inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Have people gotten more boring?

Written By: Smiley on 06/04/14 at 11:53 pm

Ok I feel like this is a personal observation I made and no one else does, and I think it's actually true...I'm proud of it :) Like I said before music videos are not so good in 2014. I think this has to do with people becoming more quiet or boring in general? Compared to the 2000s where it was all dancing and busta culture. I think it is technology. Now when you go to malls or schools people will all be on their phones and not really talking, and that also makes the kids more quiet I think. Doesn't anyone else notice this? The personalities of teenagers in the 2000s and teenagers in the 2010s are very diferent?

Title changed by board moderator

~ snoz ~

Subject: Re: Have people gotten more boring this decade?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/14 at 12:13 am

No decade is boring when you have God's Gracious Gift.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/05/14 at 6:45 am

I think it depends who you've been hanging around or what's changed for individuals personally.

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 6:57 am

No decade is boring when you have God's Gracious Gift.

the gift of life.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/14 at 1:41 pm

Can Smiley start a topic that doesn't include the word decade?  :D

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 3:01 pm

Yes I wish he would stop.  ::)

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/05/14 at 3:24 pm

Ok I feel like this is a personal observation I made and no one else does, and I think it's actually true...I'm proud of it :) Like I said before music videos are not so good in 2014. I think this has to do with people becoming more quiet or boring in general? Compared to the 2000s where it was all dancing and busta culture. I think it is technology. Now when you go to malls or schools people will all be on their phones and not really talking, and that also makes the kids more quiet I think. Doesn't anyone else notice this? The personalities of teenagers in the 2000s and teenagers in the 2010s are very diferent?

Yes people have gotten more boring. It's like nobody talks to each other anymore.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/05/14 at 3:26 pm

I thought this forum was about... decades  ???

Written By: Howard on 06/05/14 at 3:38 pm

Yes people have gotten more boring. It's like nobody talks to each other anymore.

remember when it was face to face?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/05/14 at 4:00 pm

It is now being on the phone texting all the time.

Written By: whistledog on 06/05/14 at 4:37 pm

I thought this forum was about... decades  ???

It is, but when a brand new member starts 3 topics back to back that all have the word decade in them, something smells afoot.

Written By: Jessica on 06/05/14 at 4:50 pm

Have people gotten more boring?

Yes, especially when they start three f*cking topics in a row talking about absolutely f*cking decades or whatever BS.

Written By: warped on 06/05/14 at 5:16 pm

Have people gotten more boring?

Yes, especially when they start three f*cking topics in a row talking about absolutely f*cking decades or whatever BS.

C'mon now, don't be shy...Come out of you shell...you can do it!
You need to be able to overcome this shyness thing. Maybe with a little encouragement from all of us, you can

http://cdn.memegenerator.net/instances/500x/45219758.jpg

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/05/14 at 6:59 pm

Decadeology? Do we need some info on Chevy small block engines in here?  ;)

Written By: 80sfan on 06/05/14 at 8:51 pm

I think your question/title for the thread is interesting and relevant for the current times.

I think people think you are trolling (are you?) and gaining up against you. If you are trolling, please stop.

If you're not, then maybe a more appropriate question would be, 'Have people gotten more boring these past few years?' or 'Have people gotten more boring these days?'                     

-Peace!-

Written By: snozberries on 06/06/14 at 9:57 am

People tend to attribute their own flaws and see the amplified in others..... perhaps it is you who are boring.... you sure are boring the hell outta me.

Subject: Re: Have people gotten more boring?

Written By: snozberries on 06/06/14 at 10:05 am

Title changed by board moderator

~ snoz ~

I have edited the title of this topic to remove the word decade from it. It is implied we are talking about the current climate since we are in the 2010s... no other words have been changed. Believe it took a lot to resist to grammatically correct the title and make it read Have people become more boring but... that's my issue not the boards.
  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/14 at 10:07 am

America's Biggest Boring Machine

http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/popularmechanics/images/PR/big-bertha-0214-mdn.jpg

Poor Bertha. North America's largest tunnel-boring machine, measuring 57.5 feet in diameter, hasn't moved more than 4 feet along its 1.7-mile route since Dec. 7. And she isn't going anywhere soon, either: Crews must now replace broken bearing seals inside the 7000-ton machine, which will require them to drill a shaft 120 feet below the surface to open up the area in front of the machine's cutterhead.

Bertha is part of a $3.1 billion plan to replace Seattle's aging Alaskan Way Viaduct with a bored tunnel, and the $80 million machine was going gangbusters at first, churning 30 feet per day beginning in July 2013. But something happened on Dec. 6, 2013, to change all that.

