inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When will music hit rock bottom?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/02/14 at 5:44 pm

2014 is the worst year I've heard yet and it keeps getting worse and worse for years on end.
It has to hit rock bottom at some point then bounce back up.

Subject: Re: When will music hit rock bottom?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/02/14 at 6:02 pm

2014 is the worst year I've heard yet and it keeps getting worse and worse for years on end.

I know what you mean.  Ke$ha has not put out any new music so far this year. 

I think things will be looking up when she comes out with her next release.  8)

Written By: Howard on 08/02/14 at 6:14 pm

Do you also mean music in general? ???

Written By: Sita0 on 08/02/14 at 6:18 pm

I know what you mean.  Ke$ha has not put out any new music so far this year. 

I think things will be looking up when she comes out with her next release.  8)

Indeed. Ke$ha is practically singlehandedly keeping music alive folks!  ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/14 at 9:29 pm

I believe 2013 was the worst year yet.  2014 has been better, but just barely.  It's almost as bad as 2013.  If I was 18 and not 28 I would probably like today's music a lot better.  Most people's fondness for Top 40 gradually dissipates as they get further past age 25. 

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/02/14 at 11:17 pm

I believe 2013 was the worst year yet.  2014 has been better, but just barely.  It's almost as bad as 2013.  If I was 18 and not 28 I would probably like today's music a lot better.  Most people's fondness for Top 40 gradually dissipates as they get further past age 25.

How is 2014 better in your opinion? It seems even less memorable than even 2013.
I don't think it's my age even though I am over 25. I think it's because music has genuinely gotten worse. I like a few new songs but the problem is mainstream radio doesn't play them that often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCdwKhTtNNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_9ny4WqPFs

Written By: bchris02 on 08/02/14 at 11:53 pm

How is 2014 better in your opinion? It seems even less memorable than even 2013.
I don't think it's my age even though I am over 25. I think it's because music has genuinely gotten worse. I like a few new songs but the problem is mainstream radio doesn't play them that often.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GCdwKhTtNNw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J_9ny4WqPFs

2014 had a decent start.  Songs like "All of Me", "Alone", "Find You", and "She Looks So Perfect" are decent.  I will admit that this summer has been pretty bad but there have even been some decent songs like "Stay With Me" and "Fancy."  Those songs are better and more memorable than anything in 2013.  In my opinion, the only songs I will remember from 2013 is Miley Cyrus' "We Can't Stop" and that "Blurred Lines" song.

Most people think the best music was when they children through their mid-twenties.  That's why most Baby Boomers are so fond of '70s and '80s music but want nothing to do with anything afterwards.  '80s babies are probably going to like Top 40 less and less as the years progress.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/03/14 at 12:46 am

2014 had a decent start.  Songs like "All of Me", "Alone", "Find You", and "She Looks So Perfect" are decent.  I will admit that this summer has been pretty bad but there have even been some decent songs like "Stay With Me" and "Fancy."  Those songs are better and more memorable than anything in 2013.  In my opinion, the only songs I will remember from 2013 is Miley Cyrus' "We Can't Stop" and that "Blurred Lines" song.

Most people think the best music was when they children through their mid-twenties.  That's why most Baby Boomers are so fond of '70s and '80s music but want nothing to do with anything afterwards.  '80s babies are probably going to like Top 40 less and less as the years progress.

Even a lot of teenagers don't like today's music. It isn't just us. I think we will like music a lot more once something new comes around. Maybe changes will happen in the late 2010s.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/03/14 at 12:59 pm

There's definitely some validity in people over 25 getting pickier about music (and other pop culture) that they like, and starting to dislike more new stuff. Though of course everyone's different too, there's teens who hate current pop, and some 40 year olds who like it.

For what its worth, I turned 25 in late 2006 and I actually thought the music of 2008 and 2009 was pretty damn good. The (at the time) brand new electropop like GaGa, Katy, and shortlived stuff like Metro Station was not only kinda retro 80s with a modern twist, but was a breath of fresh air after years of crunk and snap rap and post grunge.

