inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: When do you expect a change in pop culture?

Written By: Visor765 on 09/26/14 at 12:40 am

In a '90s thread, me and Inladsvägen1986 got into a conversation about the mid 1990s. I said '94 was really different from '95 & '96, and here's what he said:

Coming from somebody who remembers 1994-6: 1994 was definitely not old and different in 1995/96. You can't just say that tastes and style change that fast. It might be the new stuff from each year that seemed a bit different, but you can't just ignore the hold overs. Pop cultural differences become visible after 3 years at earliest.

Now that 2014 is almost over, when do you think we will see another noticeable change in pop culture? According to Inlandsvägen1986, the earliest we will see a difference is 2017. But because I'm not a huge fan of 2014, if 2015 and 2016 are gonna be the same as the current year pop culturally, then they better have higher quality songs and rock better make a comeback too!

Subject: Re: When do you expect a change in pop culture?

Written By: gibbo on 09/26/14 at 1:07 am

The quality won't improve until the shows like Xfactor and Idol etc stop mass producing mediocre, use-by-date 'talent'. 

Written By: 80sfan on 09/26/14 at 3:07 am

TV wise, I think it's already changed. There's tv shows out now that have better dialogue and story lines out right now.

Movie-wise, it's not my taste, too much mediocrity, as well as music in the mainstream.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/26/14 at 3:18 am

You will not notice a change in pop culture if you are still in the decade. It's still not easy to distinguish between 2011 and now. We were actually discussing about the 90s which were 20 years ago.

BTW: Is there any need to quote me and bold my name? I am not a scientist.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/26/14 at 11:18 pm

You will not notice a change in pop culture if you are still in the decade. It's still not easy to distinguish between 2011 and now. We were actually discussing about the 90s which were 20 years ago.

BTW: Is there any need to quote me and bold my name? I am not a scientist.

I remember feeling the pop culture at the time during the 90s and the 2000s. I react to what's going on around me so it's possible to be aware of the times during a time.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 09/27/14 at 12:03 am

I expect a huge change in 2017. Music will be much better by then.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 09/27/14 at 4:48 am

I remember feeling the pop culture at the time during the 90s and the 2000s. I react to what's going on around me so it's possible to be aware of the times during a time.

Yeah, I did so, too. I just think it's absurd to predict something for the future. When it was 2006 for example, I also couldn't predict that smartphones will rule the world 4 years later...

Written By: bchris02 on 09/27/14 at 3:13 pm

In a '90s thread, me and Inladsvägen1986 got into a conversation about the mid 1990s. I said '94 was really different from '95 & '96, and here's what he said:

Now that 2014 is almost over, when do you think we will see another noticeable change in pop culture? According to Inlandsvägen1986, the earliest we will see a difference is 2017. But because I'm not a huge fan of 2014, if 2015 and 2016 are gonna be the same as the current year pop culturally, then they better have higher quality songs and rock better make a comeback too!

I don't know.  Something new needs to come along to kick today's EDM-lite pop to the curb like Katy Perry and Lady Gaga kicked ringtone rap to the curb in 2009.  It has been mentioned before but this is the first time since the 1980s that a specific sound has dominated all pop music.  Top 40 is targeted primarily to 13-24 year olds.  My guess is that the next big change will take place in the late '10s as that age-range shifts from primarily Gen-Y to Gen-Z.

Also, the '90s in particular were a very changeful decade in virtually every facet of life.  Most of the time change comes in a lot more gradually.

Written By: winteriscoming on 09/29/14 at 12:16 am

Pop culture is changing all the time, though I don't notice a huge difference between 2006 and today.

Written By: GH1996 on 09/29/14 at 2:55 pm

I'd say around 2017/18, some if today's rap and pop will go out of style and something new will come in

Written By: SiderealDreams on 09/29/14 at 5:04 pm

I'd say between 2016 and 2018.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/02/14 at 9:06 pm

Technically, decades are always divided into thirds, so the 2010s would go like this:

2011-Early 2014 - The true start of the 2010s

Late 2014-Early 2017 - The mid 2010s

Lastly, Late 2017 - Late 2020 - It'll start to look a little more like the 20s in this period.

So, I expect to see some great changes in pop culture around late 2016. The 2010s already pretty memorable to a t. As you probably know, the 2010s are the decade of the 90s revival (overalls returning, Girl Meets World on the Disney Channel and "The To Do List" in Theaters), Game of Thrones, Breaking Bad,  Orange is the New Black, Ebola scare, iPads, Scandal and Nicki Minjai.

Those 90s kids, with their rose tinted wayfarer sunglasses, will more than likely vote for Hilary. There goes another history changing event to go down in the textbooks.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/03/14 at 2:05 pm

Pop culture is changing all the time, though I don't notice a huge difference between 2006 and today.

Pop culture is wayyy different today than it was in 2006. That year was probably the height of '00s culture. Here is just a short list of things that were everywhere in 2006 but are gone today.

Glam and ringtone rap
emo styles and haircuts
MySpace
Bush-era excess
Stylish flip phones like the Motorola Razr
Nickelback and Daughtry
Windows XP
Borat - Hillarious movie that seems pretty dated when you watch it in 2014
iPods that just played music
Burning CDs

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/03/14 at 7:46 pm

Pop culture is wayyy different today than it was in 2006. That year was probably the height of '00s culture. Here is just a short list of things that were everywhere in 2006 but are gone today.

Glam and ringtone rap
emo styles and haircuts
MySpace
Bush-era excess
Stylish flip phones like the Motorola Razr
Nickelback and Daughtry
Windows XP
Borat - Hillarious movie that seems pretty dated when you watch it in 2014
iPods that just played music
Burning CDs

Hmmm, good point. I guess it is pretty dated in some ways. Maybe the fact HD video was fairly widespread in 2006 gives an illusion that it's not as dated as it actually is.

Written By: Emman on 10/03/14 at 7:51 pm

Hmmm, good point. I guess it is pretty dated in some ways. Maybe the fact HD video was fairly widespread in 2006 gives an illusion that it's not as dated as it actually is.

A lot has changed sociopolitically too, 2006 was before the financial crisis/Great Recession and the election of Obama, before the Tea Party/OWS/Arab Spring/Ferguson.

IMO 2008 was the most changeful year of the '00s.

Written By: GH1996 on 10/03/14 at 8:22 pm

A lot has changed sociopolitically too, 2006 was before the financial crisis/Great Recession and the election of Obama, before the Tea Party/OWS/Arab Spring/Ferguson.

IMO 2008 was the most changeful year of the '00s.

Agreed, lots of change in 2008

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/03/14 at 8:27 pm

Over the years the styles of pop music have changed, no doubt it will change again in the next few years.

Written By: Howard on 10/04/14 at 7:18 am

Over the years the styles of pop music have changed, no doubt it will change again in the next few years.

I doubt it too.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/04/14 at 6:32 pm

Change is happening right now, at this very minute. In the next few years, we'll see if "Nico&Vinz, Iggy Azalea, Blackish, Broad City, Destiny (the video game), Hilary Clinton's popularity, iPhone 6s, VH1's Dating Naked, Michael Bay's TMNT, lesser known Marvel heroes, Nike Free Max SBs, Robin Williams tributes, selfies" live on or die down. Only time will tell. To me 2014 is another 1993, we are definitively in the mid 2010s now. It won't start to look more like the 2020s until 2017.   

Written By: bchris02 on 10/04/14 at 8:38 pm

If you lived in a small city or rural area, you probably didn't even get HD TV broadcasts in 2006.  Blu-ray came out that year but before that, DVD was as good as you could get.  If you watch old YouTube videos that were posted in 2006, few if any are in HD.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/05/14 at 6:48 am

I am pretty sure that YouTube didn't support HD in the late 00s.

Written By: Howard on 10/05/14 at 1:38 pm

Change is happening right now, at this very minute. In the next few years, we'll see if "Nico&Vinz, Iggy Azalea, Blackish, Broad City, Destiny (the video game), Hilary Clinton's popularity, iPhone 6s, VH1's Dating Naked, Michael Bay's TMNT, lesser known Marvel heroes, Nike Free Max SBs, Robin Williams tributes, selfies" live on or die down. Only time will tell. To me 2014 is another 1993, we are definitively in the mid 2010s now. It won't start to look more like the 2020s until 2017. 

I agree with that.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/05/14 at 7:42 pm

Most of the happenings of 1989 I became familiar with in the early 90's.

In the mid 10s, people will become more familiar with the stuff of 2014.

Written By: tv on 10/06/14 at 1:08 am

Musically maybe 2018. I think EDM will probably last till then.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/09/14 at 12:32 am

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 10/16/14 at 12:04 am

All of the major changes in pop culture will happen in the 2020s. I think, at least, one of the major primetime cartoons will not get picked up for another season in the next decade. I feel it in my gut that one of them is going to get the axe. Could you imagine what it is going to be like when The Simpsons are off the air?! It'll be larger than when Michael Jackson passed away in '09. FOX may even play reruns of the Tracy Ullman Show (okay, I'm reaching), but it will be massive! All of that Simpsons junk from 1990, especially the Bart Simpson Underachiever shirt, will be worth hundreds. I don't see Family Guy leaving FOX any time sooner, so I'm sure it will be The Simpsons!  :o  If Hilary is President, the 20s will have to be different from all other decades before them.

I can't help but say I'm excited for what is to come. This is coming from a guy who usually flashes backs to 1991 every day.

