inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Was Electropop better in the 2008-2010 era or today?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/12/14 at 1:18 am

I remember in 08 I was glad the electropop was making pop music better and killing off the over saturation of rap. However, I was hating how after the 00s rock with an edge was harder and harder to come by. Electronic music now and most "EDM" seems horrible now. It's not even catchy and you would have to be on drugs to like it hence the big drug culture with EDM. Anyone feel the same?

Subject: Re: Was Electropop better in the 2008-2010 era or today?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/14 at 1:20 am

I think it was better in the 2008-10 era, but the problem with it was the autotune. It kept ruining songs.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/12/14 at 1:32 am

I think it was better in the 2008-10 era, but the problem with it was the autotune. It kept ruining songs.

I think that era of music would have been better without autotuning the voices. Electronic voices and electronic music just don't mesh. One aspect I miss about older music was that the voices seemed more natural.

What do you think is the biggest problem with todays era of EDM?
Why do you think it's worse than 08-10 in other words.

My gripes with today's music are
there is no variety
genres seem to blend too much - what we have now is this horrible fused blend of autotuned electropop and autotuned late 00s rap
too much autotune
not much rock on the radio
nothing is really catchy

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/12/14 at 2:20 am

I think that era of music would have been better without autotuning the voices. Electronic voices and electronic music just don't mesh. One aspect I miss about older music was that the voices seemed more natural.

What do you think is the biggest problem with todays era of EDM?
Why do you think it's worse than 08-10 in other words.

My gripes with today's music are
there is no variety
genres seem to blend too much - what we have now is this horrible fused blend of autotuned electropop and autotuned late 00s rap
too much autotune
not much rock on the radio
nothing is really catchy
The biggest problem with EDM is the drugs as they are abused at times at EDM festivals and why i think its worser is because I think EDM has been mixed with genres that dont need to be fused together.

Today's music has variety, you just have to look for it which is not on the radio. I thought autotune died off, but i guess not. I think its because rock is not mainstream as it used to be. Some songs are, but not many especially songs that have degrading material in it.

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/12/14 at 10:12 am

I don't know; I hated it back then and now too. Though living in Europe, it was a relatively new sound back then, but now it is almost cliché, listen for example to Demi Lovato's "Neon Lights" which might have got more attention in 2011 than now. I think the electropop sound has overstretched itself now.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/12/14 at 1:28 pm

The biggest problem with EDM is the drugs as they are abused at times at EDM festivals and why i think its worser is because I think EDM has been mixed with genres that dont need to be fused together.

Today's music has variety, you just have to look for it which is not on the radio. I thought autotune died off, but i guess not. I think its because rock is not mainstream as it used to be. Some songs are, but not many especially songs that have degrading material in it.

Instead of music trying to move on they are trying to fuse the late 00s with the early 10s and creating a giant mess. They've basically tried to fuse EDM with everything and it fails because it's blending incompatible genres.

The thing with EDM is that the people who create it now create music you have to be high to in order to enjoy it. Your senses have to be altered in order for someone to like the music. To the average person, it sounds horrible but to someone on Molly at an EDM festival it sounds like something new and exciting. It doesn't sound the same to them because their senses are altered and the music is geared to that. Some random listener on the radio isn't going to get it. People can't enjoy it sober.

Written By: Emman on 06/12/14 at 3:09 pm

Instead of music trying to move on they are trying to fuse the late 00s with the early 10s and creating a giant mess. They've basically tried to fuse EDM with everything and it fails because it's blending incompatible genres.

The thing with EDM is that the people who create it now create music you have to be high to in order to enjoy it. Your senses have to be altered in order for someone to like the music. To the average person, it sounds horrible but to someone on Molly at an EDM festival it sounds like something new and exciting. It doesn't sound the same to them because their senses are altered and the music is geared to that. Some random listener on the radio isn't going to get it. People can't enjoy it sober.

Whoa, EDM is such a broad category, it can include house influences, trance, techno, jungle, dubstep, ect, I think what most people are complaining about is the repetitive beats of pure EDM styles and the abrasiveness of dubstep. But there is plenty of soul/disco/jazz/rock influenced house and melodic trance/pop too, what is called EDM is just a big stadium/mainstreamed/sanitized version of underground '90s rave culture.

Written By: dnt88 on 06/18/14 at 5:24 pm

Whoa, EDM is such a broad category, it can include house influences, trance, techno, jungle, dubstep, ect, I think what most people are complaining about is the repetitive beats of pure EDM styles and the abrasiveness of dubstep. But there is plenty of soul/disco/jazz/rock influenced house and melodic trance/pop too, what is called EDM is just a big stadium/mainstreamed/sanitized version of underground '90s rave culture.

EDM sounded better in 08-10, now it is very repetitive and boring.... but it is dying out. Younger people and teenagers are favoring the poppy rock sound that bands like one direction are producing. Country music is also becoming very popular. EDM will eventually disappear by the mid or late 10's, because generation y is aging and gen z is slowly taking over. People born in the early-mid 90's are still giving it a boost, but when gen z becomes the target audience, EDM will die.  :P

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/18/14 at 7:57 pm

This is so true. EDM is supposed to be a music genre where people dance and have fun, not get high all day.

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/19/14 at 6:10 am

I think we have to watch out using all kind of terms through each other,
like "electropop", "dancepop", "EDM".
I don't know if there exists consensus of these terms, but I always thought of them as follows:

- electropop: in fact pop with electronic influences, also EDM influences. A more harsher, modern form of synthpop. Not primarily
created for the dancefloor.
- dancepop: also pop with mostly electronic influences, and today EDM influences, but clearly to dance. Often lyrics about the dancefloor.
- EDM: electronic dance music. Not to squeeze in a five minute pop song. Broad category, rave, house, many things in it.

What do you think of defining these terms? The borders seem fluid.

Written By: Slim95 on 06/21/14 at 1:24 am

What's the difference though?  ??? Electro pop hasn't changed since then. It's just there's more variety and genres on the radio now. Electropop music sounds identical to me. What am I missing?

Check for new replies or respond here...