inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Neil Young officially unveils Pono hi-rez music player, street date TBD

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 01/24/14 at 9:56 pm

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/01/22/neil-young-will-unveil-his-potential-ipod-killer-music-system-in-march

http://www.buendiario.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/buendiario-neil-young-pono-formato-sistema-musical-para-competir-con-mp3-1.jpg

After a few years of hard work, dedication, and R&D, Neil Young is almost ready to unveil his ambitious high-resolution (presumably 24-bit/192kHz) music player/service and iTunes killer, Pono (Hawaiian for "righteous"; nothing to do with erotic media ;)). He give people their first sneak peek (or something like that) at South by Southwest (SXSW) in March.

I am so excited. We need music to return to studio master quality. We have Dolby TrueHD, DTS-HD Master Audio, and PCM on Blu-rays; FLAC is becoming a popular format; Some artists (Neil Young, Rush, Tom Petty, Nine Inch Nails, etc.) have released Blu-ray Audio Albums. It was only a matter of time that somebody applied hi-rez to "music-on-the-go."

It'll be like having a portable record player and collection, or a portable reel-to-reel. The other half of the service will be a store which sells music remastered to full-resolution. (CD's max out at 16-bit/44.1kHz; and don't get me started on iTunes or MP3s!) And presumably better mastering (more dynamic range, less brickwalling/compression/loudness wars).

Subject: Re: Neil Young to unveil Pono hi-rez music player in March @ SXSW

Written By: whistledog on 01/24/14 at 10:04 pm

It's triangular and very big.  "Is that a Pono in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
mp3s suit me fine

Written By: gibbo on 01/27/14 at 9:46 pm

It's triangular and very big.  "Is that a Pono in your pocket or are you just happy to see me?"
mp3s suit me fine

hey no need to be ponographic!

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/14 at 9:56 pm

hey no need to be ponographic!

If you put every album by your favourite artist on the Pono, does that make it Ponography? :D

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/12/14 at 8:29 pm

Neil has recently unveiled Pono (formally known as PonoMusic and PonoPlayer)! It's the #1 project on Kickstarter and has gone far beyond its $800,000 goal. They've got a s***load of artists, etc., singing the praises of Pono in the introductory video:

Bruce Springsteen
Eddie Vedder
Tom Petty
Dave Grohl
My Morning Jacket
Beck
Arcade Fire
Elton John ("The best sound I've heard since vinyl.")
David Crosby
T. Bone Burnett
Anthony Keidis
Flea
Rick Rubin
James Taylor
And the list goes on and on...
(And of course, Bernard Shakey himself ;))

They've been giving away Artist Signature editions of the players: Pearl Jam, James Taylor, CSN(Y), Willie Nelson, Beck, and Don Grungio.

Now that we're gonna get the best sound possible, will this be the end of misheard lyrics (barring the radio)?  ;D

Pono comes in black, yellow, and blue editions. MSRP is $400 smackaroos. The limited Artist editions are chrome with the artist's signature carved via laser and come pre-loaded with their favorite songs/albums. The online store (antiTunes? lol  ;D) is not yet live and no street date as of yet.

Here's the skinny:

Pono is not a new audio format/codec. Its native file type will be FLAC at up to 24-bit/192kHz! Woo hoo!  :D That being said, it will also be able to play back virtually any lossy format.

No DRM (Digital Rights Management) or proprietary BS.

Connections: (top end) Headphones (any headphones will do; the better the phones, the better the sound) and Line Out (to your car, stereo, home theater or other such system); (bottom end) USB.

That pretty much sums it up for now. Can't wait. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...