inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: How far are we from 2008, musically?

Written By: Sita0 on 07/30/14 at 4:05 pm

Wiseass answer: "Well, duh, 5.65 years."

(Note: I start at 2008 because it's considered the year that began the current musical era by some.)

My answer: compare what artists are in the top 10 on the billboard charts for each year, 2008-now. I will present it here in reverse chronological order for your convenience, then my analysis of artist popularity changes.

2014:

1. "Rude" - MAGIC!
2. "Fancy" - Iggy Azalea feat. Charli XCX
3. "Stay with Me" - Sam Smith
4. "Problem" - Ariana Grande feat. Iggy Azalea
5. "Am I Wrong?" - Nico & Vinz
6. "All of Me" - John Legend
7. "Maps" - Maroon 5
8. "Wiggle" - Jason Derulo feat. Snoop Dogg
9. "Latch" - Disclosure feat. Sam Smith
10. "Summer" - Calvin Harris

2013:

1. "Blurred Lines" - Robin Thicke feat. TI and Pharrell
2. "Get Lucky" - Daft Punk feat. Pharrell
3. "We Can't Stop" - Miley Cyrus
4. "Radioactive" - Image Dragons
5. "Can't Hold Us" - Macklemore & Ryan Williams feat. Ray Dalton
6. "Cruise" - Florida Georgia Line feat. Nelly
7. "Treasure" - Bruno Mars
8. "Holy Grail" - Jay-Z feat. Justin Timberlake
9. "Mirrors" - Justin Timberlake
10. "Cups" - Anna Kendrick

1. "Call Me Maybe" - Carly Rae Jepsen
2. "Payphone" - Maroon 5 feat. Whiz Khalifa
3. "Wide Awake" - Katy Perry
4. "Somebody that I Used to Know" - Gotye feat. Kimbra
5. "Lights" - Ellie Goulding
6. "Where Have You Been?" - Rihanna
7. "Whistle" - Flo Rida
8. "Titanium" - David Guetta feat. Sia
9. "Blow Me (One Last Kiss)" - Pink
10. "Scream" - Usher

1. "Party Rock Anthem" - LMFAO
2. "Give Me Everything" - Pitbull feat. Ne-Yo, Afrojack, and Nayer
3. "Rolling in the Deep" - Adele
4. "Last Friday Night (TGIF)" - Katy Perry
5. "Super Bass" - Nicki Minaj
6. "The Edge of Glory" - Lady Gaga
7. "How to Love" - Lil' Wayne
8. "Good Life" - OneRepublic
9. "Tonight Tonight" - Hot Chelle Rae
10. "E. T." - Katy Perry feat. Kanye West

1. "California Gurls" - Katy Perry feat. Snoop Dogg
2. "Love the Way You Lie" - Eminem feat. Rihanna
3. "Airplanes" - B.o.B. feat. Hayley Williams
4. "OMG" - Usher feat. Will.i.am
5. "Billionaire" - Travie McCoy feat. Bruno Mars
6. "Dynamite" - Taio Cruz
7. "Cooler Than Me" - Mike Posner
8. "I Like It" - Enqrique Iglesias feat. Pitbull
9. "Find Your Love" - Drake
10. "Ridin' Solo" - Jason Derulo

1. "I Gotta Feeling" - The Black Eyed Peas
2. "Best I Ever Had" - Drake
3. "Boom Boom Pow" - The Black Eyed Peas
4. "Knock You Down" - Keri Hilson feat. Kanye West and Ne-Yo
5. "Fire Burning" - Sean Kingston
6. "You Belong with Me" - Taylor Swift
7. "LoveGame" - Lady Gaga
8. "I Know You Want Me" - Pitbull
9. "Birthday Sex" - Jeremih
10. "He Could be the One" - Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus

