inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Ariana Grande: A Passing Fad?

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/13/15 at 10:33 pm

Ariana Grande used to play "Cat" on Victorious. She was a really good singer, I always noticed that. I wanted her to become a star and have a singing career because I thought she deserved it. Boy was I wrong.

I hate her. For a period of time last year, reports came in saying she was difficult almost daily. She doesn't treat people right, and you don't get away with treating people badly. It happens sooner or later. She said in an elevator, once the doors closed, "I hope they all f***ing die." That is a horrible thing to say about people that provide a living for you and are the entire reason you are where you are today.

She thinks she's super talented but she isn't. Her voice has changed since "Victorious". It used to be strong and projective, but now it sounds ridiculously high and super girly. It's gross. Her music is too girly and cookie cutter. It really isn't even that catchy and she oversings big time.

Have I mentioned her looks? I mean seriously, she dresses like a sexy little girl. Like she's sexualizing a second grader. She has too much hair for her small body and she only has one hairstyle. She also wears too much makeup. I know girls are annoyed by guys saying "you wear too much makeup", but in Ariana's instance it's really true.

I saw a picture of her with a group of fans w/ her holding a piece sign. Most of the girls in the background were really pretty and very well kept. Ariana, on the other hand, looked like a freaking wax figure! She was wearing so much makeup, she didn't even look human! It makes you wonder what she really looks like without it. She is so sexualized that she's probably being passed around in the boardroom by perverted men who have fantasies about sleeping with prepubescent girls.

I think her 15 minutes of fame are almost up. She may have one more successful album and that's it. If she does then she will probably have one successful single, maybe two at the most. I've gotten really tired of her, as well as everyone else that I personally know. She has built such a bad reputation that even Hollywood is eventually going to disown her. Within a year or two she may not even be around anymore.

Subject: Re: Ariana Grande: A Passing Fad?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 5:11 am

Can someone please inform me on who exactly is Ariana Grande?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/15 at 5:44 am

Well, based on the original post, the next time you're walking past the boardroom and they're passing around some hairy chick with a really high girly voice... that would be her.  ;D

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014720/rs_560x415-140820132549-560-ariana-grande.ls.821014.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 5:46 am

Well, based on the original post, the next time you're walking past the boardroom and they're passing around some hairy chick with a really high girly voice... that would be her.  ;D

http://www.eonline.com/eol_images/Entire_Site/2014720/rs_560x415-140820132549-560-ariana-grande.ls.821014.jpg
So it is best to avoid boardrooms for the next few weeks or so?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/15 at 8:25 am

So it is best to avoid boardrooms for the next few weeks or so?

Depends on how one feels about Ariana Grande.  ;)

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/14/15 at 1:55 pm

Waha you made my day :p

though I find Iggy Azalea still more annoying.

Written By: Howard on 01/14/15 at 2:37 pm

She's not my type of music.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 6:39 pm

Waha you made my day :p

though I find Iggy Azalea still more annoying.
Not another to add to the list?

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/15 at 7:59 pm

Not another to add to the list?

May as well throw in Jessie J too...

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 8:04 pm

Any more?

Written By: XYkid on 01/14/15 at 8:32 pm

I'm sick of people saying that she's the new Mariah Carey. God no! I know Mariah has had her diva moments, but Ariana Grande takes the cake when it comes to being a complete diva.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/14/15 at 10:07 pm

Any more?

Well you have Lorde and Taylor Swift too.  :D

Written By: gibbo on 01/14/15 at 11:27 pm

Well you have Lorde and Taylor Swift too.  :D

I'm guessing you are having fantasies of being Chairman of the Board (or is that Bored?).

