inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: I say Generation Z pop culture will begin in the late 10s

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/14/14 at 11:02 pm

I say this because the oldest members will be in high school by then. By 2020, it will be fully in control. Right now, it is the Y/Z culture that is in place. I also say the Core Z culture is the 2020s just like the 1940s with Silents, the 1960s with the Boomers, the 1980s with X and the 2000s with Millennials/Y. I have also noticed that the oldest Z's are starting to define pop culture by appearing on Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and other teen/pre-teen programs. They are even the listeners of todays music such as EDM, Pop, and Indie Rock. In conclusion, the Y/Z culture will continue for now and will end at least by 2017/18.

Subject: Re: I say Generation Z pop culture will begin in the late 10s

Written By: Visor765 on 09/15/14 at 12:33 am

I don't agree. In 2019 and 2020 I won't be too old for pop culture, and I was born in November of '95. I was born so late in the year that if you were to "round up" my age, I was basically born in 1996, because I will only be 25 for less than a month in 2020. I really won't be too old for pop culture until 2021.

Someone born in 1996 or 1997 wouldn't be too old for pop culture then either. People born in 1999 and 2000 are Y/Z cuspers, and they won't be too old either. However, I can definitely say someone born in 1994 will be too old once 2020 comes around.

We can't really predict this stuff, only time will tell.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/15/14 at 1:37 am

I say this because the oldest members will be in high school by then. By 2020, it will be fully in control. Right now, it is the Y/Z culture that is in place. I also say the Core Z culture is the 2020s just like the 1940s with Silents, the 1960s with the Boomers, the 1980s with X and the 2000s with Millennials/Y. I have also noticed that the oldest Z's are starting to define pop culture by appearing on Disney Channel, Nickelodeon and other teen/pre-teen programs. They are even the listeners of todays music such as EDM, Pop, and Indie Rock. In conclusion, the Y/Z culture will continue for now and will end at least by 2017/18.

It could be that the music and pop culture gets more mature so even the people born in the 80s are into it. If the pop culture of the late 2010s or early 2020s is good enough, I will claim it, much like the people born in the 1900s were into things from the 30s and 40s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/15/14 at 2:02 am

I don't agree. In 2019 and 2020 I won't be too old for pop culture, and I was born in November of '95. I was born so late in the year that if you were to "round up" my age, I was basically born in 1996, because I will only be 25 for less than a month in 2020. I really won't be too old for pop culture until 2021.

Someone born in 1996 or 1997 wouldn't be too old for pop culture then either. People born in 1999 and 2000 are Y/Z cuspers, and they won't be too old either. However, I can definitely say someone born in 1994 will be too old once 2020 comes around.

25 isn't the magical cut-off age when you're not supposed to like pop culture anymore and you're now "old."

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/15/14 at 2:21 am

Visor's posts are making me feel old. Very very old... ;)

Written By: Howard on 09/15/14 at 2:26 pm

25 isn't the magical cut-off age when you're not supposed to like pop culture anymore and you're now "old."

Then what is the age?

Written By: bchris02 on 09/15/14 at 3:05 pm

It could be that the music and pop culture gets more mature so even the people born in the 80s are into it. If the pop culture of the late 2010s or early 2020s is good enough, I will claim it, much like the people born in the 1900s were into things from the 30s and 40s.

Pop culture today is FAR more youth oriented than it was in the early 20th century.  It would be nice to see real adult contemporary come back but I wouldn't count on it.

As for the original question, I would say we are already in Generation Z culture.  This is the era of One Direction, Miley Cyrus, 5SOS, The Wanted, etc.  None of those artists are very popular with the 80s-born.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/15/14 at 3:46 pm

Then what is the age?

There is no exact age. You can also be into current music and technology for example if you are over 50.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/15/14 at 4:06 pm

Katana is right. 25 is not the cut off where you are considered too old for pop culture. You can like another generation's pop culture no matter what age you are. You just won't be part of the targeted audience anymore. People born in 1996 and 1997 will be 23/24 in 2020, so they will be part of the target audience until 2022/23 and then after that, they can still like the next generation's culture or dislike it. You can even like Z's culture when it's in full force, but keep in mind that you still won't be in the target audience as you will be over 25 for most of the next decade.