Written By: Howard on 10/16/14 at 2:49 pm

Could you imagine what it is going to be like when The Simpsons are off the air?!

The Simpsons have been going on for quite some time now, they are sure to be cancelled any year now.

Written By: Louise1978 on 10/17/14 at 1:09 am

I think before the end of this decade there will be a change in pop culture.

Written By: gibbo on 10/17/14 at 1:21 am

I think around 6.00 pm this evening. But but the U.S. will have to wait (because of the different time zones).  :)

Written By: Howard on 10/17/14 at 8:29 am

I think before the end of this decade there will be a change in pop culture.

I think so, that's what will probably happen.

Written By: Howard on 10/17/14 at 8:31 am

I think around 6.00 pm this evening. But but the U.S. will have to wait (because of the different time zones).  :)

;D

Written By: Sita0 on 10/19/14 at 1:43 pm

OK, here's something:

2006-2007: possibly the height of 2000s culture. "Bad Day," "You're Beautiful," "Promiscuous," "Ridin'," "Irreplacable," "Umbrella," "Big Girls Don't Cry," "Hey There Delilah" are notable songs from 2006-2007.

2008: The recession comes in, gas prices drop, and Obama becomes president. Big changes. Music is not all that different, but new blood is appearing (Katy Perry starts out with "I Kissed a Girl," for example)

2009: The year of musical change. Michael Jackson and Billy Mays both die. Although some older artists are prevalent on the radio, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga, both influential in the early 2010s, take off. Styles change.

2010: Very different from 2006-2007 now. BoB scores two hits- "Airplane" and "Nothin' on You." (with Bruno Mars, who also had "Just the Way You Are") Ke$ha starts her career with "Tik Tok." A little country comes in with "Need You Now." Katy Perry continues her success with "California Gurls" and "Teenage Dream" Taio Cruz (remember him?) is a hit with "Dynamite" and "Break Your Heart."

2011: MORE Katy Perry. "ET" and "Firework" are very popular. The Black Eyed Peas have their last big hit, "Just Can't Get Enough." Pink is in with "raise your glass." LFMAO, And, of course, the year's big star is Adele.

2012: 1-hit-wonders: Gotye with "Somebody that I used to know." Carly Rae Jepsen with the awful drivel "call me maybe," Psy with "Gangnam Style" etc... Adele and LMFAO find continued success. Calvin Harris.

2013: "Thrift Shop," "Blurred Lines," and the not-so-triumphant return of Miley Cyrus to the spotlight.

2014: Nico and Vinz, Iggy Azalea, Charli XCX, and a whole bunch more newcomers.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/20/14 at 8:34 am

OK, here's something:

2006-2007: possibly the height of 2000s culture. "Bad Day," "You're Beautiful," "Promiscuous," "Ridin'," "Irreplacable," "Umbrella," "Big Girls Don't Cry," "Hey There Delilah" are notable songs from 2006-2007.

2008: The recession comes in, gas prices drop, and Obama becomes president. Big changes. Music is not all that different, but new blood is appearing (Katy Perry starts out with "I Kissed a Girl," for example)

2009: The year of musical change. Michael Jackson and Billy Mays both die. Although some older artists are prevalent on the radio, Taylor Swift and Lady Gaga, both influential in the early 2010s, take off. Styles change.

2010: Very different from 2006-2007 now. BoB scores two hits- "Airplane" and "Nothin' on You." (with Bruno Mars, who also had "Just the Way You Are") Ke$ha starts her career with "Tik Tok." A little country comes in with "Need You Now." Katy Perry continues her success with "California Gurls" and "Teenage Dream" Taio Cruz (remember him?) is a hit with "Dynamite" and "Break Your Heart."

2011: MORE Katy Perry. "ET" and "Firework" are very popular. The Black Eyed Peas have their last big hit, "Just Can't Get Enough." Pink is in with "raise your glass." LFMAO, And, of course, the year's big star is Adele.

2012: 1-hit-wonders: Gotye with "Somebody that I used to know." Carly Rae Jepsen with the awful drivel "call me maybe," Psy with "Gangnam Style" etc... Adele and LMFAO find continued success. Calvin Harris.

2013: "Thrift Shop," "Blurred Lines," and the not-so-triumphant return of Miley Cyrus to the spotlight.

2014: Nico and Vinz, Iggy Azalea, Charli XCX, and a whole bunch more newcomers.

This is pretty much spot on.

However, I will say 2009 was the height of Lady Gaga's career.  Poker Face, Lovegame, and Bad Romance were very popular that year.  Also, Tik Tok was a 2009 song, not 2010.  Obama became President in 2009.  Bush was still President through almost all of 2008 and gas prices didn't drop until very late that year.  One of the things I still remember 2008 for was $5 gas that summer when oil went to $150/barrel.

So yeah 2009 was the big year of change.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/20/14 at 10:18 am

This is pretty much spot on.

However, I will say 2009 was the height of Lady Gaga's career.  Poker Face, Lovegame, and Bad Romance were very popular that year.  Also, Tik Tok was a 2009 song, not 2010.  Obama became President in 2009.  Bush was still President through almost all of 2008 and gas prices didn't drop until very late that year.  One of the things I still remember 2008 for was $5 gas that summer when oil went to $150/barrel.

So yeah 2009 was the big year of change.

Actually Obama became president in 2008. I'm not even American and I know that. And all of the new electropop songs came out summer of 08' and Lady Gaga came out late 2008 as well. The economic crash happened in fall of 2008. So really, 2008 was the year with the big changes, not 2009. 2009 was just a follow up year.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/20/14 at 1:31 pm

Actually Obama became president in 2008. I'm not even American and I know that. And all of the new electropop songs came out summer of 08' and Lady Gaga came out late 2008 as well. The economic crash happened in fall of 2008. So really, 2008 was the year with the big changes, not 2009. 2009 was just a follow up year.

Obama actually became president in January 2009. He was elected in 2008. Bush was still president for the first few weeks of 2009, same with Reagan in 1989.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/20/14 at 2:00 pm

Obama actually became president in January 2009. He was elected in 2008. Bush was still president for the first few weeks of 2009, same with Reagan in 1989.

True but all the videos, records and history books will probably mention the year he was elected as more importance.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/20/14 at 2:39 pm

In retrospect, 2007/2008 'felt' 2010s already.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/20/14 at 2:57 pm

In retrospect, 2007/2008 'felt' 2010s already.

Not 2007 to me, second half of 2008 and 2009 felt 2010s. But even from then there are some noticeable differences today.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/20/14 at 3:03 pm

Not 2007 to me, second half of 2008 and 2009 felt 2010s. But even from then there are some noticeable differences today.

Yeah, 2002 to 2007 was pretty much pure 00s. Then by 2008 I could feel the 10s coming.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/20/14 at 6:58 pm

I agree.  There was nothing '10s about 2007.  Being the peak year of MySpace, emo, scene culture, ringtone rap, the flip phone era, etc, it was about as '00s as you can get. By late 2008 you could see the groundwork being laid.

Written By: Emman on 10/20/14 at 9:51 pm

It might just be me but it seems like there's more activism(particularlly youth activism) in the 2010s than there was in the '90s or '00s.

I don't know if it's some kind of echo effect of Boomer parents on Millennials or what?

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/21/14 at 12:30 pm

It might just be me but it seems like there's more activism(particularlly youth activism) in the 2010s than there was in the '90s or '00s.

I don't know if it's some kind of echo effect of Boomer parents on Millennials or what?

Definitely. I've noticed a big revival of feminism especially. Women/Girls born in the 90s seem more feminist than women born in the 70s or 80s.

Written By: Emman on 10/21/14 at 2:26 pm

Definitely. I've noticed a big revival of feminism especially. Women/Girls born in the 90s seem more feminist than women born in the 70s or 80s.

Also OWS, Arab Spring, anonymous/hacktivism, Edward Showden, Travyon Martin, and now the situation in Ferguson, in fact there are still street protests/marches going on in St Louis right now.

But the weird thing is all this activism going on has so far had little effect on music(which has been on YOLO/EDM mode for the past 5 years).

In the Sixties the activism was sometimes inseparable from the youth pop culture.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/21/14 at 10:47 pm

But the weird thing is all this activism going on has so far had little effect on music(which has been on YOLO/EDM mode for the past 5 years).

I disagree.  Current musical styles can trace its roots back to gay culture, and right now the primary arena for youth activism is gay rights.  Lady Gaga really began the EDM craze in pop and she was the biggest gay icon in history.  In the 2000s, I liked EDM, then called "techno" or "trance" and it was something that if you were straight you didn't admit to liking because it was to gays as hip-hop was to blacks.  All of that changed when Lady Gaga busted on the national scene in 2008 and 2009. 

On top of that, you've had numerous songs either explicitly supporting gay rights like "Same Love" by Macklemore, or implying it like We R Who We R by Katy Perry, Fireworks also by Katy Perry, and We Can't Stop by Miley Cyrus.  It's everywhere right now.

Written By: TallGrass on 10/23/14 at 10:47 am

Anywhere from 2017-2023.

For the time being, though, we're stuck with EDM, indie rock, superhero movies & and hipsters.

Written By: the2001 on 12/25/15 at 11:28 am

Late 2016

:) ;) :D

Written By: Baltimoreian on 12/25/15 at 11:49 am

I predict that a change in pop culture will happen in either late 2016 or early 2017.

