inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: This decade is almost half over!

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/14 at 1:02 am

Oh. My. God!

I remember 2010 starting like it was yesterday.  :o :o :o  :o

Subject: Re: This decade is almost half over!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/14 at 1:10 am

Oh. My. God!

Same here. Times goes quick

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/14 at 1:12 am

Same here. Times goes quick

I hope that music has a renaissance in 2020 because any longer than that I think I'm going to go crazy!  :D :D :D

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/10/14 at 1:27 am

I hope that music has a renaissance in 2020 because any longer than that I think I'm going to go crazy!  :D :D :D
it will, but just know, not all todays music is terrible. there is some thats actually good out there. you have to dig really deep to find the good music.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/10/14 at 7:37 am

I remember 2000 (!) starting like it was yesterday. Now that's shocking!  :o

Written By: 80sfan on 09/10/14 at 1:19 pm

:D :D

Written By: Howard on 09/10/14 at 2:31 pm

Oh. My. God!

I know 5 years go by pretty fast. :o

Written By: Howard on 09/10/14 at 2:32 pm

That's almost 15 years ago. :o

Written By: 80sfan on 09/11/14 at 2:17 am

I know 5 years go by pretty fast. :o

Too fast!  :\'( :\'(

Written By: Howard on 09/11/14 at 1:03 pm

Too fast!  :\'( :\'(

and before you know it, 2015 will be here.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/11/14 at 3:04 pm

We will be as close to 2050 as to 1980.

Written By: Slim95 on 09/16/14 at 1:17 pm

I predict we'll see the peak of what this decade really offers next year in 2015.

Written By: nostalgicguy on 09/16/14 at 10:46 pm

I know! so crazy! Fall of 2015 will mark 10 years since I started high school. :o I feel like 2015 will be a big year. Lots of changes will occur in music and other areas.

Written By: Howard on 09/17/14 at 3:02 pm

I know! so crazy! Fall of 2015 will mark 10 years since I started high school. :o I feel like 2015 will be a big year. Lots of changes will occur in music and other areas.

5 years from 2010 went by really quickly. :o

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 8:38 am

2010 actually seems like a while ago to me. We're less than a year from the future in Back to the Future!  :o

Written By: XYkid on 10/06/14 at 11:30 am

It's weird how no one in 2009/2010 was making a big deal about it being a new decade, like in 1999 or 1989. I wonder why that is.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 11:42 am

It's weird how no one in 2009/2010 was making a big deal about it being a new decade, like in 1999 or 1989. I wonder why that is.

I actually don't know exactly how it was in 1989. I have watched some (German) news recordings on Youtube from January 1st, 1990 or December 31st, 1989, and nobody really mentioned that the 80s ended or the 90s began. "A happy New Year!" was everything... I don't think it was that much of a big deal.

About 2009/10:

I think most people did not even think about a new decade. Plenty of individuals still consider 2000-2014 to be one era. Since most of the people remember New Years 2000 and since 2000 is such a good number to start, it is possible that they tend to start counting years from there instead from 2010 when they think of the current era.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 1:15 pm

I actually don't know exactly how it was in 1989. I have watched some (German) news recordings on Youtube from January 1st, 1990 or December 31st, 1989, and nobody really mentioned that the 80s ended or the 90s began. "A happy New Year!" was everything... I don't think it was that much of a big deal.

About 2009/10:

I think most people did not even think about a new decade. Plenty of individuals still consider 2000-2014 to be one era. Since most of the people remember New Years 2000 and since 2000 is such a good number to start, it is possible that they tend to start counting years from there instead from 2010 when they think of the current era.

In Germany maybe people saw the fall of the Wall or perhaps the reunification a year later as a much bigger deal than the mere turning of a date?

Written By: Howard on 10/06/14 at 1:33 pm

2010 actually seems like a while ago to me. We're less than a year from the future in Back to the Future!  :o

So that means were going to get space cars?

Written By: XYkid on 10/06/14 at 3:25 pm

About 2009/10:

Maybe it was different in the US then. Most people I know who were around at that time told me about people so excited for the 90s to start. To them, 1990 was the cutting edge of time and the future.

Written By: Emman on 10/06/14 at 4:07 pm

About 2009/10:

In 2010 and 2011 I noticed people lumping those years with the '00s(usually in magazines, ect.) but since about 2012 there has been more of a tendency to distinguish the 2010s from the 2000s.

Like Rolling Stone had songs of summer articles for each decade from the 1950s-2010s, only they put "so far" for the 2010s since the decade isn't over yet. Rolling Stone also had an article on the EDM scene saying, "Electronic dance music is already the defining youth culture of the 2010s, but it's slowly taking over all aspects of modern music."

