inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 90s Kids: Are you more familiar with the 1994 billboard charts or the 2014?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/22/14 at 8:08 am

I was just wondering if it was unusual for someone in their late 20s to be more familiar with 1994 in remembering the songs than 2014?

Subject: Re: 90s Kids: Are you more familiar with the 1994 billboard charts or the 2014?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/23/14 at 12:31 am

2014 of course, because that's the music you can't avoid when you leave your house. I could vaguely say what have been on the billboard charts in 1994, but I tend to mix up 1993-95.

Subject: Re: 90s Kids: Are you more familiar with the 1994 billboard charts or the 2014?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/23/14 at 1:31 am

Yes, I'm familiar with some 1994 billboard songs and mostly 2014, but it depends on what genre you are talking about.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 1:56 am

Yes, I'm familiar with some 1994 billboard songs and mostly 2014, but it depends on what genre you are talking about.
I am familiar with some songs from the USA, but not how the songs have fared in the Billboard Charts, there again I am losing familiarity with the modern day UK Charts.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/23/14 at 3:01 am

I am familiar with some songs from the USA, but not how the songs have fared in the Billboard Charts, there again I am losing familiarity with the modern day UK Charts.
I think that the UK music today is not is in your personal taste anymore.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 3:30 am

I think that the UK music today is not is in your personal taste anymore.
You are correct there.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/23/14 at 4:24 am

I was just wondering if it was unusual for someone in their late 20s to be more familiar with 1994 in remembering the songs than 2014?
When I was in my late 20s 1994 had not arrived yet.

Written By: Howard on 06/23/14 at 3:32 pm

Since I am 40, I am more familiar with the 1994 Billboard Charts.

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/23/14 at 7:22 pm

Well it ain't no small block Chevy but...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g58CsXFXyA

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/23/14 at 11:15 pm

2014 of course, because that's the music you can't avoid when you leave your house. I could vaguely say what have been on the billboard charts in 1994, but I tend to mix up 1993-95.

It's easier to avoid the Music with Satellite radio now. Any time I turn on mainstream radio I hate it so much I have to turn it off.
This is probably why I'm not so familiar with 2014 as much.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/14 at 5:35 am

Maybe it might sound odd, since I was only just 7 years old back then, but I would actually lean towards being more familiar with '94 over '14 myself, at least so far this year. I suppose it might depend on how we're defining "familiar": just remembering a song in general, or specifically remembering hearing it back then.

At any rate, after a quick peek at the Billboard Hot 100 for 1994, here are the songs from that list I can clearly remember hearing on the radio back then:

"The Sign" - Ace of Base
"I Swear - All 4 One
"I'll Make Love To You" - Boyz II Men
"Can You Feel The Love Tonight" - Elton John
"Baby I Love Your Way" - Big Mountain
"Shine" - Collective Soul
"All I Wanna Do" - Sheryl Crow
"Whoomp! (There It Is) - Tag Team
"Tootsie Roll" - 69 Boyz
"I Can See Clearly Now" - Jimmy Cliff
"Don't Take The Girl" - Tim McGraw
"Always" - Bon Jovi
"What Is Love" - Haddaway
"Always In My Heart" - Tevin Campbell

At fourteen songs, that's actually alot more than I thought I would recall given my young age at the time, and it's probably about double as many songs as I could recognize from this year so far. Of course, part of that stems from the fact that I don't follow mainstream music nearly as much today as I did in high school. If you were to ask me about 2004 instead of 2014, I could recall probably twice as many songs from that year than from '94.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 5:45 am

Maybe it might sound odd, since I was only just 7 years old back then, but I would actually lean towards being more familiar with '94 over '14 myself, at least so far this year. I suppose it might depend on how we're defining "familiar": just remembering a song in general, or specifically remembering hearing it back then.