Very true, it could change to a mature level in the next few years and if it does, people born in the early 90s and before can enjoy it even though it still won't be aimed at them.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/15/14 at 4:09 pm

Dont forget the age of the people making the music. They seem late Y or Y/Z to me (miley, 1D, Ariana Grande etc) but also lot of older people in the charts.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/15/14 at 4:10 pm

I also think that this culture is already Z pop culture. Maybe Y/Z cusp, but definitely not pure Y. That would have been the 2000s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/15/14 at 4:30 pm

As for the original question, I would say we are already in Generation Z culture.  This is the era of One Direction, Miley Cyrus, 5SOS, The Wanted, etc.  None of those artists are very popular with the 80s-born.
Actually, that depends. You might be surprised that there could be Miley and 1D fans who are older than 25.

Dont forget the age of the people making the music. They seem late Y or Y/Z to me (miley, 1D, Ariana Grande etc) but also lot of older people in the charts.
Thats super true. Right now, the age most of the artists are between 16 and 35 years old.

I also think that this culture is already Z pop culture. Maybe Y/Z cusp, but definitely not pure Y. That would have been the 2000s.
No, you're right. It is the Y/Z cusp pop culture. Right now, the target audience is people born from 1989/90 (the oldest) to 2003/04 (the youngest). 

Written By: Visor765 on 09/15/14 at 4:45 pm

Anyone born from 1990–1993 is younger generation Y. Anyone born from 1994–2000 is Y/Z cusp. I feel like today's music is aimed at early '90s babies; I can tell because they really connect to this culture. Core millennial culture was, how it seemed to me, from post 9/11 2001–2010. One it becomes a new decade doesn't mean it immediately becomes a new generation. Young millennial culture seems to me as 2011–present.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/15/14 at 5:13 pm

Anyone born from 1990–1993 is younger generation Y. Anyone born from 1994–2000 is Y/Z cusp. I feel like today's music is aimed at early '90s babies; I can tell because they really connect to this culture. Core millennial culture was, how it seemed to me, from post 9/11 2001–2010. One it becomes a new decade doesn't mean it immediately becomes a new generation. Young millennial culture seems to me as 2011–present.
What genres of todays music have you seen early 90s babies connect to? and You're right that a new generation doesnt begin when a new decade starts as it take time to develop. You are even correct with early 90s babies being younger Y as we were part of the core millennial culture from middle/jr. high, high School and college through out the 2000s. 

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/15/14 at 5:58 pm

Ew not for me. I consider the 00s as more connectable and I feel today's music is aimed more towards teen girls, so the ones born in the late 90s

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/15/14 at 11:26 pm

A person born in '89 or '90 would have turned 21 or 20 in 2010 so they were the very end of Y that year, definately not too old as it's typical college age.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/16/14 at 8:21 am

A person born in '89 or '90 would have turned 21 or 20 in 2010 so they were the very end of Y that year, definately not too old as it's typical college age.

Yeah, as an '89er, I still consider 2010, 2011, and even 2012 as Millennial/Gen Y culture.  In fact, 2014 is the first year where I'm starting to feel some disconnect from pop culture.  Looking at the current top ten, I love stuff like Rude, Stay With Me, Break Free, Maps, and such.  Taylor Swift's new song is decent, not great, not bad.  But there have been some songs like All About That Bass, Anaconda, anything by Iggy Azalea, and such that are just the most insufferable stuff I've ever heard. 

That said, I'm currently living abroad and have been doing so for about a year now.  So perhaps the disconnect can also be traced to that as well.  It could also just be a not-so-great music year and things will go back to normal next year.  I listened to Top 40 radio regularly when I was in the US in 2013 and enjoyed it.  Maybe 2014 is just a temporary dip.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/16/14 at 1:55 pm

In the early 2000s you still had Celine Dion in the charts.  There will always be some Top 40 targeted towards a slightly older audience.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/14 at 2:35 pm

There is no exact age. You can also be into current music and technology for example if you are over 50.

I'm 40 and I'm ok with some current music artists.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/14 at 2:36 pm

Ew not for me. I consider the 00s as more connectable and I feel today's music is aimed more towards teen girls, so the ones born in the late 90s

and also teen boys as well.

