inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Frozen becomes fifth-biggest film in box office history

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/27/14 at 8:47 am

Disney's animated film Frozen has become the fifth highest-grossing film in box office history.

The Oscar-winning movie, which was released in the US in November, has taken $1.219bn (£723m) worldwide, overtaking Iron Man 3's total haul.

It now stands behind Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, with $1.34bn (£795m) in global ticket sales.

The feat comes two months after it was confirmed Frozen had become the highest-grossing animation in history.

The film's bumper haul has in part been due to its success in Japan, where Frozen has been number one at the box office for 11 consecutive weekends.

Some 15.6m tickets for the film - released as Anna to Yuki no Jou (Anna and the Snow Queen) - have been sold in the country, with many people reportedly watching both the original and Japanese dubbed version.

It is the third most successful Western movie in Japan, behind James Cameron's Titanic and Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone - known in the UK as Harry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone - although it is predicted to overtake the latter film this week.

Frozen won two Oscars in March - best animated feature and best original song for Let It Go, sung by Idina Menzel.

Top five highest-grossing films of all time

Titanic - $2.19bn (£1.3bn)
Marvel's The Avengers - $1.52bn (£900m)
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows - Part 2 - $1.34bn (£795m)
Frozen - $1.219bn (£723m)

Source: Box Office Mojo

Subject: Re: Frozen becomes fifth-biggest film in box office history

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/27/14 at 5:41 pm

And they did not have to rely on fowl language or nudity either. Good wholesome fun.  :) 8)

Written By: Slim95 on 05/27/14 at 11:57 pm

Interesting. I wonder where Lion King stands.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/28/14 at 1:40 am

Interesting. I wonder where Lion King stands.
19th

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 11:34 am

And they did not have to rely on fowl language or nudity either. Good wholesome fun.  :) 8)
With the songs, I wonder how well the soundtrack has done? "Let It Go" did win best song at the Oscars.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/29/14 at 11:35 am

With the songs, I wonder how well the soundtrack has done? "Let It Go" did win best song at the Oscars.
...and Best Animated Feature Film.

Written By: Stompgal on 06/15/14 at 5:45 pm

I saw Frozen for the first time in April this year and I really enjoyed it. Let It Go is a brilliant song but I also like Do You Want To Build a Snowman?, Love Is An Open a Door and For the First Time In Forever. Although the film has a few similarities to Tangled (such as Anna and Elsa being modelled in a similar way to Rapunzel), I like the storyline, the scenery and the funny side characters of Sven and Olaf.

Written By: TheLurkerKing on 07/02/14 at 5:19 pm

The soundtrack album for the film "Frozen" debut at No 18 on The Billboard 200 Chart.

Where it later peaked at No. 1. Only the 4th soundtrack album from an animated film to reach that goal.

As of June 2014 it has sold 2.9 million copies.

And it has been certified as Platinum, which means it has sold at least 1,000,000 units, by the RIAA (Recording Industry Association of America.)

Check for new replies or respond here...