Once Biebs hit the scene in 2010, the mainstream music began sucking again, same with most of the girly autotune pop (though some of it was kinda guilty pleasure catchy). The indie music of 2011 and 2012 was amazing, though most of the top 40 was horrible. 2013 had some great retro tinged pop hits and catchy songs, so I was getting hopeful again, but this year in 2014 it seems to be a very bland combination of dance-rap and girly pop (i.e. Fancy is both), and slow piano ballads.

I guess the short answer is that I actually still like some current/almost current music despite being over 30 now, I'm just picky about it and its usually stuff that reminds me of what I grew up with, of course anything catchy melodic and 80s-sounding.

Written By: Bobby on 08/03/14 at 1:10 pm

There's definitely some validity in people over 25 getting pickier about music (and other pop culture) that they like, and starting to dislike more new stuff. Though of course everyone's different too, there's teens who hate current pop, and some 40 year olds who like it.

I'm pleasantly surprised at how broad-minded and accepting young people are today as it seems they are willing to take a chance on music that doesn't fit their usual genre or time scale. I was chatting with a bloke in his mid-20s at work who likes 'Vienna' by Ultravox and even knew the song 'The Boogie Woogie Bugle Boy of Company B' by The Andrew Sisters - impressed me it did.  :)

I suppose the answer to the question; "When will music hit rock bottom?" is "the minute before people stop paying for it".

Written By: Visor765 on 08/03/14 at 1:37 pm

I really like Ariana Grande's "Problem", but I truly, absolutely DESPISE those Jason Derulo songs (such as "Talk Dirty to Me" and "Wiggle" and the likes), as well as Rude. I liked it as first... But then it became SO ANNOYING!!!!! >:(

I am unimpressed with the trap music, although it's pretty original I guess.

Written By: bchris02 on 08/03/14 at 1:41 pm

For what its worth, I turned 25 in late 2006 and I actually thought the music of 2008 and 2009 was pretty damn good. The (at the time) brand new electropop like GaGa, Katy, and shortlived stuff like Metro Station was not only kinda retro 80s with a modern twist, but was a breath of fresh air after years of crunk and snap rap and post grunge.

Once Biebs hit the scene in 2010, the mainstream music began sucking again, same with most of the girly autotune pop (though some of it was kinda guilty pleasure catchy). The indie music of 2011 and 2012 was amazing, though most of the top 40 was horrible. 2013 had some great retro tinged pop hits and catchy songs, so I was getting hopeful again, but this year in 2014 it seems to be a very bland combination of dance-rap and girly pop (i.e. Fancy is both), and slow piano ballads.

I guess the short answer is that I actually still like some current/almost current music despite being over 30 now, I'm just picky about it and its usually stuff that reminds me of what I grew up with, of course anything catchy melodic and 80s-sounding.

Great post.

There was a definite musical shift when Bieber hit the scene.  Everything started to skew younger (pre-teen) and more female oriented.  Even artists like Katy Perry, who I really liked in the beginning, departed from her style and went full teen pop with her "Teenage Dream" album.  2010 and '11 still had enough lingering '00s influence however that they weren't completely boring.  Songs like "Break Your Heart", "Give Me Everything," and "S&M," and others had that late '00s sound.  I also agree that the '10s so far have had great indie songs.  I also think the pure eletropop, stuff you won't hear on Top 40, has been decent.  It will be great though to see this wave of teen pop finally fade away.

I wonder if Generation X has similar thoughts about the late '90s when Top 40 suddenly became dominated by boy and girl bands like N'Sync and the Spice Girls.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/03/14 at 2:23 pm

Great post.

There was a definite musical shift when Bieber hit the scene.  Everything started to skew younger (pre-teen) and more female oriented.  Even artists like Katy Perry, who I really liked in the beginning, departed from her style and went full teen pop with her "Teenage Dream" album.  2010 and '11 still had enough lingering '00s influence however that they weren't completely boring.  Songs like "Break Your Heart", "Give Me Everything," and "S&M," and others had that late '00s sound.  I also agree that the '10s so far have had great indie songs.  I also think the pure eletropop, stuff you won't hear on Top 40, has been decent.  It will be great though to see this wave of teen pop finally fade away.

I wonder if Generation X has similar thoughts about the late '90s when Top 40 suddenly became dominated by boy and girl bands like N'Sync and the Spice Girls.