Written By: Toon on 12/25/15 at 12:24 pm

Maybe around the late 2010's years such as 2017 or 2018. The change may be gradual/subtle, but I guess in the year 2022 when we look back on these years we'll notice the bigger differences.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/25/15 at 1:17 pm

2017 most likely...but things could stay the way they are all the way to 2020.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/15 at 1:43 pm

I think a noticeable shift is gonna happen Summer/Fall of 2016.

Written By: the2001 on 12/25/15 at 1:46 pm

I think a noticeable shift is gonna happen Summer/Fall of 2016.

explain why you think so, I agree with you

Written By: 2001 on 12/25/15 at 1:54 pm

US presidential elections always have a huge impact on culture. It will be late 2016. It looks like Democrats are going to win if things keep going the way they are, so it won't be a big difference like 2008. If a Republican wins then it will definitely be a huge shift, but it's not looking likely.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/25/15 at 2:10 pm

explain why you think so, I agree with you

I don't know I think it's time for a change. I just have a feeling things will change next year but I may be wrong. I think we will at least see hints next year of what the late 2010's will offer.

Written By: #Infinity on 12/25/15 at 5:05 pm

I think 2016-2017 will be the transitional school year between the mid-2010s and late 2010s, with spring or late winter being the threshold.  I think we will see more Nintendo mobile apps than ever, including Pokémon Go; somebody other than Obama will obviously be President of the United States, the current culture wars will be in their peak, the MCU may show its first real signs of ailment, and new movies will start to take more cues from the Star Wars sequel trilogy than the Marvel superhero flicks.  We may also see the Nintendo NX and Powerpuff Girls revival series, although the release dates for both are still up in the air.  I'm not sure how music will evolve, however.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/15 at 5:59 pm

I predict that a change in pop culture will happen in either late 2016 or early 2017.

I would say around that time too.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/25/15 at 7:30 pm

2017, when whoever the new president is, comes into office!  8)

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/25/15 at 7:55 pm

I believe it will probably sometime in mid-late 2016. I am already sensing a change in pop culture already even thought its a little early.

Written By: the2001 on 12/26/15 at 7:56 am

I believe it will probably sometime in mid-late 2016. I am already sensing a change in pop culture already even thought its a little early.

what changes do you sense right now

Written By: Slim95 on 12/26/15 at 11:59 am

I'm sensing a change too but I have been feeling that since the start of 2015. I think it's the attitudes and world events that are fuelling these changes.

Written By: TheKid99 on 12/26/15 at 9:50 pm

Oh sorry guys I forgot to respond. I think Slim95 summed up what I sense in changes.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/27/15 at 2:33 pm

2017 most likely...but things could stay the way they are all the way to 2020.

I think your first prediction, in regards to 2017, was the most accurate. However I completely disagree with your second prediction. The current school year is the peak of mid 2010s culture. The 2016-2017 school year will likely be the transition into late 2010s culture. The 2017-2018 school year will probably be completely late 2010s, or may have a very small trace of mid 2010s influence. 2018-2019 will probably have no mid 2010s influence whatsoever.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/28/15 at 5:36 pm

Who knows. The '60s peaked relatively late.  The 1950s and 1990s were both split decades, with significantly different culture during their second half as opposed to their first half.

History could look back on 2010s culture as 2013-2020 rather than 2008-2017.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/28/15 at 10:23 pm

Who knows. The '60s peaked relatively late.  The 1950s and 1990s were both split decades, with significantly different culture during their second half as opposed to their first half.

History could look back on 2010s culture as 2013-2020 rather than 2008-2017.

Neither groupings seem likely. It'll probably be more like 2012-2016 or 2013-(early) 2017. You seem adamant that the culture established in the mid 2010s will peak in the late 2010s. If this is what you believe, then I completely disagree. I honestly don't believe any elements of the late 2010s have been established yet. The earliest traces of the late 2010s will be around late 2016. The current school year (2015-2016) is the peak of mid 2010s culture. Based on the past few decades, the late 2010s will likely have more in common with the early 2020s. In hindsight, the current culture will seem closer to 2011 than 2019. At least that's what I believe.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/28/15 at 11:22 pm

Neither groupings seem likely. It'll probably be more like 2012-2016 or 2013-(early) 2017. You seem adamant that the culture established in the mid 2010s will peak in the late 2010s. If this is what you believe, then I completely disagree. I honestly don't believe any elements of the late 2010s have been established yet. The earliest traces of the late 2010s will be around late 2016. The current school year (2015-2016) is the peak of mid 2010s culture. Based on the past few decades, the late 2010s will likely have more in common with the early 2020s. In hindsight, the current culture will seem closer to 2011 than 2019. At least that's what I believe.

We shall see.  It's really difficult to predict when the next big shift will occur.  I mean, there isn't any world-changing technology on the horizon right now like Web 2.0 in the late '00s and tablets/smartphones in the early '10s.  Music has already shifted comfortably into the Generation Z era.  SJW cultural tensions are still escalating.  As of now, while the economy may be showing some weak signs, its not showing any evidence of a 2008-style catastrophe.  What is on the horizon that could propel a massive shift?

The one thing I see is if the GOP wins the Presidency in 2017, which should shift the national mood in a more conservative direction.  If there is a Dem victory, I see the current culture continuing to evolve into 2020 but no real radical shift.

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/29/15 at 1:21 am

We shall see.  It's really difficult to predict when the next big shift will occur.  I mean, there isn't any world-changing technology on the horizon right now like Web 2.0 in the late '00s and tablets/smartphones in the early '10s.  Music has already shifted comfortably into the Generation Z era.  SJW cultural tensions are still escalating.  As of now, while the economy may be showing some weak signs, its not showing any evidence of a 2008-style catastrophe.  What is on the horizon that could propel a massive shift?

The one thing I see is if the GOP wins the Presidency in 2017, which should shift the national mood in a more conservative direction.  If there is a Dem victory, I see the current culture continuing to evolve into 2020 but no real radical shift.

Having paid close attention to popular music for the past three years I can say for certain that music has not shifted toward the Homeland Generation. The teen pop trend is only an obstruction, not a signal is shift or style, and it is a small trend. Since 2011, the biggest hits have been urban songs. Millennials are a very large generation and about half of them are still very young - under 25 years of age. They are an important demographic and if anything they are more profitable than ever before. The very late '60s/very early '70s had teen pop/bubblegum pop/sunshine pop (The Osmonds, Partridge Family, solo Donny Osmond, Tony Orlando, etc.), yet that didn't signal Generation X was coming; it was an obstruction. Disco came years later and is just as important of a cultural identifier for Baby Boomers as the hippie movement was (what happened at the same time as the teen pop craze).

Teen pop of today has declined sharply throughout the year, and the only really big figure left is Justin Bieber. Ariana Grande is flopping hard, One Direction has been receiving little attention by press, Meghan Trainor has proved herself to be more than just a teen pop figure with "Like I'm Gonna Lose You", Selena Gomez has successfully left her teen idol image behind with her new music, and Justin Beiber is only receiving so much exposure through massive over-promotion and gimmicks (like releasing music videos for every song on his album). Adele is whooping his ass both in terms of sales and exposure -- and her music has been severely under-promoted. Music is still very Millennial-oriented and will remain so for a good several years. 2015 has given us the most mature music that we have listened to in the past several years.

What you really dislike is the 2010s. You've claimed to have enjoyed the 2009-2012 period for music as well as the aughts (you only said you disliked 2002 and 2006). You are also 30 years old and that is well past your impressionability age, and 2009-12 still had some vague leftover '00s influences anyway. You are a 2000s fan.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/29/15 at 11:23 am

Having paid close attention to popular music for the past three years I can say for certain that music has not shifted toward the Homeland Generation. The teen pop trend is only an obstruction, not a signal is shift or style, and it is a small trend. Since 2011, the biggest hits have been urban songs. Millennials are a very large generation and about half of them are still very young - under 25 years of age. They are an important demographic and if anything they are more profitable than ever before. The very late '60s/very early '70s had teen pop/bubblegum pop/sunshine pop (The Osmonds, Partridge Family, solo Donny Osmond, Tony Orlando, etc.), yet that didn't signal Generation X was coming; it was an obstruction. Disco came years later and is just as important of a cultural identifier for Baby Boomers as the hippie movement was (what happened at the same time as the teen pop craze).

Teen pop of today has declined sharply throughout the year, and the only really big figure left is Justin Bieber. Ariana Grande is flopping hard, One Direction has been receiving little attention by press, Meghan Trainor has proved herself to be more than just a teen pop figure with "Like I'm Gonna Lose You", Selena Gomez has successfully left her teen idol image behind with her new music, and Justin Beiber is only receiving so much exposure through massive over-promotion and gimmicks (like releasing music videos for every song on his album). Adele is whooping his ass both in terms of sales and exposure -- and her music has been severely under-promoted. Music is still very Millennial-oriented and will remain so for a good several years. 2015 has given us the most mature music that we have listened to in the past several years.

What you really dislike is the 2010s. You've claimed to have enjoyed the 2009-2012 period for music as well as the aughts (you only said you disliked 2002 and 2006). You are also 30 years old and that is well past your impressionability age, and 2009-12 still had some vague leftover '00s influences anyway. You are a 2000s fan.

I am not necissarily a 2000s fan.  I liked the music of the early '00s but am not a big fan of that era otherwise.  I could take or leave the mid '00s.  I really did love the late 2000s however.

