inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Beginning of a new Disney renaissance?

Written By: 80sfan on 06/30/14 at 6:29 pm

With Frozen being a blockbuster hit and I think there were other hits years before, are we at the threshold of a new Disney renaissance?

I think Disney made a comeback in the 50s, then of course the most famous comeback was the late 80s/90s renaissance. What about now? Too soon? More hits? Did the comeback start years ago, or do you think there is no comeback?

Subject: Re: Beginning of a new Disney renaissance?

Written By: LyricBoy on 06/30/14 at 6:30 pm

The comeback started with Hanna Montanah.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 06/30/14 at 7:26 pm

I think you could say The Princess and the Frog kind of sparked a new renaissance for Disney, mainly because it seems like they went back to the formula that made the films of the '89-'99 renaissance so successful. It's a formula that works and Disney should stick too it.

The 2000s were a pretty bad decade for Disney. Lilo & Stitch gets a lot of love, but I've never heard much hoopla about Atlantis: The Lost Empire, Treasure Planet, Brother Bear, Home on the Range, etc. In fact I'm looking at a list of Disney animated features and I don't even think I've heard of Meet the Robinsons.

Written By: Philip Eno on 07/03/14 at 7:40 am

It looks like the renaissance has failed with the release of Maleficent, takings have been good, but the film was not well received in the press.

Check for new replies or respond here...