Written By: joeman on 09/17/14 at 5:15 pm

Yeah, as an '89er, I still consider 2010, 2011, and even 2012 as Millennial/Gen Y culture.  In fact, 2014 is the first year where I'm starting to feel some disconnect from pop culture.  Looking at the current top ten, I love stuff like Rude, Stay With Me, Break Free, Maps, and such.  Taylor Swift's new song is decent, not great, not bad.  But there have been some songs like All About That Bass, Anaconda, anything by Iggy Azalea, and such that are just the most insufferable stuff I've ever heard. 

That said, I'm currently living abroad and have been doing so for about a year now.  So perhaps the disconnect can also be traced to that as well.  It could also just be a not-so-great music year and things will go back to normal next year.  I listened to Top 40 radio regularly when I was in the US in 2013 and enjoyed it.  Maybe 2014 is just a temporary dip.

Maybe because you turn 25 this year that you are feeling distant and not at all having to do with the direction that modern music has been going.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/17/14 at 7:06 pm

Maybe because you turn 25 this year that you are feeling distant and not at all having to do with the direction that modern music has been going.

I think it's more because the music is unlistenable and getting more immature as well as boring. People born in the 1900s listened to music from the 30s through 50s (especially first half of the 50s) and they were often 25+ then.

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/17/14 at 7:10 pm

My disconnect from it was more circumstances than anything. When I started a different job I just wasn't in the mood for much of anything anymore. I was 23.

I think it's more because the music is unlistenable and getting more immature as well as boring. People born in the 1900s listened to music from the 30s through 50s (especially first half of the 50s) and they were often 25+ then.

Also true, and it's not because of my age I say so. It wouldn't appeal to my tastes even if I was still in high school now. It's often repetetive and dumbed down, music that takes less and less talent to produce.

Written By: Arrowstone on 09/18/14 at 6:59 am

Though I still like some of the music nowadays; 2012 and 2013 were nice. Also all clothing fits better than 10 years ago.

Written By: Visor765 on 09/24/14 at 1:29 pm

I think you're just saying that because you'll be out of the target audience by 2018, so therefore you'll think it's a new generation. People tend to put their age as the cutoff year. It'll probably be more 2021/2022-ish.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/24/14 at 3:29 pm

I was born in 1986 and I like today's music more than the music that was actually targeted at me in the mid 00s. What I like about today's EDM is that it clearly defined the first half of the 00s. It is the first music since the 80s that can be easily associated with a decade.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/24/14 at 7:16 pm

I think you're just saying that because you'll be out of the target audience by 2018, so therefore you'll think it's a new generation. People tend to put their age as the cutoff year. It'll probably be more 2021/2022-ish.
I will be out of the audience by that year. however, the reason I said that it will begin around there is because the oldest Zs will be in high school/college and the first few will be 18 by then.

In 2017/18, the last of millennials (those born between 1998 and 2000) will be finished with high school while the people born from 2001 to 2004 will be attending high school around that time.
When the 2018-19 school year comes, high school will be filled with people born from late 2000 to most of 2004. To me, that's when the Millennial pop culture will gradually change into the Z culture as the Y/Z cusp will be between the ages of 18 and 22 and in 2020, they will be between the ages of 20 and 24 giving Z full control of the pop culture. If you think about it, 2020 is the year Z will be fully mainstream. Here's why

Target Audience for 2020 pop culture: People born from 1995/96 to 2009/10 (more Z than Y)

High Schoolers in 2020: 2002 though 2006 babies

Gen Z celebrities will be more popular

A big shift of music will take place (maybe a little earlier)

First set of Z will be attending college

Right now, the Z culture is here, but it's only 10% as the millennial culture is still mainstream.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/27/14 at 12:08 am

I feel too old for today's music. It's too immature and babyish. I hope in 2017 it becomes more mature. 

Written By: Howard on 09/27/14 at 6:52 am

I feel too old for today's music. It's too immature and babyish. I hope in 2017 it becomes more mature.

I feel the same way, I enjoy oldies music.

Written By: winteriscoming on 09/29/14 at 12:16 am

Pop culture today is FAR more youth oriented than it was in the early 20th century.  It would be nice to see real adult contemporary come back but I wouldn't count on it.