I agree 2015 has been an improvement music wise over 2013 and 2014.  2014 was probably the peak year for teen pop.  2015 has been a bigger year for urban and Adele has come back very strong.  My personal life has really sucked since late 2012 and I am sure that warps my perception of '10s culture.  My personal life was great in 2008-2012 and coincidentally I loved the culture of that time.

Unfortunately, the small town radio station I am stuck listening to doesn't play a lot of current music, especially urban music, so I am stuck seeking stuff out online.  The stuff they do play here is the worst of the worst (lots of Ariana Grande, Justin Bieber, Selena Gomez) combined with a lot of early 2000s hip-hop ('Nelly - Hot In Heere' plays every few hours) but none of the more mature music of today.  The station boycotted "Hold Each Other" by A Great Big World, one of the best songs of this year, because of the gay verse.  They also started playing "New Americana", another great song, but pulled it because of parental outrage.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/29/15 at 3:41 pm

I'm not claiming that there will be a sudden shift in the late 2010s. Realistically speaking it'll be gradual change, starting around late 2016/2017. I think you might be confusing the political atmosphere with pop culture. Sure, the political atmosphere is kind of hard to predict, since certain events can change people's views drastically (for better or for worse). However, when it comes to pop culture, I have no doubt that things will begin to gradually shift around late 2016/2017, regardless of who's elected president. I can't imagine things like trap rap and hipster clothing still being popular in 2019.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/15 at 3:53 pm

I really hope we get a change in music soon. The songs on the charts are really boring. The only thing that was better in 2015 was a little more variety rather than just electro pop which is what you heard non stop in 2009-2012. I am happy we are past the constant electro autotuned club music, that was really annoying. But still, you pretty much only here repetitive trap rap and teen pop on the radio and the occasional Adele. It is very boring and unexciting. I want some new and fresh mainstream music with more substance to come next year.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/15 at 3:59 pm

I'm not claiming that there will be a sudden shift in the late 2010s. Realistically speaking it'll be gradual change, starting around late 2016/2017. I think you might be confusing the political atmosphere with pop culture. Sure, the political atmosphere is kind of hard to predict, since certain events can change people's views drastically (for better or for worse). However, when it comes to pop culture, I have no doubt that things will begin to gradually shift around late 2016/2017, regardless of who's elected president. I can't imagine things like trap rap and hipster clothing still being popular in 2019.

Generally the last year of the decade feels very different from the early part of the decade. Same case occurred with the 90's and 00's. I think there will be changes too. But, nobody can predict what will happen. Maybe the vibe we have now will stick around. Nobody knows for sure unless you are psychic.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/29/15 at 4:43 pm

Generally the last year of the decade feels very different from the early part of the decade. Same case occurred with the 90's and 00's. I think there will be changes too. But, nobody can predict what will happen. Maybe the vibe we have now will stick around. Nobody knows for sure unless you are psychic.

Exactly.  It's easy to say hipster fashion and trap rap won't last until 2019, but right now there really isn't anything big on the horizon to replace it.  In 2005, the big trends in fashion were emo/scene and the preppy A&F look from the early 2000s.  Both were still popular enough to be relevant in 2009.  The same goes for music, in which Southern hip-hop (Lil' Wayne, T.I.), pop R&B (Rihanna, Beyonce), and post-grunge remained popular all the way to 2009, despite the incoming '10s culture we had that year.  Unless there is a radical shift, I expect there to be elements of today's culture still there in 2019.

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/15 at 6:10 pm

There actually is life-changing technology on the horizon. Namely, the Internet of Things, or smart devices. Imagine the alarm on your phone going off and the lights turning on instantly and your blinds opening without you needing to get up. The whole home automation movement is going to take off in the late 2010s. It's not a prediction, I know that for a fact (well it might happen later than the 2010s, but it will happen eventually). The only hurdle really is that the Internet is sometimes unreliable and drops connection, so it might be smarter to use a different medium other than the Internet.

There's also self driving cars, a huge game changer. I think these will be huge elements of the 2020s, if not late 2010s.

I see some roots of the late 2010s taking place with the extreme rise in xenophobia this year, especially with the Syrian refugee crisis. It might be a late 2010s thing but it might be too early to say, it might be just a blip.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/15 at 6:32 pm

I totally agree with lots of new tech on the horizon. Especially self driving cars. There were even prototypes for flying cars and real hoverboards. Also robots like Asimo are in the works. The future is very bright for technology.

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/15 at 7:12 pm

I totally agree with lots of new tech on the horizon. Especially self driving cars. There were even prototypes for flying cars and real hoverboards. Also robots like Asimo are in the works. The future is very bright for technology.

Oh yeah, those hoverboards! Well, I don't know if they're called hoverboards, but I see these around campus pretty frequently these days! I also saw them selling it at the mall. It was like $800 though, no thanks.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/3372e5a42cdb5a7229e4768b5c77c0d88c18cfd4/0_372_4823_2892/4823.jpg?w=460&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=252722a78e0031e5351ce054c402fc0d

It's like the Jetsons or Wall-E in real life haha.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/29/15 at 7:38 pm

Oh yeah, those hoverboards! Well, I don't know if they're called hoverboards, but I see these around campus pretty frequently these days! I also saw them selling it at the mall. It was like $800 though, no thanks.

https://i.guim.co.uk/img/media/3372e5a42cdb5a7229e4768b5c77c0d88c18cfd4/0_372_4823_2892/4823.jpg?w=460&q=85&auto=format&sharp=10&s=252722a78e0031e5351ce054c402fc0d

Those are not what I'm talking about. Those are pretty lame in my opinion. I'm talking about real hoverboard prototypes that use magnets to hover in the air.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/29/15 at 8:21 pm

Exactly.  It's easy to say hipster fashion and trap rap won't last until 2019, but right now there really isn't anything big on the horizon to replace it.  In 2005, the big trends in fashion were emo/scene and the preppy A&F look from the early 2000s.  Both were still popular enough to be relevant in 2009.  The same goes for music, in which Southern hip-hop (Lil' Wayne, T.I.), pop R&B (Rihanna, Beyonce), and post-grunge remained popular all the way to 2009, despite the incoming '10s culture we had that year.  Unless there is a radical shift, I expect there to be elements of today's culture still there in 2019.

Obviously there isn't anything on the horizon yet. It's only 2015. The earliest signs of late 2010s culture probably won't appear until at least late 2016. The reason why fashion in the 00s was slow to change was probably due to the fact that people were generally less fashion conscious. Only a very small number of people followed emo/scene fashion, while regular fashion remained very "plain" in the mid to late 00s. The 00s are probably not a very good example for comparison because it lacked an identity or style that really had a wide spread effect on fashion. That's why I think the influence of hipster fashion is more comparable to the influence of grunge fashion in the early-mid 90s. And, like grunge fashion, it is likely that hipster fashion will decline in the late 2010s. Obviously nothing is for sure, but the hipster style seems to fit strictly in the early to mid 2010s. The hipster style doesn't seem like one that will have much longevity.

Written By: 2001 on 12/29/15 at 9:09 pm

Those are not what I'm talking about. Those are pretty lame in my opinion. I'm talking about real hoverboard prototypes that use magnets to hover in the air.

I've never seen those before. Is it like maglev for humans?  :o Link?

Obviously there isn't anything on the horizon yet. It's only 2015. The earliest signs of late 2010s culture probably won't appear until at least late 2016. The reason why fashion in the 00s was slow to change was probably due to the fact that people were generally less fashion conscious. Only a very small number of people followed emo/scene fashion, while regular fashion remained very "plain" in the mid to late 00s. The 00s are probably not a very good example for comparison because it lacked an identity or style that really had a wide spread effect on fashion. That's why I think the influence of hipster fashion is more comparable to the influence of grunge fashion in the early-mid 90s. And, like grunge fashion, it is likely that hipster fashion will decline in the late 2010s. Obviously nothing is for sure, but the hipster style seems to fit strictly in the early to mid 2010s. The hipster style doesn't seem like one that will have much longevity.

2000s male fashion was anti-fashion basically. If you cared about your appearance, you were gay. That change in the late 2000s/early 2010s with the rise of the metrosexuals (of which I consider myself one :D). That's when the neon, bright colour "happy" clothes came in, as a reaction to those all-black emo clothes before it. In general 2010s high-end fashion is very classy, which is a lot more than I can say for the 2000s.

2015 is weird though. I go to downtown Toronto and hipster fashion is for real. I saw like six people with a manbun. There were people wearing floral t-shirts. There were socks with sandals. There were no socks with shoes. Of course everyone had a beard in the middle of summer. Just the other day though I saw a dude with a beard-braid, or a beard-bun. I don't know what to call it. It was basically his beard tied into some giant braid shape  ;D I saw another dude with a small headband. I have to admit, it looked rather nice. You can make a slicked back pompadour even if your hair refuses to go that way naturally, like mine does. Thankfully winter is coming in and people are back to wearing their fancy 2010s winter wear, I don't think anyone has bought hipster coats or anything yet  ;D

I think the lumbersexual look is still bigger than the "earthly" hipster (terrasexual?) look, going into 2016.

edit: Oh, I'm definitely calling it. Metrosexuals (late 2000s/early 2010s), Lumbersexuals (mid 2010s), and now terrasexuals (late 2010s). It's perfect LOL

Written By: bchris02 on 12/29/15 at 9:32 pm

2000s male fashion was anti-fashion basically. If you cared about your appearance, you were gay.

