inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What Generation Comes After Z?

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/15/14 at 6:11 pm

Anybody? ???

Subject: Re: What Generation Comes After Z?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/15/14 at 7:23 pm

Anybody? ???
I have seen the term Generation Alpha being the next generation after Z.

Written By: sonikuu on 09/16/14 at 8:12 am

A generation with an original name for once.  I hate the term Generation Y.  Millennials is such a better term, and it's one that seems to have surpassed Generation Y in popularity at long last, if things like Time Magazine and Wikipedia are any indication.

Written By: Howard on 09/16/14 at 2:38 pm

I have seen the term Generation Alpha being the next generation after Z.

Does it always have to be a letter of the alphabet?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/16/14 at 7:36 pm

A generation with an original name for once.  I hate the term Generation Y.  Millennials is such a better term, and it's one that seems to have surpassed Generation Y in popularity at long last, if things like Time Magazine and Wikipedia are any indication.

Bad news, some people call Generation Alpha by Generation A.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/16/14 at 8:14 pm

Does it always have to be a letter of the alphabet?
No. However, they need to come up with more useful generation names. For Instance, there is The Lost Generation, The Greatest Generation, Silents, Baby Boomers, 13th Generation/Latch-Key/Slacker Generation AKA Gen X, Millennials AKA Gen Y and Digital Natives/Homeland AKA Gen Z. There needs to be a better term for the next generation after Z.

Written By: joeman on 09/17/14 at 5:13 pm

Generations don't exist...that is a late 20th century construct.

Written By: LyricBoy on 09/17/14 at 7:36 pm

Since my grandfather was 100 years old when I was born, I belong to the same generation as the parents of my friends.  ;D

Written By: KatanaChick on 09/17/14 at 7:39 pm

No. However, they need to come up with more useful generation names. For Instance, there is The Lost Generation, The Greatest Generation, Silents, Baby Boomers, 13th Generation/Latch-Key/Slacker Generation AKA Gen X, Millennials AKA Gen Y and Digital Natives/Homeland AKA Gen Z. There needs to be a better term for the next generation after Z.

Homeland Generation sounds good for Z, but I didn't know they were defining Z by anything other than being digital natives. Alpha would be stupid for whoever comes after them because it implies they're the first.  ::) Wait to have a name when the oldest of them grow up and you have something to go on.

Written By: Foo Bar on 09/17/14 at 10:14 pm

Anybody? ???

We don't know yet.  As of late 2014, Homeland Generation redirects to Generation Z.

The page reads:

Generation Z is one name used for the cohort of people born after the Millennial Generation. There is no agreement on the exact dates of the generation with some sources starting it at the mid or late 1990s or from the mid 2000s to the present day.

USA Today sponsored an online contest for readers to choose the name of the next generation after the Millennials. In the article, Bruce Horovitz wrote that some might call the term "Generation Z" rather "off-putting" and a name that is "still in-the-running" for the next generation. The article proposed some alternate names including: iGeneration, Gen Tech, Gen Wii, Net Gen, Digital Natives, Gen Next, Post Gen.

In 2013, Jeanine Poggi reported in Ad Age that Nickelodeon channel is looking to serve a new breed of kids born after 2005 whom it dubs "post-millennials".

"Scholars Generation" was proposed by a writer at A Time to Succeed coalition who "works to ensure that all children in the nation’s high-poverty communities have better learning time in school".

Authors William Strauss and Neil Howe wrote several popular books on the subject of generations. They're widely credited with coining the term Millennials. Howe has said "No one knows who will name the next generation after the Millennials". His company sponsored a website contest in 2005, and people voted overwhelmingly for the Homeland Generation. That was not long after the September 11th terrorist attacks, and one fallout of the disaster was that Americans may have felt more safe staying at home. Strauss and Howe wrote that the Homeland Generation are people born from the year 2005 to the present day.

Plurals is a name coined by marketing firm Frank N. Magid Associates.

Pew Research Center sponsored a contest to name the next generation after the Millennials. Names proposed include: the TwoKays or 2K's (born after 2000), the Conflict Generation (the generation that grew up during the time of the Iraq War and War in Afghanistan), Generation i (or iGeners and iGens), @generation, the Swipe Generation, the Tweennials, and Screeners.
Traits and trends

Many members of this generation are highly connected, having had lifelong use of communication and media technology like the World Wide Web, instant messaging, text messaging, MP3 players, and mobile phones, earning them the nickname "digital natives".

According to marketing firm Frank Magid Associates, the name "Plurals" reflects that they are the most diverse of any generation in the U.S.; Magid estimates that 55% are Caucasian, 24% are Hispanic, 14% are African-American, 4% are Asian, and 4% are mixed race or other. A Magid whitepaper stated that Plurals exhibit positive feelings about the increasing ethnic diversity in the U.S., and they are more likely than older generations to have social circles that include people from different ethnic groups, races and religions. According to Magid, Plurals are "the least likely to believe that there is such a thing as the American Dream," while Boomers and their Millennial children are "more likely to believe it".

See also:
Post-90s generation, a generation in China which has features of both the Western Millennial Generation and Generation Z

(I'm not shamelessly cutting and pasting from Wikipedia because I think they're necessarily correct, I just know that this page is going to change a lot over the next 10 years, and I know that future readers who stumble across this page, myself included, will be too lazy to diff the wikipedia of 2020 with that of 2014.)

If it's not going to be "Generation Z", the current contenders as of 2014 appear to be "Homeland Generation" (named after "Homeland Security", the dividing line between pre-9/11 and post-9/11 America), the "Conflict Generation" (named after the first generation of Americans who spent their entire lives never having known their country not to be in a shooting war with troops overseas), or the "Plurals" (if the intergenerational cultural shift turns out not to have been the 9/11 security/surveillance state, it will be the rejection of ethnicity/class/sexual orientation/pot use as relevant factors in terms of who their friends, marriage partners, and political representatives are.)

Written By: Howard on 09/18/14 at 2:33 pm

Since my grandfather was 100 years old when I was born, I belong to the same generation as the parents of my friends.  ;D

What generation is that?

Check for new replies or respond here...