inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Wasn't Katy Perry SO MUCH better in the beginning?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/27/14 at 11:34 pm

I was a big fan when she first hit the scene in the second half of 2008 and early 2009 with that One of The Boys CD. Her music had something it totally lacks now...the pop rock edge and a sense of fun energy. Even the 2010-11 singles from her Teenage Dream followup CD, although getting poppier, still were catchy and fun to listen to.

I'm not saying it was the best music ever made or anything, but songs like Hot N Cold, Waking Up in Vegas, and TGIF seem much happier and a world away from the annoying repetitive drone of "Roar" or the club hip hop of "Dark Horse". She's just like any average 2010s bad pop singer now, lol.

Subject: Re: Wasn't Katy Perry SO MUCH better in the beginning?

Written By: Visor765 on 07/28/14 at 12:12 am

I do think her music was better in the beginning. Her vocals have improved though, but the songs were more aggressive. I also liked her "I don't care about anything" kind of attitude that she had before which really showed in songs like "I Kissed a Girl" and "Waking Up in Vegas".

I think it's just that she's older now and her attitude and sense of humor has changed as she was still a very young woman when she debuted. She was 23 years old. Now she's gonna be 30 in three months, so she's really mellowed out. As a result it shows in her music.

Written By: sonikuu on 07/28/14 at 12:51 am

Teenage Dream was her best album, by far.  Lots of fun memories were had to that album.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 07/28/14 at 3:02 am

I do think her music was better in the beginning. Her vocals have improved though, but the songs were more aggressive. I also liked her "I don't care about anything" kind of attitude that she had before which really showed in songs like "I Kissed a Girl" and "Waking Up in Vegas".

I think it's just that she's older now and her attitude and sense of humor has changed as she was still a very young woman when she debuted. She was 23 years old. Now she's gonna be 30 in three months, so she's really mellowed out. As a result it shows in her music.

Though its only a few years, that does show how dated even 2008 is with people's ages changing. I imagine things in her personal life, like her marriage and divorce to Russell Brand influenced her too, so she's not quite as aggressive or carefree now.

Another thing that made her first 2 CDs great, was the quality of good album tracks. There's several catchy songs I was hoping would be singles and never were but I love 'em anyway (i.e. Fingertips, If You Can Afford Me, Hummingbird Heartbeat).

Written By: bchris02 on 07/28/14 at 10:59 am

I don't think its so much that she was better in the beginning.  In fact, I don't think her more recent stuff is that different from her early stuff.  What has changed is that in 2008, her genre was new and fresh.  Today, its tired and worn out and being imitated by every one-hit wonder out there.  It's the same with the other divas of the late '00s like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha.  Electropop was great when it was fresh.  Today, pop music is in bad need of something new to mix things up.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 07/28/14 at 11:08 am

I don't think its so much that she was better in the beginning.  In fact, I don't think her more recent stuff is that different from her early stuff.  What has changed is that in 2008, her genre was new and fresh.  Today, its tired and worn out and being imitated by every one-hit wonder out there.  It's the same with the other divas of the late '00s like Lady Gaga and Ke$ha.  Electropop was great when it was fresh.  Today, pop music is in bad need of something new to mix things up.

Well her songs are in a different style than the first album or even the second album. Maybe it's also the previous style that made her music better when she was starting out.
Her songs used to be catchier and funner.

Written By: bchris02 on 07/28/14 at 11:28 am

Well her songs are in a different style than the first album or even the second album. Maybe it's also the previous style that made her music better when she was starting out.
Her songs used to be catchier and funner.

I personally thought Roar was pretty catchy.  I didn't care as much for TGIF or Fireworks.  Her best stuff though was from the first album like "I Kissed A Girl" and "Hot N Cold."

Written By: LyricBoy on 07/28/14 at 1:29 pm

I wonder when she's gonna do a Playboy spread? ???

Written By: 80sfan on 07/28/14 at 2:22 pm

Can she play the guitar? I swear I saw her hold a guitar in 2007's You're so gay. I think her music 'seemed' a bit more authentic the first album. But her songs have become banal and overproduced now.

Written By: Howard on 07/28/14 at 2:33 pm

I wonder when she's gonna do a Playboy spread? ???

Well, there are some fake nudes out there.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 07/28/14 at 2:51 pm

I actually never thought songs like "Hot N Cold" and "California Gurls" were all that.

I think her new stuff is still pretty fun.

All time top 3 favorite songs:

Self-Inflicted
Teenage Dream
Wide Awake

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/28/14 at 8:57 pm

All of you are right, her songs are actually fun and catchy. Both of her first two albums were great to listen and can put you in a good mood. Her first song I heard was Hot n Cold and it was catchy. Even California Gurls was catchy, especially as it was played often in summer 2010. Towards the end of that year, Fireworks was seriously played often and even though it was catchy, it irriated some people because it overplayed. In summer 2011, I heard TGIF alot on the radio and it was one of the catchiest songs than most of the others during that year. From 2008 to 2011, she put out some good songs that were fun and catchy, but last year when I heard her song Roar, it had a different tune. I felt that song had hardcore in it than most of her earlier songs.

Though its only a few years, that does show how dated even 2008 is with people's ages changing.
This is very true. In 2008-09, Katy was 23-25, Gaga was 22-23 and, Kesha was 23. all of their first hits were around this time and they had a fun and energetic tune. Today, Katy is now 29 going on 30, Gaga is now 28 and Kesha is now 27 in which they now have to change their sound as they are hitting their 30s to a more mature sound. 6 years can change alot. Soon enough, the late 00s is not gonna be recent anymore because the sound of music has changed. 

Written By: XYkid on 08/03/14 at 1:23 am

I didn't really care for her in the beginning, but she's grown on me. I actually prefer her more recent music, and I love how her new album has a very 90s pop feel to it.

Written By: Jquar on 08/03/14 at 4:28 am

I also don't care for her older stuff. Her newer stuff I can at least tolerate, but it's more background noise for me than actual music that I could draw anything from. A handful of decent singles but mostly kind of lukewarm for me.

Check for new replies or respond here...