I think they did, especially during the 1999-2000 era. Although back then the difference was there was a lot more variety on the charts and some of the teen pop songs could also go as adult contemporary. Today you're too old for the music if you're over the age of 15.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/14 at 2:37 pm

Indeed. Ke$ha is practically singlehandedly keeping music alive folks!  ;D

How is that?  ???

Written By: Howard on 08/03/14 at 2:40 pm

Because after the 80's were over music just became crap. (IMO)

Written By: Howard on 08/03/14 at 2:42 pm

It's ok, just not crazy about it. But I barely listen to the radio anyways.

Written By: Howard on 08/03/14 at 2:44 pm

I suppose the answer to the question; "When will music hit rock bottom?" is "the minute before people stop paying for it".

when singers won't come out with anymore songs, that's when it will hit rock bottom.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/03/14 at 8:00 pm

The music industry is just killing music

Written By: Sita0 on 08/03/14 at 8:39 pm

How is that?  ???

I'm pretty sure that  "Tik Tok" outclasses anything by Beethoven or Mozart!  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 08/03/14 at 10:46 pm

True. They control the mainstream, unfortunately.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/04/14 at 12:11 am

Great post.

Thanks, and I couldn't have said that any better myself. :) Yeah, 2010s pop skews far FAR too young and female. Probably even worse than it did circa 1999-2000.

I think there's been a few good mainstream pop nuggets like "Give Your Heart A Break" (the only Demi song I like, and it could pass for AC kinda too) but its like the industry intentionally pushes the crappiest music to get popular and overlooks the good stuff. We could have an amazing 2010s Top 40 if indie bands could be mainstream and not just have 1 or 2 one-off crossover hits. Foster The People and Of Monsters & Men are great but they're sadly nowhere even close to as popular.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/04/14 at 12:37 am

If you want to hold out hope that maybe we might just be in a bit of a slump right now and that popular music will start improving sometime in the future, then please, for the love of God, do NOT watch Last Call with Carson Daly.

I swear they have the absolute sh!ttiest bands on that show. And if these are the up-and-coming groups that are going to dominate the airwaves in the next few years then we're in trouble.  :-\\

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/14 at 1:51 am

Thanks, and I couldn't have said that any better myself. :) Yeah, 2010s pop skews far FAR too young and female. Probably even worse than it did circa 1999-2000.

I think there's been a few good mainstream pop nuggets like "Give Your Heart A Break" (the only Demi song I like, and it could pass for AC kinda too) but its like the industry intentionally pushes the crappiest music to get popular and overlooks the good stuff. We could have an amazing 2010s Top 40 if indie bands could be mainstream and not just have 1 or 2 one-off crossover hits. Foster The People and Of Monsters & Men are great but they're sadly nowhere even close to as popular.

Any theories on why they do this? People say it's money but if you look at the industry, they are losing money everywhere, even digital now.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/14 at 2:18 am

If you want to hold out hope that maybe we might just be in a bit of a slump right now and that popular music will start improving sometime in the future, then please, for the love of God, do NOT watch Last Call with Carson Daly.

I swear they have the absolute sh!ttiest bands on that show. And if these are the up-and-coming groups that are going to dominate the airwaves in the next few years then we're in trouble.  :-\\

We need a musical savior a la Elvis or Michael Jackson. Maybe without Mike's creepiness and all!

Or, maybe Mozart or Beethoven for centuries ago are other examples of musical saviors of other centuries and times.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/04/14 at 2:25 am

We need a musical savior a la Elvis or Michael Jackson. Maybe without Mike's creepiness and all!

Or, maybe Mozart or Beethoven for centuries ago are other examples of musical saviors of other centuries and times.

I'm still waiting for Chinese Elvis to make his appearance.

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/14 at 2:32 am

I'm still waiting for Chinese Elvis to make his appearance.

"He knows when you are sleeping, he knows when you're awake, he knows when you've been bad or good, so be good for goodness sake!"

He's watching you AL, Chinese Elvis is watching you and he'll come to save us when he knows we're good.  :(

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/04/14 at 2:46 am

Any theories on why they do this? People say it's money but if you look at the industry, they are losing money everywhere, even digital now.

I think it's because the record industry has always targeted their product most heavily towards teenage girls because they're probably the group that generates the most sales.

