inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Poll: People really hate the music kids are listening to these days

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/25/14 at 8:28 pm

If you asked a thousand people how they feel about music these days, guess how many people hate it? Answer: A lot of them.

Even though we’re only about three years into the 2010s, 42 percent of Americans surveyed think it’s already the worst decade for music since the Woodstock era. Ouch! According to a “60 Minutes”/Vanity Fair poll conducted on behalf of CBS News — which asked 1,017 adults ages 18 and older around the country for their thoughts — people are already tired of the age of Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc.

“The ’70s had classic rock and disco, the ’80s had pop and new wave, the ’90s had hip hop, alternative rock and grunge but starting around the turn of the century, Americans seem to feel music has hit a rough patch,” the poll noted.

Is anyone surprised? Everyone always thinks the music back in the day was better, right? Not so fast: “Many people are predisposed to feel nostalgia for the music and songs of their youth,” the survey acknowledged. “But by a wide margin, even today’s younger set feels that this decade’s music is the worst.”

Uh-oh: If younger people don’t even like current music the kids are listening to these days, what chance do we have? The other decades all  have similar percentage of haters: 15 percent think the 2000s were the worst, followed by 13 percent for the ’90s, 14 percent for the ’80s and 12 percent for the ’70s.

Among other findings in the poll: If forced to take their daughter to one of those “modern day” concerts, 39 percent of people asked would choose a Taylor Swift show over Katy Perry (26 percent); One Direction (11 percent); Miley (5 percent) or the Biebs (3 percent).

And as for where listeners even hear music these days, 49 percent of Americans polled say they listen to the radio the most. About 17 percent choose streaming options (Spotify, Pandora, the dying Last.fm),which is the favored method among people ages 18 to 34.

Also, 26 percent of people think guitar is the sexiest instrument; sorry, fans of the woodwind family, flutes only clocked in at 5 percent sexy.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/04/08/poll-people-really-hate-the-music-kids-are-listening-to-these-days

Subject: Re: Poll: People really hate the music kids are listening to these days

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/26/14 at 5:07 am

Wow, if even kids don't like the music made for them, that says something! I don't blame them. Today it's like less talent is required to be a popular entertainer. The pop and hip hop I miss is from last decade and the late 90's. I grew up then, so it's what I was most familiar with, but if you compare that with what you hear now, it was better. Every decade had it's cheesy songs, but for some artists they don't know any other way. To discover anything new I go on YouTube. I did have an account with LastFM, but never made a habit of going there, and I don't want to pay for internet radio.

Subject: Re: Poll: People really hate the music kids are listening to these days

Written By: Howard on 06/26/14 at 7:19 am

Wow, if even kids don't like the music made for them, that says something! I don't blame them. Today it's like less talent is required to be a popular entertainer. The pop and hip hop I miss is from last decade and the late 90's. I grew up then, so it's what I was most familiar with, but if you compare that with what you hear now, it was better. Every decade had it's cheesy songs, but for some artists they don't know any other way. To discover anything new I go on YouTube. I did have an account with LastFM, but never made a habit of going there, and I don't want to pay for internet radio.

Back then during the 80's, people had soul, they had REAL instruments and they sang from the hearts. You don't see many singers and artists have that passion these days.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 06/26/14 at 7:48 am

I still think 2004-2007 was the worst time for mainstream music. Post-millennium and pre-Katy Perry/EDM era.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/26/14 at 8:08 am

Back then during the 80's, people had soul, they had REAL instruments and they sang from the hearts. You don't see many singers and artists have that passion these days.

Exactly.  :)

Written By: Mat1991 on 06/26/14 at 9:50 am

Okay, now I'm confused.

I thought the noughties were considered the worst decade for music, and that this decade's music (so far) has made an improvement.  :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/26/14 at 11:05 am

Okay, now I'm confused.

I thought the noughties were considered the worst decade for music, and that this decade's music (so far) has made an improvement.  :P

Not if you were listening to the alternative charts in the noughties  ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 06/26/14 at 12:00 pm

Okay, now I'm confused.

the 00s can't be the worst for music if it has some classics and the 2010s music has made improvements especially how some of the artists have their own sound and are staying out of the mainstream.

Written By: Howard on 06/26/14 at 1:31 pm

Exactly.  :)

even my friend said that today's music is just crap, pure noise. :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 1:50 pm

even my friend said that today's music is just crap, pure noise. :P
...except Adele

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/26/14 at 3:20 pm

Plenty of good stuff; alas, it's all underground. People are lazy. They'll just take what they see.
I want to see either people playing their own instruments, performing their song, or people
performing what others wrote in a good way.

I miss the '00s, where there were more guitars. It's just lost it's edge now. It's plastic.

Written By: karen on 06/26/14 at 3:48 pm

If you asked a thousand people how they feel about music these days, guess how many people hate it? Answer: A lot of them.

