inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Hip-Hop's Popularity this decade:

Written By: tv on 09/21/14 at 10:06 pm

Why isn't rap as mainstream as it was in the 90's and the 00's? Is it just taking a siesta or nap temporarily because it was so popular in the 2000's and even in the 90's with the Gangsta Rap era?

Subject: Re: Hip-Hop's Popularity this decade:

Written By: mxcrashxm on 09/21/14 at 10:22 pm

I say it's because of EDM's popularity. Right now, most songs of today have a EDM influence in some genres and lots of people are enjoying it by going to raves, parties, and clubs. If you listen to the songs, it has EDM vibes in it.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/23/14 at 4:16 pm

Why isn't rap as mainstream as it was in the 90's and the 00's? Is it just taking a siesta or nap temporarily because it was so popular in the 2000's and even in the 90's with the Gangsta Rap era?

Rap isn't completely gone, its just taking a back seat to EDM and teen pop.  I don't see '00s style ringtone rap ever coming back into dominance.  I believe the genre has run its course, at least as we have known it.  There is still plenty of good stuff out there you just wont hear it on Top 40 radio.

Written By: J. Rob on 09/24/14 at 11:32 pm

Rap isn't completely gone, its just taking a back seat to EDM and teen pop.  I don't see '00s style ringtone rap ever coming back into dominance.  I believe the genre has run its course, at least as we have known it.  There is still plenty of good stuff out there you just wont hear it on Top 40 radio.

Exactly. I think it's a good thing because the genre is back to focusing on its core audience instead of trying to crossover

BTW,  '00s ringtone rap, in a way, was to Hip Hop what '80s hair metal was to Rock

Written By: tv on 09/25/14 at 1:46 am

Exactly. I think it's a good thing because the genre is back to focusing on its core audience instead of trying to crossover

BTW,  '00s ringtone rap, in a way, was to Hip Hop what '80s hair metal was to Rock
Well to narrow it down ringtone rap was was like the 2nd tier or 2nd Wave of  Hair Metal Bands like Slaughterhouse, Ratt, Warrant, or even Winger were to the Hair Metal Trend.  Both the ringtone rappers and the 2nd wave or 2nd tier Hair Metal Bands their popularity didn't last that long.

Check for new replies or respond here...