At first the organizations behind Bertha—including the contracting team of Dragados USA and Tutor Perini, known as Seattle Tunnel Partners, and client Washington State Department of Transportation—thought the big machine had hit a giant boulder. But after drilled test shafts and 158 hours of hyperbaric inspections, inspectors found no such obstruction. Apparently only broken cutterhead tools, an 8-inch steel pipe (these machines can chomp dirt and concrete, but can't deal with steel), and dirt had clogged the machine, so officials decided on Jan. 28 to start Bertha spinning again.

Crews replaced the broken tools and cleared the debris, but the restart still didn't go as planned. Internal temperatures in the bearing that drives the cutterhead reached 140 degrees Fahrenheit, more than one-and-a-half times the normal levels. After only 4 feet of digging Bertha was shut down a day later, and there was no boulder or steel pipe to blame this time. Further tests found the bearing seals by Japanese manufacturer Hitachi Zosen had broken, and grease meant to lubricate the many moving parts within the cutterhead was mixing with sand and grit.

It's not uncommon to see damaged seals or bearings on tunnel-boring machines—WSDOT even put in its design-build contract that Seattle Tunnel Partners needed to have a spare $5 million bearing on hand in case of a problem with the original. But fixing them isn't so simple.

Bertha was designed so that crews could partially dismantle the machine and install the 35-foot-diameter seals from behind the 300-foot-long machine. But, according to Chris Dixon, Seattle Tunnel Partners project director, "if going in from the tunnel on the backside of the cutterhead, access is difficult. It is a cramped environment. If you go down from the surface, you have more room to work, less things to remove to get out of your way, and a free-air environment so people can work regular shifts with much more efficiency."

Because Bertha has traveled only about 1000 feet of the planned 9270-foott march from south Seattle to the vicinity of the Space Needle, and sits just shy of 60 feet below the surface, crews will try to create a shaft 120 feet deep and 80 feet wide to send workers to Bertha without the need for hyperbaric divers. This plan wouldn't be possible later on, when Bertha claws its way below Seattle's downtown core.

The fix, which won't be fully planned until the end of February, will take months and put the tunnel timetable in jeopardy. The new tunnel was originally projected to wrap up digging in September 2014 and have vehicles traveling in it by December 2015.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/14 at 4:17 pm

It is now being on the phone texting all the time.

Does anyone remember pen to paper?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/06/14 at 4:18 pm

I can remember pen and paper!

Written By: Howard on 06/06/14 at 4:18 pm

Decadeology? Do we need some info on Chevy small block engines in here?  ;)

That's quite alright.

Written By: Howard on 06/06/14 at 4:19 pm

I can remember pen and paper!

Now it's ok I'll email you or I'll text you OR I'll Facebook you. so on and so forth.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/06/14 at 7:43 pm

Yes, but only if I have to send a card to someone!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/07/14 at 4:37 am

We still send Christmas Cards.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/07/14 at 6:39 am

Now it's ok I'll email you or I'll text you OR I'll Facebook you. so on and so forth.

Email was different though. Back then you didn't have a device you could just check when you felt like it. You had to be at the computer. I also remember forwards. Pointless and dumb, but fun. Facebook posts tend to be random, short, and usually not well thought out or important. Blogging at least made you think and have a topic to talk about, even if it was just complaining.

I like sending those, it's fun. I sometimes send things with them too. I made bead jewelry for someone this past year.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/14 at 6:48 am

Do you like it when someone says "I'll Facebook You"?

Written By: Howard on 06/07/14 at 6:49 am

sometimes I send occasion cards via email.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/07/14 at 7:46 am

Do you like it when someone says "I'll Facebook You"?

I've never even heard that phrase let alone someone saying it!

Written By: Howard on 06/07/14 at 7:50 am

I've never even heard that phrase let alone someone saying it!

sometimes they say "I'll see you on Facebook".

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/07/14 at 1:36 pm

Cards for UK and Facebook cards for those abroad.

Written By: Howard on 06/07/14 at 5:56 pm

or if some people have Skype, they'll say "I'll see you on Skype".

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/08/14 at 1:52 am

There's nothing to listen to either. At least in the 00s I had rock stations to listen to.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/08/14 at 3:12 am

There's nothing to listen to either. At least in the 00s I had rock stations to listen to.
Try film soundtracks, especially Gravity, it is outstanding.

