inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Canadian 'Cricket compost box' tackles food problem

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/14 at 3:21 am

A Canadian university student seems to have come up with a novel way to grow his own food and compost his rubbish at the same time - using crickets.

Jakub Dzamba's invention allows you to raise and eat your own batch of crickets every two months, CBC news reports. He keeps his crickets in a clear plastic box in his kitchen, feeding them scraps of rubbish that might otherwise go onto a compost heap. The crickets are harvested by putting them in the freezer, where Dzamba says they are "euthanised" and can be cooked like any other frozen food.

Dzamba is introducing his home cricket farms at Montreal's Eating Innovation Conference, which focuses on entomophagy - or eating insects. Eating insects wasn't easy at first, he says. "You kill bugs all the time, but when you raise them and have them on your desk for two months, I just didn't have the heart to put them in the fridge and kind of euthanise them." But he's now very enthusiastic about the idea. "I think it can make the world a better place," he says.

Conference organiser Arunda Handa agrees. "They're very nutritious, with more protein than meat, more omega-3 fats than fish." A recent UN report urged people to eat insects as a way to combat world hunger and improve their nutrition.

Subject: Re: Canadian 'Cricket compost box' tackles food problem

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/14 at 5:10 am

Why stop at crickets? You can get a fine harvest of maggots out of any trash can after just a few days, and they are not as crunchy as crickets.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/14 at 5:14 am

Why stop at crickets? You can get a fine harvest of maggots out of any trash can after just a few days, and they are not as crunchy as crickets.
The maggots become crunchy if you fry them.

Written By: Howard on 08/30/14 at 7:01 am

and dipped in chocolate.

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/14 at 7:42 am

I think I would prefer them sautéed...  :P

Written By: Howard on 08/30/14 at 8:04 am

sounds yummy.

Written By: Philip Eno on 08/30/14 at 8:09 am

...with white or red wine?

Written By: LyricBoy on 08/30/14 at 4:34 pm

...with white or red wine?

Would not make much difference, because if I'm eating sautéed maggot for dinner, I'm gonna be washing it down with copious amounts of Yukon Jack.  ;D

http://www.prosportstickers.com/product_images/h/yukon_jack_label_decal__24584.jpg

Written By: Howard on 08/30/14 at 6:01 pm

Would not make much difference, because if I'm eating sautéed maggot for dinner, I'm gonna be washing it down with copious amounts of Yukon Jack.  ;D

http://www.prosportstickers.com/product_images/h/yukon_jack_label_decal__24584.jpg

pour me a glass.

Check for new replies or respond here...