inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Do the 2010s have an Identity?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/01/14 at 5:51 pm

So far I see nothing other than it being the depression generation. 2013 and so far 2014 are pretty lackluster and a bore for music, trends, pop culture, TV.
The only exception is movies, where 2013 was unusually a very good year.

Subject: Re: Do the 2010s have an Identity?

Written By: XYkid on 05/01/14 at 5:54 pm

I think one of the major factors of the 2010s identity is blatantly copying retro styles and trying really hard to look like you're living in the 70s/80s/90s. The 2000s was somewhat similar in that way, but the 2000s style did it in more of a 'melting pot' manner where old things were taken and made modern. Now, there is little identity because most people seem to be pining for the past, and not wanting to create anything new.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 05/01/14 at 6:41 pm

I think it does, it's just hard to pin down/it's not super distinct. Maybe it's even still developing...Some would say the '60s didn't have much of an identity until they were more than halfway through.

Written By: dnt88 on 05/01/14 at 7:03 pm

IMO the 2000's didn't have an identity, the first half was a leftover from the 90's and the last 2 years were not very 2000's-like. The 2010's have an identity because it's all about electropop and a very defined group of fashion trends. Just like disco was prevalent in the 70's, new wave in the 80's and grunge in the 90's. The 2000's didn't have a music style of its own. And I think the retro styles look more refined now than ever before and more authentic. Lana del Rey for example has taken that style and she looks very elegant. The retro style of the 2000's was cheesy and people didn't take it seriously, it was a joke.

2000's = economic crisis, bush, war on terror, 9/11. 2010's = obama, more rights for gay people, people trying to move on and make things better (economy slowly recovering), arab spring (old regimes falling apart)..... and that's why I think this decade is much better than 2000's.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/01/14 at 7:16 pm

IMO the 2000's didn't have an identity, the first half was a leftover from the 90's and the last 2 years were not very 2000's-like. The 2010's have an identity because it's all about electropop and a very defined group of fashion trends. Just like disco was prevalent in the 70's, new wave in the 80's and grunge in the 90's. The 2000's didn't have a music style of its own. And I think the retro styles look more refined now than ever before and more authentic. Lana del Rey for example has taken that style and she looks very elegant. The retro style of the 2000's was cheesy and people didn't take it seriously, it was a joke.

2000's = economic crisis, bush, war on terror, 9/11. 2010's = obama, more rights for gay people, people trying to move on and make things better (economy slowly recovering), arab spring (old regimes falling apart)..... and that's why I think this decade is much better than 2000's.

I wasn't a fan of the 00s but it did have an identity. The 00s was pretty much dueling between 2 forces. There was on one hand rap and hip hop everywhere. People were basically flashing gang signs and pretending to be Crips or Bloods. Teens acted like the main characters on Malibu's Most Wanted. I wanted it to be over then because it was the "ghetto decade".

On the other hand there was darker rock music. Back in 2006 you would go to the mall and see all the Emo kids walking around. People would have Myspace wars and video diaries on their lives. There was emo vs. scene vs. metal vs. goth. There was also pop punk vs. nu-metal during the early 2000s.

TV had a bigger presence and people were still talking about what was on. The news was a joke back then because they constantly covered Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/01/14 at 7:58 pm

In my opinion, music is getting worse, the economy is a lot worse now compared to the early 2000s, much more debt, and regimes are collapsing but being replaced by much worse. These times will either end very badly or very well depending on what directions people take.

Written By: Foo Bar on 05/01/14 at 8:08 pm

In my opinion, music is getting worse, the economy is a lot worse now compared to the early 2000s, much more debt, and regimes are collapsing but being replaced by much worse. These times will either end very badly or very well depending on what directions people take.

So it's just like the 80s? :)

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/01/14 at 8:23 pm

One thing I've noticed in the 2010's is there has been a lot of TV stars from the 1960's passing away.  I don't remember that happening very much in, like the 1980s.

Written By: warped on 05/01/14 at 8:27 pm

One thing I've noticed in the 2010's is there has been a lot of TV stars from the 1960's passing away.  I don't remember that happening very much in, like the 1980s.

Maybe because there wasn't any TV in the 1930s. 

Written By: Katluver on 05/01/14 at 8:29 pm

Hard to explain, but I think I see the 00s and 10s having their own identity.

Many of you might disagree, but the 00s seemed based on terrorism and was somewhat about "sexified" glamour while the 10s seems about focusing on your inner nerd.

