inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Can you believe we're halfway through the decade?

Written By: Slim95 on 11/04/14 at 1:44 pm

I can't believe it. Time flies! It doesn't feel long ago when the decade started and it was New Years Day 2010. I guess as you grow older time goes by quicker and considering this is my second full decade of being on earth, remembering the first half of 2000s when I was little felt like it lasted a super long time. Do you think we've reached the peak of the 2010s culture yet? Or do you think we'll see some more significant changes happen in the second half of the decade? Still can't believe we're already over halfway through the decade.  :o

Subject: Re: Can you believe we're halfway through the decade?

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/04/14 at 2:20 pm

I know. I was just in my junior year of high school when 2010 began. Time has passed quickly that we don't even know what's going on. As for the question, I say we have reached the peak because Edm is everywhere in music. Too many reality shows. The youngest generation is rising. And we haven't thought of anything new yet. Hopefully soon we have more genres of music again and not just edm. We actually need a variety of everything. I feel like next year there will be a huge change in pop culture.

Written By: Philip Eno on 11/04/14 at 8:09 pm

Time goes by so slowly and time can do so much.

Written By: winteriscoming on 11/04/14 at 8:22 pm

The beginning of 2010 doesn't seem that long ago until I think of stuff I was actually doing then, then I'm like holy crap it WAS 5 years ago and I was younger!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 11/04/14 at 8:57 pm

Are you still mine?
I need your love
I need your love
God speed your love to me

Read more: The Righteous Brothers - Unchained Melody Lyrics |

Written By: Howard on 11/05/14 at 1:48 pm

I can't believe it. Time flies! It doesn't feel long ago when the decade started and it was New Years Day 2010. I guess as you grow older time goes by quicker and considering this is my second full decade of being on earth, remembering the first half of 2000s when I was little felt like it lasted a super long time. Do you think we've reached the peak of the 2010s culture yet? Or do you think we'll see some more significant changes happen in the second half of the decade? Still can't believe we're already over halfway through the decade.  :o

I can't believe it either, 2015 is almost here.

Written By: Howard on 11/05/14 at 1:49 pm

I know. I was just in my junior year of high school when 2010 began. Time has passed quickly that we don't even know what's going on. As for the question, I say we have reached the peak because Edm is everywhere in music. Too many reality shows. The youngest generation is rising. And we haven't thought of anything new yet. Hopefully soon we have more genres of music again and not just edm. We actually need a variety of everything. I feel like next year there will be a huge change in pop culture.

I think we need new everything.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 11/06/14 at 9:55 am

I think we need new everything.
Yep. New creative ideas equals better solutions.

Written By: Howard on 11/06/14 at 3:37 pm

Yep. New creative ideas equals better solutions.

new president, new government, new music, new security, everything.

Written By: Foo Bar on 11/06/14 at 9:01 pm

A little obscurity from 30 years ago comes to mind:

There's a new world
There's a new dance
There's a new girl on my mind
There's a new song
There's a new beat
There are new people on the floor

Listen to the voices
Listen what they say
Listen to the voices
Listen what they say

Wakk Digge Dugge Baba Dugge Bamanu (repeat)

New world
New dance
New girl
New song
New beat
New people on my mind

New world
New dance
New girl
New song
New beat
New people on the floor

Listen to the voices
Listen what they say
Listen to the voices
Listen what they say

Wakk Digge Dugge Baba Dugge Bamanu
Listen to the voices
Wakk Digge Dugge Baba Dugge Bamanu
Listen what they say
Wak-wak-wak-wak-dig-wak-dig-wak-dig...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iEdmg8zkxX4
  - Madman Jack, Wakk Digge Dugge Baba Dugge Bamanu, 1984.

Written By: yelimsexa on 11/09/14 at 7:32 am

Being settled with a job, I'll have to say that I'm just not in tune with pop culture, say for stuff that's widely popular and can name the biggest movies/TV shows/songs, but not the more in-depth stuff like I can about '90s/most of the '00s. Since the US has now a Republican-majority Congress but still under Obama, 2015 and 2016 should continue the trends of the early-mid '10s so far. 2017 may have a cultural shift though. But the EDM prevelance now is comparable to New Wave/Synthpop's peak towards the end of 1984, so there are parallels to the '80s here (also some economic improvement following a recession to open both decades along with pain at the gas pump easing). The Millenials are quickly becoming parents now much like the later Baby Boomers were at this time in the '80s, much like my own parents.

Written By: nally on 11/09/14 at 7:37 am

I can't believe it. Time flies! It doesn't feel long ago when the decade started and it was New Years Day 2010. I guess as you grow older time goes by quicker ...

My thoughts exactly. And it'll be 2020 before ya know it!

