inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Indie music too synthy/melodic to totally crossover to the pop charts?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 8:14 pm

Lots of 2009+ indie singers and bands are decently popular and well known, but even when they do cross over, it's usually just a one-off hit (i.e. Somebody I Used To Know, Fireflies, Little Talks, Pumped Up Kicks) and doesn't actually end up changing the course of popular music. They often end up never having another big hit again, and kinda revert to hipster status. Chromeo is my favorite, they're so much like a modern Hall & Oates... they've actually had a few moderate hits but never a massive one.

This really disappoints me, because the 2010s actually has some pretty darn good music, it just ends up being (mostly) crap on the pop charts or that young people play on their phones or at parties. Like I said, even if many songs are successful, none of those bands come even close to the level that Katy Perry or 1D or garbage like "turn down for what" are.

Do you think perhaps one reason it just won't cross over en masse is because it's (like 80s music) very midtempo, synthy and melodic pop music...which just contrasts too much with the rhythmic, ravey, hip-hop oriented 2010s pop?

Subject: Re: Is Indie music too synthy/melodic to totally crossover to the pop charts?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 8:24 pm

I think it's that the music industry is totally out of touch. They don't realize that hardly anyone likes the music on the top 40 charts. Right now, what we have are more like top 10-15 charts. I think Indie would have a much better chance if not for Clear Channel. However, I think maybe in 2017 there might be a new music scene on the horizon, something that will knock the current music off the charts.

Subject: Re: Is Indie music too synthy/melodic to totally crossover to the pop charts?

Written By: BayAreaNostalgist1981 on 09/09/14 at 9:19 pm

I think it's that the music industry is totally out of touch. They don't realize that hardly anyone likes the music on the top 40 charts. Right now, what we have are more like top 10-15 charts. I think Indie would have a much better chance if not for Clear Channel. However, I think maybe in 2017 there might be a new music scene on the horizon, something that will knock the current music off the charts.

Yeah, they probably think "ah it's selling, f*ck it good enough!" and don't put any effort into it or take chances on other kinds of music like they used to. They all blame downloading is killing the industry, and even if that might be a teeny bit true, it's mostly because of how much bad mainstream music is out there.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/09/14 at 9:29 pm

Lots of 2009+ indie singers and bands are decently popular and well known, but even when they do cross over, it's usually just a one-off hit (i.e. Somebody I Used To Know, Fireflies, Little Talks, Pumped Up Kicks) and doesn't actually end up changing the course of popular music. They often end up never having another big hit again, and kinda revert to hipster status. Chromeo is my favorite, they're so much like a modern Hall & Oates... they've actually had a few moderate hits but never a massive one.

This really disappoints me, because the 2010s actually has some pretty darn good music, it just ends up being (mostly) crap on the pop charts or that young people play on their phones or at parties. Like I said, even if many songs are successful, none of those bands come even close to the level that Katy Perry or 1D or garbage like "turn down for what" are.

Do you think perhaps one reason it just won't cross over en masse is because it's (like 80s music) very midtempo, synthy and melodic pop music...which just contrasts too much with the rhythmic, ravey, hip-hop oriented 2010s pop?

You both are right. If indie music was mainstream, I bet everyone would enjoy it is completely different than the current mainstream music. There's Gotye, Monsters and Men, Fun, Adele, Janelle Monae, Carly Rae Jepsen (She's also a one-hit wonder), Imagine Dragons, Jessica Sanchez (American Idol season 11 runner-up, I dont hear songs often on the radio), Emblem3, Lorde (her songs are different than most mainstream songs), and the artists who did the song Stereo Love (They were also one-hit wonders)

Written By: 80sfan on 09/09/14 at 11:05 pm

The music industry is an idiot currently.  :P

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/09/14 at 11:35 pm

Yeah, they probably think "ah it's selling, f*ck it good enough!" and don't put any effort into it or take chances on other kinds of music like they used to. They all blame downloading is killing the industry, and even if that might be a teeny bit true, it's mostly because of how much bad mainstream music is out there.

The question is, how low will the sales have to fall until they turn it around? It's been falling for years and years but they don't seem to get the message and blame it all on the consumer.

Written By: Jquar on 09/12/14 at 3:30 pm

Not to sound sexist, but the pop charts are extremely slanted towards girls right now it seems. Namely young females. I mean, very little of Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea, Meghan Trainor,  Ariana Grande, Katy Perry etc. would appeal to the vast majority of men or older women and stuff like "Rude" is just fluff. 

Written By: tv on 09/14/14 at 9:07 pm

Not to sound sexist, but the pop charts are extremely slanted towards girls right now it seems. Namely young females. I mean, very little of Taylor Swift, Nicki Minaj, Iggy Azalea, Meghan Trainor,  Ariana Grande, Katy Perry etc. would appeal to the vast majority of men or older women and stuff like "Rude" is just fluff.
Yeah but the pop charts were slanted towards men 10 years ago. Remember 2002-2008 when stuff like T.I., Ludacris, 50 Cent, Kanye West, Lil Wayne, and Ja Rule were on top of the charts. I know there was female artists at that time that were on top of the charts like Kelly Clarkson, Avril Lavigne, Ashanti, and The Pussycat Dolls. I just remember rap being everywhere though from 2003-mid 2008.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 2:04 pm

What's weird is I almost never hear Top 40 music in stores and restaurants.

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 2:14 pm

What's weird is I almost never hear Top 40 music in stores and restaurants.

I hear mostly oldies now.

Check for new replies or respond here...