inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Are there less cartoons nowadays?

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/19/14 at 12:56 pm

I was thinking about the cartoons I used to watch on channels like YTV, Teletoon, Nick and CN and decided to check the website to see what was happening nowadays. Not only are 50% of the cartoons leftovers/reruns from 2006, but brand new ones are few and far between. There also seems to be more live action sit-coms on then ever before. Teletoon was originally made to be an all animation network, but now I see several sit-coms on that never would've been aired on that channel in the early days. Even anime has took a downturn in numbers save for the usual Pokemon/Digimon duo. Makes you wonder what kids are into nowadays.

Subject: Re: Are there less cartoon nowadays?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/19/14 at 1:20 pm

I wish they would bring back He-Man and his awesome sword.  8)

fO1ChfM94yQ

Subject: Re: Are there less cartoon nowadays?

Written By: Howard on 12/19/14 at 1:24 pm

There are not many cartoons these days, all the cartoons I see these days are on different networks.

Subject: Re: Are there less cartoons nowadays?

Written By: nally on 12/19/14 at 11:32 pm

There are not many cartoons these days, all the cartoons I see these days are on different networks.

I don't even keep track of what's on these days. In fact, some channels still show the classics.

Written By: Howard on 12/20/14 at 7:07 am

I don't even keep track of what's on these days. In fact, some channels still show the classics.

stations like Boomerang! And the Cartoon Network.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/20/14 at 8:43 am

The Bugs Bunny / Roadrunner Hourwas the best cartoon show ever.  8)

wqKf7j43i_k

Written By: Howard on 12/20/14 at 5:51 pm

The Bugs Bunny / Roadrunner Hourwas the best cartoon show ever.  8)

wqKf7j43i_k

I loved that cartoon every Saturday morning.

Written By: yelimsexa on 12/21/14 at 6:17 pm

In terms of 2D animation, absolutely. 3D CGI has replaced much of the work that 2D companies did. However, there is still a similar output in terms of production compared to five or even ten years ago. I haven't heard any major stories about such a decline. The problem is that you just have to look for the new stuff given the more numerous choices these days. There are still some adult cartoons around with various degrees of quality, though not quite as many has in the 2000s when Toonami/Adult Swim were at their peak. The problem is that I feel there is less originality these days with numerous recycled plots, characters, unimaginative stories, and the like. The truth is that most cartoons are for children, and are geared where every decade or so (approximately the length of a childhood), then you're free to recycle what you did for the next generation.

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/22/14 at 9:56 am

In terms of 2D animation, absolutely. 3D CGI has replaced much of the work that 2D companies did. However, there is still a similar output in terms of production compared to five or even ten years ago. I haven't heard any major stories about such a decline. The problem is that you just have to look for the new stuff given the more numerous choices these days. There are still some adult cartoons around with various degrees of quality, though not quite as many has in the 2000s when Toonami/Adult Swim were at their peak. The problem is that I feel there is less originality these days with numerous recycled plots, characters, unimaginative stories, and the like. The truth is that most cartoons are for children, and are geared where every decade or so (approximately the length of a childhood), then you're free to recycle what you did for the next generation.

Actually I wish CGI was still a popular medium. Now most cartoons use adobe flash which look "acceptable" in some shows, but terrible in most.

Written By: nally on 12/22/14 at 10:55 am

stations like Boomerang! And the Cartoon Network.

Yes, sometimes they air the classic Looney Tunes. They also have "original" shows, most of which came out circa 2000 (I don't care for those, however).

Written By: Howard on 12/22/14 at 2:19 pm

Yes, sometimes they air the classic Looney Tunes. They also have "original" shows, most of which came out circa 2000 (I don't care for those, however).

They air the classic cartoons we used to love and grow up with.

Written By: nally on 12/23/14 at 10:51 pm

They air the classic cartoons we used to love and grow up with.

Boomerang mostly does, yes.

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 12/23/14 at 11:42 pm

And Canada has Teletoon Retro.

Written By: Howard on 12/24/14 at 2:52 pm

I think it's because now most of the cartoons are on YouTube or on websites where you can watch them for free.

Written By: mach!ne_he@d on 01/01/15 at 7:47 pm

I was thinking about the cartoons I used to watch on channels like YTV, Teletoon, Nick and CN and decided to check the website to see what was happening nowadays. Not only are 50% of the cartoons leftovers/reruns from 2006, but brand new ones are few and far between. There also seems to be more live action sit-coms on then ever before. Teletoon was originally made to be an all animation network, but now I see several sit-coms on that never would've been aired on that channel in the early days. Even anime has took a downturn in numbers save for the usual Pokemon/Digimon duo. Makes you wonder what kids are into nowadays.

Actually, yes, there does seem to be a fair fewer number of cartoons today compared to live action "kidcoms", particularly on the Disney Channel, which seems to have almost given up on animated programming altogether.

I suppose that this is somewhat unavoidable, given the number of (particularly broadcast) networks that have almost completely stopped showing cartoons. Twenty years ago, we still had all the "Big 4" networks showing six or more hours of Saturday Morning Cartoons, plus morning and afternoon cartoons blocks on Fox five days a week.

Check for new replies or respond here...