As for me, I was born in '80, so my single-digit years were the 1980s and they seemed to progress rather slowly... and the 1990s seemed to go by quickly (although slowly at first). And I remember 2000 as if it were a relatively short time ago.

Written By: Howard on 11/09/14 at 1:28 pm

My thoughts exactly. And it'll be 2020 before ya know it!

Yeah, in another 5 more years.

Written By: XYkid on 11/12/14 at 11:42 pm

I'm having a hard time believing 2004 was 10 years ago. I'm 20, and that's the first year that feels somewhat yesterday-like to me.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 11/13/14 at 4:47 pm

I'm having a hard time believing 2004 was 10 years ago. I'm 20, and that's the first year that feels somewhat yesterday-like to me.

To me, anything before fall of 2008 seems forever ago.

Written By: MarkMc1990 on 11/15/14 at 4:55 pm

The passage of time in general is depressing me. So many memories from the 2000s still feel like yesterday to me.

Nintendo 64 still being popular in 2000/2001
Being obsessed with GameCube throughout 2002 and getting my dog that August
Awaiting the release of the first Nintendo DS in 2004
The end of jr. high and the beginning of high school in 2005
Breaking my femur bone in October of 2006
Helping my dad pick out a Christmas tree in December of 2007 and randomly feeling embarrassed because I thought I was "too old"
Taking the ACT test in Spring 2008 and Michael Phelps's historic medal run in the Beijing Summer Olympics
My first semester of college in Fall 2009

Now I'm 24 and it's about to be 2015...I've been out of college for a year and a half and I'm supposed to have started my "adult life" but I don't really feel like I have. Friends -- good friends -- have come and gone. I feel like I have nothing to look forward to at the moment. I wish time would slow down for me.

That was my depressing thought of the day.

Written By: Howard on 11/16/14 at 1:24 pm

I remember when they were advertised on television The PS2 and The PS3, seems like ages ago. :o

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/17/14 at 3:41 pm

To me, this decade is going by very slowly.

Written By: 80sfan on 11/17/14 at 10:29 pm

2002 seems a long time ago to me.

Written By: Howard on 11/18/14 at 1:21 pm

To me, this decade is going by very slowly.

I thought the year 2014 went by so quickly.  :o

Written By: J. Rob on 11/18/14 at 1:48 pm

For me, time has been flying since about 2003, but these last 5 years have been an absolute blur....what's crazy about it though is that they have been mostly pretty dull....you'd think that would make time go slower but for me it hasn't.

And about early 00s, 2000 feels like it was only about 9 or 10 years ago to me

Written By: Slim95 on 11/18/14 at 1:51 pm

2002 seems a long time ago to me.

Even 2009 seems long ago to me as I was still in junior high at that time and now I'm in university.

Written By: XYkid on 11/30/14 at 2:31 pm

Even 2009 seems long ago to me as I was still in junior high at that time and now I'm in university.
Seriously? I'm only 20 and yet everything from 2004 to today feels like yesterday in my mind.

Written By: amjikloviet on 11/30/14 at 2:36 pm

I thought the year 2014 went by so quickly.  :o

Awe see! It's different for everyone ;D

Written By: Howard on 11/30/14 at 2:51 pm

Awe see! It's different for everyone ;D

and just think, we were celebrating New Year's to ring in 2014.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/04/14 at 6:16 am

I begin to realize that the mid/late 00s are getting more and more irrelevant, even though they still feel like yesterday. I finally have to understand that the late 00s today have the same relevance as the late 90s had in the mid 00s.

Written By: sporty on 12/04/14 at 7:14 pm

To me somehow good years appear closer.
If my personal life was good, it feels like yesterday.
If my personal life sucked it feels like so long ago. Save for the early 90's when I was little, I remember the good years more vividly for some reason.
1997, 1998, 1999, 2000, 2001, 2003 seem closer to me than 2004-2013. 2002 is somehow both distant and close in a way because the first part of the year was good for me personally but the second was very dark.
While Jan-Nov 2013 appears distant, December 2013 seems like yesterday because it was a very good time.
I block negative memories and years and I remember the good ones vividly. :)

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/04/14 at 7:30 pm

BTW, a decade is a period of ten years, which starts on any given year, so the title of this topic should read "Can you believe we're halfway through the 2010's decade?"

Written By: winteriscoming on 12/05/14 at 3:39 am

As odd as it sounds the 2010s actually are going by more slowly to me than the 00s did. Maybe because I'm an adult now and I do more things? 2010 seems like quite a while ago to me actually. It's been ages it seems like since Inception and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World came out geez.

