inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: What happened to the Disco sound from 2013?

Written By: Slim95 on 10/09/14 at 2:14 am

I'm wondering has anyone noticed that new kind of disco style music of last year is totally gone? Like the songs Get Lucky, Suit and Tie, Treasure, Blurred Lines, Thrift Shop, etc. Why did this style of music get phased out so quickly? This year it felt like it went back to the same female pop and electropop sound like before. It would of been nice if they kept that sound.  :(

Subject: Re: What happened to the Disco sound from 2013?

Written By: XYkid on 10/09/14 at 2:40 am

It was a brief fad, nothing more.

Written By: LyricBoy on 10/09/14 at 2:57 am

I'm wondering has anyone noticed that new kind of disco style music of last year is totally gone? Like the songs Get Lucky, Suit and Tie, Treasure, Blurred Lines, Thrift Shop, etc. Why did this style of music get phased out so quickly? This year it felt like it went back to the same female pop and electropop sound like before. It would of been nice if they kept that sound.  :(

For a while last year, I was hoping that the Bee Gee would come out with a monster disco hit and bring back the good times again.  8)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/09/14 at 7:29 am

Yeah, the disco sound definitely made 2013 music more unique in comparison to 2014 which was similar to 2010-12, music-wise.

However, why do you think "Thrift Shop" was disco?

Written By: Howard on 10/09/14 at 3:07 pm

For a while last year, I was hoping that the Bee Gee would come out with a monster disco hit and bring back the good times again.  8)

or maybe you'll hear it in a mix.

Written By: amjikloviet on 10/09/14 at 3:43 pm

There was a Disco sound last year? I really had not noticed that...where was I? :o

Written By: Howard on 10/09/14 at 3:55 pm

There was a Disco sound last year? I really had not noticed that...where was I? :o

me neither.  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 10/09/14 at 4:08 pm

Thrift Shop more like the Hip-Hop version of it but there were some disco elements in it. But like I said, songs like Get Lucky, Blurred Lines, Treasure, Suit and Tie, Safe and Sound. It was very noticable. Too bad it's gone, it was a nice change.  :P

Written By: Jquar on 10/09/14 at 5:15 pm

Other than a few big songs (Treasure, Get Lucky), I don't really think there was much of a Disco throwback element to the music last year. Certainly not enough to distinguish it as an actual trend. So you can't draw very much from that.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/09/14 at 5:25 pm

Other than a few big songs (Treasure, Get Lucky), I don't really think there was much of a Disco throwback element to the music last year. Certainly not enough to distinguish it as an actual trend. So you can't draw very much from that.

No, not an actual trend, but at least over here in Europe, those few songs were pretty dominant for some months - so they will always remind me of 2013.

Written By: Emman on 10/09/14 at 7:07 pm

Disco was not "revived" because there was nothing to revive it from in the first place, we've been having continuous disco revivals in music since the late '90s.

Daft Punk already revisited disco(and prog rock) on their 2001 album Discovery and other house groups like Modjo were doing similar music at the time.

The only thing they did that was different on RAM was that they more directly ripped off Chic and The Eagles.

Where the hell has originality gone?

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/10/14 at 11:19 am

Thrift Shop more like the Hip-Hop version of it but there were some disco elements in it. But like I said, songs like Get Lucky, Blurred Lines, Treasure, Suit and Tie, Safe and Sound. It was very noticable. Too bad it's gone, it was a nice change.  :P

I think Safe and Sound is more Synthpop than Disco.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/11/14 at 12:17 pm

I agree.  I wish dubstep would have lasted a little longer because it was something that was genuinely new.  I really liked where music was going on the early '10s and then everything decent faded and we were left with pretty much Katy Perry and clones.  I agree that disco has had periods of declining popularity and revivals but really has not completely died.  A lot of house music can trace its roots back to disco.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 10/11/14 at 12:22 pm

I think Safe and Sound is more Synthpop than Disco.

Yes, it is.

Written By: tv on 10/11/14 at 4:53 pm

Disco was not "revived" because there was nothing to revive it from in the first place, we've been having continuous disco revivals in music since the late '90s.

Daft Punk already revisited disco(and prog rock) on their 2001 album Discovery and other house groups like Modjo were doing similar music at the time.

The only thing they did that was different on RAM was that they more directly ripped off Chic and The Eagles.

Weird you would include Chic in your post. Nile Rodgers of Chic was in a music video with Daft Punk and Pharell in 2013. 

Maybe the "Disco Revival"  of 2013 was to "The Swing Band" revival  back in the 90's in that it didn't last very long.

"Treasure" does sound 1981-1982 Pop/R&B more than it does disco though.

Written By: Howard on 10/11/14 at 5:59 pm

I want the disco sound from 1977 back.  :D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/14/14 at 6:58 pm

Nothing happened, for disco music disappeared long before.

Written By: Howard on 10/15/14 at 2:52 pm

Nothing happened, for disco music disappeared long before.

It disappeared over 33 years ago.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/04/15 at 2:20 pm

Looks like it's back yet again.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OPf0YbXqDm0

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/04/15 at 2:35 pm

Yay, funk  :)
Reminds me of Kool & The Gang

Written By: Howard on 01/04/15 at 2:48 pm

Yay, funk  :)
Reminds me of Kool & The Gang

Uptown Funk has that early 80's vibe.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/15 at 12:06 pm

The only song that you mentioned that is actually disco is "Get Lucky". I think that it was just a fad, and now funk music is slowly starting to come back. If disco itself does come back, I'm not going to consider 2013 the year that the trend started. It died down by the end of the year.

Check for new replies or respond here...