inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s Music: Your Opinion of It

Written By: Visor765 on 09/03/14 at 2:11 pm

I liked 2010, there were a lot of good songs that I liked, all well as a few that I despised (Hey Soul Sister, for instance). But music from 2011 onwards just annoys me. There are only a few songs here and there that I'll actually like, but most of the songs are either boring or tasteless. 2014 has been a better year for music than 2013, but there are still so many tacky songs on the radio I don't like. We're stuck in the EDM trend.

What do you think of music from 2008 to present? To me it all sounds the same.

Subject: Re: 2010s Music: Your Opinion of It

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/03/14 at 4:58 pm

I liked 2009 with the Black Eyed Peas. Even Gaga was ok back then. I don't like all EDM, alas it's so big here; 2011 was ok because of Adele; 2012 was ok with Gotye and fun. 2013 I bought Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire's new albums which were fine. And  the pop was doable. Though now indie rock is bland to my taste. There is too much pop made for screaming girls. Hip hop is ridiculous today; and why is there so much country today in America? It annoys me. 2014 lacks something.
I miss some pop rock/punk and I am waiting for a 90s altrock revival. I  want a raw earthy sound back.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/05/14 at 10:23 am

I liked 2009 with the Black Eyed Peas. Even Gaga was ok back then. I don't like all EDM, alas it's so big here; 2011 was ok because of Adele; 2012 was ok with Gotye and fun. 2013 I bought Arctic Monkeys and Arcade Fire's new albums which were fine. And  the pop was doable. Though now indie rock is bland to my taste. There is too much pop made for screaming girls. Hip hop is ridiculous today; and why is there so much country today in America? It annoys me. 2014 lacks something.
I miss some pop rock/punk and I am waiting for a 90s altrock revival. I  want a raw earthy sound back.

I want a 90s rock music revival too, but I hope it isn't grunge. Real grunge is too low-fi and post-grunge lasted too long for a proper revival. I hope it's something along the lines of Alanis Morissette and Spacehog and Sister Hazel and stuff like that.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/14 at 12:42 pm

Quite frankly, to me music has targeted ten year old girls since 1999, and it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon!

Written By: Visor765 on 09/05/14 at 4:19 pm

Quite frankly, to me music has targeted ten year old girls since 1999, and it doesn't seem to be ending any time soon!

You probably listen to the wrong music. What radio station do you listen to, Radio Disney?

Written By: 80sfan on 09/05/14 at 6:07 pm

You probably listen to the wrong music. What radio station do you listen to, Radio Disney?

;D

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/06/14 at 10:12 pm

Very bland, boring, and disneyfied without any substance. It's like today's music is like the electronic version of High School Musical.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/07/14 at 1:12 am

I personally don't mind 2010s music.  My life in the 2010s has been significantly better than it was in the 00s, so I'm more attached to 2010s music and more memories attached to it.  Ten years from now, I'll probably be listening to early 2010s music instead of mid-00s music when I feel nostalgic. 

That said, I do think that 2014 has been a definite step down from 2013 in music quality.  Also, while I like mainstream top 40 and hip-hop better in the 2010s, I have been dismayed by the total lack of rock music in the mainstream.  That is one thing that the 00s at least had.  That said, I do NOT want a grunge revival.  Post-grunge lasted way too long as it is.  Also, I would like something new.  Part of the reason for rock's declining popularity has been a lack of new ideas.  Hip-hop keeps coming up with new ideas and sounds distinctly different from how it did five or ten years ago.  The same goes for pop music as well.  Rock should be doing the same.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/07/14 at 11:49 am

I personally don't mind 2010s music.  My life in the 2010s has been significantly better than it was in the 00s, so I'm more attached to 2010s music and more memories attached to it.  Ten years from now, I'll probably be listening to early 2010s music instead of mid-00s music when I feel nostalgic. 

That said, I do think that 2014 has been a definite step down from 2013 in music quality.  Also, while I like mainstream top 40 and hip-hop better in the 2010s, I have been dismayed by the total lack of rock music in the mainstream.  That is one thing that the 00s at least had.  That said, I do NOT want a grunge revival.  Post-grunge lasted way too long as it is.  Also, I would like something new. Part of the reason for rock's declining popularity has been a lack of new ideas.  Hip-hop keeps coming up with new ideas and sounds distinctly different from how it did five or ten years ago.  The same goes for pop music as well.  Rock should be doing the same.
This is very true. If Rock had new ideas, then it would be back into mainstream like the other genres.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/07/14 at 6:27 pm

Sux.