Written By: J. Rob on 05/01/14 at 10:21 pm

The 00s definitely had an identity....20+ inch rims, throwback jerseys, baggy pants, gold chains, suburban posers who wanted to be "gangsta/ghetto"....it was a Hip Hop dominated.

For the 10s, the mainstream is just all over the place....but I'm getting a somewhat minimalist, cold, dark, and spacy vibe that bubbling underground and on the fringe of the mainstream. Lana Del Rey, James Blake, The Weeknd, FKA Twigs, Florence & The Machine, Kelela, SZA, Jhene Aiko, etc....all kinda give off the vibe I'm talking about

Written By: dnt88 on 05/02/14 at 12:56 am

I wasn't a fan of the 00s but it did have an identity. The 00s was pretty much dueling between 2 forces. There was on one hand rap and hip hop everywhere. People were basically flashing gang signs and pretending to be Crips or Bloods. Teens acted like the main characters on Malibu's Most Wanted. I wanted it to be over then because it was the "ghetto decade".

On the other hand there was darker rock music. Back in 2006 you would go to the mall and see all the Emo kids walking around. People would have Myspace wars and video diaries on their lives. There was emo vs. scene vs. metal vs. goth. There was also pop punk vs. nu-metal during the early 2000s.

TV had a bigger presence and people were still talking about what was on. The news was a joke back then because they constantly covered Britney Spears and Paris Hilton.

Are you kidding me? Hip hop and rap has existed since the 80's, and the 90's had much better rap than the 00's. And emo???? those were just a bunch of kids screaming. I am sorry but I see 00's identity very scattered, with a lot of genres going in different directions. The 00's didn't have a force that brought everyone together, like disco in the 70's, new wave in the 80's or electropop in the 10's. And I remember that rock music was not THAT popular as you are saying. Nobody cared about goth or nu metal in the 00's.

TV sucked because it was all about stupid reality tv shows and dumb celebrities like britney or paris. Myspace was a mid 00's thing, it doesn't even define the whole decade the way facebook defines the 10's. The economy is worse today but it was the 00's fault, people were very materialistic, they only cared about buying things and then everything started to fall apart in 2007-2008. Which makes the whole 00's even worse in my eyes.

9/11, wars in iraq and afghanistan, economic meltdown of 08, bush's reelection, hurricane katrina, the world's food crisis of 07 and PARIS HILTON makes the 00's the worse decade ever in the history of humanity.

Written By: dnt88 on 05/02/14 at 1:05 am

The 00s definitely had an identity....20+ inch rims, throwback jerseys, baggy pants, gold chains, suburban posers who wanted to be "gangsta/ghetto"....it was a Hip Hop dominated.

For the 10s, the mainstream is just all over the place....but I'm getting a somewhat minimalist, cold, dark, and spacy vibe that bubbling underground and on the fringe of the mainstream. Lana Del Rey, James Blake, The Weeknd, FKA Twigs, Florence & The Machine, Kelela, SZA, Jhene Aiko, etc....all kinda give off the vibe I'm talking about

Baggy pants, gold chains, gangsta people? are you for real? Not a lot of people dressed that way back in the 00's. Fashion in the 80's for example was universal, everyone was wearing those 80's clothes. The 10's have their own fashion trends which everyone is using today and the majority of people in the 00's were still using the clothes from the late 90's. :D

Written By: Emman on 05/02/14 at 2:23 am

or electropop in the 10's.

Most people seem to call it EDM now, I pretty much agree it's the defining musical trend of the 2010s, especially when it comes to Millennials.

wobble bass is heard all over commercials and movie trailers, trap beats are all over pop songs in 2013 and 2014(like Dark Horse, Turn Down For What, ect).

I'm not sure if the 2010s have a distinctive fashion sense though(unless it's that hipster crap, which is arguably a holdover from the '00s).

And the '00s were called "the decade from hell" for a reason too :D.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/14 at 3:42 pm

I don't know if that would have anything to do with the 2010's having an identity.

Written By: Howard on 05/02/14 at 3:45 pm

TV sucked because it was all about stupid reality tv shows and dumb celebrities like britney or paris. Myspace was a mid 00's thing, it doesn't even define the whole decade the way facebook defines the 10's. The economy is worse today but it was the 00's fault, people were very materialistic, they only cared about buying things and then everything started to fall apart in 2007-2008. Which makes the whole 00's even worse in my eyes.