We're living in a weird time right now. Right now, technology is advancing at such a rapid pace that it's evolving faster than we can adapt to it, and the record industry is one that is being especially impacted by this. And I wonder if pop music is being more heavily market-researched and focus-grouped today than it ever has been before and the record companies are leaning on their safest customer base (teenage girls) to turn enough profit to keep themselves afloat.

I don't know who mentioned this or where I saw this (maybe it was BayAreaNostalgist?), but somewhere here, someone mentioned that they should start basing the Billboard Top 40 charts on how many YouTube hits a song gets as opposed to how much radio airplay it receives or how many CD's or downloads it sells. I think this would be a great idea. It could very well give control of musical trends back to the people, but unfortunately that's exactly what the record companies would be vehemently opposed to.

He's watching you AL, Chinese Elvis is watching you and he'll come to save us when he knows we're good.  :(

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VQFxmAdyKcg

;)

Written By: 80sfan on 08/04/14 at 3:12 am

I think it's because the record industry has always targeted their product most heavily towards teenage girls because they're probably the group that generates the most sales.

We're living in a weird time right now. Right now, technology is advancing at such a rapid pace that it's evolving faster than we can adapt to it, and the record industry is one that is being especially impacted by this. And I wonder if pop music is being more heavily market-researched and focus-grouped today than it ever has been before and the record companies are leaning on their safest customer base (teenage girls) to turn enough profit to keep themselves afloat.

I don't know who mentioned this or where I saw this (maybe it was BayAreaNostalgist?), but somewhere here, someone mentioned that they should start basing the Billboard Top 40 charts on how many YouTube hits a song gets as opposed to how much radio airplay it receives or how many CD's or downloads it sells. I think this would be a great idea. It could very well give control of musical trends back to the people, but unfortunately that's exactly what the record companies would be vehemently opposed to.

;)

And there in lies the problem with the music industry for the past ten to fifteen years. By holding on so tightly they overall lose, it's all about power and control in the end. They want to play big daddy. "Do what I tell you to do and what I say because I'm in charge!"

They don't care about the customer anymore and that's the problem. Maybe this downturn or stagnation of the music industry is some type of karmic payback for treating some of their singers and behind the scenes people like sheesh, there's dirty behind the scene things that we don't know about, because of $$$$. Obviously, the karma part is just a theory of mine.

Written By: Arrowstone on 08/04/14 at 9:39 am

There are all those charts, but that songs which are #1 for weeks on alternative chart just are struggling on the Hot 100, is a bit weird if you ask me.

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:38 pm

So how are we going to still listen to songs?

Written By: Howard on 08/04/14 at 2:39 pm

I don't know if there are any, we will have to let music do it's thing.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/14 at 8:50 pm

;)

That would be a good idea. I think they should also pay attention to the comments on the songs and number of thumbs up vs. thumbs down. There are videos out there with many views but with more thumbs down than up.

Written By: Howard on 08/05/14 at 2:28 pm

when there's nothing to listen to anymore.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/05/14 at 2:44 pm

Really, the best thing we all can do right now (and I need to do this more myself) is support our local bands and musicians. Because if things are tough for the record industry right now then they're much tougher for musicians.  Go out, watch a few local bands, and if you find one you like, support them.

Written By: holicman on 08/05/14 at 7:05 pm

It already has,its called Auto Tune and Justin Beiber.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/05/14 at 7:08 pm

But do you think it will even get worse than this?

Written By: holicman on 08/05/14 at 7:21 pm

Once you are at rock bottom, they would need a Jackhammer to chisel through so unless someone is so keen to want to do this and become less popular well I guess it could be possible ?

Written By: Howard on 08/06/14 at 2:37 pm

it's not just Justin Bieber, there are others.

Written By: Howard on 08/06/14 at 2:38 pm

But do you think it will even get worse than this?

who knows if it will. ???

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/06/14 at 7:29 pm

Mainstream music hit borderline rock bottom in the mid-00's, imo.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/06/14 at 7:35 pm

Great post.

what pure electropop songs would you recommend?

Written By: Jquar on 08/07/14 at 12:49 am

Mainstream music hit borderline rock bottom in the mid-00's, imo.