I would argue the people born in the 90s are the heart of the Millennials, though. ;) Millennial is maybe 1982 to 1999 Gen Z is more like 2000+.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/29/14 at 2:14 am

I would argue the people born in the 90s are the heart of the Millennials, though. ;) Millennial is maybe 1982 to 1999 Gen Z is more like 2000+.

I think that Millennials should at least be able to remember the actual new Millennium. People born in 1999 start to have reasonable memories when the millennial era was over (later than 2002).

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/04/14 at 6:13 am

I would argue the people born in the 90s are the heart of the Millennials, though.

I would also say that people born in the mid 80s (those who were at least 14 within the 1998-2002 era) are the heart of the Millennials because we started to become teenagers around the actual Millennium. This time was very influential for me - much more then my childhood in the mid 90s. People born in the 90s were still children then.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/04/14 at 9:48 am

I would also say that people born in the mid 80s (those who were at least 14 within the 1998-2002 era) are the heart of the Millennials because we started to become teenagers around the actual Millennium. This time was very influential for me - much more then my childhood in the mid 90s. People born in the 90s were still children then.

Yeah I'd say people born from like 1985 through maybe 1996 or so would be the heart of the Millennial generation.

Written By: Arrowstone on 10/04/14 at 9:59 am

I think mid(-late) 80s borns are the heart of Millennials too. My teenhood in the mid-00s influenced me more than the turn of the millennium.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/04/14 at 6:31 pm

Yeah I'd say people born from like 1985 through maybe 1996 or so would be the heart of the Millennial generation.

1996ers were only 4 in 2000 and obviously don't remember the turn of the Millennium. I think 1984-88 is the heart of the Millennial generation, and in a broader sense maybe 1982-90.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/04/14 at 9:06 pm

1996ers were only 4 in 2000 and obviously don't remember the turn of the Millennium. I think 1984-88 is the heart of the Millennial generation, and in a broader sense maybe 1982-90.

So you'd say when people talk about Millennials they are mostly talking about people around 30, not people in college?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/04/14 at 10:07 pm

I think mid(-late) 80s borns are the heart of Millennials too. My teenhood in the mid-00s influenced me more than the turn of the millennium.
Same here, but also keep in mind that the turn of the millennium could have influenced the early 90s borns too as they were preteens around that time period.

I think 1984-88 is the heart of the Millennial generation, and in a broader sense maybe 1982-90.
Where does that leave for those who were born from 1991 through 2000? They are millennials too.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 2:59 am

So you'd say when people talk about Millennials they are mostly talking about people around 30, not people in college?

I was only talking about the "heart" of Millennials. We all know that Generation Y (1982- whatever) are Millennials, even though I would say that you should have been born at least in 1996/97 to really be part of the Millennials. I don't see the point why today's 14-16-year Olds should be Millennials. The have absolutely no idea about how life in the Millennial era was. They probably don't even know the term.

Written By: joeman on 10/05/14 at 10:14 am

I was only talking about the "heart" of Millennials. We all know that Generation Y (1982- whatever) are Millennials, even though I would say that you should have been born at least in 1996/97 to really be part of the Millennials. I don't see the point why today's 14-16-year Olds should be Millennials. The have absolutely no idea about how life in the Millennial era was. They probably don't even know the term.

Well according to Strauss and Howe, who created the Generation theory, memories start around 3 years old.  If this is true, then this puts people around 1998 as the last of the pre-911 generation.

If you ask me, I think generations, at in the sense of political and social outlook, should be a lot longer.

Like the WW2 Generation was probably before 1942/1943 and the post 9/11 generation is 1998/1999 to current.

I feel there is little difference those between these generations, but that is just me.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 10:52 am

Well according to Strauss and Howe, who created the Generation theory, memories start around 3 years old. 

True, I also have memories from being 3/4, but memories are not memories IMO. I didn't care at all about pop culture in the late 80s and very early 90s.

Written By: joeman on 10/05/14 at 12:50 pm

True, I also have memories from being 3/4, but memories are not memories IMO. I didn't care at all about pop culture in the late 80s and very early 90s.

I concur, but using their system, then ppl born around 1998 would be the last to have a 'feel', sort to speak, of the pre-911 world.