Even though we’re only about three years into the 2010s, 42 percent of Americans surveyed think it’s already the worst decade for music since the Woodstock era. Ouch! According to a “60 Minutes”/Vanity Fair poll conducted on behalf of CBS News — which asked 1,017 adults ages 18 and older around the country for their thoughts — people are already tired of the age of Miley Cyrus, Justin Bieber, Lady Gaga, etc.

So a greater percentage think it's not the worst decade for music.

Plus asking 1,017 people is a really small sample size in a country the size of the US

Written By: Arrowstone on 06/26/14 at 4:03 pm

Though I should not complain, since I did buy some new cds this year  :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/26/14 at 4:11 pm

Enya's 2000 album A Day Without Rain sold 15 million copies, and became the top selling new age album of the 2000s in the US, according to Nielsen SoundScan. Her record sales stand at more than 75 million worldwide, including over 26.5 million in album sales in the US, making her one of the world's best-selling artists of all time. Her work has earned her four Grammy Awards and an Academy Award nomination. She is doing very well, so who is listening to her?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 06/26/14 at 4:13 pm

I can't listen to today's music.  I listen to music that has a lot of swagger and is fun to listen to.  Music these days is kind of boring and not really that much "fun" to listen to.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/26/14 at 6:23 pm

Plenty of good stuff; alas, it's all underground. People are lazy. They'll just take what they see.
I want to see either people playing their own instruments, performing their song, or people

I miss the '00s, where there were more guitars. It's just lost it's edge now. It's plastic.

That's what half the people at my school did, take what they heard like it was the best music ever made. They didn't check out anything different.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/26/14 at 11:59 pm

People tell me to search but ironically this is what I used to tell people. I've been searching and discovering music since the 00s but got tired of looking as things got even further out of reach.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 06/27/14 at 2:10 pm

I haven't been listning to a lot of new music as of late, but there's no way that even this decade's music can be worse than some of the dreck that the mainstream produced during the 70's. I know that might be a controversial thing to say these days, now that the 70's have reached classic status, but the image that we seem to have now of the whole decade being defined by Led Zeppelin and The Sex Pistols is nothing more than revisionist history. Case in point, take a look at this:

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SHOWBIZ/Music/04/25/worst.songs/index.html

That's a CNN "worst song of all time" poll from back in 2006 that has four songs from the 70's in the top five, including two songs from 1974 alone ("Seasons in the Sun" by Terry Jacks and "(You're) Having My Baby" by Paul Anka). This, of course, isn't to say that the music of Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber doesn't suck. I only say this to point out that, as a decade fades further and further into the past, we seem to forget the bad, and remember only the good.

Funnily enough, this same thing is now happening with the 90's as it reaches the twenty year mark. In retrospectives, the talk is always about Nirvana and Soundgarden, but, strangely, this "gem" of a song never seems to come up:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=39YUXIKrOFk

Written By: Howard on 06/27/14 at 3:42 pm

...except Adele

My Father used to listen to Adele.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/14 at 3:43 pm

music now has lost it's edge.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/14 at 3:44 pm

I can't listen to today's music.  I listen to music that has a lot of swagger and is fun to listen to.  Music these days is kind of boring and not really that much "fun" to listen to.

that's why I prefer listening to 80's internet radio.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/14 at 3:46 pm

that's why I prefer listening to 80's internet radio.
It is 50s to 80s for me, along with classical music which I find relaxing.

Written By: Philip Eno on 06/27/14 at 3:48 pm

I still like to hear her, she is refreshing to listen to.

Written By: Howard on 06/27/14 at 4:28 pm

It is 50s to 80s for me, along with classical music which I find relaxing.

same here, I come home and listen to what I want.

Written By: KatanaChick on 06/27/14 at 7:29 pm

The only song I know by her is Rumor Has It.

Written By: Jquar on 06/27/14 at 7:59 pm

I do believe that since the early 2000s, top 40 has devolved into being crappier than it was at any point from 1955 to 1999.

It's just much rarer nowadays to find an appealing or mature song/band cross over into the top 40 realm. Look at the top 40 right now and it's largely either highly manufactured dance-pop fluff or generic country. Contrary to what some people say, decent stuff does still get popular (for example "Latch" by Disclosure is at #12 right now) but it's just much less common than it used to be.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 06/27/14 at 8:22 pm

I do believe that since the early 2000s, top 40 has devolved into being crappier than it was at any point from 1955 to 1999.

It's just much rarer nowadays to find an appealing or mature song/band cross over into the top 40 realm. Look at the top 40 right now and it's largely either highly manufactured dance-pop fluff or generic country. Contrary to what some people say, decent stuff does still get popular (for example "Latch" by Disclosure is at #12 right now) but it's just much less common than it used to be.

And it's not just top 40 but other stations. I remember when I could escape the worst of top 40 by going to another radio station that played better current music. I don't even have this now.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 7:08 am

The only song I know by her is Rumor Has It.

I like that song.

Written By: Howard on 06/28/14 at 7:09 am

Look at the top 40 right now and it's largely either highly manufactured dance-pop fluff or generic country.

Kids these days listen to this stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...