Agreed. 2005/2006 to 2010/2011 was a depressingly bad period for mainstream music.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/07/14 at 4:46 pm

I think industry execs are horribly out of touch...and they probably figure "Well some teenage girls like it, ah it's good enough!"  ;D and hardly put any effort into it anymore sadly. When Adele, as well as some indie songs were crossing over in 2011-12 I had hopes it might be getting better, but that seems to have been shortlived.

Written By: apollonia1986 on 08/07/14 at 7:24 pm

Hasn't it hit rockbottom? It seems like it to me.
All the music my contemporaries listen to is about sex, money, greed and in some cases violence liek shooting and raping.
What happened to songs about love and being a better person and helping your fellow man. Music like that isn't made anymore.
And people wonder why statistically people are 40 percent less concerned with the needs of others than they were 30 years ago. (saw this on tumblr).
With people saying "get rich, get the big house, get paid, get bitches..." it's kind of hard to focus on the poor homeless person you're stepping over while on the way to the bank.
And that's sad. Music has no purpose other than noise now. The last new album I bought that was NOT MJ and by a current artist was in 2006, when Ne-yo first came out. I haven't bought anything new since. Haven't had a reason to.  >:(

Written By: J. Rob on 08/07/14 at 7:38 pm

Well, I'm 28.....and IMO music hit rock bottom around 2006/2007

I think music in general is better in the 2010s than it was when I was in my teens and early 20s in the 00s.....Hip Hop was absolutely atrocious in the mid 00s and it was the music that dominated Pop culture at the time. But there was a stretch during 2010/2011 when Kesha was making some of the worst songs I've ever heard

Written By: Howard on 08/08/14 at 6:50 am

I think industry execs are horribly out of touch...and they probably figure "Well some teenage girls like it, ah it's good enough!"  ;D and hardly put any effort into it anymore sadly. When Adele, as well as some indie songs were crossing over in 2011-12 I had hopes it might be getting better, but that seems to have been short lived.

and don't forget the tweeners too.

Written By: Howard on 08/08/14 at 6:54 am

What happened to songs about love and being a better person and helping your fellow man. Music like that isn't made anymore.

The thing is, times change. There was a era when music was sounding funky, beautiful and hot dance music, those were the 70's and 80's. It's unfortunate you don't hear that anymore.  :(

Written By: Visor765 on 08/09/14 at 10:42 pm

The thing is, times change. There was a era when music was sounding funky, beautiful and hot dance music, those were the 70's and 80's. It's unfortunate you don't hear that anymore.  :(

From your posts you don't seem to have a lot of nostalgia for 90s, and that was "your generation" (being born in 1974 and all).

Written By: Howard on 08/10/14 at 2:47 pm

From your posts you don't seem to have a lot of nostalgia for 90s, and that was "your generation" (being born in 1974 and all).

The 90's were ok, wasn't crazy about the nostalgia of the decade.

Written By: AL-B Mk. III on 08/10/14 at 5:58 pm

Bit of a long read, but it makes sense.

http://mic.com/articles/95260/the-music-industry-is-literally-brainwashing-you-to-like-bad-pop-songs-here-s-how

Written By: Howard on 08/11/14 at 2:29 pm

Bit of a long read, but it makes sense.

http://mic.com/articles/95260/the-music-industry-is-literally-brainwashing-you-to-like-bad-pop-songs-here-s-how

I agree, it sure does make a lot of sense.

Written By: tv on 09/14/14 at 9:37 pm

I think they did, especially during the 1999-2000 era. Although back then the difference was there was a lot more variety on the charts and some of the teen pop songs could also go as adult contemporary. Today you're too old for the music if you're over the age of 15.
As much as I hate to admit yeah most of the Backstreet Boys songs were A/C radio friendly and N'Sync's "This I Promise You" was a great ballad.

Written By: tv on 09/14/14 at 9:42 pm

Agreed. 2005/2006 to 2010/2011 was a depressingly bad period for mainstream music.
I don't remember the first half of 2005 being that bad musically but the second half was bad. The end of 2005 was bad because it started the era of "ringtone rap" like "DL4" and "Dem Franchise Boyz". 2006 was dull I remember. Haven't really followed music since maybe the first half of 2008.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/15/14 at 1:51 am

The 90's were ok, wasn't crazy about the nostalgia of the decade.