Written By: Howard on 12/05/14 at 7:52 am

As odd as it sounds the 2010s actually are going by more slowly to me than the 00s did. Maybe because I'm an adult now and I do more things? 2010 seems like quite a while ago to me actually.

I think the 2010's are going fast for me.

Written By: sporty on 12/08/14 at 6:27 am

As odd as it sounds the 2010s actually are going by more slowly to me than the 00s did. Maybe because I'm an adult now and I do more things? 2010 seems like quite a while ago to me actually. It's been ages it seems like since Inception and Scott Pilgrim Vs The World came out geez.

True for me, too. So many things happened in 2014 alone as it feels like 2 or 3 years to me. I started a new job, my health finally improved (knock on wood), then I left the job in July, went abroad in August and started university in September. January feels like years ago.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 12/09/14 at 8:13 am

I begin to realize that the mid/late 00s are getting more and more irrelevant, even though they still feel like yesterday. I finally have to understand that the late 00s today have the same relevance as the late 90s had in the mid 00s.

Yeah, one thing that's really weird about getting "older" (relatively speaking of course), is how time seems to go by so faster, but only because you can remember years in the past so much clearer.

Back in 2005, 1990 seemed like another world to me because I had only a few very vague recollections of that year. Now, as 2015 approches, 2000 still seems like it just happened in many respects, because, even though much has changed since then, the memories of that time are still very fresh for me. The fact that 2005 itself, the year I started college, will soon be a decade old is truly incomprehensible, but, to a kid born in 2004, I'm sure it already seems a million years ago.

Written By: Paul on 12/10/14 at 9:04 am

'...Can you believe we're halfway through the decade?'

Yeah, it happens - it's called the progression of time and it's unstoppable - deal with it!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/10/14 at 9:36 am

Back in 2005, 1990 seemed like another world to me because I had only a few very vague recollections of that year.

Same to me, however it was still hard for me to really consider the 90s old until the 2010s. Since there was a 9 in the years, they always felt new and modern.

Written By: nally on 12/10/14 at 11:18 am

Yeah, one thing that's really weird about getting "older" (relatively speaking of course), is how time seems to go by so faster, but only because you can remember years in the past so much clearer.

Right... and I remember certain years as if they were just a short time ago. However, when I was a kid, "three (for example) years ago" seemed like a "very long time" ago.

Written By: Howard on 12/10/14 at 2:41 pm

Yeah, it happens - it's called the progression of time and it's unstoppable - deal with it!

definitely true, Paul.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/10/14 at 10:53 pm

Time keeps on drifting into the future!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/11/14 at 6:51 am

When I think of how long ago the 00s actually seem to me, it sometimes feels amazing and weird that we are STILL in the first half of the 10s for 3 more weeks.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/11/14 at 1:18 pm

When I think of how long ago the 00s actually seem to me, it sometimes feels amazing and weird that we are STILL in the first half of the 10s for 3 more weeks.

We passes the first half of the 10s on June of this year... We're already in the second half.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/11/14 at 1:49 pm

We passes the first half of the 10s on June of this year... We're already in the second half.

The first half of a decade ends after exactly 5 years. And this will be on 01/01/2015. June is only 4.5 years.

Written By: Howard on 12/11/14 at 3:25 pm

and very soon it will be 2015.  :o

Written By: Slim95 on 12/11/14 at 6:17 pm

The first half of a decade ends after exactly 5 years. And this will be on 01/01/2015. June is only 4.5 years.

Oh sorry I was calculating it by 2010-2019 in my head  :P. You're right though.

Written By: meesa on 12/11/14 at 10:54 pm

The Hoff says yep, half over. Nuff said.
http://static.comicvine.com/uploads/original/0/40/749134-david_hasselhoff.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/11/14 at 11:02 pm

Currently in pantomime in Southend- on-Sea, UK!

Written By: meesa on 12/11/14 at 11:05 pm

Currently in pantomime in Southend- on-Sea, UK!

Well then it was extremely nice of him to go out of his way to come here and finish up this thread for everyone!  ;D ;D I should send him a thank you card.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/14 at 4:40 am

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krff2zC9s41qzaxefo1_500.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/12/14 at 8:01 am

Hoff is half-undressed.

Written By: meesa on 12/12/14 at 3:55 pm

Hoff is half-undressed.

Yep. i think it is a law now.

Written By: Howard on 12/12/14 at 4:08 pm

Yep. i think it is a law now.

In New York?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/14 at 6:34 pm

In New York?
Anywhere wherever he is!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/12/14 at 6:53 pm

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bN9se-ul_aE/SsfH3bSRbhI/AAAAAAAACAA/HUoMTwFcjh0/s800/graham_chapman_stop_that_silly.jpg

Written By: Howard on 12/13/14 at 7:12 am

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/_bN9se-ul_aE/SsfH3bSRbhI/AAAAAAAACAA/HUoMTwFcjh0/s800/graham_chapman_stop_that_silly.jpg

OK, Let's back to the subject at hand.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/14/14 at 2:30 am

OK, Let's back to the subject at hand.