IMO, to fully understand 9/11 you would have be around 10 or 11 at least.  An 8 year old isn't going to understand 9/11. 

This would make the Z cusp being around born around 1991/1992 to 2001, though I feel this cusp would still be a big stretch.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/14 at 6:27 pm

I don't see the point why today's 14-16-year Olds should be Millennials. The have absolutely no idea about how life in the Millennial era was. They probably don't even know the term.
The reasons why those born from 1998 to 2000 are considered millennials is because they are part the of the mainstream audience for pop culture and the fact that they will be voting in the 2016 (1998 and earlier) and 2020 (All millennials along with the first few Zs) presidential elections which will be the most important elections for the millennials. Another reason is that they are in the workforce looking for part-time jobs for some money and experience during the summer. Moreover, they are gonna be attending college during this decade as they will graduate high school between 2016 and 2018. Keep in mind that they could remember the Iraq War which ended in 2011 making them 11-13 years old at the time and could remember Osama. I bet they can remember the 2008 and 2012 elections of Obama considering they were 8-10 in 2008 and 12-14 in 2012. More likely, they could remember Bush 2 being president.

I concur, but using their system, then ppl born around 1998 would be the last to have a 'feel', sort to speak, of the pre-911 world.

IMO, to fully understand 9/11 you would have be around 10 or 11 at least.  An 8 year old isn't going to understand 9/11. 

This would make the Z cusp being around born around 1991/1992 to 2001, though I feel this cusp would still be a big stretch.
9/11 was a defining moment for millennials; however, there are more. Dont forget that the Iraq War is another defining moment for millennials. The 2008 and 2012 presidential elections are defining moments too as Obama was the first non-white person to be elected president. The capture of Osama Bin Laden is one other moment. Bush 2 and Obama being presidents are more moments. Executing Saddam is another one. Social Media is even one more moment as we have been through AOL, Myspace, Facebook, YouTube, Twitter, Tumblr, and Instagram altogether. One last moment that defines millennials is the rise of technology. We have transitioned from an analog era to a digital one. More defining moments that will come for the millennials is the 2016 and 2020 presidential elections, minorities of different cultural groups being completely accepted by everyone, and that we can use technology to being everyone closer than ever before.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 6:50 pm

The reasons why those born from 1998 to 2000 are considered millennials is because they are part the of the mainstream audience for pop culture and the fact that they will be voting in the 2016 (1998 and earlier) and 2020 (All millennials along with the first few Zs) presidential elections which will be the most important elections for the millennials.

What is so special about the 2016 and 2020 elections? That's 20 years into the new Millennium. What have the Millennials to do with it? I would say the most important elections for Millennials were those very close to 2000: 2000 itself (1982), 2004 (1986) and 2008 (1990).

Please remember that the 2010s and 2020s are not part of the millennial era anymore.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/14 at 7:07 pm

What is so special about the 2016 and 2020 elections? That's 20 years into the new Millennium. What have the Millennials to do with it? I would say the most important elections for Millennials were those very close to 2000: 2000 itself (1982), 2004 (1986) and 2008 (1990).

Please remember that the 2010s and 2020s are not part of the millennial era anymore.

They are, but so is the 2012, 2016, and 2020 elections. What's special about them is that all millennials will be voting in both of them and will determine who will be the next president after Obama leaves. They will also be the last elections for millennials as when the 2024 one comes, more of generation z will be voting by then. Millennials have 5 important presidential elections which they are the 2004, 2008, 2012, 2016 and 2020 ones as we voted in those elections more and that we were part of the young demographic. In 2000, millennials did vote in that election, but it was barely 5% as most were under 18 at the time therefore not even able to vote to determine the president of that election.

I do understand the 2010s and 2020s are nowhere near the millennial era.  However, the 2010s are part of the millennial generation just like the 2000s while the 2020s is part of the Z generation. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 7:16 pm

I get your point now, but I don't think that's the reason why people are called Millennials. I am still curious about what this term is actually supposed to mean exactly.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/05/14 at 8:14 pm

I get your point now, but I don't think that's the reason why people are called Millennials. I am still curious about what this term is actually supposed to mean exactly.

