inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does anyone feel like current music videos have gotten really bad?

Written By: Smiley on 06/04/14 at 11:48 pm

I feel like all the music videos on youtube are so terrible this decade! like they are all just married couples making out (half homosexual?). and then the others are a rip off of other decades. and the most recent ones are just like closeups of the person's face while they try to look cute. idk!

Title changed by Moderator.
~snoz~

Subject: Re: Does anyone feel like music videos have gotten really bad this decade?

Written By: mylilypad on 06/05/14 at 12:01 am

I feel like all the music videos on youtube are so terrible this decade! like they are all just married couples making out (half homosexual?). agenda much? and then the others are a rip off of other decades. and the most recent ones are just like closeups of the person's face while they try to look cute. idk!

honestly, there are bad videos in every decade lol, but today's videos . . . many seem to want to try to push the buttons too much that they come out trying too hard and at times phony. i do like they lyrical videos though. some lyrical videos are better than the actual music video. ^__^

Subject: Re: Does anyone feel like music videos have gotten really bad this decade?

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/05/14 at 6:45 am

Why do you hate the 10's so much?

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 6:54 am

I feel like all the music videos on youtube are so terrible this decade! like they are all just married couples making out (half homosexual?). agenda much? and then the others are a rip off of other decades. and the most recent ones are just like closeups of the person's face while they try to look cute. idk!

music videos now are just awful. Some videos now have sexuality, It's all about women's boobs and butt, Whatever happened to good old friendly music videos that don't talk about the women's anatomy?

Written By: Smiley on 06/05/14 at 2:12 pm

Idk... :-[ But it really seems like everything has gotten worse still. It could be the recession. Howard I totally agree! Like just two days ago rihanna worse a see through dress to this award ceremony naked, exposing her breasts. how much more is there left to show

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/05/14 at 2:54 pm

Idk... :-[ But it really seems like everything has gotten worse still. It could be the recession. Howard I totally agree! Like just two days ago rihanna worse a see through dress to this award ceremony naked, exposing her breasts (with the nipples shown)! seriously how much more is there left to show now :o

Just wait until 2017
It will be a change just like there was a change in 2017 just like there was a change in 2008.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 2:57 pm

Idk... :-[ But it really seems like everything has gotten worse still. It could be the recession. Howard I totally agree! Like just two days ago rihanna worse a see through dress to this award ceremony naked, exposing her breasts (with the nipples shown)! seriously how much more is there left to show now :o

just like The Kardashians, Miley Cyrus and other female actresses or singers today are doing more to get out there or push the envelope.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 2:57 pm

Just wait until 2017
It will be a change just like there was a change in 2017 just like there was a change in 2008.

what change? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/14 at 3:59 pm

what change? ???
The date?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/05/14 at 4:36 pm

I'm seeing it more and more these days.  The younger generation doesn't know what good music is because they've never been exposed to it.  The state of music today is dominated by these kids that are told which way to piss.  It's the same with every generation before it has some kids who start bands and have producers and are told which way to piss.  It's the same for every generation.

Written By: warped on 06/05/14 at 5:04 pm

I'm seeing it more and more these days.  The younger generation doesn't know what good music is because they've never been exposed to it.  The state of music today is dominated by these kids that are told which way to piss.  It's the same with every generation before it has some kids who start bands and have producers and are told which way to piss.  It's the same for every generation.

I was saying the same thing in 1982-1983...when almost everything I was hearing in the top 40 was (to me) crap.  My parents were saying the same thing in the early 1970s, coz whatever I listened to, they called it crap. They called the Beatles "too noisy" and "They don't know how to sing", coz they listened to the crooners (Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Dean Martin etc..)
When I was very young, one of my friends grandfather said that Sinatra, Dean Martin weren't that good, the best music was from Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman, back in the 1930s.
I think every generation says that about music.

When I talk to seniors now, they usually tell me music has been getting progressively worse since Elvis, although they admit there are good songs here and there since then.

Written By: Foo Bar on 06/05/14 at 9:54 pm

I was saying the same thing in 1982-1983...when almost everything I was hearing in the top 40 was (to me) crap.  My parents were saying the same thing in the early 1970s, coz whatever I listened to, they called it crap. They called the Beatles "too noisy" and "They don't know how to sing", coz they listened to the crooners (Bing Crosby, Sinatra, Dean Martin etc..)
When I was very young, one of my friends grandfather said that Sinatra, Dean Martin weren't that good, the best music was from Tommy Dorsey, Duke Ellington and Benny Goodman, back in the 1930s.
I think every generation says that about music.

When I talk to seniors now, they usually tell me music has been getting progressively worse since Elvis, although they admit there are good songs here and there since then.

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110522.gif

And we'll be saying the grunge folks couldn't sing compared to the synthpop duos.  And the dubstep fans will be say something when either acoustic music or when polyrhythms go out of vogue in favor of a single beat.  It's the circle of life...

Subject: Re: Does anyone feel like current music videos have gotten really bad?

Written By: snozberries on 06/06/14 at 10:01 am

Title changed by Moderator.
~snoz~

I have changed the title to remove the word decade from it. All other content exists. I have not read any posts in this thread I don't really want to so if decadeology appears you will have to let me know. In the mean time feel free to discuss how you feel about current music videos rather than music videos of this decade...  (the boards are the 2010s so the fact that the videos you are discussing are from this decade is already implied...)