90's was musically varied. More radio stations for more kinds of music, and variety among them even. Not just the same exact style. Some stations did 80's/90's mixes of light rock, others were classic rock, and the oldies was actually the oldies with 60's and 70's music.

There were more artists that could be liked by a wider range of people. For example some of the girls when I was in 5th grade liked songs by artists like Meridith Brooks and Fiona Apple and similar. You know, female artists who might have played Lilith Fair at some point. That and female R&B groups like En Vogue and Wild Orchid were popular that time.

Boy bands were just starting to be played on the radio too, but it was more by 7th grade that girls were fangirling over them.

80's music was fun to listen to. In the 90's N-Trance remixed a dance song called Stayin' Alive that was originally disco. I heard a few remixed disco songs actually, but it was more when stations did live from a club.

Written By: Howard on 09/15/14 at 2:30 pm

If music one day hits rock bottom will television be next?

Written By: TallGrass on 09/18/14 at 11:30 pm

Music hit 'rock bottom' in the 80s, as far as I'm concerned. The 2000s weren't so great, either - but 2010s music is shaping up to be a pretty decent comeback so far.

Written By: Howard on 09/19/14 at 6:55 am

When people will start watching television.

Written By: Smiley on 09/19/14 at 7:57 pm

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxtIRArhVD4

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/19/14 at 8:41 pm

o_v9MY_FMcw

How did these conceited assholes ever win Britain's Got Talent.  :P

Written By: sonikuu on 09/19/14 at 8:47 pm

o_v9MY_FMcw

How did these conceited assholes ever win Britain's Got Talent.  :P

I honestly don't see why so many people hate One Direction.  Their music isn't terrible (there are much, much worse out there) and they're really not that different from New Kids On The Block or what have you.  Seems like male icons loved by teen girls, like Justin Bieber, One Direction, Backstreet Boys and NSync back in the day, etc. gather so much venomous hate.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/19/14 at 9:51 pm

If music one day hits rock bottom will television be next?

Actually Howard, television has had a renaissance or a rebirth. It hit rock bottom with Jerry Springer, and other stuff in the early to mid-00s I think!

Written By: Howard on 09/20/14 at 7:10 am

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nxtIRArhVD4

Wow, music has really hit rock bottom!  :o

Written By: tv on 09/21/14 at 7:13 pm

Actually Howard, television has had a renaissance or a rebirth. It hit rock bottom with Jerry Springer, and other stuff in the early to mid-00s I think!
Oh when Reality TV was huge on regular TV channels(non-cable channels) I think you are referring too in the 2000-mid 2005 period. I thought Jerry Springer was more of a 90's cultural icon than an 00's pop-culture icon anyway.

Written By: Bobby on 09/21/14 at 7:15 pm

Wow, music has really hit rock bottom!  :o

Was that an unintentional joke there, Howard?

Karma for you regardless.  ;D

Written By: tv on 09/21/14 at 7:37 pm

I honestly don't see why so many people hate One Direction.  Their music isn't terrible (there are much, much worse out there) and they're really not that different from New Kids On The Block or what have you. Seems like male icons loved by teen girls, like Justin Bieber, One Direction, Backstreet Boys and NSync back in the day, etc. gather so much venomous hate.
See we(the public) build teen idols popularity up when they first debut and than after a couple years(we the public) tear their reputation/popularity down. We basically build their popularity up as fast as we tear the popularity after a couple years on the music scene. There are exceptions of course like Michael Jackson, and The Beatles. Britney Spears is an exception  to this rule also dare I say it but she was never as popular as she was after 1999-2000. Her first 2 albums sold 14 and 11 million copies respectively. Of course there was music download filing services so she was never going to sell in the numbers she sold of her first 2 albums. Its kind of hard for any artist to top Britney's popularity in 1999-2000. The only artist I can think of to have that kind of popularity after Britney was Lady GaGa(2009-early 2010) and maybe 50 Cent(2003-mid 2005.) Maybe cases can be made for Eminem or Katy Perry too.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/21/14 at 8:55 pm

Oh when Reality TV was huge on regular TV channels(non-cable channels) I think you are referring too in the 2000-mid 2005 period. I thought Jerry Springer was more of a 90's cultural icon than an 00's pop-culture icon anyway.

