inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Vapor Pens

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/23/14 at 7:41 pm

Personally I don't smoke, but I see an emergence of these devices now among people who do. Alot of people are switching to them as an alternative. They come in flavors of all kinds. Do you think this is just a passing thing, or something here to stay?

Subject: Re: Vapor Pens

Written By: whistledog on 05/23/14 at 10:36 pm

Jenny McCarthy and Stephen Dorff stand by them as seen in ads in print and TV, and most often, there are people who will follow what they see celebrities doing. 

I think smoking is stupid.  Filling your lungs with smoke from a cigarette is no different then standing in a burning building inhaling smoke, but atleast with the e-cigarettes, it won't kill you

Written By: XYkid on 05/23/14 at 11:57 pm

I used to smoke socially but I decided to take up vaping because I actually enjoy having lungs that work properly. Personally, I think vaping is more fun because of all the different flavours you can experiment with and the fact that you can customise your tools to your own pleasure. Still, I do enjoy a good smoke every now and then.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/24/14 at 11:29 pm

I tried this a few months ago. I don't smoke--I have asthma--but my friend had a purple one that tasted like grapes. I took a puff, and still managed to cough!!! But it tasted like Kool-Aid.

Hmmm. Grape Kool-Aid. Damn.  :o

Written By: Howard on 05/25/14 at 3:38 pm

I tried this a few months ago. I don't smoke--I have asthma--but my friend had a purple one that tasted like grapes. I took a puff, and still managed to cough!!! But it tasted like Kool-Aid.

Hmmm. Grape Kool-Aid. Damn.  :o

Did it come in any other flavors?  ???

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/25/14 at 5:31 pm

It would be cool if it came in bacon flavor.  8)

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/26/14 at 4:20 am

Several. The people I know who use them will even mix the fluid. Some of it you can smell, some you can't.

I think smoking is stupid.  Filling your lungs with smoke from a cigarette is no different then standing in a burning building inhaling smoke, but atleast with the e-cigarettes, it won't kill you
Even smokers will tell you not to start the habit. I don't know exactly what's in the gel for the vapors, so I bet it's not totally healthy to inhale anything foreign, but may be a better alternative. It's supposed to have a medication in it that as you go, you step down in dosage. There are also naked flavors without nicotine.

Written By: Howard on 05/26/14 at 7:18 am

It would be cool if it came in bacon flavor.  8)

How about bacon and egg flavored vapor pens?

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/26/14 at 8:06 am

How about bacon and egg flavored vapor pens?

Or bacon, egg, and Spam?  8)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=anwy2MPT5RE

Written By: apollonia1986 on 05/26/14 at 7:44 pm

I actually have asthma because my mother, who began smoking at age 17, was still smoking when she was 35 and pregnant with me. She quit when I was 10 years old--cold turkey too. But...almost 30 years on the tobacco did thier damage and her death was due partly to the adverse affects the smoking had wreaked on her body.

I took a drag on her cigarette when I was 8--it was job to light them as a child--and I thought it was something easy, so I took a full, deep drag like my mother did. I coughed a good 10 minutes and cried.
I like the smokeless ones, or at least the idea of them, but I keep wondering if one day  10 years from now you'll hear that quiet commercial that airs late at night:

"Did you smoke, smokeless cigarette? Do you have--MILE LONG LIST OF AFFLICTIONS--then you may be entitled to a settlement. Please call  Getum, Cheatum and Howe...."

Written By: Katluver on 05/29/14 at 9:14 pm

Do these contain nicotine?

If they're safe, I'd like to try a few.
How about hot fudge sundae
                chocolate milkshake
                  latte
                barbecue hamburger
                pancakes with maple syrup?

Would probably curb away my food addictions...

Written By: Jessica on 05/29/14 at 9:43 pm

Every time I see this topic pop up, I read it as "Vapor Penis".

Written By: warped on 05/29/14 at 9:47 pm

You mean it's not?  ???

;)

Written By: dnt88 on 05/30/14 at 1:05 am

I used to be a smoker and I also used to have one of those electronic things. I liked it at first but after a week the atomizer was so burnt out, it started to give me a horrible taste. People are always saying these things are safe but they are not. Nobody knows what kind of chemicals are produced after the atomizer gets burnt and black. And I also noticed some kind of black fluid leaking from the battery, that's the reason I stopped using those things. Vaping made my lungs hurt so I switched back to real cigarettes (the real thing is so much better IMO), then I decided to quit.

I think a burnt atomizer could be a source of carcinogens and people don't know it yet. But the fad is growing and I think it is here to stay. People should not say that e-cigs don't kill you because it is too early to say that. Even if real cigarettes were new, we would have to wait decades for lung cancers to appear in smokers. Even if the e-cigs are free of carcinogens, vapor is irritative to the airways because it is very hot and physical irritation has been shown to be a source of cancer. Our airways were not designed to inhale vapor or smoke, vaping should not be encouraged, it just creates another addiction which might be harmful on the long run.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 6:41 am

chocolate milkshake
                  latte
                barbecue hamburger

sounds delicious.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 6:42 am

;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 7:38 am

chocolate milkshake
                  latte
                barbecue hamburger

Some do, some don't. Naked flavors don't. I've never tried one either, I'm curious about them, but at the same time I don't want the habit.