I agree, those stupid reality tv shows started the 2000's.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/02/14 at 3:46 pm

Are you kidding me? Hip hop and rap has existed since the 80's, and the 90's had much better rap than the 00's. And emo???? those were just a bunch of kids screaming. I am sorry but I see 00's identity very scattered, with a lot of genres going in different directions. The 00's didn't have a force that brought everyone together, like disco in the 70's, new wave in the 80's or electropop in the 10's. And I remember that rock music was not THAT popular as you are saying. Nobody cared about goth or nu metal in the 00's.

9/11, wars in iraq and afghanistan, economic meltdown of 08, bush's reelection, hurricane katrina, the world's food crisis of 07 and PARIS HILTON makes the 00's the worse decade ever in the history of humanity.

00s TV was either very dumb or very intelligent. You had shows like House and Dexter on one hand but you also had horrible reality shows on the other hand. It was a mix of basically the best TV you ever saw and the worst TV. Right now TV is in a blah state. Nothing really bad and nothing really good on.

I remember back in 06/07 you would go to the mall and see droves of teenagers dressing Emo, writing in their diaries, and hanging out in front of Hot Topic. You really couldn't escape them. Right now I see people dressing all over the place.

As for rock, people did care in the earlier 00s, as in teens of the early 2000s.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/02/14 at 4:00 pm

I've heard this bubbling under the surface since the early 2010s. In a couple years I hope it becomes the mainstream style.

Written By: af2010 on 05/03/14 at 7:45 pm

I don't think you can determine a decade's identity when it's still in progress.  You have to have the right perspective to look back on it as a whole.  I actually think it's still too early to tell what the 2000s identity was.  The 90s identity has only really cemented within the past few years.  When the 2010s are old and dated and someone throws a '2010s party', then you'll see its identity ;)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/03/14 at 9:23 pm

This is the smartphone decade. Even though it started in the late 00s,they were not that 'necessary' back then.

Written By: Howard on 05/04/14 at 3:36 pm

This is the smartphone decade. Even though it started in the late 00s,they were not that 'necessary' back then.

It's definitely the cell phone decade.

Written By: Visor765 on 05/21/14 at 12:53 am

Most people seem to call it EDM now, I pretty much agree it's the defining musical trend of the 2010s, especially when it comes to Millennials.

wobble bass is heard all over commercials and movie trailers, trap beats are all over pop songs in 2013 and 2014(like Dark Horse, Turn Down For What, ect).

I'm not sure if the 2010s have a distinctive fashion sense though(unless it's that hipster crap, which is arguably a holdover from the '00s).

And the '00s were called "the decade from hell" for a reason too :D.

Hipster is definitely NOT a holdover from the 2000s. In the late 2000s it was actually a foretaste of what was to come later, which continues to this very day. It's lasted way longer in the 2010s than in the 2000s, so therefore, it is a 2010s thing, not a 2000s thing. But generally, hipsters have been around for decades. As a matter of fact, the name "hippie" actually came from the word hipster. That word has existed since the 1940s. The subculture has always been around, and as with any subculture, it has evolved throughout the times.

And I think any decade is called "the decade from hell" right after it's over. No one decade is objectively better or objectively worse (okay, except 1930s, those were truly bad times). Look at the archive posts on this website, people hated the 90s too, and they criticized them, and beat them. Grunge, President Clinton, the Macarena, and Alanis Morissette were seen as bad things. Now they're seen as good things, and are back in again. They did it with the 70s, they did it with the 80s, they did it with the 90s, now it's the 2000s turn. It's only natural that this happens.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/21/14 at 9:24 am

TV sucks more now I say because shows all copy eachother now. All the redneck reality shows are just atrocious! Honey Boo Boo having the least amount of taste.  ::) Then there are the shows that follow families who have many children. 19 Kids and Counting, and something on about these people who have five daughters. Celebrity gossip was bad back then, but is very obsessive now with TMZ and nightly "news" channels dedicated to it.

Movies appear to be alot of comic book based characters like Captain America, Spiderman, The Avengers. That didn't start this decade, but I see it more.

MySpace paved the way for Facebook, which is less popular among younger people than it is now, but it's still dominant so there is no good rival at the moment. Instagram and Snap Chat and Vine, whatever that is, are the things I hear about alot, but they're phone apps where your phone is the main device to use them on not the computer. That's a big difference this decade.

When smart phones first came out, they weren't affordable to everyone and were contract only, now most people can have one and they do just about everything.

