inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Happy Half-Decade

Written By: Sita0 on 12/23/14 at 9:27 pm

Well, it's within 10 days of 2015. What're the things that define the decade so far?

Subject: Re: Happy Half-Decade

Written By: bchris02 on 12/24/14 at 7:20 am

Ebola.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/24/14 at 7:28 am

Iggie Azalea and Ariola Grande.

Written By: Mat1991 on 12/24/14 at 9:28 am

There seems to be a lot of social unrest this decade, especially this year. A lot more mainstream attention seems to be paid toward institutional racism and sexism, which I think stems from two major events of this decade: the Tea Party takeover of many state governments and the slew of anti-abortion laws that they passed, and the Supreme Court's effectively voiding the Voting Rights Act, which in effect gave the nod toward many voter suppression measures which have been criticized as unfairly targeting minority communities.

Also, there's been a lot of talk of rape culture and police brutality, especially over the last couple of years. Remember the controversy over Robin Thicke's song Blurred Lines and the accusations that its lyrics were rape-ish? Plus there's a lot of resentment toward the police, particularly because they are now on the defensive over unfairly targeting minorities.

The growing acceptance of gay people and same-sex marriage is also pretty noteworthy. Last decade, a lot of states passed bans on same-sex marriage, but since the very beginning of the current decade, most federal courts have been striking them down as unconstitutional, and I think the Supreme Court's striking down of the Defense of Marriage Act was a major catalyst for this. Also, in 2012, same-sex marriage was for the first time approved by the voters of several states, and recent polling has observed a trend toward majority approval of same-sex marriages, all of which indicate legalized same-sex marriage nationwide by the end of the decade.

Okay, I'm all done writing this term paper.  ::)

Written By: Howard on 12/24/14 at 2:50 pm

Guns and Mayor Deblasio

Written By: Sita0 on 12/24/14 at 3:55 pm

Guns and Mayor Deblasio

I don't think Deblasio is that notable other than to us new yorkers, howard. Correct me if I'm wrong, non-new yorkers.

I'd say, in pop music, there are three main trends:

"In the club" Party Music (luckily ending!)
One Direction
??? (there's a sound but I'm not sure of its name)

Oy gevalt....

Written By: 80sfan on 12/24/14 at 4:08 pm

There seems to be a lot of social unrest this decade, especially this year. A lot more mainstream attention seems to be paid toward institutional racism and sexism, which I think stems from two major events of this decade: the Tea Party takeover of many state governments and the slew of anti-abortion laws that they passed, and the Supreme Court's effectively voiding the Voting Rights Act, which in effect gave the nod toward many voter suppression measures which have been criticized as unfairly targeting minority communities.

Also, there's been a lot of talk of rape culture and police brutality, especially over the last couple of years. Remember the controversy over Robin Thicke's song Blurred Lines and the accusations that its lyrics were rape-ish? Plus there's a lot of resentment toward the police, particularly because they are now on the defensive over unfairly targeting minorities.

The growing acceptance of gay people and same-sex marriage is also pretty noteworthy. Last decade, a lot of states passed bans on same-sex marriage, but since the very beginning of the current decade, most federal courts have been striking them down as unconstitutional, and I think the Supreme Court's striking down of the Defense of Marriage Act was a major catalyst for this. Also, in 2012, same-sex marriage was for the first time approved by the voters of several states, and recent polling has observed a trend toward majority approval of same-sex marriages, all of which indicate legalized same-sex marriage nationwide by the end of the decade.

Okay, I'm all done writing this term paper.  ::)

I agree with the social unrest.

Written By: Sita0 on 12/24/14 at 4:33 pm

I agree with the social unrest.

Sure. Occupy Wall Street, Arab Spring, Race issues, Gay rights, etc...

Written By: Howard on 12/25/14 at 7:10 am

The introduction of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Written By: Sita0 on 12/25/14 at 3:26 pm

The introduction of Facebook, Twitter and Instagram.

Well, not their introduction, but certainly their ubiquity. I feel like they're dying a bit, especially facebook, I wonder what the next network will be...

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 12/25/14 at 4:31 pm

In my opinion, smartphones or tablet computers defined the 10s until now - technology wise.