Lol, no, but if you want to think of them as phallic shaped....go for it!  ;D

Insert Quote

I actually have asthma because my mother, who began smoking at age 17, was still smoking when she was 35 and pregnant with me. She quit when I was 10 years old--cold turkey too. But...almost 30 years on the tobacco did thier damage and her death was due partly to the adverse affects the smoking had wreaked on her body.

I took a drag on her cigarette when I was 8--it was job to light them as a child--and I thought it was something easy, so I took a full, deep drag like my mother did. I coughed a good 10 minutes and cried.
I like the smokeless ones, or at least the idea of them, but I keep wondering if one day  10 years from now you'll hear that quiet commercial that airs late at night:

"Did you smoke, smokeless cigarette? Do you have--MILE LONG LIST OF AFFLICTIONS--then you may be entitled to a settlement. Please call  Getum, Cheatum and Howe...."

I tried smoking just to see what all the fuss was about from friends who did. I didn't cough, but at the same time, I still didn't see what all the fuss was about. It's just not something for me. Somehow I'm fine if I'm outdoors around it, but indoors I can't be around it long.

Written By: XYkid on 05/31/14 at 3:12 am

Some do, some don't. Naked flavors don't. I've never tried one either, I'm curious about them, but at the same time I don't want the habit.
Lol, no, but if you want to think of them as phallic shaped....go for it!  ;D
I tried smoking just to see what all the fuss was about from friends who did. I didn't cough, but at the same time, I still didn't see what all the fuss was about. It's just not something for me. Somehow I'm fine if I'm outdoors around it, but indoors I can't be around it long.
I seriously don't get how people even notice the smell. I never do, unless I'm in an enclosed space like a car.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/31/14 at 9:13 am

I seriously don't get how people even notice the smell. I never do, unless I'm in an enclosed space like a car.

Of cigarettes? I can smell that across a room!  :o

Written By: loki 13 on 05/31/14 at 10:51 am

I used to be a smoker and I also used to have one of those electronic things. I liked it at first but after a week the atomizer was so burnt out, it started to give me a horrible taste. People are always saying these things are safe but they are not. Nobody knows what kind of chemicals are produced after the atomizer gets burnt and black. And I also noticed some kind of black fluid leaking from the battery, that's the reason I stopped using those things. Vaping made my lungs hurt so I switched back to real cigarettes (the real thing is so much better IMO), then I decided to quit.

I think a burnt atomizer could be a source of carcinogens and people don't know it yet. But the fad is growing and I think it is here to stay. People should not say that e-cigs don't kill you because it is too early to say that. Even if real cigarettes were new, we would have to wait decades for lung cancers to appear in smokers. Even if the e-cigs are free of carcinogens, vapor is irritative to the airways because it is very hot and physical irritation has been shown to be a source of cancer. Our airways were not designed to inhale vapor or smoke, vaping should not be encouraged, it just creates another addiction which might be harmful on the long run.

I often hear people say it is too early to tell if they are safe but that doesn't stop them from spouting off about how harmful
they are even though it is too early too tell that as well.

Here in Philadelphia they are trying to pass laws banning E-Cigarettes in public places because they don't know the
effects of the vapors, it's too early to tell if they are safe or not. That is a ruse, the real reason for the ban is they
have yet to figure out how to sink their greedy little paws into the market. If more people quit smoking and pick up
E-Cigarettes that means the government can no longer suckle the teats of the cash cow that is the tobacco industry.

Written By: warped on 05/31/14 at 11:54 am

I notice the smell from pretty far away. It's probably because I find the smell of cigarette smoke revolting, and I am also allergic to it so I can't stay in a room with smokers without getting a headache. 
But I also know people who don't notice the smell much, like you said.

Written By: Howard on 05/31/14 at 3:38 pm

Of cigarettes? I can smell that across a room!  :o

I smelt a lot of cigarette smoking today. 8-P

Written By: Howard on 05/31/14 at 3:40 pm

I notice the smell from pretty far away. It's probably because I find the smell of cigarette smoke revolting, and I am also allergic to it so I can't stay in a room with smokers without getting a headache. 
But I also know people who don't notice the smell much, like you said.

I smell cigarettes wherever they allow smoking inside places and outside. :P

Written By: XYkid on 06/01/14 at 3:16 am

I was talking about the smell of e-cigarettes, not actual cigarettes. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

Written By: warped on 06/02/14 at 12:31 pm

I was talking about the smell of e-cigarettes, not actual cigarettes. Sorry, I should have made that clear.

OK, gotcha...

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/03/14 at 4:24 pm

The little e-cigarettes? I've never been around anyone with one, so I don't know. Some of the big pens can smell, and others don't unless it's up close.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/22/14 at 8:35 am

Here's a good article on vaping that ran in today's paper.

http://triblive.com/news/allegheny/6313564-74/vaping-cigarettes-cigarette#axzz358LCV0Tu

Check for new replies or respond here...