Privacy is a thing of the past too, and that's the scary part.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/21/14 at 1:42 pm

So far I see nothing other than it being the depression generation. 2013 and so far 2014 are pretty lackluster and a bore for music, trends, pop culture, TV.
Give it a decade and ask the same question again!

Written By: Sita0 on 05/21/14 at 7:34 pm

This decade is the decade of hipsters, smartphones, and the internet. In this decade, technology became an essential part of many people's lives. In the '00s, I often went without computers for a few days.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/22/14 at 7:32 am

This decade is the decade of hipsters, smartphones, and the internet. In this decade, technology became an essential part of many people's lives. In the '00s, I often went without computers for a few days.

I didn't often go without my computer, but my first cell phone was in 2004 and you could just make calls and play games on it...and I didn't know how to play the games or mess with the settings because they were not user friendly at all.  >:(

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 9:41 am

That's all we do these days, we rely on the internet more than ever.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/14 at 10:20 am

IMO the 2000's didn't have an identity, the first half was a leftover from the 90's and the last 2 years were not very 2000's-like. The 2010's have an identity because it's all about electropop and a very defined group of fashion trends. Just like disco was prevalent in the 70's, new wave in the 80's and grunge in the 90's. The 2000's didn't have a music style of its own.

The 2000s did have a musical identity.  It was hip-hop and r&b definitively.  Also, in retrospect 2008 and 2009 fit more with the 2000s than they do the '10s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/22/14 at 2:08 pm

That's all we do these days, we rely on the internet more than ever.
Not all the time, I still have my reference books.

Written By: Howard on 05/22/14 at 6:36 pm

Not all the time, I still have my reference books.

and I still have my reference newspapers.

Written By: Jessica on 05/22/14 at 6:41 pm

You can reference deez nutz.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 05/22/14 at 6:55 pm

Yes, I think they do because I have seen the hipster trend going mainstream. Smartphones are used everyday for almost everything. Ipads/Tabs are used as a sub for PCs. Social Media is stronger than before with billions of people using it everyday. Lot of people are going to the gym to be healthy and fit. The LGBT are being accepted more. Most of the music is independent. Online gaming is expanding. Everyone is now watching TV and movies on either Netflix. Hulu, or Amazon. The fashion has changed significantly with women having short hair, everyone getting tatted, nerd glasses, leggings, etc. Last, there is the selfie trend with the photo taking comprised of one person or groups of people of themselves.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/23/14 at 7:39 am

The 2000s did have a musical identity.  It was hip-hop and r&b definitively.  Also, in retrospect 2008 and 2009 fit more with the 2000s than they do the '10s.

They seem in between the two eras. I think the last of the 00s was summer 2008, before the crash happened. That was the last time it felt relatively care free compared to now.
Here are some interesting predictions made in early 06 about 2008:

I wonder if 2007 or 2008 will be more definitive.  I think in 2008, the '00s will go out with a bang, when the Democrats win the election.  Electric atmosphere than, than after things will change during the next 4 years or so.  Like how the '80s didn't really start becoming the '90s until Reagan was gone

Written By: Howard on 05/23/14 at 3:55 pm

Social Media is stronger than before with billions of people using it everyday.

people use it now to get in touch with others.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/14 at 4:34 pm

people use it now to get in touch with others.
Especially from the other side of the world.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/14 at 4:54 pm

Everyone is now watching TV and movies on either Netflix. Hulu, or Amazon.

They quit cable channels.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/14 at 4:55 pm

They quit cable channels.
I am not watching them.

Written By: Howard on 05/23/14 at 4:57 pm

I am not watching them.

My father loves Netflix.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/23/14 at 5:08 pm

My father loves Netflix.
You have to pay for that service here.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 05/23/14 at 7:20 pm

Like how the '80s didn't really start becoming the '90s until Reagan was gone

Oh my god...

Written By: XYkid on 05/23/14 at 11:54 pm

They seem in between the two eras. I think the last of the 00s was summer 2008, before the crash happened. That was the last time it felt relatively care free compared to now.
Here are some interesting predictions made in early 06 about 2008:
The economy actually crashed in late '07 and got worse throughout '08.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/24/14 at 1:47 am

The economy actually crashed in late '07 and got worse throughout '08.