At any rate, after a quick peek at the Billboard Hot 100 for 1994, here are the songs from that list I can clearly remember hearing on the radio back then:

"The Sign" - Ace of Base
"I Swear - All 4 One
"Tootsie Roll" - 69 Boyz
"Always" - Bon Jovi

At fourteen songs, that's actually alot more than I thought I would recall given my young age at the time, and it's probably about double as many songs as I could recognize from this year so far. Of course, part of that stems from the fact that I don't follow mainstream music nearly as much today as I did in high school. If you were to ask me about 2004 instead of 2014, I could recall probably twice as many songs from that year than from '94.
There again, "I Can See Clearly Now" by Jimmy Cliff was first released in 1972.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/24/14 at 9:56 am

It's easier to avoid the Music with Satellite radio now. Any time I turn on mainstream radio I hate it so much I have to turn it off.

We don't have Satellite radio in Europe. I have first tested it in a rental car here in Canada, roughly a month ago. It was definitely great!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/24/14 at 9:58 am

Maybe it might sound odd, since I was only just 7 years old back then, but I would actually lean towards being more familiar with '94 over '14 myself, at least so far this year.

That's natural, because songs from 1994 are 20 years old and have been played more often than 2014 songs. It's just that I can't always clearly say if a song comes from 1993, 1994 or 1995.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 2:16 pm

That's right, I had forgotten that it was released in the early 70's. I wonder why it re-charted in 1994?
Used in the movie "Cool Runnings".

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/24/14 at 2:22 pm

Used in the movie "Cool Runnings".

Yes, I just looked it up. Per Wikipedia the original version by Johnny Nash was a #1 hit in 1972, and Jimmy Cliff covered the song in 1993 for the "Cool Runnings" soundtrack.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/24/14 at 2:24 pm

Yes, I just looked it up. Per Wikipedia the original version by Johnny Nash was a #1 hit in 1972, and Jimmy Cliff covered the song in 1993 for the "Cool Runnings" soundtrack.
Admittedly I was getting my Johnny's and Jimmy's mixed up.

Written By: Howard on 06/24/14 at 3:34 pm

I enjoy Satellite radio.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/24/14 at 7:45 pm

I think I am more familiar with the 1972 one.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/24/14 at 7:47 pm

This is a song I found great and had a copy on tape in 1994:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mOYZaiDZ7BM

I will never forget  ;D That's what I assiciate with the 90s!!!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/25/14 at 2:04 am

"The Sign" - Ace of Base
"I Swear - All 4 One
"Tootsie Roll" - 69 Boyz
"Always" - Bon Jovi

I think the reason we don't recall so much from this year is because the music is geared to 12 year olds and doesn't have a mature sound. I recall about 59 of the songs on the 1994 list.
Probably because I had my own radio and my parents also played current radio stations in the car.

In my opinion, a lot of people who had no exposure to current things as children or people who weren't that precocious sit and judge people telling them what they can and can't remember. If someone is precocious, has a good memory, and had a lot of exposure to the current pop culture, they will remember and understand more.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/25/14 at 2:11 am

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bNU4d5tjqdA
I heard songs like this as a kid in the 90s.
Music was a lot more mature back then and had a better sound.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 06/25/14 at 3:07 am

I recall about 59 of the songs on the 1994 list.

Don't you think, it's also because those songs are older and have been played more often?

Written By: Howard on 06/25/14 at 3:35 pm

I think I am more familiar with the 1972 one.

same here.

Written By: Howard on 06/25/14 at 3:36 pm

The Sign" - Ace of Base
"I Swear - All 4 One
"Tootsie Roll" - 69 Boyz
"Always" - Bon Jovi

I can recall a lot of them that were played on the radio back then.

Written By: dnt88 on 06/25/14 at 6:22 pm

Neither, I am more familiar with the 2004 billboard charts to be honest. I was 6 years old in 1994, so I vaguely remember the songs of 1994 (I don't like the music of that year honestly, only a few songs like "what is love" and "the sign"). And most 2014's songs are trash IMO, so I don't care much about 2014's billboard charts.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/26/14 at 5:17 am

"The Sign" - Ace of Base
"I Swear - All 4 One
"Tootsie Roll" - 69 Boyz
"Always" - Bon Jovi

I know all those songs!

I think the reason we don't recall so much from this year is because the music is geared to 12 year olds and doesn't have a mature sound. I recall about 59 of the songs on the 1994 list.
Probably because I had my own radio and my parents also played current radio stations in the car.