1. "I Kissed a Girl" - Katy Perry
2. "Take a Bow" - Rihanna
3. "Lollipop" - Lil' Wayne feat. Static Major
4. "Forever" - Chris Brown
5. "Bleeding Love" - Leona Lewis
6. "Pocketful of Sunshine" - Natasha Bedingfield
7. "Viva La Vida" - Coldplay
8. "A Milli" - Lil' Wayne
9. "7 Things" - Hannah Montana/Miley Cyrus
10. "Bust It Baby (Part 2)" Plies feat. Ne-Yo

Thus, the most enduringly popular multi-year artists (2008-2014, last week of July) are:
1. Katy Perry (2008, 2010, 2011, 2012)
2. Miley Cyrus (2008, 2009, 2013) (technically) / Rihanna (2008, 2010, 2012) / Ne-Yo (2008, 2009, 2011) / Pitbull (2009, 2010, 2011)
6. Lil' Wayne (2008, 2011) / Maroon 5 (2012, 2014) / Kanye West (2009, 2011) / Snoop Dogg (2010, 2014)

And the most popular one-year artists/groups:

1. The Black Eyed Peas (2009/2) / Katy Perry (2011/2) / Pharrell Williams (2013/2) / Iggy Azalea (2014/2) / Sam Smith (2014/2) / Lil' Wayne (2008/2)

Subject: Re: How far are we from 2008, musically?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 07/30/14 at 5:59 pm

I say a little far because the musical tune I heard back in 2008-10 on the radio I dont hear on there anymore. The songs I heard this year and last year have a different tune now.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/01/14 at 2:28 pm

Not very far. Songs from 2008 to present sounds the same to me.

Written By: XYkid on 08/02/14 at 1:46 am

2008 and 2009 still had a lot of 'emo' type music being very popular, like 'Shake It' by Metro Station. Although that song in particular doesn't sound that old today, it's very unlikely that a song like that would top the charts anymore. It's kind of like how Backstreet Boys and NSYNC were still commonly played on the radio in 2004, despite the fact that the boy band trend ended by 2001/2002.
Also, Ukuleles were very popular among the hipster crowd around 2008-2011, but not so much nowadays.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/02/14 at 3:14 am

Not far, but not the same either. Slight difference, but not a drastic change. We'll probably see a bigger shift in music next year.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/02/14 at 6:11 am

Electropop was very fresh, new and exciting in late 2008 and 2009. And it still had some traces of past genres (which is sadly gone now). Katy's early songs like Hot N Cold and Waking Up in Vegas...while not rock per se, had a strong pop/rock influence.

I think 2011 to now is pretty similar, like when autotune pop really became mainstream.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/14 at 10:48 pm

2008 and 2009 still had a lot of 'emo' type music being very popular, like 'Shake It' by Metro Station. Although that song in particular doesn't sound that old today, it's very unlikely that a song like that would top the charts anymore. It's kind of like how Backstreet Boys and NSYNC were still commonly played on the radio in 2004, despite the fact that the boy band trend ended by 2001/2002.
Also, Ukuleles were very popular among the hipster crowd around 2008-2011, but not so much nowadays.

2008 and 2009 were also the last hurrah for ringtone "snap" rap.  Songs like these were everywhere.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0yfArN-e2OU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mgvP-hKC66Y

It's music like this that makes me say that the late '00s were still very much the '00s and not the '10s, despite the fact that the groundwork for '10s trends was coming into place.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/02/14 at 11:12 pm

2008 and 2009 were also the last hurrah for ringtone "snap" rap.  Songs like these were everywhere.

It's music like this that makes me say that the late '00s were still very much the '00s and not the '10s, despite the fact that the groundwork for '10s trends was coming into place.

