inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Most '00s sounding '10s artist?

Written By: bchris02 on 10/29/14 at 11:56 pm

I would have to go with Iggy Azalea.  Although she is a pure '10s artist, most of her songs sound like they could have been released anywhere in the 2003-06 era.  Thoughts?

Subject: Re: Most '00s sounding '10s artist?

Written By: Jquar on 10/30/14 at 3:20 pm

Maybe I'm out of touch, but pretty much all of today's pop artists sound like they could be from 2009. I don't see much great progress in music since then.

Written By: Slim95 on 10/31/14 at 2:49 am

In mainstream music? I can't think of any... Some songs may sound like it's from the 00's but I can't think of any mainstream 10's artist who sound like the 00's in majority of their music. Mainstream music all has the same sound these days. In underground music though there are many 10's artists who sound 00's...

Written By: winteriscoming on 10/31/14 at 8:47 am

Maybe I'm out of touch, but pretty much all of today's pop artists sound like they could be from 2009. I don't see much great progress in music since then.

True but I think that's more a case of "this era" beginning in 2009. Then again I feel like 2014 has sort of been a step backwards for music, a lot of the stuff today sounds more like music from 2007 than like stuff from a couple years ago. Like "No Flex Zone" by Rae Sremmurd.  ;D

Written By: Jquar on 10/31/14 at 5:19 pm

True but I think that's more a case of "this era" beginning in 2009. Then again I feel like 2014 has sort of been a step backwards for music, a lot of the stuff today sounds more like music from 2007 than like stuff from a couple years ago. Like "No Flex Zone" by Rae Sremmurd.  ;D

Yeah, and rap like "Hot N*gga" could easily be from 2006 or something. I'm just not seeing this advancement. There has been more alternative stuff in the mainstream since about 2011, but it's still not the norm. A lot of today's most popular artists are still very tied to the electropop wave that rode in between 2005 and 2008, and the production patterns remain similar.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/14 at 6:01 pm

Yeah, and rap like "Hot N*gga" could easily be from 2006 or something. I'm just not seeing this advancement. There has been more alternative stuff in the mainstream since about 2011, but it's still not the norm. A lot of today's most popular artists are still very tied to the electropop wave that rode in between 2005 and 2008, and the production patterns remain similar.

I see little similarity to the 2005-08 era in today's music other than a few songs.  Most of today's music is heavily tied to Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, Cascada, Katy Perry, etc from late 2008 onward.  My point in creating this thread is that Iggy Azalea is super popular with today's teens despite being similar in style to a mid-2000s rapper.  I would also put 2-Chainz in that category. Rae Sremmurd and Bobby Shmurda on the other hand don't really have the mass appeal that many rappers did in the mid-00s and you pretty much only hear them on urban radio.

I will say hip-hop that is played on urban radio has gone backwards since the 2008-12 era.  I liked the EDM influence and more interesting beats it was starting to take on in 2008 and 2009 and that has all but disappeared.  A lot of hip-hop today is pretty bland sounding.

Written By: Jquar on 10/31/14 at 6:33 pm

Well when you say '00s sounding, you realize that 2007, 2008, and 2009 were a part of that decade, right?

Kanye released Graduation in 2007 and that pretty much paved the way for the electro surge in hip hop since then.

You also had MGMT's Oracular Spectacular that year, which helped pushed indie-electronic stuff further into the spotlight.

Arcade Fire, Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z, Rihanna, OneRepublic, Arctic Monkeys, Eminem, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, Maroon 5, Rihanna, Pink... all are still popular and were releasing stuff in that 2005-08 period. So lots of remaining musical ties to the last decade in the last year or two. And again, stylistically the production standards have changed little since 2007-08. Just not seeing this huge distinction. Electronic music has definitely gotten bigger, but it was definitely around in the last decade too.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/31/14 at 6:41 pm

Well when you say '00s sounding, you realize that 2007, 2008, and 2009 were a part of that decade, right?

Kanye released Graduation in 2007 and that pretty much paved the way for the electro surge in hip hop since then.

You also had MGMT's Oracular Spectacular that year, which helped pushed indie-electronic stuff further into the spotlight.

Arcade Fire, Justin Timberlake, Jay-Z, Rihanna, OneRepublic, Arctic Monkeys, Eminem, Coldplay, Fall Out Boy, Maroon 5, Rihanna, Pink... all are still popular and were releasing stuff in that 2005-08 period. So lots of remaining musical ties to the last decade in the last year or two. And again, stylistically the production standards have changed little since 2007-08. Just not seeing this huge distinction. Electronic music has definitely gotten bigger, but it was definitely around in the last decade too.