It actually crashed in fall 2008

"On September 16, 2008, failures of massive financial institutions in the United States, due primarily to exposure of securities of packaged subprime loans and credit default swaps issued to insure these loans and their issuers, rapidly devolved into a global crisis resulting in a number of bank failures in Europe and sharp reductions in the value of equities (stock) and commodities worldwide. The failure of banks in Iceland resulted in a devaluation of the Icelandic króna and threatened the government with bankruptcy. Iceland was able to secure an emergency loan from the International Monetary Fund in November. In the United States, 15 banks failed in 2008, while several others were rescued through government intervention or acquisitions by other banks. On October 11, 2008, the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) warned that the world financial system was teetering on the "brink of systemic meltdown.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market_crash#Crash_of_2008.E2.80.932009

I think this marked the end of an era as well as the Obama election.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/24/14 at 2:14 am

It actually crashed in fall 2008

"On September 16, 2008, failures of massive financial institutions in the United States, due primarily to exposure of securities of packaged subprime loans and credit default swaps issued to insure these loans and their issuers, rapidly devolved into a global crisis resulting in a number of bank failures in Europe and sharp reductions in the value of equities (stock) and commodities worldwide. The failure of banks in Iceland resulted in a devaluation of the Icelandic króna and threatened the government with bankruptcy. Iceland was able to secure an emergency loan from the International Monetary Fund in November. In the United States, 15 banks failed in 2008, while several others were rescued through government intervention or acquisitions by other banks. On October 11, 2008, the head of the International Monetary Fund (IMF) warned that the world financial system was teetering on the "brink of systemic meltdown.""

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stock_market_crash#Crash_of_2008.E2.80.932009

I think this marked the end of an era as well as the Obama election.
Worse than the crash in 1929?

Written By: Slim95 on 05/24/14 at 11:57 pm

It did have a style of its own, but it was just a combination of 90s and 2010s music. So pretty much a transition in between 90s music and 2010's music. It didn't have a unique style though.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/25/14 at 12:28 am

I'd say 2010's have a much, much stronger identity than the 00's. It's only 4 years in and you can notice it very much already. It's not as scattered as the 00's. You know you're in the 2010's if you hear electropop, have a tablet or smartphone, dress like a hipster say the word selfie, use popular phone apps as social media like snapchat (especially younger teens) and have a black American president. 2000's was a little all over the place but it still had an identity, it just wasn't nearly as strong as 2010's identity. In terms of music, electropop has dominated the charts since 2008. Indie music has joined in 2012 and Indie music, electro pop, disco style songs and some other styles mixed together have all been complementing the charts and will continue to do so until around 2018 probably so this is the main style of music for the 2010's no doubt. What you hear on the radio now is pretty much the "2010's sound" in terms of music. I'd say we hit an identity it's just people don't think about it much but it's obvious we have some sort of 2010's identity.

Written By: whistledog on 05/25/14 at 11:59 am

I'd say 2010's have a much, much stronger identity than the 00's. It's only 4 years in and you can notice it very much already. It's not as scattered as the 00's. You know you're in the 2010's if you hear electropop, have a tablet or smartphone, dress like a hipster say the word selfie, use popular phone apps as social media like snapchat (especially younger teens) and have a black American president. 2000's was a little all over the place but it still had an identity, it just wasn't nearly as strong as 2010's identity. In terms of music, electropop has dominated the charts since 2008. Indie music has joined in 2012 and Indie music, electro pop, disco style songs and some other styles mixed together have all been complementing the charts and will continue to do so until around 2018 probably so this is the main style of music for the 2010's no doubt. What you hear on the radio now is pretty much the "2010's sound" in terms of music. I'd say we hit an identity it's just people don't think about it much but it's obvious we have some sort of 2010's identity.

2009 was just a shell of 2010, but it didn't have the identity that 2011 did.  2008 on the other hand was more like 2011 then 2009

Written By: Emman on 05/26/14 at 7:57 am

The one at the end is the 2010s.

http://s3.amazonaws.com/rapgenius/1335924388_tumblr_m1864xRrWa1rs7td6o1_500.jpg

I think the EDM trend is the strongest identifiable thing about the 2010s so far, The Great Recession as well.

There was a definite shift around 2009, that's when economy really started tanking, Obama became president and the first proper "EDM" songs started becoming popular(I Got A Feeling, Sexy Bitch, ect).

Written By: Howard on 05/26/14 at 8:02 am

I think the EDM trend is the strongest identifiable thing about the 2010s so far, The Great Recession as well.