Grande is reasonably talented. I personally don't care for her.  Hopefully, she will settle down and grow up a bit before she trashes her career completely.  Also, I don't know whether we can believe every story written about her but usually there is fire where there's smoke.  I love that story where she only allows left side profile pics....  ;D  ... a tad precious maybe.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 11:29 pm

I'm guessing you are having fantasies of being Chairman of the Board (or is that Bored?).
Just give me a little more time for I am dangling on a string.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/14/15 at 11:33 pm

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8181-1348961216188.gif

Four top-10 singles in 2014?  34 weeks in the Billboard top 100?  Yeah, it's your standard pop music career track that starts on Nickelodeon (US kids' network), then opening acts for whoever's popular (it was Bieber, I don't blame you for missing it), and from there to the top of the charts?  I'll grant you that she probably didn't play as well in Europe as she did in the US, but OH COME ON, this is a pop culture board.  We don't have to enjoy it to keep up with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8eRzOYhLuw

And I actually kinda liked "Break Free".  (Wasn't it you, LB, who posted the above-linked vid to the boards?)  Catchy track, cute chick, aliens and lasers.  What's not to like?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/14/15 at 11:34 pm

http://mylittlefacewhen.com/media/f/img/mlfw8181-1348961216188.gif

Four top-10 singles in 2014?  34 weeks in the Billboard top 100?  Yeah, it's your standard pop music career track that starts on Nickelodeon (US kids' network), then opening acts for whoever's popular (it was Bieber, I don't blame you for missing it), and from there to the top of the charts?  I'll grant you that she probably didn't play as well in Europe as she did in the US, but OH COME ON, this is a pop culture board.  We don't have to enjoy it to keep up with it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L8eRzOYhLuw

And I actually kinda liked "Break Free".  (Wasn't it you, LB, who posted the above-linked vid to the boards?)  Catchy track, cute chick, aliens and lasers.  What's not to like?
I can certainly say that she is not that big in the Philippines.

Written By: bchris02 on 01/15/15 at 12:21 pm

I am not the biggest fan of Ariana Grande, but I would consider her to be a great representative of '10s music.  She has the electro-influenced teenybopper sound that is all the rage right now.

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/15/15 at 12:27 pm

"Break Free" is nothing special. But I say that as a European. :P

Written By: Howard on 01/15/15 at 3:25 pm

I don't know who she is.

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/15/15 at 6:00 pm

I don't know who she is.

She's the one who sings lead on "Bang Bang" with Iggy Azalea and Ariola Grande.

A few years ago she had a hit doing a Katy Perry soundalike called "Domino".

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/15 at 6:45 am

Somehow Jessie J sounds familiar!

Written By: Howard on 01/16/15 at 7:36 am

She's the one who sings lead on "Bang Bang" with Iggy Azalea and Ariola Grande.

A few years ago she had a hit doing a Katy Perry soundalike called "Domino".

still don't know who she is.

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/16/15 at 8:21 am

I am not the biggest fan of Ariana Grande, but I would consider her to be a great representative of '10s music.  She has the electro-influenced teenybopper sound that is all the rage right now.

That's what was popular in 2014. Who's to say that will be the rest of the decade? Only 2012 and 2014 were really teenybopper years. I'm pretty sure it will change.

Written By: Foo Bar on 01/16/15 at 11:15 pm

That I'll agree with.  It's catchy prefab pop, but I'm surprised she even made it to Europe.  I'd be surprised if she made it to Asia.  If you hear any interesting (or even cheesy!) sounds while you're over there, share 'em with us. 

Written By: aja675 on 01/16/15 at 11:29 pm

She is.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 12:20 am

She is.
But still not have heard of her!

Written By: aja675 on 01/17/15 at 12:42 am

But I live here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 12:43 am

But I live here.
I am in The Philippines at this moment, and I have not seen anything of her.

Written By: aja675 on 01/17/15 at 12:49 am

I am in The Philippines at this moment, and I have not seen anything of her.

What bands/singers do you see a lot here?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 3:35 am

What bands/singers do you see a lot here?
Personally, I do not go, I am at the wrong age range for pop concerts, and I cannot afford it.

Written By: aja675 on 01/17/15 at 5:24 am

Personally, I do not go, I am at the wrong age range for pop concerts, and I cannot afford it.

I mean, which singers/bands have you noticed are popular here?

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 5:34 am

I am a cinema fan, more than pay attention to singers here, I believe Michael Bible is due here soon.

Written By: Howard on 01/17/15 at 7:05 am

Me neither.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/17/15 at 7:24 am

It looks like Ariana Grande is big in the Philippines, with online research I see that there is a FB fan club for her.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/19/15 at 8:14 am

I don't think she's very pretty. She over sings and sounds way too high pitched.

