inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is Breaking Bad the "Miami Vice" of the 2010s?

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/05/14 at 2:02 pm

I was thinking how the plot is similar and Walter White in many ways is kinda a bit like Don Johnson. Then again, there are some differences, Breaking Bad didn't have the same influence on music and fashion the way Miami Vice did but both shows IMO sort of define their respective decades. I know Breaking Bad started in 2008 but I feel like it and Mad Men set the tone for the style of TV shows today - filmed in more of a "documentary" style.

Subject: Re: Is Breaking Bad the "Miami Vice" of the 2010s?

Written By: snozberries on 10/05/14 at 4:01 pm

That's a bit of a stretch.... Breaking bad is pretty superior to Miami  Vice

There were 114 eps of Miami Vice and 62 eps of Breaking Bad

Miami vice won 4 Emmys out of 20 nominations (most were cinematography, art direction and sound editing)
Only Edward James Olmos walked away with a best supporting actor Emmy

Breaking bad won 16 out of 58 nominations and it consistenly won Bryan Cranston multiple best actor, Aaron Lewis multiple best supporting actor and Vince Gillian multiple best awards.  It won all the major awards at this year's Emmys.

Miami Vice was flashy....breaking Bad was good.

Written By: danootaandme on 10/05/14 at 6:19 pm

I couldn't get past the first seasons of either one.

Written By: Jquar on 10/05/14 at 11:36 pm

Miami Vice was trendier and stylish, Breaking Bad was far more serious and thought provoking IMO. Much more acclaimed, too.

Check for new replies or respond here...