I remember that.  There was fashion trends for guys (A&F, cargo pants/shorts, Nike shoes, etc), but if you went too far or didn't get at least one size too large, you would be seen as gay.  If you went for anything classier, you would also be seen as gay.  The rule was, look good enough as long as you still look heterosexual.  I remember when I started to branch out a bit in my style around 2007, it took me a while to be able to comfortably wear nicer clothes without worrying about everybody questioning my sexual orientation.  It improved significantly in the late '00s but wasn't until the early '10s when that finally went away completely.

One thing distinct about the '00s, especially the first half of the decade, is at the time, sleeves needed to come close to your elbow and if they were too short you were gay. Today, the more bicep you show the better.

Written By: bchris02 on 12/29/15 at 9:44 pm

There actually is life-changing technology on the horizon. Namely, the Internet of Things, or smart devices. Imagine the alarm on your phone going off and the lights turning on instantly and your blinds opening without you needing to get up. The whole home automation movement is going to take off in the late 2010s. It's not a prediction, I know that for a fact (well it might happen later than the 2010s, but it will happen eventually). The only hurdle really is that the Internet is sometimes unreliable and drops connection, so it might be smarter to use a different medium other than the Internet.

There's also self driving cars, a huge game changer. I think these will be huge elements of the 2020s, if not late 2010s.

These are all things that will have a huge impact on our culture in the future, but I don't see them really taking off before 2020.  Today's Internet isn't as reliable and omnipresent as it needs to be for the Internet of things to work to its potential.  It's coming, but I don't see it before 2020.  The Internet of things will probably become Web 3.0 and will be a 2020s thing.

It's the same with self-driving cars.  While they are great in concept, its going to take a while for people to accept them and adoption will be slow at first.  I will say late 2020s at the earliest.  Self-driving cars will more than likely come into prominence closer to mid-century.

When I say there is no world changing technology on the horizon, I mean something that will be fully embraced within the next five years.

I see some roots of the late 2010s taking place with the extreme rise in xenophobia this year, especially with the Syrian refugee crisis. It might be a late 2010s thing but it might be too early to say, it might be just a blip.

Xenophobia is part of the SJW movement that is one of the big defining aspects of '10s culture.  Right now there is a lot of tension between people who want or accept a pluralistic America and those who want a WASP America.  There's a lot of passion on both sides and I see that continuing to escalate throughout the rest of the decade.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/30/15 at 12:02 am

Here's an article I found about it.

http://www.engadget.com/2015/06/23/lexus-slide-hoverboard-magnets-teaser/

Written By: ArcticFox on 12/30/15 at 1:14 am

Hipster fashion isn't in style anymore dude. The mid 2010's are all about the skater look, at least among high schoolers. Joggers? Vans? Cargo jackets? Plaid shirts? Hoodies? Skater dresses? Denim short shorts? That's skateboarding fashion. It became fashionable among high schoolers around 2014, although some elements of the style were coming in as early as 2012. Hipster was early 2010s. Shops such as Journey's, Zumiez, Vans, Forever 21, and H&M best represent this.

Among young people out of high school, the styles are more diverse. You have classic preppy, moto, bohemian, as well as plain styles (those have been the majority since the 1970's). Among college-aged kids, think shops like Guess, Express, H&M, Calvin Klein, Levi, Zara, and Uniqlo.

Also trap rap is not the biggest music trend, R&B is.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/15 at 1:28 am

Can I sleep in a self-driving car? Is there a time limit to how long the car can hold up?

Written By: 2001 on 12/30/15 at 2:43 am

Can I sleep in a self-driving car? Is there a time limit to how long the car can hold up?

This is (was?) the first publicly available assisted-driving car, the Tesla P85D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6905HDRs04

It's not fully automated. It will still bug you to have your hand on the steering wheel, so I don't think you'll get away with sleeping on that one. ;D

These are already on the market, but they're super expensive. I imagine they'll be available in cheaper cars in the latter part of this decade.

Google on the other hand is making fully self-driving cars instead of the semi-autonomous ones that are on the market right now. Their tentative release date is 2020. So yeah, maybe in the 2020s you'll be able to sleep in your car, and your 8 year old son can take your car to the candy store unsupervised  :D And people are complaining about kids staying at home all day. They're going to be longing for these good ole' days when kids didn't have their own cars LOL.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/15 at 3:21 am

This is (was?) the first publicly available assisted-driving car, the Tesla P85D https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J6905HDRs04

It's not fully automated. It will still bug you to have your hand on the steering wheel, so I don't think you'll get away with sleeping on that one. ;D

These are already on the market, but they're super expensive. I imagine they'll be available in cheaper cars in the latter part of this decade.

Google on the other hand is making fully self-driving cars instead of the semi-autonomous ones that are on the market right now. Their tentative release date is 2020. So yeah, maybe in the 2020s you'll be able to sleep in your car, and your 8 year old son can take your car to the candy store unsupervised  :D And people are complaining about kids staying at home all day. They're going to be longing for these good ole' days when kids didn't have their own cars LOL.

I have a feeling we won't be using them a lot until around 2025.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/30/15 at 3:35 am

I think self driving cars in the form of car sharing (using an app like Uber to order a self driving car) will hit major cities and become mainstream by the end of the decade.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/30/15 at 3:42 am

Hipster fashion isn't in style anymore dude. The mid 2010's are all about the skater look, at least among high schoolers. Joggers? Vans? Cargo jackets? Plaid shirts? Hoodies? Skater dresses? Denim short shorts? That's skateboarding fashion. It became fashionable among high schoolers around 2014, although some elements of the style were coming in as early as 2012. Hipster was early 2010s. Shops such as Journey's, Zumiez, Vans, Forever 21, and H&M best represent this.

Among young people out of high school, the styles are more diverse. You have classic preppy, moto, bohemian, as well as plain styles (those have been the majority since the 1970's). Among college-aged kids, think shops like Guess, Express, H&M, Calvin Klein, Levi, Zara, and Uniqlo.

From what I've seen, both of you are right. I see both the Hipsters and the... "skaters".

It seems like the look of today is still very hipster influenced. Like they're taking a mixture of the various styles from the 80's up to the early 2000's and mixing it with the mid-late 2000's + hipster fits. I see kids at skate parks wearing backwards caps, plaid shirts, hoodies and jeans but they're all tight fits and the hats are flat with stickers (sometimes in the 80's up to early 2000's, people would leave their hats flat but leaving a sticker on is a very recent thing. Like, 10 years recent, maybe?) or they have the beanie pushed up half way across their heads which started around 2007. Sometimes I see them with thick rimmed glasses, too. I don't really remember track pants ever really being a popular choice among skaters. Most dudes I knew preferred Dickies to anything. Dickies were the ultimate pants of the day back then for some reason. I'll say this: They are very comfy and look pretty cool. 

Notice here in this photo how nearly everyone is wearing skinny jeans. I see a couple of bent brims but some flat hats, too.

http://huckcdn.lwlies.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/go-skateboarding-day-london-2015.png

Here's a photo of an X-Games skater. He's wearing a flat hat with the sticker and a tank top which I don't ever remember being a popular skater fashion.

http://a1.espncdn.com/media/motion/2014/0608/dm_140608_BEST_OF_SKATE_STREET/dm_140608_BEST_OF_SKATE_STREET.jpg

Here's some skaters from around 1996/1997.

http://bitchslapmag.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/skateboard-pants.jpg

The clothing is a lot looser and is much more out there and colorful. I don't see much of this today if at all.

I remember that.  There was fashion trends for guys (A&F, cargo pants/shorts, Nike shoes, etc), but if you went too far or didn't get at least one size too large, you would be seen as gay.  If you went for anything classier, you would also be seen as gay.  The rule was, look good enough as long as you still look heterosexual.  I remember when I started to branch out a bit in my style around 2007, it took me a while to be able to comfortably wear nicer clothes without worrying about everybody questioning my sexual orientation.  It improved significantly in the late '00s but wasn't until the early '10s when that finally went away completely.

One thing distinct about the '00s, especially the first half of the decade, is at the time, sleeves needed to come close to your elbow and if they were too short you were gay. Today, the more bicep you show the better.

2000s male fashion was anti-fashion basically. If you cared about your appearance, you were gay. That change in the late 2000s/early 2010s with the rise of the metrosexuals (of which I consider myself one :D). That's when the neon, bright colour "happy" clothes came in, as a reaction to those all-black emo clothes before it. In general 2010s high-end fashion is very classy, which is a lot more than I can say for the 2000s.

I vaguely remember this but this mostly applies to 1998-2002. I don't remember the mid-00's being like this after the whole Myspace Emo thing. The slacker look of Sum 41 was the big in thing back in those days. Chris is also right about shirts coming down to the elbows in the early 2000's. I don't know if that had to do with being gay. I just remember it being the style because the looser your clothes = the more you don't give a sh*t.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/15 at 3:12 pm

I've seen those a lot lately.

Written By: Howard on 12/30/15 at 3:14 pm

I think self driving cars in the form of car sharing (using an app like Uber to order a self driving car) will hit major cities and become mainstream by the end of the decade.

So what will the person do if their hands are not on the steering wheel? ???

Written By: Slim95 on 12/30/15 at 3:45 pm

So what will the person do if their hands are not on the steering wheel? ???