Except for the stuff that Ke$ha has put out... it's awesome.  8)

Written By: bchris02 on 09/07/14 at 8:40 pm

I liked the late '00s and early '10s music better than late 2012-present.  It seems like earlier electropop was a bit edgier and more fun to dance to.  There's still some good stuff coming out though.  2014 has been ever so slightly better than 2013 musically.  The one thing unique about the '10s is rock has all but disappeared from Top 40.

Written By: J. Rob on 09/08/14 at 7:00 pm

The 2010s feel like a transition period to me....artists are actually trying to make good music again, but are just falling kinda flat. I think music is moving in the right direction but just needs to get a little more creative and bring some passion and soul back into the mainstream

Written By: Jquar on 09/09/14 at 7:41 pm

Top 40 stuff is generally bland and soulless at the moment, but it's slightly better than most of what we were getting from 2005 to 2010.

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/14 at 1:03 am

Top 40 stuff is generally bland and soulless at the moment, but it's slightly better than most of what we were getting from 2005 to 2010.

I think the mid and late 00s was when mainstream music 'bottomed out'.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/10/14 at 9:14 am

I think the mid and late 00s was when mainstream music 'bottomed out'.

Ehhh...that depends on your taste.  Personally some of my favorite music was coming out during that era, especially 2007-09.  I think music is in the process of bottoming out right now.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/10/14 at 9:23 pm

This is how I would rate every year from 2010 to present.

2010: 8/10
Best Song: Love the Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna) - Eminem
Worst Song: Hey Soul Sister - Train
Most Annoying Song: OMG (feat. will.i.am.) - Usher

2011: 6.5/10
Best Song: Someone Like You - Adele
Worst Song: Party Rock Anthem (feat. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock) - LMFAO
Most Annoying Song: Moves Like Jagger (feat. Christina Aguilera) - Maroon 5

2012: 5/10
Best Song: Lights - Ellie Goulding
Worst Song: Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra) - Gotye
Most Annoying Song: Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen

2013: 4.5/10
Best Song: Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
Worst Song: Blurred Lines (feat. Pharrell Williams and T.I.) - Robin Thicke
Most Annoying Song: Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko) - Rihanna

2014 (so far...): 7/10
Best Song: Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea) - Ariana Grande
Worst Song: Wiggle (feat. Snoop Dogg) - Jason Derülo
Most Annoying Song: All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/14 at 10:47 pm

This is how I would rate every year from 2010 to present.

2010: 8/10
Best Song: Love the Way You Lie (feat. Rihanna) - Eminem
Worst Song: Hey Soul Sister - Train
Most Annoying Song: OMG (feat. will.i.am.) - Usher

2011: 6.5/10
Best Song: Someone Like You - Adele
Worst Song: Party Rock Anthem (feat. Lauren Bennett and GoonRock) - LMFAO
Most Annoying Song: Moves Like Jagger (feat. Christina Aguilera) - Maroon 5

2012: 5/10
Best Song: Lights - Ellie Goulding
Worst Song: Somebody That I Used to Know (feat. Kimbra) - Gotye
Most Annoying Song: Call Me Maybe - Carly Rae Jepsen

2013: 4.5/10
Best Song: Radioactive - Imagine Dragons
Worst Song: Blurred Lines (feat. Pharrell Williams and T.I.) - Robin Thicke
Most Annoying Song: Stay (feat. Mikky Ekko) - Rihanna

2014 (so far...): 7/10
Best Song: Problem (feat. Iggy Azalea) - Ariana Grande
Worst Song: Wiggle (feat. Snoop Dogg) - Jason Derülo
Most Annoying Song: All About That Bass - Meghan Trainor
How is Soul Sister and Somebody I used to Know the worst songs and Call me Maybe and Stay the annoying ones?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/11/14 at 1:04 am

It wasn't great but it wasn't exactly terrible either.  8-P

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/14 at 2:17 am

So bland and mediocre? ???

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/11/14 at 2:29 am

So bland and mediocre? ???

Yes.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/11/14 at 9:29 pm

What wasn't?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 09/11/14 at 11:58 pm

What wasn't?

The decade of the 2010s so far.

