inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Sir Cliff Richard to stage free solo show in New York

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 5:34 am

Sir Cliff Richard is to stage a free solo show in New York after his gig supporting Morrissey was cancelled.

Sir Cliff's show will take place on 21 June, the same date the original Morrissey gig was due to take place.

The veteran star said he wanted to thank his "loyal fans". The show will take place at the Gramercy theatre.

Fans who had tickets to Morrissey's Barclay Center show will get priority on a first come, first served basis if they bring proof of purchase.

Sir Cliff added that the performance would include a question and answer session.

He said: "I know that many fans were disappointed about the Morrissey concert being cancelled and I was disappointed as well.

"I've decided I'm going to go anyway to New York and I'm going to put on an evening.

"While it won't be the show I had planned to do with Morrissey, it will be a really nice, intimate evening with my fans and I'm looking forward to seeing everyone there."

The remainder of Morrissey's US tour was called off last week when the former Smiths frontman collapsed following a show in Boston.

Morrissey was taken to hospital after the incident, where he was treated for a respiratory infection.

The medical attention "was not enough to shake off the virus, the recovery time for which is too lengthy to meet the final nine shows of the tour".

Morrissey, who had been in the middle of a 30-day tour, also cancelled 22 US concerts last year due to ill health.

Subject: Re: Sir Cliff Richard to stage free solo show in New York

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/14 at 1:11 pm

Cliff hasn't had a hit single in the US since 1983.  New Yorkers are gonna be like "Who's this guy?" lol

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 1:14 pm

Cliff hasn't had a hit single in the US since 1983.  New Yorkers are gonna be like "Who's this guy?" lol
That is what I was thinking. When I was in the US last year, one of our topics of conversation when driving around was Cliff Richard, and I had to almost sing his songs to inform my fellow passengers who he is. BTW, he his big in The Philippines.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/17/14 at 1:15 pm

The reason why the show is free, is that people cannot ask for their money back if disappointed with the show.

Written By: whistledog on 06/17/14 at 5:07 pm

Some people may remember him.  For the brief run of US Top 40s he had (1976; 1979-1982), they were quite memorable. 

Who could be disappointed with Cliff Richard though.  He's got so many hits to his credit, it would be fun trying to figure out which songs he would sing

Written By: Howard on 06/17/14 at 7:32 pm

Some people may remember him.  For the brief run of US Top 40s he had (1976; 1979-1982), they were quite memorable. 

Who could be disappointed with Cliff Richard though.  He's got so many hits to his credit, it would be fun trying to figure out which songs he would sing

wasn't one of his songs "We Don't Talk Anymore"?

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 5:16 am

That is him!

Written By: whistledog on 06/19/14 at 11:39 am

Yes.  That was one of over 100+ hits he's had since 1958

Written By: Howard on 06/19/14 at 4:37 pm

http://www.theguardian.com/music/2014/jun/17/cliff-richard-free-new-york-gig-disappointed-morrissey-fans

Check for new replies or respond here...