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 4:40 pm

In 2010 and 2011 I noticed people lumping those years with the '00s(usually in magazines, ect.) but since about 2012 there has been more of a tendency to distinguish the 2010s from the 2000s.

Like Rolling Stone had songs of summer articles for each decade from the 1950s-2010s, only they put "so far" for the 2010s since the decade isn't over yet. Rolling Stone also had an article on the EDM scene saying, "Electronic dance music is already the defining youth culture of the 2010s, but it's slowly taking over all aspects of modern music."

Hasn't EDM actually dominated pop music in most of the world since the end of the '80s or so? Or even since the beginning of the 80s if you count synth as kinda the same thing. Maybe American pop is just "catching up" so to speak.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 5:00 pm

Maybe it was different in the US then. Most people I know who were around at that time told me about people so excited for the 90s to start.

I can't really tell - I was too young during this time. It might have been a big deal aswell, but it's hard to find a lot of material about it. It's actually funny that the Fall of the Berlin Wall happened just shortly before the 90s started. Of course everybody was excited about the fact that a new era started back then - especially for Germans. But probably not because of the number changing from 8 to 9.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 5:02 pm

In Germany maybe people saw the fall of the Wall or perhaps the reunification a year later as a much bigger deal than the mere turning of a date?

Yes, probably!

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/06/14 at 7:16 pm

Inland, I know you were young but do you recall what pre-unified Germany was like? Were/are you from the West or the East? I'm not sure if I ever saw you mention it.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/07/14 at 2:58 am

Inland, I know you were young but do you recall what pre-unified Germany was like? Were/are you from the West or the East? I'm not sure if I ever saw you mention it.

I am from the West. Otherwise, my early childhood would have been way more old school. You have to keep in mind that the East was esthetically 10-15 years behind. I also lived pretty far away from the border.

Unfortunately, I don't remember much about it. I have memories from before October 3rd, 1990 or November 9th, 1989, but I was obviously not aware of the political circumstances. Not too much changed for me personally, so it's hard for me to tell. I have been on East German territory though before the Fall of the Wall in 1989 when our family drove to West Berlin. Unfortunately, I don't have any recollection from this trip.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/07/14 at 9:01 pm

Yep, the "Minecraft, Nicki Minajed, walking dead, Game of Thrones, Brony filled, Crazy Eyed, Bieber in hot water, planked, selfied, ous" 2010s that "broke bad" are just about over. Good riddance to them.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/07/14 at 9:50 pm

EDM needs to go. 90's dance music was at least sung. This is halfhearted singing with an almost robotic sounding voice to go with the music. Bring back the days of good music and vocal talent.

Yep, the "Minecraft, Nicki Minajed, walking dead, Game of Thrones, Brony filled, Crazy Eyed, Bieber in hot water, planked, selfied, ous" 2010s that "broke bad" are just about over. Good riddance to them.

Minecraft isn't bad, I've watched people play it and can see why it would get addicting. Never watched Game of Thrones, but I'm not huge on fantasy programs. I don't understand Bronies either. Bieber needs to be deported ASAP. Nothing wrong with selfies, just a time and place for it. Those stupid "challenges" need to go. It's not cool, it just makes you look stupid on YouTube. I do like some of the movies I've seen and graphics are making improvement. Same with games.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 7:03 am

now it's time to move on.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 7:05 am

EDM needs to go. 90's dance music was at least sung. This is halfhearted singing with an almost robotic sounding voice to go with the music. Bring back the days of good music and vocal talent.

and bring back songs that bring out emotion, How many songs do I have to hear about "jiggling that AZZ". ::)

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/08/14 at 9:14 am

It's gone by way too fast! I remember during previous decades it would take forever for even a year to be over, lol.

Written By: Howard on 10/08/14 at 1:02 pm

It's gone by way too fast! I remember during previous decades it would take forever for even a year to be over, lol.

I know, I can't believe 2014 is almost over. Almost 2 more months to go. :o

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/08/14 at 5:26 pm

and bring back songs that bring out emotion, How many songs do I have to hear about "jiggling that AZZ". ::)

Alot of songs in the 90's and 2000's were about that too.

Written By: XYkid on 10/08/14 at 6:17 pm

Same here, in fact I think it was probably worse on that end 10 years ago than now.

Written By: J. Rob on 10/09/14 at 12:07 am

About 2009/10:

More like 1997-2014 to me  :P

Written By: Howard on 10/09/14 at 3:08 pm

there's hardly any originality these days.

Check for new replies or respond here...