Written By: Howard on 06/08/14 at 3:16 pm

radio stations have gotten boring too as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/14 at 5:57 am

radio stations have gotten boring too as well.
The main broadcaster of radio in the UK is the BBC and the main radio stations aer:

BBC Radio 1 (Contemporary popular music)
        BBC Radio 2 (music for a more mature audience; and comedy)
        BBC Radio 3 (Classical, jazz and non-western music and study in musical topics)
        BBC Radio 4 (Non-musical entertainment such as drama, comedy, news programmes and factual programmes)
        BBC Radio 5 Live (News and sports analysis and commentary)

I tend to listen to Radio 2 more

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/14 at 5:58 am

The main broadcaster of radio in the UK is the BBC and the main radio stations aer:

BBC Radio 4 (Non-musical entertainment such as drama, comedy, news programmes and factual programmes)

And find it easier to listen to on Listen Again, a play back service.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/09/14 at 7:12 am

I was in a restaurant yesterday, and I observed on three women. A pair at one table and a single at another table. While waiting for their food to arrive, the pair were on their respective mobile phones texting and not one word was had in conversation, but did put their phones down to eat. The single woman was playing Candy Crush while waiting and during the eating of her food. The art of conversation is dead!

Written By: warped on 06/09/14 at 8:37 am

I was in a restaurant yesterday, and I observed on three women. A pair at one table and a single at another table. While waiting for their food to arrive, the pair were on their respective mobile phones texting and not one word was had in conversation, but did put their phones down to eat. The single woman was playing Candy Crush while waiting and during the eating of her food. The art of conversation is dead!

I see this all the time and it saddens me. When I have lunch/dinner with people and they keep reaching for their phone, I will tell them to put it away. If they keep taking on the phone with people, I ask them "Did you come to meet with me so that you can talk with someone else on the phone the whole time? Or meet with me?". There have been occasions I have left the restaurant because people can't stop reaching for their phone to talk to people, text people, play games. It is very disrespectful. Too many people are addicted to their phones.

Written By: snozberries on 06/09/14 at 10:13 am

I see this all the time and it saddens me. When I have lunch/dinner with people and they keep reaching for their phone, I will tell them to put it away. If they keep taking on the phone with people, I ask them "Did you come to meet with me so that you can talk with someone else on the phone the whole time? Or meet with me?". There have been occasions I have left the restaurant because people can't stop reaching for their phone to talk to people, text people, play games. It is very disrespectful. Too many people are addicted to their phones.

because of the nature of my job (and my supervisory level) I'm on call pretty much 24/7. I'm required to monitor my phone at all times... the only time I get away from my phone is if I'm in a movie or at a tv show taping because phones aren't allowed in the studios. but the first thing I do when I get out is check to see if I've missed anything...

Written By: warped on 06/09/14 at 11:23 am

because of the nature of my job (and my supervisory level) I'm on call pretty much 24/7. I'm required to monitor my phone at all times... the only time I get away from my phone is if I'm in a movie or at a tv show taping because phones aren't allowed in the studios. but the first thing I do when I get out is check to see if I've missed anything...

I understand.  I was referring to personal calls, not business calls.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/14 at 3:43 pm

I've been listening to internet radio more.

Written By: Howard on 06/09/14 at 3:44 pm

I know, it's the moment where they're so occupied with their gadgets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/05/14 at 5:44 pm

I've been listening to internet radio more.
Having or listening to the radio on the Internet saves switching the radio on, thus saving electricity.

Written By: Howard on 07/06/14 at 2:36 pm

Having or listening to the radio on the Internet saves switching the radio on, thus saving electricity.

and you got more stations of your choice to listen to.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/06/14 at 4:55 pm

I stay on a certain internet station, and when I get bored with it, I've started collecting videos/songs fromthe 80s on Youtube. Debarge, The Whispers, Shannon, Patrice Rushen, Taylor Dane... lots and lots. :)

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/06/14 at 6:35 pm

I stay on a certain internet station, and when I get bored with it, I've started collecting videos/songs fromthe 80s on Youtube. Debarge, The Whispers, Shannon, Patrice Rushen, Taylor Dane... lots and lots. :)

I get in 80's music moods too now and then and go to YouTube for it.  :)

Written By: nally on 07/06/14 at 6:39 pm

Same with me. 8) :)

Written By: KatanaChick on 07/07/14 at 3:20 am

Same with me. 8) :)

There were some fun songs back then.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/07/14 at 3:41 am

Songs before the 1990's had tunes to them, tunes you could even whistle to.

Written By: nally on 07/07/14 at 9:29 am

Very much so. 8) Amazingly enough, I actually did not know the most of them until after then.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 07/07/14 at 1:33 pm

I know I'm boring.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/14 at 2:37 pm

I stay on a certain internet station, and when I get bored with it, I've started collecting videos/songs from the 80s on YouTube. Debarge, The Whispers, Shannon, Patrice Rushen, Taylor Dane... lots and lots. :)

That was when music was good.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/14 at 2:38 pm

same here, I love it.  :)

Written By: Howard on 07/07/14 at 2:38 pm

I definitely agree.

Written By: Howard on 07/07/14 at 2:39 pm

I know I'm boring.

No you're not.  :)

Check for new replies or respond here...