Written By: gibbo on 02/19/15 at 4:19 pm

Haven't really heard her name recently. Maybe the fad has already passed!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/15 at 8:28 pm

The fad never started for me.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/19/15 at 8:49 pm

I don't think she's very pretty. She over sings and sounds way too high pitched.

I wouldn't kick her out of bed for hitting the high notes.  :P

Written By: gibbo on 02/19/15 at 9:30 pm

Let's start a smaller list ... of who you would kick out of bed!  ;)

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/19/15 at 11:53 pm

I like some of her songs. I'm not surprised about the diva rumors, though. I remember looking at pictures of her on Google and thinking, "She sure looks stuck up."

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 7:51 am

Would she kick you out of bed?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/20/15 at 11:32 am

Would she kick you out of bed?

Unlikely.

But ya never know.  ;D

Written By: whistledog on 02/21/15 at 11:17 pm

Somehow Jessie J sounds familiar!

She was one of the judges on The Voice UK last year

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/15 at 2:06 pm

She reminds me of a mixture between Ke$ha and Rebecca Black.  I personally don't care for her or her style of music and I don't see how it really appeals to anybody over 13.

Written By: Henk on 02/22/15 at 4:18 pm

That I'll agree with.  It's catchy prefab pop, but I'm surprised she even made it to Europe.  I'd be surprised if she made it to Asia.  If you hear any interesting (or even cheesy!) sounds while you're over there, share 'em with us.

We do get Nickelodeon here too, ya know. ::) So yeah, we also get Victorious and Sam & Cat.

I'll admit I'm not 100% aware of what's in the charts over here in this day and age, but goodness me...even I've heard Problem and Bang Bang more times than I'm willing to admit. And just FTR: she's had four Top 10 hits over here so far (I had to look that up, but hey)

Written By: Henk on 02/22/15 at 4:24 pm

Not last year, but the two seasons before that she was. In 2014, her seat was taken by Kylie Minogue.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/15 at 9:23 am

Ariana Grande in my opinion exemplifies '10s music.  I can't say I enjoy her music at all, but her sound is the sound of this decade.  This is the decade of female oriented teen pop that people say is EDM but is really more influenced by Rebecca Black.  I hope its a passing fad.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/24/15 at 7:37 am

I was only half watching that.

Written By: winteriscoming on 02/25/15 at 5:37 pm

She's hot, but doesn't seem like a very nice person. And her name sounds like something you'd order at Taco Bell.  ;D

Written By: Howard on 02/26/15 at 2:42 pm

She's hot, but doesn't seem like a very nice person. And her name sounds like something you'd order at Taco Bell.  ;D

Her name sounds like you'd order a very large burrito.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/26/15 at 2:52 pm

"Miss, I'll have an Ariola Grande with a couple of fish tacos. To go. "

Written By: tv on 03/01/15 at 9:36 pm

She is of Italian Ancestry not Mexican Ancestry.

Written By: tv on 03/01/15 at 9:38 pm

They used to say that about Mariah Carey in the first half of the 90's that she over sings.

Written By: tv on 03/01/15 at 10:17 pm

I'm sick of people saying that she's the new Mariah Carey. God no! I know Mariah has had her diva moments, but Ariana Grande takes the cake when it comes to being a complete diva.
True Mariah had to earn her way up to respectability the old fashioned way. Most of Mariah's diva moments were from 1999-2003 I think with the divorce from Tommy Mottola, the mental breakdown and than her get released out of her record contract from Virgin Records. She also dealt with movie  the "Glitter" and its soundtrack being a flop in 2001 and her album "Charmbracelet" not selling well in 2003. Her mental breakdown was highlighted on TRL I think she stripped down to a bikini-type clothing and Carson Daly didn't know what to think.

Written By: tv on 03/01/15 at 10:49 pm

Ariana Grande used to play "Cat" on Victorious. She was a really good singer, I always noticed that. I wanted her to become a star and have a singing career because I thought she deserved it. Boy was I wrong.

I hate her. For a period of time last year, reports came in saying she was difficult almost daily. She doesn't treat people right, and you don't get away with treating people badly. It happens sooner or later. She said in an elevator, once the doors closed, "I hope they all f***ing die." That is a horrible thing to say about people that provide a living for you and are the entire reason you are where you are today.