Sleep haha

Written By: 80sfan on 12/30/15 at 10:50 pm

From what I've seen, both of you are right. I see both the Hipsters and the... "skaters".

It seems like the look of today is still very hipster influenced. Like they're taking a mixture of the various styles from the 80's up to the early 2000's and mixing it with the mid-late 2000's + hipster fits. I see kids at skate parks wearing backwards caps, plaid shirts, hoodies and jeans but they're all tight fits and the hats are flat with stickers (sometimes in the 80's up to early 2000's, people would leave their hats flat but leaving a sticker on is a very recent thing. Like, 10 years recent, maybe?) or they have the beanie pushed up half way across their heads which started around 2007. Sometimes I see them with thick rimmed glasses, too. I don't really remember track pants ever really being a popular choice among skaters. Most dudes I knew preferred Dickies to anything. Dickies were the ultimate pants of the day back then for some reason. I'll say this: They are very comfy and look pretty cool. 

Notice here in this photo how nearly everyone is wearing skinny jeans. I see a couple of bent brims but some flat hats, too.

http://huckcdn.lwlies.com/admin/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/go-skateboarding-day-london-2015.png

Here's a photo of an X-Games skater. He's wearing a flat hat with the sticker and a tank top which I don't ever remember being a popular skater fashion.

http://a1.espncdn.com/media/motion/2014/0608/dm_140608_BEST_OF_SKATE_STREET/dm_140608_BEST_OF_SKATE_STREET.jpg

Here's some skaters from around 1996/1997.

http://bitchslapmag.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/2013/09/skateboard-pants.jpg

The clothing is a lot looser and is much more out there and colorful. I don't see much of this today if at all.

I vaguely remember this but this mostly applies to 1998-2002. I don't remember the mid-00's being like this after the whole Myspace Emo thing. The slacker look of Sum 41 was the big in thing back in those days. Chris is also right about shirts coming down to the elbows in the early 2000's. I don't know if that had to do with being gay. I just remember it being the style because the looser your clothes = the more you don't give a sh*t.

The baggie pants from 1996/1997 remind me of Clueless (1995 film).  :)

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/30/15 at 11:19 pm

The baggie pants from 1996/1997 remind me of Clueless (1995 film).  :)

When I was typing that reply, Clueless is one of the first things I thought of! It's a hilarious movie!  ;D

Written By: gibbo on 12/31/15 at 1:54 am

Between 1 pm and 1:01pm today.

Written By: 80sfan on 12/31/15 at 1:56 am

When I was typing that reply, Clueless is one of the first things I thought of! It's a hilarious movie!  ;D

When did style become in for skateboarders?

Written By: Toon on 12/31/15 at 2:14 am

The thing that's hard about the main question is the fact that pop culture changes in unsuspected ways and may last longer or cut short when we least expect it. And when it does happen many may not take notice due to things be gradual. There is no such thing as a complete and sudden change in culture. We'll only really notice the big changes 5+ years after it has happened. We may not notice a true turn in culture as we approach the '20s until maybe 2025 or something.

Between 1 pm and 1:01pm today.

And this guy is just having fun.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 12/31/15 at 4:39 am

When did style become in for skateboarders?

You mean the baggy style? It's hard to say. In the 80's, even as early as 1981: the loose "elbow shirts", long sleeve shirts or that long sleeve + t-shirt combo (usually with Punk band or skate brand logos), vans or converse and backwards caps were already popular but it was more common to see fitted jeans (Note: not skinny) or plaid shorts, a flannel (sometimes wrapped around their waists), bandannas worn like headbands and sometimes they'd wear cut-off shirts. Nike Bruins were the shoe to have. Every serious skater owned a pair. Common skate brands: Nike, Independent, Santa Cruz, Vision, Powell Peralta, Bones.

Sometime around 1987 or 1988 is when you'd see the pants become baggier but I'd say 1994 is when baggy dickies, beanies (worn up to your forehead, not half way across your head like today), 3/4 shorts, hoodies (usually with skate brand logos. Newer brands started to establish themselves but we still wore Nike shoes and Independent or Santa Cruz shirts and used their products for our boards) and fitted caps worn backwards took off. Skaters already had that look in the picture I sent by then but if you look hard enough, you might see someone from 1987-1989 looking like that (rarely, though). Flannel and vans/converse were still in but bandannas were out. Fitted jeans were also not very common anymore. Common skate brands: Zoo York, Alien Workshop, Spitfire, Girl.

In 1998-2003, the look and skate brands were largely the same as it was in the mid-90's except the flannel was out. Nobody wore flannel during this time period.

From around 2004 to 2006/2007 is when the shirts, pants and hoodies really got really tight, the beanies went halfway across their heads, flat hats with sticker became the in thing and the swoop emo thing also somehow got thrown in there. Most kids seem to wear DC shoes (crap shoes) and aside from some newer brands, the brands seemed to be largely the same as the mid 90's but around this time, I stopped talking with the newer skaters. I think brands like Supreme and Obey really took off during this time and became popular with skaters.

Nowadays, it's mostly the same mid-00's look with some nice little hipster sensibilities mixed in. Thick glasses and tight plaid shirts. Maybe even a pompadour haircut or two. I don't know what brands they use these days but I assume it's still the mid-90's type. I do know they still wear DC shoes and Supreme and Obey clothing. 8-P

Thrasher clothing is one thing that's consistent with all eras of skaters but I don't think kids today have actually picked up a Thrasher and they're wearing the shirts for the name and legacy only (aka Poseurs) and not educating themselves on the history behind the magazine.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/15 at 7:21 am

Sleep haha

and then get caught by cops? ::)

Written By: bchris02 on 12/31/15 at 4:47 pm

The thing that's hard about the main question is the fact that pop culture changes in unsuspected ways and may last longer or cut short when we least expect it. And when it does happen many may not take notice due to things be gradual. There is no such thing as a complete and sudden change in culture. We'll only really notice the big changes 5+ years after it has happened. We may not notice a true turn in culture as we approach the '20s until maybe 2025 or something.

Sudden changes do occur.  1992-93 and 2009-10 are examples.  Those kind of shifts only come about once a generation though.  Gradual changes also occur, such as the transition from 90s to '00s.  Going into the '00s it wasn't easy to see the differences between the decades, even as late as 2004.  As we moved into the late '00s though you started to be able to see the transformation that had occurred in hindsight.

Right now, I believe the current culture will gradually evolve into the 2020s and we won't see a sudden shift where everything changes over the matter of a year or two.  Now something could happen that changes that, but personally I don't see it.

Written By: 2001 on 12/31/15 at 5:17 pm

and then get caught by cops? ::)

Google wants complete driverless cars by 2020 (as in taxis that will not have a driver). By late 2010 we could definitely see cars that barely require any human input. I agree though, I doubt it will be legal to sleep on the wheel in 2019. Maybe 2029  ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/31/15 at 10:04 pm

Sudden changes do occur.  1992-93 and 2009-10 are examples.  Those kind of shifts only come about once a generation though.  Gradual changes also occur, such as the transition from 90s to '00s.  Going into the '00s it wasn't easy to see the differences between the decades, even as late as 2004.  As we moved into the late '00s though you started to be able to see the transformation that had occurred in hindsight.

Right now, I believe the current culture will gradually evolve into the 2020s and we won't see a sudden shift where everything changes over the matter of a year or two.  Now something could happen that changes that, but personally I don't see it.

Dude, no one's saying that things will suddenly change in the late 2010s. All I'm saying is that the current trends that are popular now, will probably no longer be popular in 2018/2019. If they are still around in 2019, they won't be nearly as popular as they are now in the mid 2010s. You believe the current culture will evolve into the 2020s. From what I understand, you are claiming that the current pop culture will gradually change into the 2020s. If that's the case then you could be right. But it contradicts your previous comment, where you claimed that the current culture could continue until 2020.

Also, I don't think 1992 to 1993, nor 2009 to 2010 were sudden shifts. There's more on that subject in my newest comment.

Written By: musicguy93 on 12/31/15 at 10:09 pm

And this guy is just having fun.

Good point. I think by 2021 or 2022, the core 2010s will seem distant, but 2018/2019 will still seem recent. Kind of like how the late 00s still felt relatively recent in 2011-2012, but the mid 00s were starting to look "old".

Written By: #Infinity on 12/31/15 at 10:28 pm

In my opinion, the late 2000s didn't even start to look old until just this year, now that shows like Mad Men and CSI are over, nobody's talking about the seventh generation of gaming anymore, and social media has undergone several face lifts and made more of a transition towards mobility.  I still think 2007 is a lot closer to 2015/2016 than 1998/1999, though.

Written By: Howard on 01/01/16 at 7:50 am

Google wants complete driverless cars by 2020 (as in taxis that will not have a driver).

It will be hard to drive on the highways.

Written By: tv on 01/02/16 at 3:25 pm

Yeah Lil Wayne was really popular in 2008 and "Lollipop" was #1 on the Billboard Hot 100 back then.