There was a definite shift around 2009, that's when economy really started tanking, Obama became president and the first proper "EDM" songs started becoming popular(I Got A Feeling, Sexy Bitch, ect).

the clothing really changed over the past 30 years. :o

Written By: Emman on 05/26/14 at 8:17 am

the clothing really changed over the past 30 years. :o

That's hip-hop fashion in particular, the first guy looks like a break dancer from the mid/late '80s, the second guy has that '90s hardcore New York gangsta thing going, the third guy looks like Lil Jon or some other dirty south rapper from the '00s, the final guy is some kind of black hipster(looks like Lil Wayne?).

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/26/14 at 8:21 am

I can tell, and they STILL manage to sag their pants no matter how tight!  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/26/14 at 3:13 pm

That's hip-hop fashion in particular, the first guy looks like a break dancer from the mid/late '80s, the second guy has that '90s hardcore New York gangsta thing going, the third guy looks like Lil Jon or some other dirty south rapper from the '00s, the final guy is some kind of black hipster(looks like Lil Wayne?).

You know Emman, I prefer the first guy on the right the one who dresses like a break dancer, the other guy on the left dresses like a total slob! ::)

Written By: Howard on 05/26/14 at 3:14 pm

I can tell, and they STILL manage to sag their pants no matter how tight!  :o

and show underwear.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/14 at 2:59 am

Do the 2010s have an Identity? It is too early to say!

Written By: Howard on 05/27/14 at 6:18 am

just have to wait another couple of years.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/14 at 7:35 am

http://i293.photobucket.com/albums/mm66/Phil_O-Sopher/1392271710224.jpg

Written By: dnt88 on 05/28/14 at 7:00 pm

LMAO, I don't think it's too early to say. By 1984, the 80's already had their true identity, and also the 90's in 1994 and the 00's in 2004. The true indentity years of a decade are always the years in the middle (4,5,6). People will look back at the 2010's and they'll think about how cheesy EDM was (just like disco).  ;D There will be a backlash against the 2010's in the 2020's, because 2010's culture is extremely cheesy and retarded. Even 2000's culture was better (which leaves much to be desired, lol).  :D

Written By: Slim95 on 05/28/14 at 7:05 pm

I agree this is a very cheesy decade.

Written By: sonikuu on 05/29/14 at 7:41 am

LMAO, I don't think it's too early to say. By 1984, the 80's already had their true identity, and also the 90's in 1994 and the 00's in 2004. The true indentity years of a decade are always the years in the middle (4,5,6). People will look back at the 2010's and they'll think about how cheesy EDM was (just like disco).  ;D There will be a backlash against the 2010's in the 2020's, because 2010's culture is extremely cheesy and retarded. Even 2000's culture was better (which leaves much to be desired, lol).  :D

To be honest, I think the days of "decade backlashes" are in the past.  The backlash against the 90s in the 00s didn't feel that particularly strong.  The 90s weren't cool, but neither were they viewed by many as the definition of uncool.  They were just...there.  I feel the same is true for the 00s.  They're not cool anymore, but I don't see this massive backlash against the decade that some people back in 2007 or so were saying would happen. 

I think the whole decade backlash thing is mostly a thing of the past.  Especially since it seems like a lot of nostalgia is focused around childhood now, as opposed to the teenage-dominated nostalgia that used to be the norm, and I think that lessens the chances of a massive backlash even more. 

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 7:54 am

Top Cheese Facts

Cheese is bought by over 98% of British households.
Cheese is a concentrated form of milk. It takes 10 litres of milk to make one kilogram of Cheddar.
A small matchbox sized piece of Cheddar (30 grams) contains about 30% of the recommended daily calcium intake for adults; it also contains protein, vitamin B12, phosphorus and 10.5 grams of fat and 125 calories.
We consume around 700,000 tonnes of cheese a year (including Cottage cheese and Fromage Frais) at home, in restaurants and in processed food. If you exclude Fromage Frais and Cottage Cheese it is about 600,000 tonnes - which is equivalent to about 10 kgs per person per year or 27.4 grams per person per day. Our European counterparts eat almost twice as much as much cheese per person per day as we do, mainly because European breakfasts often feature cheese.
Cheddar is the UK’s favourite cheese, accounting for 55% of household purchases.
There are around 700 named cheeses made in the UK.
The second most popular cheese is Mozzarella – most of which is made in the UK.
Cheese producers in the UK also make versions of Camembert and Brie.
Coloured cheeses like Red Leicester, Double Gloucester and coloured Cheddar and Cheshire get their red colouring from Annatto, a natural flavourless vegetable extract from the seed of a South American tree.
Some British cheeses have a PDO (Protected Designation of Origin). West Country Farmhouse Cheddar can only be produced in the West Country (Devon, Dorset, Somerset and Cornwall) and Stilton can only be produced in Nottinghamshire, Derbyshire and Leicestershire.
Cheese can be made from all sorts of milk – not only cows’ milk but also sheep, goat, buffalo and yak milks.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/29/14 at 7:56 am

A decade's defining years can be any part of it that had the most memorable of times, fads, and culture. Middle doesn't always mean height of it all.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 8:17 am

why is it cheesy?