It was a lot less techno oriented
I agree that 08 and 09 were still 00s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvnkAtWcKYg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XYr5IC-mGi4
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJk6gZuPKRE

could you find songs like this on the radio in 2014? good luck with that

Written By: XYkid on 08/03/14 at 12:31 am

There were songs that came out last year with that style, "Versace" and "Gas Pedal", but otherwise I agree with you that that style is not very common anymore.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/03/14 at 12:41 am

Not to mention the electropop type music in 2008/2009 was a lot better than now
Compare this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mU6h4Xdxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXvmSaE0JXA
to the boring electropop we hear today
What we hear on the radio today doesn't even make you feel like dancing
it puts you to sleep

Written By: Slim95 on 08/03/14 at 1:01 am

Not to mention the electropop type music in 2008/2009 was a lot better than now
Compare this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E1mU6h4Xdxc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXvmSaE0JXA
to the boring electropop we hear today
What we hear on the radio today doesn't even make you feel like dancing
it puts you to sleep

Those two songs make me sleepy personally.  :P

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/14 at 7:54 am

There were songs that came out last year with that style, "Versace" and "Gas Pedal", but otherwise I agree with you that that style is not very common anymore.

You didn't hear those songs unless you listen to an "urban" radio station.  They didn't get Top 40 airplay like similar songs did back in 2009.  I live in a rural area but can sometimes pick up an urban station from the city two hours away and even on it, there is a big difference between this year and last year.  The station used to lean heavily towards hip-hop but now is mostly R&B.

Those two songs make me sleepy personally.  :P

I don't think the songs he posted were the best songs from the late '00s but his point is valid.  Electropop in 2008-2011 was fun, catchy, and made you want to dance.  Today its just bland and boring.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/04/14 at 9:29 am

Singers like Miley Cyrus, Justin Beiber, Demi Lovato and Selena Gomez are at a very different place compared to the late 00's.

Written By: GH1996 on 08/18/14 at 2:42 pm

It all kinda sounds the same... 2008 seemed to have more emotional stuff and emo stuff like someone said... 2014 is just another story.. I can't stand it! There's a couple good songs I guess but they all sound the same or give me headaches!  :-\\

Written By: Paul on 08/18/14 at 3:34 pm

It all kinda sounds the same... 2008 seemed to have more emotional stuff and emo stuff like someone said... 2014 is just another story.. I can't stand it! There's a couple good songs I guess but they all sound the same or give me headaches!  :-\\

Same here, but I've has this problem since 1988...

'So what, you boring old fart?' some may think, but ah! Once they've reached the other side of 30, they'll start to agree!

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/18/14 at 5:04 pm

It seems today's music is targeted at females born from 2000-2003/4.

Written By: GH1996 on 08/18/14 at 10:21 pm

'So what, you boring old fart?' some may think, but ah! Once they've reached the other side of 30, they'll start to agree!

Exactly!

Written By: XYkid on 08/18/14 at 10:24 pm

It seems today's music is targeted at females born from 2000-2003/4.
I swear it's like every year the primary demographic of mainstream music gets more and more narrow. Back in the 90s, there was music for everyone, and it was all equally popular of or the most part. Now I find it hard to picture anyone in their 30s or 40s liking any of today's music. The alternative scene has mostly become a bunch of annoying indie crap too.
I'm not saying 2008 was any better though, in fact I still think 2008 was one of the worst years in music.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/19/14 at 12:06 am

This is so frustrating, everything changed so drastically that year that it started a brand new era in pop culture and society in general. The music, it all sounds the same to me. No matter how much time passes, I always feel like we haven't left 2008. Nothing has changed, and I'm hoping for some big changes next year.

Written By: Howard on 08/19/14 at 1:39 pm

Now I find it hard to picture anyone in their 30s or 40s liking any of today's music

I don't like today's music and I'm 40.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/19/14 at 3:32 pm

It's poppy pop everywhere

Written By: Smiley on 08/21/14 at 11:03 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LDZX4ooRsWs
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nfWlot6h_JM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YswhUHH6Ufc
very far...

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/22/14 at 7:40 am

That wiggle wiggle song seems straight from the mid-00's.

Written By: Slim95 on 08/22/14 at 11:39 am

True. Only difference is in the mid 00s they would of acted dead serious in the video while doing the song while now it isn't serious and the video is supposed to be funny.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/22/14 at 1:59 pm

Say what?

