inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Colin Firth leaves Paddington Bear film

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/19/14 at 6:17 am

http://news.bbcimg.co.uk/media/images/75606000/jpg/_75606794_75606769.jpg

Oscar-winning actor Colin Firth has pulled out of voicing the upcoming Paddington film.

The King's Speech star said he had been unable to find the right voice for the Peruvian bear.

"After a period of denial, we've chosen 'conscious uncoupling'," Firth said in a statement, referencing the term Gwyneth Paltrow and Chris Martin made famous when they separated in March.

Based on the books by Michael Bond, the film is due to be released in November.

"It's been bittersweet to see this delightful creature take shape and come to the sad realisation that he simply doesn't have my voice," Firth told Entertainment Weekly.

"I've had the joy of seeing most of the film and it's going to be quite wonderful. I still feel rather protective of this bear and I'm pestering them all with suggestions for finding a voice worthy of him."

Paul King, the film's director, said the star's exit had been amicable.

"I cannot thank enough for his contribution to Paddington," he said.

"We love the voice and we love the bear, but as our young bear came into being, we agreed that the two didn't seem to fit. So, with somewhat heavy hearts we decided to part ways."

King said a replacement would be announced in the coming weeks, promising the new actor would ensure Paddington's "big screen debut is magnificent".

The first trailer for the film was released in March, with a second released last week, however neither feature Firth's voice.

The movie also stars Nicole Kidman as an evil museum taxidermist who has Paddington in her sights, and Julie Walters and Hugh Bonneville as Mr and Mrs Brown - the marmalade-loving bear's adopted parents.

Subject: Re: Colin Firth leaves Paddington Bear film

Written By: Paul on 06/19/14 at 10:06 am

Paddington - the movie? Sounds like a barrel being scraped...

Written By: mylilypad on 06/22/14 at 2:12 am

what a shame. oh well.

i had heard about the movie coming into fruition awhile ago, but i did not know colin firth was cast as the voice. he does have a distinct voice and if it is not coming together, then it would be best to find another voice. i am curious to hear what voice colin made for the bear.

i wonder who they have their sights on now to voice him.

Written By: Howard on 06/22/14 at 3:31 pm

what a shame. oh well.

i had heard about the movie coming into fruition awhile ago, but i did not know colin firth was cast as the voice. he does have a distinct voice and if it is not coming together, then it would be best to find another voice. i am curious to hear what voice colin made for the bear.

i wonder who they have their sights on now to voice him.

But Paddington Bear had no voice. ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 1:57 am

But Paddington Bear had no voice. ???
He must growl a little, he is a bear?

Written By: Howard on 06/23/14 at 3:36 pm

He must growl a little, he is a bear?

Yes he is a bear.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 3:39 pm

Yes he is a bear.
From Peru

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/19/14 at 3:45 am

James Bond star Ben Whishaw is cast as the voice of Paddington in the upcoming film about the Peruvian bear.

Check for new replies or respond here...