In my opinion, a lot of people who had no exposure to current things as children or people who weren't that precocious sit and judge people telling them what they can and can't remember. If someone is precocious, has a good memory, and had a lot of exposure to the current pop culture, they will remember and understand more.

It's absolutely true what you say music had a more mature sound then, and a wider variety of people could like it. That's what I miss. Plus most of those artists could be heard on the same station and there were clear differences in their sound. Some songs were more "fun" some more serious, and it was nice to hear that. Now everything on hit music stations sounds the same to me. I would listen to the radio in the car and at home and hear music from the 80's quite a bit thrown in, because it wasn't too old to not be played on those stations yet. What really irks me is being told I wouldn't know who so and so was or heard such and such because I wasn't born yet or was too young for it. That's a stupid assumption to make. Just because you weren't born yet or couldn't experience something when it was currently happening doesn't mean you're not aware of it.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/26/14 at 11:13 am

I know all those songs!
It's absolutely true what you say music had a more mature sound then, and a wider variety of people could like it. That's what I miss. Plus most of those artists could be heard on the same station and there were clear differences in their sound. Some songs were more "fun" some more serious, and it was nice to hear that. Now everything on hit music stations sounds the same to me. I would listen to the radio in the car and at home and hear music from the 80's quite a bit thrown in, because it wasn't too old to not be played on those stations yet. What really irks me is being told I wouldn't know who so and so was or heard such and such because I wasn't born yet or was too young for it. That's a stupid assumption to make. Just because you weren't born yet or couldn't experience something when it was currently happening doesn't mean you're not aware of it.

I think it's a very stupid assumption. Children aren't rocks. They absorb things and get things around them. Kids remember fads even if they aren't participating in them as teens. You get it by looking at the people around you, listening to the radio, and seeing TV.

I think it's the same for TV as you said for music. I watched a lot of the late 80s cartoons like Ducktales and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers back in the 90s and they were a part of my childhood.

Written By: nally on 06/26/14 at 11:47 am

I think it's the same for TV as you said for music. I watched a lot of the late 80s cartoons like Ducktales and Chip 'n Dale Rescue Rangers back in the 90s and they were a part of my childhood.

Same with me. I watched 'em around that time too; they were a part of the "Disney Afternoon" block in the early 90s. I was like, 10 or 11 then, but most of the episodes had interesting storylines, so I didn't mind watching said programs.

Written By: Jquar on 06/27/14 at 3:56 am

I was born in '92 and I'd definitely say I'm more familiar with the music of 1994, but the Hot 100 charts were really geared toward R&B in the mid 90s so a lot of the popular rock that was played at the time gets left off of this list.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cP9kU3JE6s4

Still, plenty of those songs have been played on the radio rather consistently for 20 years, so there's been plenty of room for familiarity.

I actually distinctly remember hearing "Shoop" by Salt-n-Pepa a lot in what must have been like 1997, so a lot of this stuff remained trendy for a few years unlike the stuff from 1990 which mostly was totally obsolete in the latter part of the decade.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/27/14 at 2:30 pm

I actually distinctly remember hearing "Shoop" by Salt-n-Pepa a lot in what must have been like 1997, so a lot of this stuff remained trendy for a few years unlike the stuff from 1990 which mostly was totally obsolete in the latter part of the decade.

Let's not forget about "All That" and it's weekly musical guest, which tended to be a pop or R&B artist, but could also occasionally be a rapper or rock band. That's one place where alot of younger 90's kids got some of their earliest exposure to popular music.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/14 at 3:41 pm

'Shoop" was actually 1995.

Written By: Jquar on 06/27/14 at 8:04 pm

Let's not forget about "All That" and it's weekly musical guest, which tended to be a pop or R&B artist, but could also occasionally be a rapper or rock band. That's one place where alot of younger 90's kids got some of their earliest exposure to popular music.

Yeah, I learned about Coolio from Keenan & Kel.

Written By: Jquar on 06/27/14 at 8:06 pm

'Shoop" was actually 1995.

Actually it was released and was a hit in the late part of 1993. I was only about 2 then so I was too young to actually remember it when it first came out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shoop_%28song%29

Check for new replies or respond here...