Written By: tv on 09/14/14 at 8:58 pm

I don't know I might get some grief from 1970's music fans(particularly early to mid 70's music fans) but I will say it anyway. The 2010's music just seems like a re-run of bad 70's A/C music in term of its blandness. I actually did like 2013 disco revival with the modern twist to it which lasted 15 minutes. Weird I know I would like that. I'm curious to see what what the second half of this decade brings us music wise. Maybe the 2020's will backlash the whole mid 2007+ era of music the way the 80's back lashed the 70's and the 90's back lashed the 80's.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/29/14 at 2:59 pm

There's a few okay songs out, 2010 was probably the best year for music so far in the 10's in my opinion.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/05/14 at 9:58 pm

I will now say I believe '10s music is far too one-dimensional, fast-paced, and too happy.  I mean, I can only get into the songs when I am going to party because its all party and dance music.  When I am depressed there are very few recent songs to turn to.  There are also very few slow songs out and the ones there are are pretty much R&B oriented.  I wish we would see a return to a more diverse Top 40.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 7:16 am

2010s artists I like: Com Truise, Neon Trees, Kimbra, B.O.B., Cher Lloyd, Cheryl Cole, Bruno Mars, Carly Rae Jepsen, Chromeo, Capital Cities, The Weeknd.

Written By: bigdsketch on 10/11/14 at 2:10 pm

I liked the late '00s and early '10s music better than late 2012-present.  It seems like earlier electropop was a bit edgier and more fun to dance to. 

I can agree with that. Even though a lot of music was going to that electro pop sound, it still had more flavor, was more unique, it didn't feel bland. Even when dubstep was starting to become a thing it was quite unique. Then in 2012 it took one form and almost literally everybody and their mama had a dubstep drop in their song (Men In Black 3, anyone?). After that the whole edm scene started to all sound the same.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/14 at 6:26 pm

I can agree with that. Even though a lot of music was going to that electro pop sound, it still had more flavor, was more unique, it didn't feel bland. Even when dubstep was starting to become a thing it was quite unique. Then in 2012 it took one form and almost literally everybody and their mama had a dubstep drop in their song (Men In Black 3, anyone?). After that the whole edm scene started to all sound the same.

Dubstep pretty much died in 2013 though.  I really liked it compared to what is out there now. Now EVERYTHING is either a boy band like 1D or 5SOS, or a female-oriented pop artist such as Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding, Iggy Izalea, etc, etc.  There is virtually nothing in the least bit masculine in Top 40 right now.

Written By: tv on 10/11/14 at 6:46 pm

Dubstep pretty much died in 2013 though.  I really liked it compared to what is out there now. Now EVERYTHING is either a boy band like 1D or 5SOS, or a female-oriented pop artist such as Katy Perry, Ellie Goulding, Iggy Izalea, etc, etc.  There is virtually nothing in the least bit masculine in Top 40 right now.
Just to play devils advocate though: We could say in 1994 music is so negative or has violent lyrics with Nine Inch Nails and 2Pac whatever happened to the 80's? Or 2005: oh there is so much rap what else is there? People always complain about whats current.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/11/14 at 11:55 pm

Just to play devils advocate though: We could say in 1994 music is so negative or has violent lyrics with Nine Inch Nails and 2Pac whatever happened to the 80's? Or 2005: oh there is so much rap what else is there? People always complain about whats current.

Hell people even thought jazz music was raunchy, and to be fair some of it actually was.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/12/14 at 3:05 pm

The '90s was a very diverse decade in terms of genre.  It's difficult to say violent rock or rap dominated because there was quite a bit more out there.  The '00s was hip-hop heavy at times but I don't remember hip-hop ever completely dominating pop to the point there wasn't anything else.

The last time we really saw a time like today in which one sound completely dominated was the 1980s.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/14/14 at 12:51 pm

The '90s was a very diverse decade in terms of genre.  It's difficult to say violent rock or rap dominated because there was quite a bit more out there.  The '00s was hip-hop heavy at times but I don't remember hip-hop ever completely dominating pop to the point there wasn't anything else.

The last time we really saw a time like today in which one sound completely dominated was the 1980s.

I dunno, around 2004-05 it really did seem like a song that wasn't hip hop on the radio was a novelty.  ;D Though then again Green Day was really popular in that time frame so I see what you're saying. During the 80s the gated drum/square wave thing cut across more or less every genre.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/16/14 at 7:21 pm

I dunno, around 2004-05 it really did seem like a song that wasn't hip hop on the radio was a novelty.  ;D Though then again Green Day was really popular in that time frame so I see what you're saying. During the 80s the gated drum/square wave thing cut across more or less every genre.

Green Day, Nickelback, Daughtry, Muse, John Mayer, Kelly Clarkson, Pink, among others.  The mid-'00s had plenty besides hip-hop.  Though I never got into it, most people I knew were metal fans during that era.  I would say the era was heavier urban than it was anything else but it was still a diverse decade.  Very different from the '10s, which as I've said is the first time since the 1980s that all of Top 40 has been dominated by a similar sound.

Written By: tv on 11/29/14 at 10:30 pm

True the 90's was a diverse decade in terms of music genres.

As for one sound dominating in the 2010's as as it did in the 1980's well people love their 80's music.

Check for new replies or respond here...