inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are magazines dying or dead?

Written By: Sita0 on 10/19/14 at 1:16 pm

I used to read magazines (for those young kids out there, they were sheets of paper attached together that generally covered a specific topic). However, it seems magazines are always behind the times and never really read anymore. Is the form dead?

Subject: Re: Are magazines dying or dead?

Written By: nally on 10/19/14 at 2:14 pm

Not really; I still see them in stores (including bookstores; in fact I went to one such place just the other night). Also I am currently subscribed to one, so... the medium is still active.

Written By: Sita0 on 10/19/14 at 2:41 pm

Not really; I still see them in stores (including bookstores; in fact I went to one such place just the other night). Also I am currently subscribed to one, so... the medium is still active.

Maybe it's what I do, then. I'm mainly into computers and such, and that's a rapidly-changing field.

Written By: Howard on 10/19/14 at 3:00 pm

I used to read magazines (for those young kids out there, they were sheets of paper attached together that generally covered a specific topic). However, it seems magazines are always behind the times and never really read anymore. Is the form dead?

No not really I still see them on bookshelves but now I'm seeing less books so I'm guessing people must be using more Kindles and Nooks.

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/20/14 at 1:02 am

I think there's always gonna be a market for them.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/20/14 at 5:16 am

Gossip magazines are selling by the bin load!

Written By: Howard on 10/20/14 at 2:41 pm

Gossip magazines are selling by the bin load!

In Supermarkets.

Written By: Howard on 10/20/14 at 2:43 pm

I don't think they're dead, people can continue to read them wherever magazines are available.

Written By: 80sfan on 10/20/14 at 3:03 pm

Not yet, people still buy them a lot!

Written By: Slim95 on 10/21/14 at 2:17 am

I thought they were already dead.  ??? I must be too young. I get all my news online.

Written By: Howard on 10/21/14 at 3:02 pm

I thought they were already dead.  ??? I must be too young. I get all my news online.

You don't get the newspaper delivered? ???

Written By: Howard on 10/21/14 at 3:02 pm

I think there are some magazines that you can read online.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/21/14 at 3:25 pm

You don't get the newspaper delivered? ???

What's a Newspaper?  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/14 at 9:48 pm

Do you mean comics more than magazines?

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/21/14 at 9:50 pm

I think there are some magazines that you can read online.
Magazines can be read anywhere and any time the Internet is not available, like reading on a bus, train or plane.

Written By: KatanaChick on 10/21/14 at 10:20 pm

Back in high school I used to get Teen and Seventeen magazines every month. Now I just get Reader's Digest because I like the stories. Sometimes it's better to read something that's doesn't waste battery life.

Written By: Howard on 10/22/14 at 2:39 pm

What's a Newspaper?  ;D

you're kidding, right?  ???

::)

Written By: Howard on 10/22/14 at 2:41 pm

Back in high school I used to get Teen and Seventeen magazines every month. Now I just get Reader's Digest because I like the stories. Sometimes it's better to read something that's doesn't waste battery life.

That's the way I like it, reading a magazine that doesn't waste battery life.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/22/14 at 9:21 pm

What's a Newspaper?  ;D
In London we have a free newspaper, which can be collect from stands in Tube Stations. These newspaper are read by commuters and the like on their journeys on the public transport system.

Written By: Sita0 on 10/22/14 at 10:50 pm

In London we have a free newspaper, which can be collect from stands in Tube Stations. These newspaper are read by commuters and the like on their journeys on the public transport system.

We have those in New York as well. They're mostly in very niche topics and/or are low-budget and/or poorly written. Nobody reads them, which is why they give them away.

And I mainly mean computing magazines for myself, less comic books.

Written By: popguru85 on 10/22/14 at 11:20 pm

I subscribe to Rolling Stone and read it on the train when I commute to class. I like having the physical media in my hand

Written By: Howard on 10/23/14 at 3:22 pm

Is it a good read?

Written By: Howard on 10/23/14 at 3:23 pm

We have those in New York as well. They're mostly in very niche topics and/or are low-budget and/or poorly written. Nobody reads them, which is why they give them away.

And I mainly mean computing magazines for myself, less comic books.

They usually have them at or near train stations for free, a small little newspaper.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 10/24/14 at 12:17 pm

There was a time when I had a magazine service. For one price I got my choice of 10 magazines-and I could change the magazines any time I wanted if I didn't like one. I got a lot magazines that I don't think exist anymore like Omni. The problem with it was the fact that half the time, I didn't even read them. After the service ran out, I only bought subscriptions to a couple of them that I really liked.

Funny story about that magazine service. I got Playboy & Penthouse for my first husband. But, since the service was in my name, the magazines came in my name. Then my marriage ended and I was stationed in Greece. I hadn't had a chance to change the magazines yet so I was getting those magazines. I'm sure the people who ran the Post Office (people I worked with) wondered why I was getting these magazine.  :o :o :D ;D ;D ;D  There were plenty of guys on base who gladly took those magazines until I could change it to something that I liked. 

Today, I only read magazines in doctors' offices, when I'm getting my hair done, etc. I have noticed that a lot of the magazines are a lot thinner than they used to be. Even Parade Magazine in the Sunday newspaper is much thinner than it used to be. I guess they are having a hard time finding content.

Cat

Check for new replies or respond here...