inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Donald Trump skyscraper sign 'tasteless'

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:56 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75508000/jpg/_75508970_sign_comp624getty.jpg

Businessman Donald Trump is fighting with Chicago Mayor Rahm Emanuel over a sign affixed to Mr Trump's downtown skyscraper.

The 20ft (6m) tall T-R-U-M-P sign was placed 200ft above the Chicago river and is backlit by bright lights.

Mr Emanuel's office said the mayor believed the "architecturally tasteful building" was "scarred" by the sign.

But Mr Trump has said the sign is "magnificent" and "popular" and argued the city previously signed off on it.

It enhances the building, he told NBC News, and said the building itself was "a great piece of architecture, great for Chicago".

"Cities love the brand and we are getting tweets, letters and phone calls from people who just love it ."

The real estate magnate and prolific tweeter blamed Blair Kamin, Chicago Tribune's architecture critic, for stirring up controversy with his harsh criticism during the sign's recent installation.

"If this sign was in Atlantic City or Las Vegas, nobody would care - but it is in Chicago, and in a part of Chicago full of great buildings from the 1920s to the 1960s and onward," Mr Kamin, a Pulitzer Prize-winner said.

None of the other towers have signs on them, he added, calling the Trump sign an "egotistical overstatement".

Mr Trump built the Trump International Hotel and Tower six years ago to replace an ageing Chicago Sun-Times building with its own sign. It is now the second-tallest building in the city.

The former tenants of the site agree with Mr Kamin.

"It is, rather, an obnoxious New York interloper, not unlike The Donald himself," wrote the Sun Times newspaper, which described the sign on its current building as "sociable but not loud".

Kelly Quinn, Mr Emanuel's spokeswoman, told the New York Times the mayor instructed Mr Trump's office to look into "options available for further changes".

But passers-by who were asked by NBC News on Friday to share their thoughts generally liked the sign.

Subject: Re: Donald Trump skyscraper sign 'tasteless'

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 3:57 am

In my opinion, it is nothing egotistic at all, it his name and he can use it, it is his tower!

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/16/14 at 5:28 am

The Sun-Times building that used to stand in that spot was hideous.  Props to Trump for ridding Chi Town of that mess.  8) 8)

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/14 at 1:02 pm

The Donald built a building and put up a giant stamp with his name on it to match his giant ego..... mmmmmm you don't say!?!?  Shocking!!! NOT

I would like to see it at night... it doesn't seem so bad in the pics above (I mean it's Trump...who wouldn't expect him to put his name on everything for the world to see.... is the mayor new to earth? did he get hit in the head and lose his memory of all things known about trump.  I mean come on! The guy probably had Trump branded in every one of his kids ass just to be sure the world knew where to kiss!

:D

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/16/14 at 1:05 pm

The Donald built a building and put up a giant stamp with his name on it to match his giant ego..... mmmmmm you don't say!?!?  Shocking!!! NOT

I would like to see it at night... it doesn't seem so bad in the pics above (I mean it's Trump...who wouldn't expect him to put his name on everything for the world to see.... is the mayor new to earth? did he get hit in the head and lose his memory of all things known about trump.  I mean come on! The guy probably had Trump branded in every one of his kids ass just to be sure the world knew where to kiss!

It is like calling Macy's something else not after the founder Rowland Hussey Macy!

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 06/16/14 at 1:07 pm

In my opinion, it is nothing egotistic at all, it his name and he can use it, it is his tower!

Agreed.

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/14 at 1:43 pm

It is like calling Macy's something else not after the founder Rowland Hussey Macy!

exactly!

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 3:52 pm

Donald Trump owns everything!

Written By: snozberries on 06/16/14 at 4:19 pm

Donald Trump owns everything!

he doesn't own me..  :P

but he could for the right amount  :D

Written By: Howard on 06/16/14 at 4:57 pm

he doesn't own me..  :P

but he could for the right amount  :D

How much?

Written By: karen on 06/17/14 at 11:12 am

When we went Las Vegas we drove past one o the Trump buildings.  Of course the kids thought it was hilarious.  In the UK (don't know about elsewhere) 'trump' is a euphemism for fart!

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 11:14 am

When we went Las Vegas we drove past one o the Trump buildings.  Of course the kids thought it was hilarious.  In the UK (don't know about elsewhere) 'trump' is a euphemism for fart!
True.

I have been looking in our US photos, and I cannot find so easily the picture I took of Trump Tower in LV.

Written By: snozberries on 06/17/14 at 11:44 am

That is fantastic!!! and so fitting!!!  ;D

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 7:34 pm

;D

Written By: MaxwellSmart on 06/17/14 at 10:55 pm

When I was little I used to make pretend cities with old perfume bottles.  That's what Trump's buildings remind me of.  I just wish there was a giant G.I. Joe to come clobbering though there and knock 'em all down!

Check for new replies or respond here...