She thinks she's super talented but she isn't. Her voice has changed since "Victorious". It used to be strong and projective, but now it sounds ridiculously high and super girly. It's gross. Her music is too girly and cookie cutter. It really isn't even that catchy and she oversings big time.

Have I mentioned her looks? I mean seriously, she dresses like a sexy little girl. Like she's sexualizing a second grader. She has too much hair for her small body and she only has one hairstyle. She also wears too much makeup. I know girls are annoyed by guys saying "you wear too much makeup", but in Ariana's instance it's really true.

I saw a picture of her with a group of fans w/ her holding a piece sign. Most of the girls in the background were really pretty and very well kept. Ariana, on the other hand, looked like a freaking wax figure! She was wearing so much makeup, she didn't even look human! It makes you wonder what she really looks like without it. She is so sexualized that she's probably being passed around in the boardroom by perverted men who have fantasies about sleeping with prepubescent girls.

I think her 15 minutes of fame are almost up. She may have one more successful album and that's it. If she does then she will probably have one successful single, maybe two at the most. I've gotten really tired of her, as well as everyone else that I personally know. She has built such a bad reputation that even Hollywood is eventually going to disown her. Within a year or two she may not even be around anymore.

Look, She might be going through a lot of things right now maybe she is not used to all this fame that she has currently in terms of not treating people right.  Women are going through hormonal changes too and that affects their mood(I know some people on here probably thought that wouldn't come up on here.) I am saying the latter from a mans point of view as well. Than again she might just be a "diva".

As far as her comment "I hope "they all f***king die maybe she was just having a bad day. I'm sure you don't love your boss or your workers all the time at work. People can be a pain the butt at the workplace at times depending on your work environment. She has to deal with her handlers all the time. Maybe she just wanted time alone. I could just imagine all the obligations that you have in terms of interviews, concerts, and being in the studio it can be a lot for a person. You are just always busy.

Singing Voice-Well maybe that's the direction that she wants to go in as far as her singing style goes.

Hair and Makeup-I think that's in the eyes of the beholder wether you like either or not.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/01/15 at 11:29 pm

Look, She might be going through a lot of things right now maybe she is not used to all this fame that she has currently in terms of not treating people right.  Women are going through hormonal changes too and that affects their mood(I know some people on here probably thought that wouldn't come up on here.) I am saying the latter from a mans point of view as well. Than again she might just be a "diva".

As far as her comment "I hope "they all f***king die maybe she was just having a bad day. I'm sure you don't love your boss or your workers all the time at work. People can be a pain the butt at the workplace at times depending on your work environment. She has to deal with her handlers all the time. Maybe she just wanted time alone. I could just imagine all the obligations that you have in terms of interviews, concerts, and being in the studio it can be a lot for a person. You are just always busy.

Singing Voice-Well maybe that's the direction that she wants to go in as far as her singing style goes.

Hair and Makeup-I think that's in the eyes of the beholder wether you like either or not.

Why are you so defensive? Have you ever met celebrities or know her to make such an empathetic statement? Do you work in the entertainment business?

Written By: tv on 03/01/15 at 11:47 pm

Why are you so defensive? Have you ever met celebrities or know her to make such an empathetic statement? Do you work in the entertainment business?
Not trying be defensive. No I don't know her. Maybe I am being too empathetic but I want to give people the benefit of the doubt if I can. Could I give Mel Gibson the benefit of the doubt? No never.

Well no I don't work in the entertainment business but I did want to at one point. The internet age changed things though the paparazzi is always  gossiping about celebrities personal lives and you are always under a microscope. I just decided I couldn't deal with something like that. In the 80's and 90's you heard about celebrities  personal lives but it wasn't under a a microscope like it has been since 2003. In some spots since 2000. I don't know if you remember the constant coverage that Puff Daddy and Jennifer Lopez's relationship had from the media back then.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/02/15 at 3:22 pm

She is of Italian Ancestry not Mexican Ancestry.

Yes. Her name is Ariana Grande-Butera.

Written By: Broken Diamonds on 03/07/15 at 7:07 am

She's overrated in my opinion

Written By: 97er on 03/07/15 at 10:51 am

She's cute.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/10/15 at 1:24 pm

Back in Victorious, she sounded like Christina Aguilera. She sounded really good. Now, I can't stand her voice. Ugh, it gives me a headache!

Check for new replies or respond here...