inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Earthquakes around the world

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/14 at 8:45 am

A strong earthquake has been felt near Los Angeles, California.

The US Geological Survey recorded the 4.4 magnitude quake 9km (5.6 miles) from Westwood, California

The rolling quake struck shortly before 06:30 local time (13:30 GMT) on Monday.

Subject: Re: Earthquake felt near Los Angeles

Written By: XYkid on 03/17/14 at 11:57 am

Just an everyday thing for us in California.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/17/14 at 12:00 pm

If you’re on TV in the middle of an earthquake there’s only one thing you can do…

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KiB7ny52-xw

Written By: nally on 03/17/14 at 6:46 pm

I heard about it, but did not feel it.

Written By: XYkid on 03/17/14 at 7:29 pm

I was asleep when it happened, but apparently my dad heard the windows vibrating.

Written By: nally on 03/17/14 at 7:32 pm

I was awake when it happened, but I couldn't feel a thing, like I said. I think I was showering.

However, I do know a few people who did feel it.

Written By: Foo Bar on 03/17/14 at 9:18 pm

http://i.imgur.com/Zhnk1d3.gif

Written By: XYkid on 03/29/14 at 3:56 am

We had a 5.1 quake just today at 9PM. I live only a mile from where the epicentre was. It was scary, it felt like the world was ending, I thought it was gonna be the "big one" we were all waiting for. We've been having aftershocks all evening, the last one I felt was about 30 minutes ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/29/14 at 4:00 am

We had a 5.1 quake just today at 9PM. I live only a mile from where the epicentre was. It was scary, it felt like the world was ending, I thought it was gonna be the "big one" we were all waiting for. We've been having aftershocks all evening, the last one I felt was about 30 minutes ago.
Take care.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/14 at 4:04 am

I hope Snozberries is okay!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/14 at 4:06 am

Prayers to you and all of California!!  :(

Written By: Dagwood on 03/29/14 at 8:54 am

I hope Snozberries is okay!  :o

She's fine.  She posted about it on Facebook. :)

Written By: XYkid on 03/29/14 at 1:19 pm

Thank you all for your concerns. No one is hurt, the worst we had was some object falling out of the cupboards and breaking. We're still having aftershocks even 14 hours after the initial quake.
Snozberries lives about 2 hours from here, I don't think she felt much of it, if at all.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/14 at 3:18 pm

She's fine.  She posted about it on Facebook. :)

Did she feel anything with the quake? Or does she live in a different area than where the quake occurred?

Written By: nally on 03/29/14 at 5:15 pm

I heard about it last night while I was watching an exhibition game between the Angels and Dodgers. The centerfield camera was bobbing up and down; at first I thought someone was messing around with it or couldn't hold it stably, but the announcers mentioned that they were feeling shaking in the broadcast booth, so it was definitely a quake. We even checked the USGS website and found out about it in full. I felt nothing in Ventura County, btw.

Written By: nally on 03/29/14 at 5:16 pm

Did she feel anything with the quake? Or does she live in a different area than where the quake occurred?

I think she lives in a different area than where it occurred. A little bit further away from where I live, that much I know.

Prayers to you and all of California!!  :(

Thanks! :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/29/14 at 5:18 pm

This whole story is kinda shaky.  ;D

Written By: Dagwood on 03/29/14 at 7:08 pm

She was in L.A.  She said she didn't feel it because there was an autograph stampede at the same time.  You would have to ask her for all the details.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/14 at 9:04 pm

I think she lives in a different area than where it occurred. A little bit further away from where I live, that much I know.

Thanks! :)

Oh. 8)

Written By: 80sfan on 03/29/14 at 9:05 pm

She was in L.A.  She said she didn't feel it because there was an autograph stampede at the same time.  You would have to ask her for all the details.

;D

Subject: Earthquake has struck off the coast of western Indonesia

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/16 at 6:58 am

A 7.8 magnitude earthquake has struck off the coast of western Indonesia, the US Geological Survey (USGS) reports.

There have been no immediate reports of damage.

The USGS said the earthquake struck at 19:49 local time (12:49 GMT). It said the epicentre was 805km (500 miles) south-west of the city of Padang, and 24km deep.

Indonesia's National Meteorological Agency lifted its tsunami warnings several hours after the tremors.

Australian tsunami warnings for Cocos Island, Christmas Island and Western Australia were also lifted.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35704845

Subject: Re: Earthquakes around the world

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/03/16 at 5:01 pm

Heavy things.. the scariest are the tsunami's, before you know it, they're there.
I once experienced an earthquake, the l'Aquila one in 2009; felt like a very heavy truck outside (and I assumed it was a truck).