Written By: Henk on 08/22/14 at 3:36 pm

This is so frustrating, everything changed so drastically that year that it started a brand new era in pop culture and society in general. The music, it all sounds the same to me. No matter how much time passes, I always feel like we haven't left 2008. Nothing has changed, and I'm hoping for some big changes next year.

Say what?

Written By: GH1996 on 08/23/14 at 2:42 pm

I don't like today's music and I'm 18!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/23/14 at 4:15 pm

I don't like today's music and I'm 18!

Is it mainstream music you both don't like or all today's music in general?

Written By: Howard on 08/23/14 at 6:05 pm

Is it mainstream music you both don't like or all today's music in general?

It's just that today's music, I agree some music is good but some of them hardly have any tunes. I listen to most of it and I say to myself, "This is music"? ::)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/23/14 at 9:20 pm

It's just that today's music, I agree some music is good but some of them hardly have any tunes. I listen to most of it and I say to myself, "This is music"? ::)
Ohhh.  I see now.  Yeah,  most don't have tunes  and I noticed that today's music doesn't have variety in it either.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/23/14 at 11:30 pm

I swear it's like every year the primary demographic of mainstream music gets more and more narrow. Back in the 90s, there was music for everyone, and it was all equally popular of or the most part. Now I find it hard to picture anyone in their 30s or 40s liking any of today's music. The alternative scene has mostly become a bunch of annoying indie crap too.
I'm not saying 2008 was any better though, in fact I still think 2008 was one of the worst years in music.

Yeah, that's my biggest beef with it too...there's less overall genres in the mainstream period and it's very heavily aimed at tweens and females. I hate that guitar rock is pretty much entirely dead on the charts. Hip-hop tinged dance pop is the only thing that "sticks" now, like modern Katy Perry songs.

Even the first half of the 2000s had alot of mellower "grocery store music" like Five For Fighting, Vanessa Carlton, James Blunt (though he sucked  ;D) and early Avril which you don't see now.

Written By: Howard on 08/24/14 at 6:39 am

Ohhh.  I see now.  Yeah,  most don't have tunes  and I noticed that today's music doesn't have variety in it either.

Most songs I hear on the radio today is all about curse words, drug references and having sex with girls showing their breasts and butts. Whatever happened to talent?

Written By: GH1996 on 08/26/14 at 1:01 am

Most songs I hear on the radio today is all about curse words, drug references and having sex with girls showing their breasts and butts. Whatever happened to talent?

I can't stand it!! I'm on social media a lot and I always see people my age (18, even younger kids) posting stuff like that (sex, drugs, promoting violence).  I would've never thought songs like that would've came out...

Apparently anyone can make music nowadays, just throw in some curses and involve sex and you've got yourself a hit!

Written By: Howard on 08/26/14 at 6:42 am

I can't stand it!! I'm on social media a lot and I always see people my age (18, even younger kids) posting stuff like that (sex, drugs, promoting violence).  I would've never thought songs like that would've came out...

Apparently anyone can make music nowadays, just throw in some curses and involve sex and you've got yourself a hit!

and this is why I don't listen to the radio that often anymore.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/26/14 at 1:15 pm

I wonder when the next new trend will come in for music. Everything is becoming very stale and boring.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/26/14 at 7:59 pm

There is still talent today. You just have to dig deeper.

Thats true, but I don't think thats their image. I think that the record producers are forcing them to sing about stuff.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/26/14 at 10:58 pm

I wonder when the next new trend will come in for music. Everything is becoming very stale and boring.

Yeah, it seriously can't get much worse than now - no guitar rock, no mellow sappy love songs, tons of rhythmic hip-hop noisy pop, and even the sound that initially made Katy and Gaga catchy and fun back in 2008-10 has been totally watered down.

