan on 01/13/14 at 10:40 pm

Go ahead and down-vote me. I don't care. This chick is not even black, and she's parading the streets of California with the n-word clearly printed on her shirt. She better watch it, because just because most people her age won't give a s**t doesn't mean others not down with attempting to appropriate deeply-offensive slurs into terms of endearment will let her get away with it, and if she's lucky all they'll do is curse her out for wearing it.

I do think the shirt is offensive(and stupid, considering who it has pictures of), but wishing ill will towards someone for being crazy enough to wear it is just as bad.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 01/13/14 at 10:47 pm

Is the shirt meant to be ironic?

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/14 at 2:01 am

I agree it is not a cool shirt at all.  Then again, I don't like that word in any form.

Agreed. I also don't like the "she's not even black" as if that would make it okay for her to wear it....it should never be okay.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/14 at 6:59 am

It's offensive.

Written By: ChuckyG on 01/14/14 at 7:23 am

it's clearly someone in Japan... and they frequently wear stuff with English words that are offensive or don't make sense.  Much in the same way people will get "asian character" tattoos and not understand the meaning.

Written By: warped on 01/14/14 at 7:36 am

it's clearly someone in Japan... and they frequently wear stuff with English words that are offensive or don't make sense.  Much in the same way people will get "asian character" tattoos and not understand the meaning.

That is what I was thinking. Here are a few more examples of such kind of tshirts. I put these here not meaning to offend anyone, just to provide other examples of stupid or offensive t-shirts.  All these shirts belong in the "Wrongest thread ever".

http://i.imgur.com/NqCuB.jpg

http://cdn.randomfunnypicture.com/wp2/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/niggas-love-blonds-tshirt-asian-chick.jpg

http://youoffendmeyouoffendmyfamily.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2010/05/cock-400x337.png

I had a co-worker once, recently arrived from from Kong...who wore the "n-- loves Blondes" tshirt to work. Many of the non-Asians were stunned, but no one had the guts to tell her ..so as usual, I did...and told her what the word meant and how offensive it was. 

She had "NO IDEA" what it meant, and was not familiar with the "n" term.

Her response? She was beside herself, so embarrassed  and began to cry. I had to grab one of the female co-workers to take her to the washroom so she could collect herself.  She wore her winter coat for the rest of the day so that no one would see her shirt. She gave me a hug and said she would throw the t-shirt away when she got home. She had only bought it coz she just dyed her hair blonde.

My wife is Chinese and until recently she had no idea what the "n" word meant either until we saw the mini-series ROOTS together last year.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/14/14 at 7:43 am

The post says she lives in California. I don't believe she doesn't know what it means. Besides, what also perturbs me is how apparently well-received the shirt is. I haven't seen one comment saying that the shirt was in poor taste. That gets me worried about the state of our society when people can praise this person for wearing a shirt like that in public.

Sorry for sounding so abrasive in my earlier post, I just really hate that word.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/14 at 7:45 am

The post says she lives in California. I don't believe she doesn't know what it means. Besides, what also perturbs me is how apparently well-received the shirt is. I haven't seen one comment saying that the shirt was in poor taste. That gets me worried about the state of our society when people can praise this person for wearing a shirt like that in public.

Sorry for sounding so abrasive in my earlier post, I just really hate that word.

I hope you aren't talking about this thread because there has been more than one post against it.  Starting with mine.

Written By: Mat1991 on 01/14/14 at 7:52 am

I hope you aren't talking about this thread because there has been more than one post against it.  Starting with mine.

No, I was talking about the website I found the picture on. If you look at the comments, you'll see what I mean.

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/14 at 8:16 am

No, I was talking about the website I found the picture on. If you look at the comments, you'll see what I mean.

Ah, okay.  Thanks for the clarification.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/14/14 at 9:04 am

If there is one good thing about shirts like these, it's that they make it much easier to spot idiots.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/14/14 at 12:58 pm

Well I'll never  book a flight to Japan.  :( Wow.

Written By: snozberries on 01/14/14 at 1:34 pm

Well I'll never  book a flight to Japan.  :( Wow.

Except that... And this is something to consider... They aren't aware of the connotation.  The shirts aren't being worn maliciously they probably hear the word thrown around casually in rap and in movies and in their desire to consume American culture without understand what it is they are celebrating.

It doesn't make it right but it's more ignorance than prejudice.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/14/14 at 1:55 pm

Except that... And this is something to consider... They aren't aware of the connotation.  The shirts aren't being worn maliciously they probably hear the word thrown around casually in rap and in movies and in their desire to consume American culture without understand what it is they are celebrating.

It doesn't make it right but it's more ignorance than prejudice.