Reality TV was much more in your face and obnoxious back then but at the same time, much easier to avoid. Now we have reality shows on practically every channel. Before, it was more confined.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/22/14 at 1:50 am

See we(the public) build teen idols popularity up when they first debut and than after a couple years(we the public) tear their reputation/popularity down. We basically build their popularity up as fast as we tear the popularity after a couple years on the music scene. There are exceptions of course like Michael Jackson, and The Beatles. Britney Spears is an exception  to this rule also dare I say it but she was never as popular as she was after 1999-2000. Her first 2 albums sold 14 and 11 million copies respectively. Of course there was music download filing services so she was never going to sell in the numbers she sold of her first 2 albums. Its kind of hard for any artist to top Britney's popularity in 1999-2000. The only artist I can think of to have that kind of popularity after Britney was Lady GaGa(2009-early 2010) and maybe 50 Cent(2003-mid 2005.) Maybe cases can be made for Eminem or Katy Perry too.

Lady Gaga was never as popular as Britney was. Lady Gaga hasn't sold as many albums as Britney, and she's now irrelevant. I used to like her back in 2009/2010, but I got sick of her persona. "To all my gay fans!" "I love my gay fans so much!" "I just love the gay community." What about your straight fans? Did you forget they exist? I remember once watching a video of her making a speech at the monster ball tour (stupid name and show by the way) that was devoted to her gay fans, and in the comments her straight fans were really offended and got completely upset. She refused to acknowledge us, and it was annoying, because she kept doing it. She was at her best during her "Fame" days and not her "Monster" days, that's when I liked her the most.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/22/14 at 5:13 am

Lady Gaga was never as popular as Britney was. Lady Gaga hasn't sold as many albums as Britney, and she's now irrelevant. I used to like her back in 2009/2010, but I got sick of her persona. "To all my gay fans!" "I love my gay fans so much!" "I just love the gay community." What about your straight fans? Did you forget they exist? I remember once watching a video of her making a speech at the monster ball tour (stupid name and show by the way) that was devoted to her gay fans, and in the comments her straight fans were really offended and got completely upset. She refused to acknowledge us, and it was annoying, because she kept doing it. She was at her best during her "Fame" days and not her "Monster" days, that's when I liked her the most.

Pretty obnoxious of her, and it sounds so fake too.

Written By: tv on 09/22/14 at 1:22 pm

She went overboard with catering to the LGBT community I get that. GaGa was never going to sell as many albums as Britney with or without the downloading era in/at play. Maybe I should have said near the popularity of Britney not that GaGa was ever at the popularity peak of Britney 1999-2000.

I did like GaGa too in 2009/2010 she sounded fresh after the rap era of snap and ringtone(mid 2005-mid 2008.) Her 2nd album it didn't have "freshness" of her debut in terms of radio singles. It was gonna be hard for her to match the success of her 1st album anyway on any terms though. I don't know if you could call GaGa's 2nd album a moderate sophomore jinx when compared to the 1st album. That's debatable.

Written By: Howard on 09/22/14 at 1:53 pm

Was that an unintentional joke there, Howard?

Karma for you regardless.  ;D

and this is why music videos doesn't interest me as much as it used to. ::)

Written By: Howard on 09/22/14 at 1:54 pm

Reality TV was much more in your face and obnoxious back then but at the same time, much easier to avoid. Now we have reality shows on practically every channel. Before, it was more confined.

and now it's gotten annoying. ::)

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/23/14 at 12:24 pm

I think we did a pretty good job of tearing down Michael Jackson after "Black or White." Britney Spears was also in a pretty deep slump in the mid to late 2000's with her emotional problems and such. South Park even made an episode parodying it (in 2008, I believe), treating her as some kind of sacrifice to malignant gods.

Written By: tv on 09/25/14 at 2:05 am

I think we did a pretty good job of tearing down Michael Jackson after "Black or White." Britney Spears was also in a pretty deep slump in the mid to late 2000's with her emotional problems and such. South Park even made an episode parodying it (in 2008, I believe), treating her as some kind of sacrifice to malignant gods.
No I was saying we build teen idols popularity up when they first debut on the music scene and than we tear then we tear their popularity down after a couple year. We basically build teen idols popularity up a fast as it we tear it down. Examples: New Kids On the Block and The Backstreet Boys faded after a few years in the music scene.