Then again I was saying that in the mid 00s and even in 1999 too and I was proven wrong, so I should be careful what I wish for. ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 08/26/14 at 11:05 pm

Music will stay like this until around 2018. Music always changes every 10 years or so. By 2019, music will sound really different. But you can definitely expect the same type of music for the next few years.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/26/14 at 11:10 pm

Music will stay like this until around 2018. Music always changes every 10 years or so. By 2019, music will sound really different. But you can definitely expect the same type of music for the next few years.

Yeah, it seriously can't get much worse than now - no guitar rock, no mellow sappy love songs, tons of rhythmic hip-hop noisy pop, and even the sound that initially made Katy and Gaga catchy and fun back in 2008-10 has been totally watered down.

Then again I was saying that in the mid 00s and even in 1999 too and I was proven wrong, so I should be careful what I wish for. ;D

I can definitely understand this as today's music has no variety and it doesn't have good messages like older songs did.

Written By: Howard on 08/27/14 at 7:35 am

I look forward to hearing the new music trend.

Written By: Visor765 on 08/28/14 at 10:21 am

I think current Top 40 music is better than people think. People really don't look outside the Top 10. It's only the A-lister musicians that peak in the Top 10 because they have a huge label to back them up and spend a lot of money promoting those songs. It's really the positions #11-40 where the good music lies. The age range is actually pretty flexible. Here are some humble Top 40 hits on the Billboard Hot 100:

1. Rather Be - Clean Bandit (#13)
2. Habits - Tove Lo (#23)
3. Cool Kids - Echosmith (#25)
4. 2 On - Tinashe (#24)

So there are some songs that aren't aimed at preteens and teenage girls. There's more, but I don't like them. One thing I feel the 2010s has sorely been lacking in music is hooks. That's what makes a song memorable. Now it seems more like the instrumental breakdowns are the hooks rather than the chorus lyrics. I also hope rock and r&b make a big comeback within the next 2-3 years.

Written By: tv on 09/14/14 at 9:17 pm

Very True! I was saying the same thing although I did like a good amount of music from 2001-mid 2005.

Written By: tv on 09/21/14 at 8:44 pm

Well glam rap was still hanging on albeit on a thread in the first half of 2008 but just barely. You could kinda tell its time of being the dominant trend in music was waning or coming to an end.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/23/14 at 4:21 pm

Well glam rap was still hanging on albeit on a thread in the first half of 2008 but just barely. You could kinda tell its time of being the dominant trend in music was waning or coming to an end.

Where I lived glam rap hung on pretty strongly even into 2009.  I don't know if anybody remembers a song called "Plenty Money" by rapper Plies but it was pretty popular in early '09.  That summer you saw pretty strong ringtone rap hits like "Ice Cream Paint Job" and "Halle Berry."  By late '09 you really started to see a shift.

As for today's music, I think that it has become too monotonous.  It's all EDM-infuenced, female-oriented pop or teen-pop.  There are a few hip-hop holdovers that are still pretty popular.  There is really very little true EDM, rock, or low-key music today. 

Written By: sonikuu on 09/24/14 at 8:14 am

I think people kind of forget that rap kind of went through a weird phase around 2006 to 2008.  Mid-2006 to mid-2007 saw rap's dominance significantly ebbing, as Dance-Pop like Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, and such all gained massive mainstream popularity.  I remember MTV's website proclaiming that the rising genre of the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards was dance-pop.  Emo also arguably hit its commercial peak around this time.  According to Wikipedia, which I looked up just now, from May 2006 to May 2007, a whole 52 weeks or so, rap songs were #1 on Billboard for 11 weeks, and two of those weeks were on the very un-glam "Don't Matter."