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 8:40 am

why is it cheesy?

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/hometowngirl56/cheese.gif

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 9:05 am

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/hometowngirl56/cheese.gif

too cheesy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 10:00 am

too cheesy.

http://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/hometowngirl56/cheese.gifhttp://i424.photobucket.com/albums/pp327/hometowngirl56/cheese.gif

Written By: nintieskid999 on 05/29/14 at 10:09 am

To be honest, I think the days of "decade backlashes" are in the past.  The backlash against the 90s in the 00s didn't feel that particularly strong.  The 90s weren't cool, but neither were they viewed by many as the definition of uncool.  They were just...there.  I feel the same is true for the 00s.  They're not cool anymore, but I don't see this massive backlash against the decade that some people back in 2007 or so were saying would happen. 

I think the whole decade backlash thing is mostly a thing of the past.  Especially since it seems like a lot of nostalgia is focused around childhood now, as opposed to the teenage-dominated nostalgia that used to be the norm, and I think that lessens the chances of a massive backlash even more.

The reason the 00s backlash never happened in the 2010s is because the 00s backlash happened when the 00s were going on.
A lot of people disliked the decade as they were going on and by the time the 2010s arrived it had been backlashed out.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 05/29/14 at 11:09 am

I agree that previous decade backlashes seem to be a thing of the past. I remember that at a kid/preteen in the 90's, people acted like the 80's were unbearable. Anything from the 80's that was obviously 80's was considered completely uncool. I never experienced anything similar with regard to the 90's during the 00's. Maybe they were considered a little dated and quaint, but in many ways, they still seemed similar to the then current 00's. I didn't even really think of the 90's as a separate period until about one day in late 2006. It was during my first year at the university and a special trip to Fred Meyers had been arranged for the students of my university to buy what was needed for the dorm rooms. I remember that a song by the Backstreet Boys came on through the speakers and I thought, "Wow, that's song is about 10 years old now." I think that there was much more pop cultural continuity between the 90's and 00's than between the 80's and 90's. Why this is, I don't know.

Written By: SiderealDreams on 05/29/14 at 11:12 am

The reason the 00s backlash never happened in the 2010s is because the 00s backlash happened when the 00s were going on.
A lot of people disliked the decade as they were going on and by the time the 2010s arrived it had been backlashed out.

I agree. It almost seems that, culturally speaking, the 10's began in 2008 (at least in the US) with the large scale rejection of Bush adminstration politics and the emergence of Lady Gaga signaling the dominance of electropop on the charts.

Written By: Slim95 on 05/29/14 at 11:14 am

why is it cheesy?

Colourful clothing, cheesy autotune music, Selfies, Snapchat, Swag/Yolo, Harlem Shake, Gangnam Style, One Direction, Justin Beiber, Happy by Pharell. These are just to name a few.  :)

Written By: dnt88 on 05/29/14 at 12:22 pm

Colourful clothing, cheesy autotune music, Selfies, Snapchat, Swag/Yolo, Harlem Shake, Gangnam Style, One Direction, Justin Beiber, Happy by Pharell. These are just to name a few.  :)

OMG the 2010's are the epitome of cheesy.  8-P If we surpass the cheesyness of the 70's, this decade will be the laughinstock of the century. How sad  :\'(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 05/29/14 at 2:34 pm

Probably smartphones.

Written By: Howard on 05/29/14 at 2:39 pm

That's probably the identity for this decade.

Written By: Mat1991 on 05/29/14 at 3:03 pm

OMG the 2010's are the epitome of cheesy.  8-P If we surpass the cheesyness of the 70's, this decade will be the laughinstock of the century. How sad  :\'(

Not quite. There will still be eight decades left in the 21st century...plenty of time to surpass the current one's cheesiness.

