inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Phil Collins Performs At School Concert

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/30/14 at 8:05 am

The singer - who quit music in 2011 - sang two songs at his sons' school music concert, according to the Miami Herald.

He performed 'In the Air Tonight' and 'Land of Confusion' with the school band at Miami Country Day School at the request of his children.

Speaking in 2011 about his retirement, Collins said: "I'm not stopping because of dodgy reviews or bad treatment in the press. I'm not stopping because I don't feel loved, I know I still have a very large fanbase that loves what I do. Thank you.

"I'm not stopping because I don't fit in. I am stopping so I can be a full-time father to my two young sons on a daily basis."

Collins started out in as the drummer of band Genesis, before enjoying a successful solo career, which saw him win seven Grammy awards and an Academy Award.

Subject: Re: Phil Collins Performs At School Concert

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 8:30 am

Land of Confusion was a Genesis song! In The Air Tonight was probably his most famous. I didn't think he could perform anymore because of medical reasons.

I did like Genesis in the progressive days though.

Written By: warped on 05/30/14 at 11:33 am

Land of Confusion was a Genesis song! In The Air Tonight was probably his most famous. I didn't think he could perform anymore because of medical reasons.

When Gabriel & Collins were together in Genesis, they made some wonderful music. Albums such as "The lamb lies down on Broadway" and "Selling England by the pound" were fantastic.  Genesis were at their best during the 1970s. I began to lose some interest in them were they became all pop in the 80s. The music was still alright, but a shadow of what they were.

I have seen him in concert 5 times (twice solo and 3 times with Genesis, all of these between 1980 and 1985)

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 7:26 pm

When Gabriel & Collins were together in Genesis, they made some wonderful music. Albums such as "The lamb lies down on Broadway" and "Selling England by the pound" were fantastic.  Genesis were at their best during the 1970s. I began to lose some interest in them were they became all pop in the 80s. The music was still alright, but a shadow of what they were.

I have seen him in concert 5 times (twice solo and 3 times with Genesis, all of these between 1980 and 1985)

Abacab was early 80's and still good, but very different than the past. I like the song Squonk from the older days.

Written By: warped on 05/30/14 at 7:36 pm

Abacab was early 80's and still good, but very different than the past. I like the song Squonk from the older days.

I love Squonk!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzL-up4ZKgI

I was a DJ in the mid 1980s at College, I think that was the first song I ever played.  Or the 2nd one (Dancing with the moonlit knight may have been first..I forgot) 
70s Genesis is my favorite stuff from prog rock. I even like it more than I like Pink Floyd.

Written By: Howard on 05/30/14 at 7:48 pm

Genesis was a good band, I liked them.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 8:09 pm

I love Squonk!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TzL-up4ZKgI

Was I was a DJ in the mid 1980s at College, I think that was the first song I ever played.  Or the 2nd one (Dancing with the moonlit knight may have been first..I forgot) 
70s Genesis is my favorite stuff from prog rock. I even like it more than I like Pink Floyd.

There are Genesis tribute bands, but I've never seen one and that's the only way I could hear that music live.

Written By: loki 13 on 05/30/14 at 8:41 pm

Sqounk is my favorite Genesis song. For me Genesis was with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, Phil Collins was
just there. After Gabriel left, Genesis was still an excellent band but with the departure of Hackett things started
going downhill. And Then There Were Three was...eh! For me Duke was the last of the good albums. Like many
a great 70's band, the 80's came and wiped their memory of how to produce good music.

Written By: warped on 05/30/14 at 8:49 pm

For me Genesis was with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, Phil Collins was
just there. After Gabriel left, Genesis was still an excellent band but with the departure of Hackett things started
going downhill. And Then There Were Three was...eh! For me Duke was the last of the good albums. Like many
a great 70's band, the 80's came and wiped their memory of how to produce good music.

I could have written this....totally agree.

Written By: KatanaChick on 05/30/14 at 9:07 pm

Sqounk is my favorite Genesis song. For me Genesis was with Peter Gabriel and Steve Hackett, Phil Collins was

It would have been cool to have lived then and seen Genesis live with Gabriel and his outfits for his live performances!

Written By: warped on 05/31/14 at 12:43 pm

It would have been cool to have lived then and seen Genesis live with Gabriel and his outfits for his live performances!

They came to Montreal around Christmas in 1974 or 1975 and I was too young to see them. I did see Peter Gabriel in 1983. He wore a couple of wild outfits there, but nothing like when he was in Genesis.

Written By: whistledog on 05/31/14 at 7:36 pm

I think it is the age that I am because I loved Genesis and Phil Collins and everything they did in the 80s.  The first memory I have of being aware of Genesis was the 1983 single That's All.  I was 8 when the Invisible Touch LP came out, and though we never had the album, my mom had various cassette compilations that had some of the songs and I loved it!  Good memories of my youth

Written By: warped on 05/31/14 at 7:45 pm

I think it is the age that I am because I loved Genesis and Phil Collins and everything they did in the 80s.  The first memory I have of being aware of Genesis was the 1983 single That's All.  I was 8 when the Invisible Touch LP came out, and though we never had the album, my mom had various cassette compilations that had some of the songs and I loved it!  Good memories of my youth

I went to see them in concert right after they released that album.  (the 1983 Genesis album which has "That's all" ) Tickets went on sale at Zounds in Scarborough (it's no longer there...maybe you heard of it. I think it became an A&A's or vice-versa) and I stood outside in the cold weather for like 10 hours. I even skipped school (University)  to stand in line.
"That's all" is a good song.

Check for new replies or respond here...