Then all of the sudden late 2007 came into the picture and rap surged back.  From August 2007 to June 2008, which would only be around 44 weeks or so, rap songs were #1 for 27 weeks (I'm counting "Kiss Kiss" as "glam rap" because it basically fits right in), and Tha Carter III became the first album in several years to sell over one million copies in the first week.  Luckily in retrospect, rap's resurgence as top dog seemed to have faded with the summer of 2008.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/24/14 at 1:34 pm

I think people kind of forget that rap kind of went through a weird phase around 2006 to 2008.  Mid-2006 to mid-2007 saw rap's dominance significantly ebbing, as Dance-Pop like Justin Timberlake, Nelly Furtado, Rihanna, and such all gained massive mainstream popularity.  I remember MTV's website proclaiming that the rising genre of the 2007 MTV Video Music Awards was dance-pop.  Emo also arguably hit its commercial peak around this time.  According to Wikipedia, which I looked up just now, from May 2006 to May 2007, a whole 52 weeks or so, rap songs were #1 on Billboard for 11 weeks, and two of those weeks were on the very un-glam "Don't Matter."

Then all of the sudden late 2007 came into the picture and rap surged back.  From August 2007 to June 2008, which would only be around 44 weeks or so, rap songs were #1 for 27 weeks (I'm counting "Kiss Kiss" as "glam rap" because it basically fits right in), and Tha Carter III became the first album in several years to sell over one million copies in the first week.  Luckily in retrospect, rap's resurgence as top dog seemed to have faded with the summer of 2008.

Hip–Hip didn't decline in mid 2006. Don't you remember "Me & U" by Cassie, "Do It To It" by Cherish, "Get Up" by Ciara, and "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado? Here's the Year End Hot 100 charts for 2006.
http://longboredsurfer.com/charts/2006

Written By: XYkid on 09/24/14 at 4:04 pm

Glam rap was still fairly relevant until around 2009. If you went to a school dance in 2009 and compared to the stuff they would play now, it's completely different.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/24/14 at 8:58 pm

Glam rap was still fairly relevant until around 2009. If you went to a school dance in 2009 and compared to the stuff they would play now, it's completely different.

Shoot, 2009 is actually pretty nostalgic for me already (even if I was already 27-28). The electropop had a very fresh and vibrant sound. Not just early Katy and GaGa, but some synthpop/indie stuff has already seemingly become long forgotten, like Metro Station and Owl City.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/25/14 at 8:36 am

Hip–Hip didn't decline in mid 2006. Don't you remember "Me & U" by Cassie, "Do It To It" by Cherish, "Get Up" by Ciara, and "Promiscuous" by Nelly Furtado? Here's the Year End Hot 100 charts for 2006.

Hip-Hop was still very popular in 2006, and definitely more than today.  But relatively, compared to 2005, it was a decline.  Compare the amount of rap songs in the top 30 songs of 2006 compared to 2005, it is a lesser number.  Even the songs you mentioned, two of them ("Me & U" and "Get Up") are R&B, not Hip-Hop, though the two are often times joined at the hip these days, and have been that way for some time.  "Promiscuous" definitely has a heavy hip-hop influence, but I remember it being more grouped with the emergent dance-pop trend at the time with Justin Timberlake and Rihanna and such.

Written By: Bobby on 09/25/14 at 11:48 am

What!?! You don't appreciate Kylie Minogue and Jason Donovan...?  >:(  ...  ;D

I totally understand, Paul and I reached that stage way before the age of 30. What I have noticed is that a lot of popstars don't seem to sing so much anymore, they just tend to whine in tune.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/25/14 at 1:07 pm

Hip-hop didn't really noticeably start to fade until mid 2008 or 2009 depending on what part of the country you were in.  Definitely NOT in 2006, which was probably the peak year for ringtone rap.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 8:37 am

Shoot, 2009 is actually pretty nostalgic for me already (even if I was already 27-28). The electropop had a very fresh and vibrant sound. Not just early Katy and GaGa, but some synthpop/indie stuff has already seemingly become long forgotten, like Metro Station and Owl City.

Hell that's true. I haven't even listened to "Metro Station" in a while.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/14 at 12:19 pm

...like Metro Station and Owl City.

