inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Christopher Nolan's Interstellar to open early, on film (IMAX, 70mm, 35mm)

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 10/05/14 at 9:00 pm

http://www.cinemablend.com/new/Why-Movie-Theater-Owners-Pissed-Off-Christopher-Nolan-67519.html

The latest film from Christopher Nolan -- the auteur director of Doodlebug, Following, Memento, Insomnia, The Dark Knight Trilogy, The Prestige, and Inception -- and Paramount/Warner Bros. will release the director's latest opus, Interstellar, earlier than its official release, in select theaters. As early as November 4, these select theaters will screen the film in any of the following three formats:

IMAX 15-perf/70mm

This is the film's native format (also shot in 35mm). This is the ideal way to see the film, if you can. Think The Dark Knight, Transformers 2 (or, rather, forget that one. :P), The Dark Knight Rises, Catching Fire, and Star Trek Into Darkness.

Traditional 5-perf/70mm

Think Lawrence of Arabia, 2001, The Sound of Music, Ben Hur, Tron, Kenneth Branagh's Hamlet, and The Master.

35mm

The cinema standard before those digital Barbarians ( ;D j/k) gradually took over.

Then on November 7, the film will open everywhere else in the (many will say inferior) digital versions, 2K, 4K, and IMAX Digital.

Too bad I'm out of luck unless I can pester my local theaters. Or else go to Tulsa, Dallas, or even Branson. But that'd be a long distance and $$$.

If your theater isn't participating in this "film only" event, then I encourage you to pester your local theater (politely and civilly). Tell that to, at the very, very least play it in 35mm if nothing else. Digital IMAX screens should be fully capable of playing 5-perf 70mm.

Check for new replies or respond here...