I guess it depends on where you live.

Where I live hip-hop is out.  My town doesn't even have an urban radio station though if the weather is right I can sometimes pick up the one from the nearest major city.  I try to listen when I can.  In Top 40 though there are a few hip-hop artists still going strong but most of what you hear in urban radio is no longer crossing over to Top 40.  Some of the hip-hop artists you have listed have had hits recently but they haven't charted near as well as their '00s stuff did.  Others haven't had anything in a few years.  My local radio station has a few rap songs sprinkled in but for the most part everything EDM, pop, or boy bands.  Likewise in the mid-2000s nobody would admit listening to electronic music, then referred to as trance or techno, because it was seen as "gay." 

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 11/01/14 at 12:26 pm

I would have to go with Iggy Azalea.  Although she is a pure '10s artist, most of her songs sound like they could have been released anywhere in the 2003-06 era.  Thoughts?

BChris02, I agree with you on that one. "Fancy" sounds a lot like something Gwen Stefani would put out.

Written By: XYkid on 01/03/15 at 10:40 pm

I would say Halestorm is the most 2000s sounding rock artist in mainstream rock right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJAmlnBxoA

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 01/03/15 at 11:30 pm

I would say Halestorm is the most 2000s sounding rock artist in mainstream rock right now...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YpJAmlnBxoA

Any "rock" sounding rock music sounds dated now, even things like 5 Seconds of Summer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X2BYmmTI04I

Even though the backing vocals and production are very similar to modern pop and indie rock.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/03/15 at 11:33 pm

That song "Ain't it fun" by Paramore sounds very 00s.

Written By: yearofthemonkey on 01/04/15 at 3:14 am

Pretty much any song with distorted guitars and syncopation sounds 00's.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/04/15 at 7:07 am

Ariola Grande's "Problem" could have been a hit in the 00's, probably during the ascent of Lady GooGoo.

Written By: XYkid on 01/04/15 at 12:49 pm

That song "Ain't it fun" by Paramore sounds very 00s.
But it sounds nothing like their stuff from their Riot! album

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/15 at 12:09 pm

But it sounds nothing like their stuff from their Riot! album

I agree. "Ain't It Fun" is distinctly 2010s. It's one of my favorite songs of the decade (so far...).

Written By: Slim95 on 01/09/15 at 2:43 pm

I agree. "Ain't It Fun" is distinctly 2010s. It's one of my favorite songs of the decade (so far...).

Ain't it fun sounds like it came straight from 2006.. I swear if I heard it on the radio without knowing what song it was I would think it came from that time period for sure.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/09/15 at 3:21 pm

Ain't it fun sounds like it came straight from 2006.. I swear if I heard it on the radio without knowing what song it was I would think it came from that time period for sure.

Maybe to you, but not to me...  ;)

Written By: winteriscoming on 01/18/15 at 6:18 pm

Maybe to you, but not to me...  ;)

I agree, it's more indie hipster than emo.

Written By: Slim95 on 01/18/15 at 6:34 pm

I agree, it's more indie hipster than emo.

To me the instruments used, melody and background music sound 00s. It doesn't sound Emo though.

Written By: XYkid on 01/18/15 at 9:13 pm

To me the instruments used, melody and background music sound 00s. It doesn't sound Emo though.
I can see what you mean though, compared to other songs in pop music, it could have come out nearly a decade ago and no one would bat an eye. Regardless of that however, Paramore sounded NOTHING like that in 2006. Just listen to their first album for proof.

Written By: tv on 02/04/15 at 1:52 am

Ariola Grande's "Problem" could have been a hit in the 00's, probably during the ascent of Lady GooGoo.
Yeah but that was very late 00' s though.

Written By: 97er on 02/22/15 at 11:49 am

There's a song by a guy named Prince Royce ,"Stuck on a Feelng" that sounds super 2000s to me.

Written By: XYkid on 02/22/15 at 6:21 pm

There's a song by a guy named Prince Royce ,"Stuck on a Feelng" that sounds super 2000s to me.
Latino artists are usually 5-10 years behind America in music trends.

Written By: 97er on 02/22/15 at 8:33 pm

So true. Latino pop is always behind and really generic too.

Written By: winteriscoming on 02/25/15 at 2:11 am

Kpop is more like 20 or 30 years behind.  ;D This song is from 2009 but sounds like something SAW would have written for Kylie in 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1RPA1zbKRYw

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/05/15 at 12:04 am

Really? I don't think it sounds 2000s at all. Actually, it sounds current to me.

Check for new replies or respond here...