Owl City was great in his indie days.  I was listening to him before anybody knew who he was.  Popularity ruined him.

Written By: tv on 10/11/14 at 4:57 pm

Hip-hop didn't really noticeably start to fade until mid 2008 or 2009 depending on what part of the country you were in.  Definitely NOT in 2006, which was probably the peak year for ringtone rap.
I think Hip-Hop did take a temporary break in popularity in 2006. In Late Winter, Spring and Summer of 2006 it wasn't that popular.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/11/14 at 11:56 pm

Owl City was great in his indie days.  I was listening to him before anybody knew who he was.  Popularity ruined him.

I liked all of Owl's albums up until All Things Bright and Beautiful. I didn't like Midsummer Station much, sounded just like a bunch of Katy Perry songs.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/12/14 at 3:02 pm

I liked all of Owl's albums up until All Things Bright and Beautiful. I didn't like Midsummer Station much, sounded just like a bunch of Katy Perry songs.

Ocean Eyes was the last really good album in my opinion.  After that each album has been much worse than the previous.

Written By: XYkid on 10/12/14 at 11:34 pm

Ocean Eyes was the last really good album in my opinion.  After that each album has been much worse than the previous.
I'm a huge Owl City fan. I enjoyed his 2011 album, but the one after that was awful.
However, he is releasing new stuff, and it sounds like his older stuff. Check out his song Up All Night.

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/11/14 at 9:56 am

It seems like hip-hop started to come back in 2013 and 2014. There seems to be a lot more now than in 2010-2012, when Drake and Lil' Wayne seemed to be the only hip-hop artists that were popular. Also, it seems that the West Coast is ruling the hip-hop scene now, with artists like Kendrick Lamar and YG. There aren't too many Atlanta-based rappers now, not like the peak of the crunk scene in the mid-2000's.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/11/14 at 6:31 pm

It seems like hip-hop started to come back in 2013 and 2014. There seems to be a lot more now than in 2010-2012, when Drake and Lil' Wayne seemed to be the only hip-hop artists that were popular. Also, it seems that the West Coast is ruling the hip-hop scene now, with artists like Kendrick Lamar and YG. There aren't too many Atlanta-based rappers now, not like the peak of the crunk scene in the mid-2000's.

Yeah I'm sort of annoyed because I don't like hip hop at all.  :P

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/11/15 at 6:22 am

Another year away!

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/12/15 at 10:25 am

I sounds a little bit different. But like the late 90s, is usually a precursor to the next decade.
0IxB38ZbRgk
qrOeGCJdZe4
hMo9vNVkPOs
Y9NtRgRmMdA (Think this was 2010, but was made in '09)

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/12/15 at 10:28 am

Maybe in the US, in Canada we had some top notch hits.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/12/15 at 10:30 am

Yeah, that seems to the the 2010s trend. In the '00s there was variety all around.

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/12/15 at 10:34 am

Very True! I was saying the same thing although I did like a good amount of music from 2001-mid 2005.

Those year were fantasic for music
Nh7_TZ-z-yA

Written By: Shemp97 on 01/12/15 at 11:15 am

Yep, I'm a hipster too. I still have an old ipod shuffle I got in 2008-8 with some of his songs on it among others.
I even listened to k'naan before Coco Cola and Young Artists destroyed his songs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 5:24 am

Yeah I'm sort of annoyed because I don't like hip hop at all.  :P
I would think the majority detest hip hop!

Written By: Howard on 01/14/15 at 2:40 pm

I would think the majority detest hip hop!

I like hip-hop, the old school kind.

Written By: GH1996 on 01/17/15 at 11:24 pm

Yep, I'm a hipster too. I still have an old ipod shuffle I got in 2008-8 with some of his songs on it among others.
I even listened to k'naan before Coco Cola and Young Artists destroyed his songs.

Still have my iPod mini that I've have since 2004, hasn't been updated since about early 2006.. Like stepping back 9/10 years

Check for new replies or respond here...