It's always been my understanding that we are called that because we were first to come of age (turn 18) during the new millennium (starting with 1982 borns). It was said that the media paid special attention to the Class of 2000 and this helped shape their experiences or something. No way to tell how accurate of a statement that is.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/14 at 8:43 pm

Mark is right. That's really the only reason why we were called the millennials is because of the high school class of 2000 had special attention as they were the first to graduate with a 2 in the 4th digit instead of a one. Actually about that, they were followed from the time they were in kindergarten to their senior year of high school. Which means, they had special attention for 13 years from 1987 to 2000. After that, they weren't spoke about as much until they had their 10 year high school reunion in 2010. I think it also helped by giving us a new term instead of just having one name for us (which was generation y) and it would separate us from generation x. The class of 2000 were even the first millennials to vote in presidential elections and were the only ones to vote in the 2000 election as the rest of us under 18. Another reason why we may be called millennials is that during the 1999-2000 year, we were all in school at the time and we were celebrating the new millennium as it was approaching.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/05/14 at 8:58 pm

Another reason why we may be called millennials is that during the 1999-2000 year, we were all in school at the time and we were celebrating the new millennium as it was approaching.

This has always been my personal definition for Millennials...being in school (K-12) during the '99-'00 school year. Meanwhile people people who were in college for that school year could be considered in the cusp between X and Y. Kids who alive and aware at the time but not yet in school are in the cusp between Y and Z.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/14 at 10:28 pm

This has always been my personal definition for Millennials...being in school (K-12) during the '99-'00 school year. Meanwhile people people who were in college for that school year could be considered in the cusp between X and Y. Kids who alive and aware at the time but not yet in school are in the cusp between Y and Z.
That means that for those who were in K-12 during the 1999-2000 school year would be born from late 1981 to most of 1994. Those who were in college that year were born from late 1977 to most of 1981. Last, those who were not in school during that year were born from late 1996 to most of 2000. Then those who were in preschool and pre-kindergarten were born from late 1994 to most of 1996.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 10/05/14 at 10:38 pm

That means that for those who were in K-12 during the 1999-2000 school year would be born from late 1981 to most of 1994. Those who were in college that year were born from late 1977 to most of 1981. Last, those who were not in school during that year were born from late 1996 to most of 2000. Then those who were in preschool and pre-kindergarten were born from late 1994 to most of 1996.

Seems like a reasonable time span right?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/05/14 at 10:49 pm

Seems like a reasonable time span right?
Yep. It's very accurate. This whole group was in school or living at home and aware during that year.  From this point, i see 1999 as the first millennial pop culture year as most of us were in school and that we were enjoying it.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/05/14 at 11:13 pm

I think this is a pretty good definition.  Similarly if you were twentysomething at any point during the 1990s, you are Gen-X. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 12:44 am

Yes, that's true and I would also say that this is a good definition for Millennials. This also implies that late 90s borns and 2000 borns do not belong to them. They are too young.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 12:51 am

Mark is right. That's really the only reason why we were called the millennials is because of the high school class of 2000 had special attention as they were the first to graduate with a 2 in the 4th digit

So, I believe you have changed your mind?  ;)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/14 at 4:19 am

So, I believe you have changed your mind?  ;)
I did. That's the main reason; however,  there are more reasons why we're called millennials which i already listed.

Yes, that's true and I would also say that this is a good definition for Millennials. This also implies that late 90s borns and 2000 borns do not belong to them. They are too young.
From what Mark said, they were not in school during the 1999-2000 school year, so they are the Y/Z cusp.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 4:26 am

I'm not sure I agree, my 20 year old sister says she doesn't strongly connect to this culture and I'm sure a lot of 30-35 year olds do. I think it's more of an individual thing personally.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 4:28 am

however,  there are more reasons why we're called millennials which i already listed.

Yes, and I agree with those. My only concerns were the 2016 and especially 2020 elections you have mentioned which I do not consider relevent for millennial culture anymore.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/14 at 8:28 am

Yes, and I agree with those. My only concerns were the 2016 and especially 2020 elections you have mentioned which I do not consider relevent for millennial culture anymore.
is there a reason? I have a feeling from those 2 elections we might make history again.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 9:37 am

is there a reason? I have a feeling from those 2 elections we might make history again.