Written By: Howard on 12/25/14 at 5:40 pm

Well, not their introduction, but certainly their ubiquity. I feel like they're dying a bit, especially facebook, I wonder what the next network will be...

new social networks are always popping up.

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/25/14 at 6:14 pm

Inthe00s? ???

Written By: Sita0 on 12/25/14 at 7:51 pm

Inthe00s? ???

;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/25/14 at 9:19 pm

Ebola.
There is nothing happy about Ebola, it is a serious condition.

Written By: Philip Eno on 12/26/14 at 4:06 am

Why half-decade, that is it new thing to celebrate, isn't it semi-decadeology?

Written By: LyricBoy on 12/26/14 at 7:40 am

Only if every year you celebrate the rolling semi-decade.  e.g., "How did the half decade from 2010 through 2014 compare to the half decade from 2009 through 2013?"  :D

Written By: Howard on 12/26/14 at 8:27 am

Inthe00s? ???

now that's a possibility.

Written By: Howard on 12/26/14 at 8:28 am

There is nothing happy about Ebola, it is a serious condition.

and it spread worldwide.

Written By: Sita0 on 12/26/14 at 9:48 am

Only if every year you celebrate the rolling semi-decade.  e.g., "How did the half decade from 2010 through 2014 compare to the half decade from 2009 through 2013?"  :D

Yeah. it's just a creative happy new year for the x5 years.

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 12/26/14 at 4:56 pm

Yeah, it seems that in the news the mega-family, The Duggars (19 kids and counting - a few have gotten married this year) and it seems that in the news they are always celebrating, 1 month married, 6 months anniversary.  ::)

Written By: 80sfan on 12/26/14 at 6:50 pm

http://planningwithkids.com/wp-content/2009/08/happy-half-birthday.jpg

Written By: Shemp97 on 12/30/14 at 4:02 pm

Actually 2015 is more like the 6th year now, were almost finished this decade. 0.0

Written By: Sita0 on 12/31/14 at 9:56 am

Actually 2015 is more like the 6th year now, were almost finished this decade. 0.0

Yeah, we're finishing the first five years up

Written By: Sita0 on 12/31/14 at 11:15 am

Happy New Year, it's already 2015 in much of the eastern hemisphere. Here in New York, it's still 2014, though.

Written By: Howard on 12/31/14 at 2:47 pm

Yeah, we're finishing the first five years up

then after that we have 2015-2020. (the next five)

Written By: Howard on 12/31/14 at 2:47 pm

Happy New Year, it's already 2015 in much of the eastern hemisphere. Here in New York, it's still 2014, though.

another 8 hours.

Written By: Sita0 on 01/01/15 at 2:50 am

another 8 hours.

Happy 2015 to New York, 4 hrs late. It is now 2015 all the way to the Pacific time zone.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/15 at 7:24 am

Well, it's within 10 days of 2015. What're the things that define the decade so far?
Your waiting in now over!

Written By: nostalgicguy on 01/01/15 at 8:15 am

How is this decadeology? Some of the rules on this website are ridiculous.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/01/15 at 8:21 am

There are not any rules against semidecadeology.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/15 at 8:22 am

There is an in reply #16.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/15 at 8:29 am

There are not any rules against semidecadeology.
Are we now talking quinquenniumology here?

Written By: Howard on 01/01/15 at 2:22 pm

Happy 2015 to New York, 4 hrs late. It is now 2015 all the way to the Pacific time zone.

Happy New Year! :)

Written By: Howard on 01/01/15 at 2:23 pm

What is that?  ???

Written By: Sita0 on 01/01/15 at 7:07 pm

What is that?  ???

5yearperiodology

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/01/15 at 7:40 pm

What is that?  ???
http://i.word.com/idictionary/quinquennium

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/15 at 10:02 pm

A lustrum (plural lustra) was a term for a five-year period in Ancient Rome.

The lustration was originally a sacrifice for expiation and purification offered by one of the censors in the name of the Roman people at the close of the taking of the census. The sacrifice was often in the form of an animal sacrifice, known as a suovetaurilia.

These censuses were taken at five-year intervals, thus a lustrum came to refer to the five-year inter-census period. Lustrum (from luo, Gr. λούω) is a lustration or purification of the whole Roman people performed by one of the censors in the Campus Gruntfuttock Martius, after the taking of the census was over. As this purification took place only once in five years, the word lustrum was also used to designate the time between two lustra.

