inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Lady Gaga still relevant?

Written By: SiderealDreams on 02/01/14 at 5:42 pm

I think I've been living in a bubble lately, but I noticed that I haven't really heard about her in a while. I remember that between about 2009 and 2012, she was all over the news and everyone was talking about her. Have her fifteen minutes of fame just about ended?

I thought she was better than most mainstream pop acts from the same time. I felt that her music seemed to have a slight EBM-futurepop influence. I don't think its a coincidence that several modern industrial and futurepop bands did covers of her songs.

Subject: Re: Is Lady Gaga still relevant?

Written By: whistledog on 02/01/14 at 6:04 pm

She might not have #1 hits or big sales like she used to, but doesn't mean her time is up.  Her latest album Artpop peaked at #1 in many countries, and it's two singles (so far):  Applause and Do What You Want have both hit the Top 20 in those same countries, which include Canada, United States and the UK

Here in Canada, Applause reached Double Platinum for over 160,000 downloads and Silver in the UK for over 200,000 downloads.  That's quite an achievement.  She's still a popular music star!

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/01/14 at 6:12 pm

She's not irrelevant.

She's just showing her Poker Face.  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 02/01/14 at 6:24 pm

She was SO popular 2008 to 2011. I think the whole Born This Way album scared people away. She became a bit too weird for a lot of people.

Written By: Jquar on 02/01/14 at 6:45 pm

She might not have #1 hits or big sales like she used to, but doesn't mean her time is up.  Her latest album Artpop peaked at #1 in many countries, and it's two singles (so far):  Applause and Do What You Want have both hit the Top 20 in those same countries, which include Canada, United States and the UK

Here in Canada, Applause reached Double Platinum for over 160,000 downloads and Silver in the UK for over 200,000 downloads.  That's quite an achievement.  She's still a popular music star!

Yeah, if having a #1 album makes you not relevant then I think a lot of musicians would absolutely love to be not relevant.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 02/01/14 at 9:44 pm

I'm wondering if Artpop could still yield a #1 single? So far there have only been two singles released from the album, which have peaked at #4 and #13

Written By: Creeder on 02/02/14 at 10:41 am

Lady GaGa is the symbol of the 2008-2012 transitional era. Now, she is old news. Sadly, things are getting progressively worse every year.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/02/14 at 12:57 pm

She isn't irrelevant, but she isn't the sensation that she was in 2009.  I think she peaked too soon.  I also think Born This Way was just too weird for a lot of people and too political. 

Written By: SiderealDreams on 02/02/14 at 2:16 pm

Lady GaGa is the symbol of the 2008-2012 transitional era. Now, she is old news. Sadly, things are getting progressively worse every year.

So you think she's is for 2008-2012 what either MC Hammer or Paula Abdul was for the 1988-1992 transitional period?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/02/14 at 2:29 pm

So you think she's is for 2008-2012 what either MC Hammer or Paula Abdul was for the 1988-1992 transitional period?

I thought the transitional periods were more like 2010-2014 and 1990-1994

Written By: Howard on 02/02/14 at 3:43 pm

She was SO popular 2008 to 2011. I think the whole Born This Way album scared people away. She became a bit too weird for a lot of people.

Her outfits were quite strange.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/02/14 at 3:59 pm

Her outfits were quite strange.
...quite?

Written By: 1993 on 02/02/14 at 11:50 pm

She was enormously popular for a while there...provocative, exotic. But what we're seeing now is a natural career lull. She'll make a comeback.

Trouble is when you reach those incredible heights of popularity, it's difficult to sustain. People were Gaga'd out.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 02/04/14 at 3:30 pm

She's still quite popular. Some people thought she was going to be bigger than Katy Perry, though.

Check for new replies or respond here...