inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bradley Cooper to bring Elephant Man to London stage

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/15 at 3:52 am

Three-time Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper is to play the Elephant Man in London following the critical acclaim he has received for the role on Broadway.

The Hangover star will portray the physically deformed John Merrick, whose true-life story inspired David Lynch's Bafta-winning 1980 film.

Patricia Clarkson and Alessandro Nivola also appear in the play, which runs in New York until 21 February.

It will then transfer to London for a limited season, beginning on 19 May.

Cooper, 40, has been lauded by US critics for his performance in Bernard Pomerance's play, which was first staged in London in 1977.

The actor, who was Oscar-nominated this month for his role in American Sniper, told the Daily Mail he was "bringing home".

Rather than using prosthetics, as Sir John Hurt did in Lynch's film, Cooper contorts his body on stage in order to evoke Merrick's multiple physical deformities.

"Every night I say goodbye to myself and I let him in," the actor told the Mail's Baz Bamigboye.

Cooper was previously Oscar-nominated for his roles in Silver Linings Playbook and American Hustle before receiving a third nomination this year, for playing a US military sharp-shooter in American Sniper.

Directed by Scott Ellis, The Elephant Man will play at the Theatre Royal Haymarket until 8 August.

Another American actor making his West End debut this spring is former Roseanne star John Goodman, who will be appearing alongside Damien Lewis in American Buffalo.

Britain's Tom Sturridge completes the cast in David Mamet's tale of three small-time criminals planning a heist, which runs at the Wyndham's Theatre from 16 April to 27 June.

Subject: Re: Bradley Cooper to bring Elephant Man to London stage

Written By: LyricBoy on 01/23/15 at 5:39 am

I wonder if he'll get the original makeup technician to work this production? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/15 at 5:42 am

I wonder if he'll get the original makeup technician to work this production? ???

Rather than using prosthetics, as Sir John Hurt did in Lynch's film, Cooper contorts his body on stage in order to evoke Merrick's multiple physical deformities.

I want see this, and should be back in London wentvit is on.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/23/15 at 7:01 am

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/I/51A4B296RRL._SL500_AA300_.jpg

How about the production of Elephant Woman?  :D
That is a different matter altogether, we are discussing John Merrick here.

Written By: Philip Eno on 05/18/15 at 9:49 am

Oscar nominee Bradley Cooper has revealed he has to hang upside down on an inversion table to straighten his back after playing Joseph Merrick on stage in The Elephant Man.

Cooper plays the physically deformed Merrick by contorting his body rather than using prosthetics.

He told BBC Radio 4's Front Row that twisting his features had left one side of his face bigger than the other.

"Right now my face twitches sometimes," he said.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/entertainment-arts-32781968

Check for new replies or respond here...