Written By: Howard on 01/02/16 at 4:06 pm

Probably not in another couple of more years.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/05/16 at 6:28 am

I prediction a second stock market crash a la 2008, at the latest in 2018. But it won't be Armageddon, it'll be the economy bottoming out before we get out of this recession.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/05/16 at 1:27 pm

2015 is weird though. I go to downtown Toronto and hipster fashion is for real. I saw like six people with a manbun. There were people wearing floral t-shirts. There were socks with sandals. There were no socks with shoes. Of course everyone had a beard in the middle of summer. Just the other day though I saw a dude with a beard-braid, or a beard-bun. I don't know what to call it. It was basically his beard tied into some giant braid shape  ;D I saw another dude with a small headband. I have to admit, it looked rather nice. You can make a slicked back pompadour even if your hair refuses to go that way naturally, like mine does. Thankfully winter is coming in and people are back to wearing their fancy 2010s winter wear, I don't think anyone has bought hipster coats or anything yet  ;D

I think the lumbersexual look is still bigger than the "earthly" hipster (terrasexual?) look, going into 2016.

edit: Oh, I'm definitely calling it. Metrosexuals (late 2000s/early 2010s), Lumbersexuals (mid 2010s), and now terrasexuals (late 2010s). It's perfect LOL

Haha good one. All joking aside, I doubt any type of hipster fashion will be popular past 2017. The late 2010s will probably be the decline of hipster fashion, the same way the late 90s were the decline of grunge fashion. I think, general fashion of the early-mid 2010s will also begin to change around the latter part of 2016.

I just hope it looks good. Pop culture (in general, not just fashion) of the early-mid 2010s is nauseating.

Written By: Smiley on 01/05/16 at 6:52 pm

i already see a changing pop culture. there's a new movie coming out "the 5th wave" which has a ton of young actors i haven't heard of. mainstream music also seems like it is becoming dubstep inspired.fashion is becoming brighter colors i think

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/05/16 at 9:53 pm

i already see a changing pop culture. there's a new movie coming out "the 5th wave" which has a ton of young actors i haven't heard of. mainstream music also seems like it is becoming dubstep inspired.fashion is becoming brighter colors i think

Dubstep inspired? You mean real dubstep (from the late 90s/early 00s) or the horrible mainstream dubstep (aka brostep) we got in the early 2010s? Because brostep had it's time in 2012, and to be honest, it should stay in 2012. Pop music inspired by old school dubstep, would be quite interesting.

As for that movie, The 5th Wave, it looks very mid 2010s. Nothing new there, but that's not surprising. It's likely that 2016 will mostly be a mid 2010s year, anyway.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/05/16 at 10:04 pm

There are very few huge changes in popular culture, with the exception of fashion as that changes on a regular basis. But it takes a while to notice differences from the past. Typically things start to feel pretty old at about the five year range though, and 2011 is just starting to feel out of tune with current styles.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/05/16 at 11:21 pm

There are very few huge changes in popular culture, with the exception of fashion as that changes on a regular basis. But it takes a while to notice differences from the past. Typically things start to feel pretty old at about the five year range though, and 2011 is just starting to feel out of tune with current styles.

There is usually a significant shift once per generation in my opinion (1968, 1993, 2009).  The big shift for Millennials has already happened.  The next major shift will be when core Gen Z are in their young adult years, which will be sometime between 2025 and 2030.  Other than that, it does evolve slowly and you usually don't notice the change until about the five year mark.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/06/16 at 4:38 am

There is usually a significant shift once per generation in my opinion (1968, 1993, 2009).  The big shift for Millennials has already happened.  The next major shift will be when core Gen Z are in their young adult years, which will be sometime between 2025 and 2030.  Other than that, it does evolve slowly and you usually don't notice the change until about the five year mark.

That's an interesting opinion. Gotta be honest though, I can't say I agree. I don't think many people on here do either. From what I observed, pop cultural shifts aren't sudden. It's usually a gradual change. For example, you list 1993 as a year that was a significant shift. It could be because I didn't experience this year, but from what I can gather, most of what was popular in 1993 was introduced in either late 1991 or 1992. Same with 1968 and 2009. When people refer to pop cultural changes, they are mostly referring to the first signs of a new culture. It doesn't mean that things suddenly shift. It's just a gradual move to the next era. For example, people say that things will start to change in late 2016. That means the newer trends will be introduced, but they probably won't catch on right away. Over the next year and a half or so, they will continue to grow and grow in popularity. Of course nothing's predictable. 2016 could just be the same as 2014 and 2015, from start to end. But I doubt we have to wait until 2025, until things change.

Written By: #Infinity on 01/06/16 at 6:38 am

That's an interesting opinion. Gotta be honest though, I can't say I agree. I don't think many people on here do either. From what I observed, pop cultural shifts aren't sudden. It's usually a gradual change. For example, you list 1993 as a year that was a significant shift. It could be because I didn't experience this year, but from what I can gather, most of what was popular in 1993 was introduced in either late 1991 or 1992. Same with 1968 and 2009. When people refer to pop cultural changes, they are mostly referring to the first signs of a new culture.

My guess is that he lists 1993 as a major shift because it was when:

* Bill Clinton became President of the United States.
* Hair metal fully dissolved from the mainstream.
* Grunge culture was first fully established.
* Gangsta rap exploded in popularity thanks to "Back to the Hotel" and "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang."
* Beavis & Butthead, Frasier, and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers premiered on television.
* The starting point of what he considers the long era that brought society from analog to digital, ending in 2008.

I agree with you that 1993 was mostly just a continuation and/or peaking of culture already established during the previous two years.  1993 is too late of a starting point for the cultural 90s proper.  There was already a ton of stuff before then that very much defined the 90s, even if most of it only represented the first half of the decade and not the Y2K half.  By the beginning of 1992, the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo were at the forefront of the video gaming industry, Street Fighter II had been out for almost a year (Mortal Kombat was on its way), Nirvana was completely ruling the charts, new-jack swing had evolved out of its gated-drum era, house was a primary influence of popular music, The Simpsons and Seinfeld had both fully established their respective identities, the first wave of Nicktoons were revolutionizing children's cartoons, and the Soviet Union no longer existed.  While 1992 was probably the last full year with a vaguely 80s atmosphere to it, the early 90s were still more than underway by that time.

I agree too with 1968 and 2009.  Although 1968 was a very turbulent year for global headlines, popular culture and even most general attitudes didn't change that much compared to 1967.  2009 is one of the most changeful single years in the past few decade, but even so, the change happened gradually, not all in an instant.

It's definitely much easier to describe shifts in terms of extended periods rather than instantaneous transformations, with the exception of certain global disasters like 9/11 and the Pearl Harbor bombing, but even then, pop culture is never fully constant.  A lot of the time, the exact same date can seem like a completely different era to the same person based simply on where they look within that date.  For example, both Nirvana's Nevermind, as well as Bryan Adams' Waking Up the Neighbors came out in the United States on September 24, 1991.  If you focused on the former, then 9/24/91 seems like a completely and utterly 90s year.  On the other hand, the latter album was roughly just as successful upon its release as Nevermind, but unlike that album, it emanates a strong 80s ambiance and hardly even sounds different from the same artist's You Want It, You Got It, which was released a decade prior.  The two styles completely clash with each other, reflective of how late 1991 is impossible to consistently categorize musically, except by arbitrarily weighing the presence of the new versus that of the old.  Personally, I can't pinpoint the exact dates when I think each new decade sub-era began and ended, so I'm pretty loose with my perspective, even though I like to at least frame things by season.

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/06/16 at 12:30 pm

My guess is that he lists 1993 as a major shift because it was when:

* Bill Clinton became President of the United States.
* Hair metal fully dissolved from the mainstream.
* Grunge culture was first fully established.
* Gangsta rap exploded in popularity thanks to "Back to the Hotel" and "Nuthin' But a 'G' Thang."
* Beavis & Butthead, Frasier, and Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers premiered on television.
* The starting point of what he considers the long era that brought society from analog to digital, ending in 2008.

I agree with you that 1993 was mostly just a continuation and/or peaking of culture already established during the previous two years.  1993 is too late of a starting point for the cultural 90s proper.  There was already a ton of stuff before then that very much defined the 90s, even if most of it only represented the first half of the decade and not the Y2K half.  By the beginning of 1992, the Sega Genesis and Super Nintendo were at the forefront of the video gaming industry, Street Fighter II had been out for almost a year (Mortal Kombat was on its way), Nirvana was completely ruling the charts, new-jack swing had evolved out of its gated-drum era, house was a primary influence of popular music, The Simpsons and Seinfeld had both fully established their respective identities, the first wave of Nicktoons were revolutionizing children's cartoons, and the Soviet Union no longer existed.  While 1992 was probably the last full year with a vaguely 80s atmosphere to it, the early 90s were still more than underway by that time.

I agree too with 1968 and 2009.  Although 1968 was a very turbulent year for global headlines, popular culture and even most general attitudes didn't change that much compared to 1967.  2009 is one of the most changeful single years in the past few decade, but even so, the change happened gradually, not all in an instant.

It's definitely much easier to describe shifts in terms of extended periods rather than instantaneous transformations, with the exception of certain global disasters like 9/11 and the Pearl Harbor bombing, but even then, pop culture is never fully constant.  A lot of the time, the exact same date can seem like a completely different era to the same person based simply on where they look within that date.  For example, both Nirvana's Nevermind, as well as Bryan Adams' Waking Up the Neighbors came out in the United States on September 24, 1991.  If you focused on the former, then 9/24/91 seems like a completely and utterly 90s year.  On the other hand, the latter album was roughly just as successful upon its release as Nevermind, but unlike that album, it emanates a strong 80s ambiance and hardly even sounds different from the same artist's You Want It, You Got It, which was released a decade prior.  The two styles completely clash with each other, reflective of how late 1991 is impossible to consistently categorize musically, except by arbitrarily weighing the presence of the new versus that of the old.  Personally, I can't pinpoint the exact dates when I think each new decade sub-era began and ended, so I'm pretty loose with my perspective, even though I like to at least frame things by season.