The first lustrum was performed in B.C. 566 by King Servius, after he had completed his census, and afterwards it is said to have taken place regularly every five years after the census was over. In the earliest period of the republic, the business of the census and the solemnities of the lustrum were performed by the consuls. The first censors were appointed in B.C. 443, and from this year down to B.C. 294 there had, according to Livy (X.47), only been 26 pairs of censors, and only 21 lustra, or general purifications, although if all had been regular, there would have been 30 pairs of censors and 30 lustra. Sometimes the census was not held at all, or at least not by the censors Yes, why bother, especially after a heavy night celebrating the fruits and wine of Bacchus. The census might take place without the lustrum, and indeed two cases of this kind are recorded, in B.C. 459 and 214. In these cases, the lustrum was not performed because of some great calamities that had befallen the republic.

The time when the lustrum took place has been calculated. Six ancient Romulian years, of 304 days each, were, with the difference of two days, equal to five solar years of 365 days each, with one leap year of 366 days; or the six ancient years made 1824 days, while the five solar years contained 1826 days. The lustrum, or the great year of the ancient Romans, was thus a cycle, at the end of which, the beginning of the ancient year nearly coincided with that of the solar year. As the coincidence, however, was not perfect, a month of 24 days was interposed in every eleventh lustrum. Still holding interest for you?  It is highly probable that the recurrence of such a cycle or great year was, from the earliest times, solemnized with sacrifices and purifications, and that King Servius did not introduce them, but merely connected them with his census, and thus set the example for subsequent ages, which however, as we have seen, was not observed with regularity.

The last lustrum was solemnized at Rome, in A.D. 74, in the reign of Vespasian.

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/15 at 10:10 pm

;D

Written By: 80sfan on 01/02/15 at 10:11 pm

A lustrum (plural lustra) was a term for a five-year period in Ancient Rome.

The lustration was originally a sacrifice for expiation and purification offered by one of the censors in the name of the Roman people at the close of the taking of the census. The sacrifice was often in the form of an animal sacrifice, known as a suovetaurilia.

These censuses were taken at five-year intervals, thus a lustrum came to refer to the five-year inter-census period. Lustrum (from luo, Gr. λούω) is a lustration or purification of the whole Roman people performed by one of the censors in the Campus Gruntfuttock Martius, after the taking of the census was over. As this purification took place only once in five years, the word lustrum was also used to designate the time between two lustra.

The first lustrum was performed in B.C. 566 by King Servius, after he had completed his census, and afterwards it is said to have taken place regularly every five years after the census was over. In the earliest period of the republic, the business of the census and the solemnities of the lustrum were performed by the consuls. The first censors were appointed in B.C. 443, and from this year down to B.C. 294 there had, according to Livy (X.47), only been 26 pairs of censors, and only 21 lustra, or general purifications, although if all had been regular, there would have been 30 pairs of censors and 30 lustra. Sometimes the census was not held at all, or at least not by the censors Yes, why bother, especially after a heavy night celebrating the fruits and wine of Bacchus. The census might take place without the lustrum, and indeed two cases of this kind are recorded, in B.C. 459 and 214. In these cases, the lustrum was not performed because of some great calamities that had befallen the republic.

The time when the lustrum took place has been calculated. Six ancient Romulian years, of 304 days each, were, with the difference of two days, equal to five solar years of 365 days each, with one leap year of 366 days; or the six ancient years made 1824 days, while the five solar years contained 1826 days. The lustrum, or the great year of the ancient Romans, was thus a cycle, at the end of which, the beginning of the ancient year nearly coincided with that of the solar year. As the coincidence, however, was not perfect, a month of 24 days was interposed in every eleventh lustrum. Still holding interest for you?  It is highly probable that the recurrence of such a cycle or great year was, from the earliest times, solemnized with sacrifices and purifications, and that King Servius did not introduce them, but merely connected them with his census, and thus set the example for subsequent ages, which however, as we have seen, was not observed with regularity.

The last lustrum was solemnized at Rome, in A.D. 74, in the reign of Vespasian.

Karma again, Phil! You're on a roll today.  8)

Check for new replies or respond here...