Written By: Visor765 on 05/29/14 at 3:56 pm

Oh believe me, there is/was. I think it's dying out now, because the 2010s are almost half over, but it's still around. Usually the backlash is most intense the first five years after a certain decade is over, and people start to like it again, slowly, little by little. After all, 80s nostalgia started in 1996! I only see a "00s backlash in the 00s" from 2005 onwards, and the first half was backlash-free.

Written By: B306 on 06/11/14 at 7:49 am

The 2010s do have their own identity. It isn't too different from what came before it, but there are things around now, such as the male undercut hairstyle, coloured skinny jeans, hipster clothing and dubstep that are quite defining features, and will probably be remembered.

I agree that previous decade backlashes seem to be a thing of the past. I remember that at a kid/preteen in the 90's, people acted like the 80's were unbearable. Anything from the 80's that was obviously 80's was considered completely uncool. I never experienced anything similar with regard to the 90's during the 00's. Maybe they were considered a little dated and quaint, but in many ways, they still seemed similar to the then current 00's. I didn't even really think of the 90's as a separate period until about one day in late 2006. It was during my first year at the university and a special trip to Fred Meyers had been arranged for the students of my university to buy what was needed for the dorm rooms. I remember that a song by the Backstreet Boys came on through the speakers and I thought, "Wow, that's song is about 10 years old now." I think that there was much more pop cultural continuity between the 90's and 00's than between the 80's and 90's. Why this is, I don't know.

As a 'tweenager' in the mid 00s, I can remember that a good deal of stuff from the 90s did have a dated feel to it. I particularly remember jokes being made about curtained hair. But stuff from about 1998 onwards felt quite current at the time.

I think pop culture undergoes evolution rather than revolution now.

Written By: Emman on 06/11/14 at 3:30 pm

Maybe this qualifies ;D

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCawU6BE8P8

Written By: Howard on 06/11/14 at 5:38 pm

Maybe this qualifies ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XCawU6BE8P8

Written By: HazelBlue99 on 11/08/17 at 7:41 am

Now that we are approaching 2018, what are your thoughts on this? Do the 2010s have an identity? I will provide my opinion on it sometime tomorrow, because it's currently 12:41am where I live and i'm going to bed very soon. :P

Written By: Zelek3 on 11/08/17 at 7:45 am

Very much so.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/08/17 at 10:12 am

Hipsters, slang like “lit” trap music, memes, social media like Snapchat, Instagram. Idk if this is what makes it have an “identity” tho. I just know these are one of the most popular things in this decade.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/08/17 at 10:16 am

I know this post is old, but I do agree with what you said. I think this decade really does have a strong identity.

Written By: Shemp97 on 11/08/17 at 7:44 pm

Hipsters, slang like “lit” trap music, memes, social media like Snapchat, Instagram. Idk if this is what makes it have an “identity” tho. I just know these are one of the most popular things in this decade.

... Twitter, smartphones, tablets, Windows 10, PS4, Switch, 2015 Paris Attacks, Hurricane Harvey, Obama, Trump, Brexit, 808s EDM pop music, skinny jeans, thick 'brows, black and white fashion, etc.

Written By: TheEarly90sFan on 11/08/17 at 10:09 pm

The 2010s are the time of Marvel Cinematic Universe films, Taylor Swift’s music, Twitter, The Walking Dead tv show, and skinny jeans.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/11/17 at 5:53 pm

Hipsters, slang like “lit” trap music, memes, social media like Snapchat, Instagram. Idk if this is what makes it have an “identity” tho. I just know these are one of the most popular things of this decade.

... Twitter, smartphones, tablets, Windows 10, PS4, Switch, 2015 Paris Attacks, Hurricane Harvey, Obama, Trump, Brexit, 808s EDM pop music, skinny jeans, thick 'brows, black and white fashion, etc.
All of this!

Written By: ofkx on 11/18/17 at 5:21 pm

It definitely does! Twitter memes, Musical.ly, Vine(RIP), Instagram, etc...

If you want to see what the 2010s look like, Look up Instagram baddie on google image search. They're the epitome of 2010s culture and fashion.

Written By: Rainbowz on 11/25/17 at 12:48 pm

It definitely does! Twitter memes, Musical.ly, Vine(RIP), Instagram, etc...

If you want to see what the 2010s look like, Look up Instagram baddie on google image search. They're the epitome of 2010s culture and fashion.

I agree with this. Those pictures do scream 2010s

Check for new replies or respond here...