Written By: Paul on 12/16/14 at 5:51 am

http://38.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_krff2zC9s41qzaxefo1_500.jpg

I only know four - 'recording artist' is stretching it to the known limits!

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/14 at 5:53 am

I only know four - 'recording artist' is stretching it to the known limits!
He has stretched the limits in Germany, he seems to be popular there as a singer?

Written By: meesa on 12/16/14 at 7:00 am

Warning-not for the faint of heart.  ;D ;D
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJQVlVHsFF8

Subject: Re: Can you believe he's half cut through the decade?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/14 at 7:06 am

With the subject of the Hoff now in this topic, the title should now read "Can you believe he's half cut through the decade?"  ;D

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/16/14 at 7:18 am

Time keeps on drifting into the future!

I want to Fly like an eagle.. to the sea.

G3QrhdfLCO8

Written By: Howard on 12/16/14 at 7:25 am

He has stretched the limits in Germany, he seems to be popular there as a singer?

but anywhere else?

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/16/14 at 9:18 am

He was kind of popular over here in the late 80s/early 90s. I think, he was the first singer I have heard of, when I was very young. On the other hand, it was considered pretty uncool to admit to like his music - even in Germany.

I think my family laughed at me when I was mentioning David Hasselhoff, being 4 or 5 years old ...

Written By: Howard on 12/16/14 at 1:36 pm

I think my family laughed at me when I was mentioning David Hasselhoff, being 4 or 5 years old ...

Why? Cause they didn't understand that you liked him?

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/16/14 at 5:45 pm

He was kind of popular over here in the late 80s/early 90s. I think, he was the first singer I have heard of, when I was very young. On the other hand, it was considered pretty uncool to admit to like his music - even in Germany.

He touches the heart of all ages!

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/17/14 at 1:10 am

I didn't like him. I have only mentioned him sometimes - for what reason ever. Maybe just because I have picked up his name somewhere. I don't think I knew any song from him back in 1990/91.

Written By: Slim95 on 12/17/14 at 9:28 am

Stop trolling my thread.  >:( Stick to the original topic!

Written By: Howard on 12/17/14 at 2:04 pm

Stop trolling my thread.  >:( Stick to the original topic!

Sorry about that Slim, let's get back to the original topic.  :)

Written By: Howard on 01/02/15 at 7:48 am

2015 has arrived and how do you now feel?

I'm feeling optimistic.

Written By: Rainbowz on 02/26/18 at 4:51 pm

Can you believe we only have a year left of the 2010’s?

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/18 at 5:20 pm

Can you believe we only have a year left of the 2010’s?

1 and 3/4  ;)

No I can't believe it. I knew this day would come but I didn't think it would come this fast. I have always saw 2018 as "the future" back in the early 2010s and we are already here now.

Written By: 2001 on 02/26/18 at 5:26 pm

The second half of this decade is going way slower than the first half for me, which is the opposite of what's supposed to happen.  :o

Like 2010-2012 felt way shorter than 2015-2017. Now 2013 was a very long year for me, but so is 2018 so far ;D

Written By: Slim95 on 02/26/18 at 5:31 pm

The second half of this decade is going way slower than the first half for me, which is the opposite of what's supposed to happen.  :o

Like 2010-2012 felt way shorter than 2015-2017. Now 2013 was a very long year for me, but so is 2018 so far ;D

For me, I feel like the second half is going a lot faster. But this is natural as you get older. 2012 - 2014 honestly felt like a lifetime, very very long to me. But 2015 - 2018 went by in a flash. 2010 - 2013 was particularily long for me and these were my high school year and I was aged 15 - 18. I think these years usually go by fairly slow for everyone though. High school always feels really long-lasting for some reason.

Written By: LooseBolt on 02/27/18 at 7:02 am

Ever since I got out into the working world, the years have felt slower. It felt like 2012-13 went by pretty fast though.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/18 at 7:58 am

and we're almost into March, Spring is coming.

Written By: 2001 on 02/27/18 at 9:34 am

Ever since I got out into the working world, the years have felt slower. It felt like 2012-13 went by pretty fast though.

Same! I was about to say that. I think getting a job in 2016 is what made 2015 feel like a long time ago. I got a notification on my phone about a photo I took 3 years ago in university, and I couldn't believe it was just 3 years ago. It felt like 5-6 years ago and it made me a bit nostalgic.  :-[

Check for new replies or respond here...