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/06/14 at 11:43 am

What's there to like, other than Ke$ha ?

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/06/14 at 12:35 pm

I don't like a lot of music these days, period. It's beginning to sound so trite. Whenever I listen to Kiss FM, I mostly hear songs about clubbing, drinking, or general ratchetness; and since "ratchet" is pop culture's mot du jour, I've dubbed this particular period "The Ratchet Era."

Written By: warped on 06/06/14 at 12:50 pm

http://www.smbc-comics.com/comics/20110522.gif

When I was 25, Hair bands (Guns and roses, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison, Scorpions, etc..), were popular. They all sounded the same to me. And I didn't like any of them.

Tiffany, Rick Astley, Debbie Gibson ( 8-P) New Kids on the Block ( 8-P) were just starting out, and I thought they were just horrible. How can anyone listen to that?? I thought (cue some 25 or 30 year-olds who say the same thing about Bieber now)

So yeah, your pic makes a whole lot of sense to me!  ;D ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/06/14 at 4:13 pm

I know Celeste, it's kid's music, it's not the music us old folks grew up listening to.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/14 at 4:15 pm

I don't like a lot of music these days, period. It's beginning to sound so trite. Whenever I listen to Kiss FM, I mostly hear songs about clubbing, drinking, or general ratchetness; and since "ratchet" is pop culture's mot du jour, I've dubbed this particular period "The Ratchet Era."

good music is music from the 70's 80's and 1990. club, disco and funk, soul and classic R & B. That's my time.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/06/14 at 5:14 pm

I know Celeste, it's kid's music, it's not the music us old folks grew up listening to.

I know Howard that's why I find myself gravitating more and more towards the radio stations that cater to older ears.  I know that I have a more mature musical palate than I did before.

Written By: Inertia on 06/06/14 at 6:16 pm

What's there to like, other than Ke$ha ?

::)

Written By: Howard on 06/07/14 at 7:02 am

I know Howard that's why I find myself gravitating more and more towards the radio stations that cater to older ears.  I know that I have a more mature musical palate than I did before.

I listen to internet radio stations, I can play what I want to listen to now.

Written By: warped on 06/07/14 at 1:49 pm

Old folks? You are still very young. You are only 40!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/07/14 at 2:14 pm

;D Who are you calling old? I'm younger than you are. ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/07/14 at 5:51 pm

Old folks? You are still very young. You are only 40!

I was just making a statement, I apologize for calling her "old", I mean the 1980's music.

Written By: warped on 06/07/14 at 5:56 pm

I was just making a statement, I apologize for calling her "old", I mean the 1980's music.

Naw, it's all good. I doubt she was offended...I was just wondering why your called yourself "old folks"
It made me laugh actually, coz I wish I was 40, that's young.  (People born in the late 80s or 90s read that I just called someone who is "40" young. )  It's all relative.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/07/14 at 8:31 pm

When I was 25, Hair bands (Guns and roses, Bon Jovi, Whitesnake, Def Leppard, Motley Crue, Poison, Scorpions, etc..), were popular. They all sounded the same to me. And I didn't like any of them.

Tiffany, Rick Astley, Debbie Gibson ( 8-P) New Kids on the Block ( 8-P) were just starting out, and I thought they were just horrible. How can anyone listen to that?? I thought (cue some 25 or 30 year-olds who say the same thing about Bieber now)

So yeah, your pic makes a whole lot of sense to me!  ;D ;D

Music is genuinely targeted at a much younger age though. People in their 20s are no longer a part of the core audience, let alone people in their late teens. Music seems to be targeted at 12-13 year olds. You might say this was true in the 98-01 era to a certain extent but at least then the music had better melodies and more variety.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/08/14 at 2:22 am

Naw, it's all good. I doubt she was offended...I was just wondering why your called yourself "old folks"
It made me laugh actually, coz I wish I was 40, that's young.  (People born in the late 80s or 90s read that I just called someone who is "40" young. )  It's all relative.

Naw! I was never offended.  The Laughing emoticons should have been a first clue.  ;)

Written By: Howard on 06/08/14 at 3:18 pm

Music is genuinely targeted at a much younger age though. People in their 20s are no longer a part of the core audience, let alone people in their late teens. Music seems to be targeted at 12-13 year olds. You might say this was true in the 98-01 era to a certain extent but at least then the music had better melodies and more variety.

It's just like what folks used to say in the 80's about the music in that era, it was meant for the young folks.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/08/14 at 4:19 pm

It's just like what folks used to say in the 80's about the music in that era, it was meant for the young folks.

Yeah but the 80s had music for adults to listen to.
30 somethings were listening to the music of the 80s and you can't say the same of today.

Written By: warped on 06/08/14 at 4:31 pm

Yeah but the 80s had music for adults to listen to.
30 somethings were listening to the music of the 80s and you can't say the same of today.

That is true.

I was in my 20s for most of the 80s, and there was stuff I liked, and stuff I couldn't stand. I knew people in their 30s (back then) who liked some 80s music, like Phil Collins, the Police, Moody Blues, Alan Parsons, The Stones, Pink Floyd, Joan Jett and a few others.
Other music (Duran Duran, wacko jacko,Madonna, New Kids on the block among others) were meant for a younger audience. I have never met anyone my age or older (In Canada) who liked those acts. Not yet at least.

Check for new replies or respond here...