Written By: 2001 on 03/03/16 at 7:18 pm

Whenever I hear of earthquakes in the Indian Ocean in South East Asia I have a mini-panic attack. Heart racing, sweaty forehead and everything :(

The only earthquake I've experienced was one in 2011. It was a 5.1 I think, but I was almost 400 km from the epicentre so I didn't feel it that strong. It felt like someone dropped a really heavy gas tank at first, but then as the earthquake dragged on I knew it was an earthquake. It lasted about 30 seconds in total.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/04/16 at 3:23 am

I have never felt a real earthquake, the closes I have is in a simulator in a museum.

Written By: Howard on 03/04/16 at 7:32 am

I have never felt a real earthquake, the closes I have is in a simulator in a museum.

me neither.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/16 at 9:47 am

Very rare for the UK, but today...

An earthquake with a magnitude of 2.3 has been recorded in Oxfordshire, the British Geological Survey (BGS) has confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35743721

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/16 at 10:17 am

Very rare for the UK, but today...

An earthquake with a magnitude of 2.3 has been recorded in Oxfordshire, the British Geological Survey (BGS) has confirmed.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-35743721

Can a 2.3 earthquake be felt physically?

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/07/16 at 10:33 am

Residents in Chinnor and Thame as well as Princes Risborough, Aylesbury and Bledlow in Buckinghamshire reported feeling shaking late on Sunday.

Written By: nally on 03/09/16 at 12:08 am

I suppose it could; 22 years ago I felt plenty of aftershocks to the Northridge (California) quake, many of which were likely of that magnitude (or close to it).

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/11/16 at 3:13 am

Japan is marking the fifth anniversary of the earthquake and tsunami that left more than 18,000 dead or missing. PM Shinzo Abe and Emperor Akihito are attending a memorial in Tokyo, and joined a moment of silence nationwide at the exact moment the quake hit. The magnitude-9.0 quake struck offshore, creating a vast water surge that devastated the north-east coast. It also triggered the world's worst nuclear disaster since Chernobyl, at the Fukushima Daiichi nuclear plant. Water inundated the plant, taking cooling systems offline which set off a series of meltdowns.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-35781593

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/10/16 at 6:03 am

A magnitude 6.6 earthquake has been felt across a number of major cities across south-west Asia. The earthquake struck in Afghanistan, close to its border with Tajikistan, at 10:28 GMT, according to the US Geological Survey. There are reports the tremor was felt in Kabul, Lahore and in Delhi, forcing residents to leave their homes.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-36009407

Written By: nally on 04/10/16 at 11:31 am

A small earthquake was felt last week in Ventura County (just up the coastline from Los Angeles), but centered in the Pacific Ocean; this was Tuesday early morning. No major damage was caused.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/16 at 5:19 am

Today:

Rescuers have been searching for anyone trapped under rubble after a powerful earthquake hit southern Japan. At least nine people died and more than 860 were injured, officials said, as shaking toppled buildings. The magnitude 6.5 quake struck at 21:26 on Thursday (12:26 GMT), near Kumamoto city, on the island of Kyushu. The intensity of the quake was similar to that of the one in 2011, which sparked a huge tsunami and nuclear meltdown in Fukushima.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/15/16 at 12:19 pm

BREAKING NEWS:

A powerful earthquake has struck near the southern Japanese city of Kumamoto, a day after a tremor there killed at least nine people.
The magnitude-7.1 quake at a depth of 7km (4.4 miles) hit at 01:25 on Saturday (16:25 GMT on Friday). Another report says a second quake hit later. A tsunami warning has been issued, with waves of up to 1m (3ft) possible.

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/18/16 at 6:13 am

Ecuador earthquake: Deaths rise to 272

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-36067380

At least 272 people have been confirmed dead and more than 1,500 people injured after Ecuador was hit by its most powerful earthquake in decades. Some 10,000 troops and 3,500 police are being deployed in the affected areas, as rescue operations continue. The magnitude-7.8 quake struck on Saturday evening.

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/18/16 at 10:46 am

It's unruly around the Pacific. This makes me worry about San Francisco.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 04/18/16 at 11:37 am

It's unruly around the Pacific. This makes me worry about San Francisco.

It is called The Ring of Fire. That is where most of the active volcanoes are located as well as earthquake zone. It is how the tectonic plates interact with each other.

http://www.crystalinks.com/rof.jpg

Of course earthquakes can happen anywhere but where the tectonics plates meet is where you have the most activity.

Cat

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/20/16 at 4:00 am

Reports are coming through that there has been a second earthquake in or around Equator.

Check for new replies or respond here...