That is true. Because somwhere overseas, there was a store called Hitler of all things and the people running it didn't realize the connotations until the death threats arrived.
http://www.absolutelyfobulous.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/hitler-store-india.jpg

Written By: Howard on 01/14/14 at 2:33 pm

That's why some of them don't understand, so why wear it in the first place if you don't know it's offensive?  ::)

Written By: Howard on 01/14/14 at 2:35 pm

That is true. Because somwhere overseas, there was a store called Hitler of all things and the people running it didn't realize the connotations until the death threats arrived.
http://www.absolutelyfobulous.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/08/hitler-store-india.jpg

Did he close his shop because of death threats? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/14 at 2:39 pm

Just a few tips for anyone who wears these shirts:

1. Be careful with your humor.
2. Be careful with sarcasm or irony. If you do use sarcasm or irony, be prepared to explain to people why you wore what you wore or said what you said.
3. Maybe it's best to avoid racial jokes or humor altogether, especially if your work place rules forbids it written, or unwritten.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/14/14 at 4:51 pm

2. Be careful with sarcasm or irony. If you do use sarcasm or irony, be prepared to explain to people why you wore what you wore or said what you said.
3. Maybe it's best to avoid racial jokes or humor altogether, especially if your work place rules forbids it written, or unwritten.

4. Be ready to get your ass whipped.  :P

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/14 at 5:04 pm

4. Be ready to get your ass whipped.  :P

You do number 3 so you don't have to go through number 4!  ;D

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/14/14 at 5:25 pm

Did he close his shop because of death threats? ???

Well, yeah. I mean wouldn't you? I'd fear for my life.  :o

Number 3. I have friends of all races and colors and I don't entertain/tolerate that kind of humor. A person can be funny, but not like that. It's uncalled for.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/14 at 5:33 pm

Well, yeah. I mean wouldn't you? I'd fear for my life.  :o
Number 3. I have friends of all races and colors and I don't entertain/tolerate that kind of humor. A person can be funny, but not like that. It's uncalled for.

Good for you!  :)

But I hope you're not one of those people who are bias, and don't criticize black people for telling jokes, but criticize whites and others for telling jokes. Because if you're going to paint a fence, why not paint both sides?

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/14/14 at 5:51 pm

Good for you!  :)

But I hope you're not one of those people who are bias, and don't criticize black people for telling jokes, but criticize whites and others for telling jokes. Because if you're going to paint a fence, why not paint both sides?

I'm not. I try to be as unbiased as possible. We're all humans, no one is better than the other. 

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/14 at 6:00 pm

I'm not. I try to be as unbiased as possible. We're all humans, no one is better than the other.

Cool. Karma point!

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/14 at 6:02 pm

it's clearly someone in Japan... and they frequently wear stuff with English words that are offensive or don't make sense. Much in the same way people will get "asian character" tattoos and not understand the meaning.

Like 'water' or 'lamb' or 'bunny'. ;D

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/14/14 at 6:04 pm

Like 'water' or 'lamb' or 'bunny'. ;D

Does it work the other way around?

http://jefferlydotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/asiangirlwithenglishtattoo.png

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/14/14 at 6:05 pm

Cool. Karma point!

Why, thank you. :)

Written By: Dagwood on 01/14/14 at 7:35 pm

That's why some of them don't understand, so why wear it in the first place if you don't know it's offensive?  ::)

Because they don't know it's offensive. 

Written By: 80sfan on 01/14/14 at 8:53 pm

Does it work the other way around?

http://jefferlydotcom.files.wordpress.com/2013/01/asiangirlwithenglishtattoo.png

Doesn't have the same effect, does it?  :)

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 01/14/14 at 9:08 pm

Doesn't have the same effect, does it?  :)

It might, in China.  :D

Written By: Howard on 01/15/14 at 7:12 am

and always choose wearing shirts with sayings wisely.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/15/14 at 7:17 am

and always choose wearing shirts with sayings wisely.
Never wear a shirt with a foreign language on it and you do not know what it says when translated into your own language.

Written By: Howard on 01/15/14 at 7:35 pm

Never wear a shirt with a foreign language on it and you do not know what it says when translated into your own language.

or you might get looks and stares from people on the street.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 01/15/14 at 7:40 pm

That sounds like something you'd get in a fortune cookie.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/16/14 at 7:27 am

I think some others wear offensive shirts too on the streets.

Written By: XYkid on 01/16/14 at 3:15 pm

It's like those people who go into tattoo parlours to get a random Chinese character inked on them. If they just said 'give me the one that looks coolest', I too would be tempted to ink the character for 'dumbass' on them as well.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 01/16/14 at 4:37 pm

She probably doesn't even know what that word means?

Check for new replies or respond here...