Michael Jackson and Britney Spears mental breakdowns were after several years of being in the music scene. Michael had been in the music business since he was a kid going back to his "Black & White" song. Britney had been in the music scene for 9 years before she had her breakdown.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/14 at 4:19 am

Michael Jackson became popular in 1969 with the Jackson Five's song 'I want you back'. Only guessing, but it could be the Jackson Five wasn't popular until 1970, because sometimes it takes weeks or months for popularity to build for any artist or band.

So from 1970 to 1993, his career was fine. Even though he was considered 'weird' or 'strange' after like 1986, at least he didn't have the reputation of possibly being a pedophile. So yes, people are right, his 'breakdown' didn't come until waaay later into his career.

Britney's breakdown began circa 2006, at least in my opinion. By 2006 it was a full fledged breakdown, even if she was showing signs from like 2003/2004. By 2006 she had been in the business for about seven years.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/14 at 4:21 am

Not trying to be contrary, but wasn't Jerry Springer considered 'trashy' or 'trash tv' even back in the late 90s??

Written By: bchris02 on 09/25/14 at 1:15 pm

I agree with this and I think that was her undoing.  I LOVED Gaga in 2009 during the Fame era and even enjoyed the Monster era.  The music was fun, catchy, fresh, and awesome to dance to.  Everybody was into it.  Then she starting over-pandering to her gay audience especially during the "Born This Way" era.  Today she is basically reduced to being a niche artist because despite the media attention, gays are only 3-5% of the population (I say this as somebody who totally supports LGBT equality).

Written By: Howard on 09/25/14 at 3:01 pm

Michael had been in the music business since he was a kid going back to his "Black & White" song.

Black Or White was in 1991.

Written By: Howard on 09/25/14 at 3:02 pm

Not trying to be contrary, but wasn't Jerry Springer considered 'trashy' or 'trash tv' even back in the late 90s??

His shows was always trashy.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/25/14 at 3:38 pm

His shows was always trashy.

It was fun for me to watch though.  :(

Written By: tv on 09/27/14 at 10:12 am

Yes Jerry Springer was trashy in the late 90's but what I was saying was his show was more popular in the 90's than the 00
's.

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 5:57 pm

Yes Jerry Springer was trashy in the late 90's but what I was saying was his show was more popular in the 90's than the 00
's.

Because it got higher ratings.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/28/14 at 2:23 am

Music definitely started to decline around 2008/09, I haven't listened to the radio or mainstream music since then but all my friends listen to music now and play it all the time, I literally cannot stand it!

I'm a teenage guy and most guys I know my age are crazy about the latest music... I guess there's a few okay songs but it'd be nice to hear something other than sex, swearing and drugs....

And that's why I stick to music pre-2006 ish before all this swag hip hop crap came out

Written By: sonikuu on 09/28/14 at 8:30 am

Music definitely started to decline around 2008/09, I haven't listened to the radio or mainstream music since then but all my friends listen to music now and play it all the time, I literally cannot stand it!

I'm a teenage guy and most guys I know my age are crazy about the latest music... I guess there's a few okay songs but it'd be nice to hear something other than sex, swearing and drugs....

And that's why I stick to music pre-2006 ish before all this swag hip hop crap came out

Not all mainstream songs are about sex, swearing, and drugs, in fact the majority of the top 40 doesn't even concern such things.  Just so you know, people were making those same complaints about mainstream music ten years ago, in 2004.

Written By: Howard on 09/28/14 at 2:43 pm

I'd rather listen to 80's soul and funk music.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/29/14 at 3:00 pm

Just listen to "or nah by the weeknd"  8-P my god... I can't stand it!!

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 10/01/14 at 8:12 am

4kpWkV7IBUw

Marinas Trench: Pop 101

What a remarkably sexist video.  :P

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/03/14 at 9:48 pm

I think music hit its nadir around 2007 and it's been slowly on the upswing since. I enjoy a lot of the music now including a lot of the mainstream stuff.

Check for new replies or respond here...