inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: CANCON - Canadian Music of the 2010s

Written By: whistledog on 05/08/14 at 7:28 pm

I don't believe I did one of these for new music.  I may just be talking to myself in this topic, but feel free to contribute :)

Here is one by a group called MAGIC!  This is already familiar to Canada and Australia where it was first released in 2013, but it recently has made an impact in the States.  Will this one make the US Top 40 ...

(* indicates the song has not peaked in the chart yet)

MAGIC! - Rude *
PIh2xe4jnpk

----------------------

Armin Van Buuren is a DJ from The Netherlands.  Trevor Guthrie is a singer from British Columbia, who back in the day, gained fame as the lead singer in the band SoulDecision.  His appearance as singer and co-writer of this 2013 song, qualified it for Canadian Content, and it ended up winning Best Dance Recording of the Year at the 2014 Juno Awards (Canada's version of the Grammy)

Armin Van Buuren featuring Trevor Guthrie - This is What it Feels Like
BR_DFMUzX4E

Subject: Re: CANCON - Canadian Music of the 2010s

Written By: warped on 05/09/14 at 8:47 am

I don't believe I did one of these for new music. I may just be talking to myself in this topic, but feel free to contribute :)

If Platinum Blonde released songs in the 2010s, you won't be just talking to yourself.  ;)

Written By: whistledog on 05/09/14 at 4:34 pm

If Platinum Blonde released songs in the 2010s, you won't be just talking to yourself.  ;)

Oh they did, but that one album and all singles from it failed to chart.  I give them kudos for trying.  Their fans are still loyal, but not enough to out perform today's top music stars

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/16/14 at 3:35 pm

Oh they did, but that one album and all singles from it failed to chart.  I give them kudos for trying.  Their fans are still loyal, but not enough to out perform today's top music stars

It doesn't matter if the song charted.  What matters is that they released new music for the first time in 20 years.

2fuJNs-1pNM

They say that time changes everything
but time is just space inside of me
You say that love conquers anything
but this war still burns inside of me

Cause you are so beautiful
so very beautiful
but there is no beautiful in me

In life we walk through an empty maze
of faith or something to believe
Your eyes see what they want to see
in your world what do you see in me?

so very beautiful
But there is no beautiful in me

You are so beautiful
so very beautiful
I wish there was beautiful in me

so very beautiful
But there is no beautiful in me

You are so beautiful
so very beautiful
but there is no beautiful in me
in me
in me
in me

in me.  :)

x5S9Sk-evZQ

Countdown ready for the countdown
all the way to zero starting now
Halo your heaven is a halo
burning in the stratosphere
heading down down down down

You could be my valentine
you could be my valentine
you could be my valentine alone

Psycho graphic way of talking
now you see it walking and
falling down down down down

Social suicide open wide

you could be my.....

I don't think Mark and the boys are too interested in competing with bands that nobody will remember 20 years from now.  I think he's more interested in putting out good music that appeals to a whole new generation of fans.

Written By: whistledog on 05/16/14 at 4:44 pm

It doesn't matter if the song charted.  What matters is that they released new music for the first time in 20 years.

It was nice to see them back, but if the album was not a success, future releases may not be forthcoming  :-\\
Most likely, they will continue with live shows performing the hits they had. 

In the late 00s, Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin and The Payola$ all had comeback albums that didn't do well, but they still continue with live shows that do well

Written By: whistledog on 05/16/14 at 5:05 pm

Here's one by (the very easy on the eyes) Mia Martina featuring American singer Dev.  This is so far my favourite song of 2014 ...

Mia Martina featuring Dev - Danse
TfhH8gxQqow

Here's one that was a club hit back in 2011.  Before American singer Solange Knowles was having an elevator match with her brother-in-law, she teamed up with Canadian music duo Chromeo on a song that I really liked because it reminds me of the 80s ...

Chomeo featuring Solange - When the Night Falls
kkyYxAv6kB4

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/16/14 at 6:54 pm

It was nice to see them back, but if the album was not a success, future releases may not be forthcoming  :-\\
Most likely, they will continue with live shows performing the hits they had. 

In the late 00s, Honeymoon Suite, Harlequin and The Payola$ all had comeback albums that didn't do well, but they still continue with live shows that do well

I'm not sure that I agree with you on this one  wd.  The last few Platinum Blonde shows that happened in Saskatoon, Hamilton, Sarnia, Vancouver, North Battleford, and Halifax were all sold out shows.  I remember Mark saying that he didn't want to be a part of that "scene" where musicians stop writing and cash in on what they had done previously and not write any new music and steal people's money.

Now they may not be the "catch" that they once were but you'd be surprised at how many people who were fans of this band back in the day see teenagers and young kids the 19-25 year old set and even younger at their shows.

Written By: whistledog on 05/16/14 at 9:06 pm

I'm not sure that I agree with you on this one  wd.  The last few Platinum Blonde shows that happened Saskatoon, Hamilton, Sarnia, Vancouver, North Battleford, and Halifax were all sold out shows.  I remember Mark saying that he didn't want to be a part of that "scene" where musicians stop writing and cash in on what they had done previously and not write any new music and steal people's money.

Now they may not be the "catch" that they once were but you'd be surprised at how many people who were fans of this band back in the day see teenagers and young kids the 19-25 year old set and even younger at their shows.

Not disputing the live shows.  Those play to a sell out crowd regardless, but the fans want to hear the old stuff more than the new stuff.  An artist must sell a certain number of copies (not sure of the exact number) of an album for it to make an appearance in the Canadian Top 200 album chart, and 'Now & Never' made an appearance

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 05/20/14 at 1:21 pm

Not disputing the live shows.  Those play to a sell out crowd regardless, but the fans want to hear the old stuff more than the new stuff.  An artist must sell a certain number of copies (not sure of the exact number) of an album for it to make an appearance in the Canadian Top 200 album chart, and 'Now & Never' made an appearance

I think this is a case where we can agree to disagree.

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/16 at 6:58 pm

Don't know if anyone other than me and c_keenan will contribute to this thread, but here goes. 

I haven't enjoyed listening to the radio in a long time, but lately, there are some songs I really dig.  Here are three I hear on the radio all the time ...

Jocelyn Alice - Jackpot
4by2-TKtcZw

Ria Mae - Clothes Off
EAEkxSOkR5s

Shawn Hook - Million Ways
8L1oDSd3Hpk

Written By: whistledog on 04/05/16 at 7:24 pm

Three more ...

Alyssa Reid and The Heist - Dangerous
C2vKsNZqu1w

Couer de Pirate - Carry On
333OLz3NiK8

Carly Rae Jepsen - Curiosity
UpLTr_g_7d4

Written By: 2001 on 04/18/16 at 5:18 pm

I love Tyler Shaw! :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZNdoVmdQBQ4

Peaked at #52.

The new Drake song is one of my favourites from his too!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hKZk7zU0DbU

Currently at #13.

Check for new replies or respond here...