Yeah, this is pretty spot on.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/16 at 12:46 pm

Was 1983 the real start of the 80's then?

Written By: the2001 on 01/06/16 at 1:14 pm

Beige, Dark green and sandstone will be creeping in ala the Yeezy colorways,  Balmain is still a major player in dresses due to Kendel and Kylie Jenner, because of this other brands like ZARA will replicate its design.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/16 at 5:17 pm

Was 1983 the real start of the 80's then?

No, that was 1981. ;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/06/16 at 6:28 pm

No, that was 1981. ;D

MTV?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/06/16 at 6:32 pm

MTV?

Yeah, that's definitely one of the reasons!

Written By: Howard on 01/07/16 at 3:57 pm

No, that was 1981. ;D

August 1st 1981 to be exact.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/07/16 at 4:02 pm

How can you expect then when it is in the past, to expect is in the future?

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/08/16 at 9:14 am

Things were already pretty 80's by time MTV hit the airwaves. ;D

Written By: Howard on 01/08/16 at 3:24 pm

Things were already pretty 80's by time MTV hit the airwaves. ;D

and after that pop culture was in effect.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/08/16 at 5:23 pm

I'm going to let the chips fall where they may. While I wish trap rap and the last of teen pop would go away, I really don't think there's a need for a big change at the moment. I believe we're finally picking ourselves back up and some quality songs and albums are really receiving the attention that they deserve.

If there is going to be a big shift sometime soon, it's probably going to happen because of the age of current trends. Our overall music trends started in 2009, but we've evolved a tremendous amount since then. Our current music charts and hits have been refreshing. Not in terms of being new or different (although there are a few of those), but in terms of the quality itself.

Since shifts tend to occur fairly closely to the change in Presidents, then I find it realistic that 2017 will probably be the year that completely breaks away from 2009.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/09/16 at 12:51 am

If there is going to be a big shift sometime soon, it's probably going to happen because of the age of current trends. Our overall music trends started in 2009, but we've evolved a tremendous amount since then. Our current music charts and hits have been refreshing. Not in terms of being new or different (although there are a few of those), but in terms of the quality itself.

Since shifts tend to occur fairly closely to the change in Presidents, then I find it realistic that 2017 will probably be the year that completely breaks away from 2009.

Actually today's musical trends started in 2013.  Music from 2009-2012 was quite different compared to today and much better.

Outside of music, yes, 2009 and 2010 birthed most of today's culture.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/16 at 8:22 am

Actually today's musical trends started in 2013.  Music from 2009-2012 was quite different compared to today and much better.

I agree. I heard that Rhianna song on the radio where she sings "oooh na na" or whatever and I couldn't believe how dated it sounded!! I looked it up and it came out in 2010! Makes 2010 feel even more like a 2000's year than a 2010's year.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/16 at 9:39 am

I don't agree that it was better, but music is subjective. 2010 and 2012 are for sure inferior to the music of the past few years. 2009 wasn't that great either. 2011 was the best year of that time period. The music trends are mostly the same as those since 2009, but the sound has changed a lot.

I agree. I heard that Rhianna song on the radio where she sings "oooh na na" or whatever and I couldn't believe how dated it sounded!! I looked it up and it came out in 2010! Makes 2010 feel even more like a 2000's year than a 2010's year.

Hard? S&M? What was the title?

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/16 at 10:54 am

I agree, although, most of 2015 has surprisingly been an improvement over 2013 and 2014. Let's hope that'll continue throughout this new year as well.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/09/16 at 12:04 pm

What's my name (oh na na)

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/16 at 12:25 pm

What's my name (oh na na)

That already sounds like a Rihanna song without even thinking about it.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 01/09/16 at 12:26 pm

That already sounds like a Rihanna song without even thinking about it.
;D ;D ;D ;D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/16 at 1:00 pm

What's My Name (Oh Na Na) as xXCrashXx said.

She's has songs titled Hard and S&M? Rhianna is into some weird sh!t.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/16 at 2:52 pm

;D ;D ;D ;D

These are some of the Rihanna songs (or featuring her) I remember listening to a lot.

UY6mr9fO-9M U0CGsw6h60k

e82VE8UtW8A uelHwf8o7_U

EHkozMIXZ8w lWA2pjMjpBs

Written By: Howard on 01/09/16 at 5:47 pm

Is it "Say My Name"? ???

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/16 at 6:41 pm

Is it "Say My Name"? ???

That's from Destiny's Child. "What's My Name" is a Rihanna song that was released a decade later and is a better song.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/16 at 8:05 pm

There are a few differences between music now and 2009-2012, but the overall and feeling of music and everything else is still similar to 2009 today. I think in a couple years when huge changes happens we will realize this era has a lot of similarities to 2009.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/16 at 8:38 pm

These are some of the Rihanna songs (or featuring her) I remember listening to a lot.

Awful Rihanna songs

She is a lot worse than I thought she was. 8-P

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/16 at 8:49 pm

I like "Live Your Life", "Love The Way You Lie", and "The Monster".

"Rude Boy" was terrible but catchy though.

I'd take her music along with Katy Perry any day over teenybopper songs though.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/16 at 8:54 pm

I like "Live Your Life", "Love The Way You Lie", and "The Monster".

"Rude Boy" was terrible but catchy though.

I'd take her music along with Katy Perry any day over teenybopper songs though.

I think I'd rather listen to Limp Bizkit.

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/16 at 8:57 pm

Katy Perry is the greatest pop singer of our times.

I wish she released International Smile instead of This Is How We Do in the summer, but you know, as they say, God(dess) works in mysterious ways.

Written By: mqg96 on 01/09/16 at 9:15 pm

I wish she released International Smile instead of This Is How We Do in the summer, but you know, as they say, God(dess) works in mysterious ways.

Some of my favorites from Katy Perry are "Fireworks", "Wide Awake", and "Dark Horse". 

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/16 at 9:25 pm

You're showing your age, dude! ;)

Written By: 2001 on 01/09/16 at 9:28 pm

Some of my favorites from Katy Perry are "Fireworks", "Wide Awake", and "Dark Horse".

Same! I also liked Teenage Dream, Hot 'N' Cold, and I also like to play Birthday when it's anyone's birthday lol. That's more because I needed a replacement for Rihanna's Birthday Cake though.

edit: Oh yeah, and TGIF! That song was fun to dance to in freshman year  :D

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/09/16 at 9:31 pm

You're showing your age, dude! ;)

I do that often, don't I? ;D

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/10/16 at 12:30 pm

When do you think the musical trends that started in 2013, will die out?

Written By: musicguy93 on 01/10/16 at 12:35 pm

Considering how awful pop music is in this current era, being the greatest pop singer of our times is not saying much. And to be honest, she isn't that great of a singer. I've seen a clip of her singing live. Not a good idea  8-P

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/10/16 at 1:33 pm

When do you think the musical trends that started in 2013, will die out?

I don't want them to. I like most of the music trends of 2013-present.

Considering how awful pop music is in this current era, being the greatest pop singer of our times is not saying much. And to be honest, she isn't that great of a singer. I've seen a clip of her singing live. Not a good idea  8-P

2001 may have been ironic. Katy Perty is nowhere near the greatest singer of our times.

Written By: Howard on 01/10/16 at 3:41 pm

and her videos are just as worse.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/10/16 at 3:44 pm

and her videos are just as worse.

The only one I've seen is where she is in the convenience store and Drake, looking like a douchebag, starts hitting on her. She get's all fluttery and drops the milk for whatever reason and it spills all over the place. What a dumb video. Oh, just remembered I also saw that one where she has the tape on her nipples. I don't remember the name of the song but I saw it on MTV2 back in 2009.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/16 at 7:57 pm

2001 may have been ironic. Katy Perty is nowhere near the greatest singer of our times.

More extreme hyperbole than ironic. Being a blind Katy Perry fanboy was my shtick in my early university years.  ;D

But I like her live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJOfo9GRQn0

Changed my life. I still cry whenver I hear this.

jk

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/10/16 at 8:07 pm

More extreme hyperbole than ironic. Being a blind Katy Perry fanboy was my shtick in my early university years.  ;D

But I like her live!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VJOfo9GRQn0

Changed my life. I still cry whenver I hear this.

jk

I Kissed a Boy changed my life.

Written By: 2001 on 01/10/16 at 9:50 pm

I Kissed a Boy changed my life.

It's I Kissed A Girl!

I remember when I heard it for the first time, I thought it was a rock song  ;D It has the rebel elements and the guitar in it, and my radio may or may not have had a lot of static.

Written By: JordanK1982 on 01/10/16 at 10:17 pm

It's I Kissed A Girl!

I remember when I heard it for the first time, I thought it was a rock song  ;D It has the rebel elements and the guitar in it, and my radio may or may not have had a lot of static.

Ooooh, right! The Cobra Starship version is I Kissed a Boy! Now I remember!

Cobra Starship is an awful band but their singer used to be in a really good Pop Punk band called Midtown. Their first two albums are rad.

I don't even remember what I thought when I first heard the song except for "she stole this idea from Jill Sobule!!"

Check for new replies or respond here...