Yes, like I have already mentioned. I doubt that those elections are very special for older members of Generation Y (since those are not their first elections) and secondly, 2016 and 2020 are way too late for the millennial era.

Millennial culture includes pop culture and politics around the new Millennium, roughly 1998-2002 or 1995-2005 or maybe to an extent 1990-2010.

In addition to a lot of European events around 2000, I primarily think of George W. Bush, 9/11, the early days of the War on Terror and the rise of the internet when I think of the Millennial era.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/14 at 10:14 am

Yes, like I have already mentioned. I doubt that those elections are very special for older members of Generation Y (since those are not their first elections) and secondly, 2016 and 2020 are way too late for the millennial era.

Millennial culture includes pop culture and politics around the new Millennium, roughly 1998-2002 or 1995-2005 or maybe to an extent 1990-2010.

In addition to a lot of European events around 2000, I primarily think of George W. Bush, 9/11, the early days of the War on Terror and the rise of the internet when I think of the Millennial era.
oh. I see now. You're right those elections are not much important for older millennials as they voted a few times, but they are important for the younger and last millennials as they have either voted once or haven't voted at all. You're also correct that full millennial culture was mostly during the 2000s. That's why that the 2010s are the Y/Z culture because even though the millennial culture is still there, the Z culture is rising right now. I even agree that those events are part of the millennial era. However, keep in mind that there more defining events for us millennials.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 10:31 am

However, keep in mind that there more defining events for us millennials.

I think I should get rid of my idea that Millennials are only defined by Millennial Culture or the Millennial Era. "Millennials" is probably simply a term to define those people who grew up around the new Millennium.

Written By: nostalgicguy on 10/06/14 at 11:27 am

This is the best definition. I don't think millennials include those born after 1996. They are more Z than Y.  I think the  high school class of 2012 is the last of the true Millennials.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/14 at 12:24 pm

I think I should get rid of my idea that Millennials are only defined by Millennial Culture or the Millennial Era. "Millennials" is probably simply a term to define those people who grew up around the new Millennium.
Probably so. Like I said, there are lot of events that defines us such as 9/11, Iraq War, Bush 2 and Obama being the presidents of America, capture of Osama, acceptance of minority rights (LGBT, disabled, and race), social media and the rise of technology. Also, don't forget that we have another term that we are called which is the Y generation. Just one last thing, it was decided that we should be preferred as the millennials instead of Y as we were all in school during or around the new millennium. Once again, the idea Mark gave is a great definition of us. If you really think about it, all of us born from 1977 to 2000 were in school during that era. Remember that those born from 1977 to 1980/81 are X/Y. Those born from 1981/82 to 1995/96 are millennials/Y. Those born from 1996/97 to 2000/01 are Y/Z.

Here's a chart for those who were in school during the 1999-2000 school year:

College Seniors: 1977/78

College Juniors: 1978/79

College Sophomores: 1979/80

College Freshmen: 1980/81

High School Seniors/12th Grade: 1981/82

High School Juniors/11th Grade: 1982/83

High School Sophomores/10th Grade: 1983/84

High School Freshmen/9th Grade: 1984/85

8th Grade: 1985/86

7th Grade: 1986/87

6th Grade: 1987/88

5th Grade: 1988/89

4th Grade: 1989/90

3rd Grade: 1990/91

2nd Grade: 1991/92

1st Grade: 1992/93

Kindergarten: 1993/94

Pre-K: 1994/95

Preschool: 1995/96

Because those who born from 1997-2000 were not in school during that year, they are the Y/Z cusp.

This is the best definition. I don't think millennials include those born after 1996. They are more Z than Y.  I think the  high school class of 2012 is the last of the true Millennials.
Actually, the high school class of 2014 are the last true millennials because even though they didn't attend high school in the 2000s, they were in school during the 1999-2000 school year and that they werent in high school during the core 2010s (Their high school career was during the early 10s). However, I do agree with you that those born after 1996 are not millennials as they are actually the Y/Z cusp.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 1:02 pm

I agree with most of what you wrote 8)

I have only one concern: To be a "Millennial" you have to have reached at least kid age (age 3) by January 1, 2001. The youngest Millennial was therefore born on December 31st, 1997. 1998-2000 do not belong to them anymore.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/14 at 2:56 pm

