inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are things changing so fast that generations are getting shorter?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 08/04/14 at 3:35 am

It seems annoying that people want to make generations longer. Like they group people born in 1986 with people born in 2005.

http://instituteforbusinessgrowth.com/view/630/Why_You_Need_to_Consider_Generational_Differences_.cfm?nopop=1

Someone born in 2005 would have no memories of the 20th century at all or the pre 9/11 world. They wouldn't even remember the early internet days like dial up. Someone born in 2005 is even extremely distant to someone born in 1995, this is how fast things are changing.

Subject: Re: Are things changing so fast that generations are getting shorter?

Written By: bchris02 on 08/04/14 at 6:42 am

It seems annoying that people want to make generations longer. Like they group people born in 1986 with people born in 2005.

http://instituteforbusinessgrowth.com/view/630/Why_You_Need_to_Consider_Generational_Differences_.cfm?nopop=1

Someone born in 2005 would have no memories of the 20th century at all or the pre 9/11 world. They wouldn't even remember the early internet days like dial up. Someone born in 2005 is even extremely distant to someone born in 1995, this is how fast things are changing.

I think change is slowing down and advancements are becoming more evolutionary than revolutionary. I would group somebody born in 1995 with somebody born in 1986, but 2005 is a new generation.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 08/04/14 at 7:25 am

Those definitions are extremely superficial. You cannot really group people who are 20 years apart.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 08/04/14 at 10:22 am

I agree with all of you. A person born in 2005 is in a new generation. They are In Gen Z which starts from 2001 to now. Just like someone born in 1985 is in another generation except they are Y's not X. Wouldnt Gen X ended around 1979-81?

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 08/04/14 at 9:58 pm

I consider 1995-2001 YZ cusp. 2002 is totally Z, imo.

Written By: joeman on 08/05/14 at 9:34 am

Those definitions are extremely superficial. You cannot really group people who are 20 years apart.

Agreed.

I believe, other than the suppose Baby Boomer generation, there wasn't really a defined generation afterwards.  IMO, we are still at Generation X, if that even exists at all.

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 08/07/14 at 4:54 pm

Yeah, honestly 15-18-20 years is far too wide of a group to lump anyone together. Even as time passes and everyone gets older and some differences fade away, some are still obvious. I mean someone born in 1930 and one in 1945 even today, seem vastly different. I think generations should be closer to 10 or 12 years. Granted, that's only about half (or a little less) of a standard biological generation (i.e. between parents and their kids) but it makes more sense that way.

Also, I think in the past, it was pop culture and fashion that changed at a rapid pace, but in the 21st Century it's mostly technology. Like in the 80s and 90s, kids might've gotten laughed at for wearing clothes from 3 or 5 years earlier (now nobody really cares, plus vintage is cool anyway), whereas now you'll get made fun of for having a flipphone.

Speaking for me, I can only easily relate back to someone born in about 1968 (I like pop culture as far back as the Boomers or late Silents' time, but I mean like similar shared experiences), and up to about 1993. This formula would probably work for just about anyone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/16/14 at 1:11 pm

I blame single mothers having babies during they teen years.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/16/14 at 1:28 pm

I blame single mothers having babies during they teen years.

Yeah. The girl who cuts my hair had her first when she was 14. Now she has a 7-year-old and a 28-year-old.  :o

Written By: Howard on 08/16/14 at 5:55 pm

Yeah. The girl who cuts my hair had her first when she was 14. Now she has a 7-year-old and a 28-year-old.  :o

Wow how time flies.  :o

Written By: Howard on 08/16/14 at 5:57 pm

I think years are going by fast maybe that's why generations are getting shorter.

Check for new replies or respond here...