I agree with most of what you wrote 8)

I have only one concern: To be a "Millennial" you have to have reached at least kid age (age 3) by January 1, 2001. The youngest Millennial was therefore born on December 31st, 1997. 1998-2000 do not belong to them anymore.
that's why they're Y/Z as they were 3 after 2000 and that they also began school after the new millennium.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 3:01 pm

If you can't remember when Limp Bizkit were popular, chances are you're Gen Z.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/14 at 3:08 pm

I think this is a pretty good definition. Similarly if you were twentysomething at any point during the 1990s, you are Gen-X.
i think we can also apply this to the millennials as we (were all/will all be) in our 20s at some point in the 2010s.

Written By: Emman on 10/06/14 at 4:20 pm

I do think Gen Z/Homelanders will start to become a major youth demographic in the late 2010s, it will be interesting what kind of music they will like(or .

Like in the late 1950s the boomers became a major youth market with early rock n roll and the folk revival.

In the late 1970s Gen X(then called Baby Busters) became a major youth market with the advent of punk/new wave and early hip-hop.

In the late 1990s Millennials became a youth market for teen pop and nu metal.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 4:43 pm

I have a friend born in 1997 and i'm not sure if she counts as Y or Z. We share a lot of stuff but damn, she wasn't even 13 until 2010!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/06/14 at 4:47 pm

I do think Gen Z/Homelanders will start to become a major youth demographic in the late 2010s, it will be interesting what kind of music they will like(or .

Like in the late 1950s the boomers became a major youth market with early rock n roll and the folk revival.

In the late 1970s Gen X(then called Baby Busters) became a major youth market with the advent of punk/new wave and early hip-hop.

In the late 1990s Millennials became a youth market for teen pop and nu metal.
This is so accurate. It will be interesting. Right now, we do know that they like indie rock and EDM, but they will both disappear by the end of this decade.

I have a friend born in 1997 and i'm not sure if she counts as Y or Z. We share a lot of stuff but damn, she wasn't even 13 until 2010!
She is both because she has mostly been in high school during the early section of this decade. She will be able to vote in the 2016 election and that she began school in 2000 (That's if she went to preschool first). She even turned 3 and began her childhood in 2000 as well.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/06/14 at 4:55 pm

If you can't remember when Limp Bizkit were popular, chances are you're Gen Z.

I have to admit - I must be Z then in this case  :(
I did not know this band until today and couldn't even name one single song.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/06/14 at 8:56 pm

I have to admit - I must be Z then in this case  :(
I did not know this band until today and couldn't even name one single song.

You get a pass since you're aren't American lol. And I am sort of jealous of you for not remembering them.  ;D

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/07/14 at 3:34 pm

You get a pass since you're aren't American lol. And I am sort of jealous of you for not remembering them.  ;D

Oh, for some reason I thought you were European aswell. Must have been my fault ;)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/07/14 at 3:42 pm

i think we can also apply this to the millennials as we (were all/will all be) in our 20s at some point in the 2010s.

Core-Millennials were/are between 21 (minimum age at the beginning) and 35 in the 2010s.
Millennials overall were/are between 12 (minimum age at the beginning) and 37 in the 2010s.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 10/07/14 at 8:02 pm

Core-Millennials were/are between 21 (minimum age at the beginning) and 35 in the 2010s.
Millennials overall were/are between 12 (minimum age at the beginning) and 37 in the 2010s.
This would indicate that those born from 1984 to 1989 are the core millennials while those born from 1982 to 1998 are the entire millennial group.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/09/18 at 4:49 pm

Well, now that we are actually in the late 2010's now, what do you think?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/09/18 at 4:58 pm

Well, now that we are actually in the late 2010's now, what do you think?
Hell yeah, we are. Although since it has been 3+ years that anyone posted in this thread, I think it began earlier than I had previously thought.

Written By: Rainbowz on 01/09/18 at 4:59 pm

Hell yeah, we are. Although since it has been 3+ years that anyone posted in this thread, I think it began earlier than I had previously thought.

Yeah, I agree. I think we are definitely in Gen Z culture

Written By: ofkx on 01/09/18 at 7:14 pm

We're def in Generation Z culture.

Check for new replies or respond here...