inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2015: The Year in Music

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/25/15 at 7:22 pm

The year just started, but there are already more than five songs that I like, and it's only the first month!

Stolen Dance - Milky Chance (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #39)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iX-QaNzd-0Y

Elastic Heart - Sia (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #17)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KWZGAExj-es

Only One - Kanye West (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #35)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WibQR0tQ0P8

I Lived - OneRepublic (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #32)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z0rxydSolwU

Ghost - Ella Henderson (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #22)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tA8AfQaUnXM
EDIT: Peak Now #21

Time of Our Lives (feat. Ne Yo) - Pitbull (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #24)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTXJQ5ql5Fw
EDIT: Now #11

Subject: Re: 2015: The Year in Music

Written By: 80sfan on 01/27/15 at 12:54 am

I actually think 2010s music is better than 2000s decade music. We have ways to go but I would rather hear 10s music than 00s.

Written By: whistledog on 01/27/15 at 3:42 pm

Stolen Dance - Milky Chance (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #39)

I'm surprised you guys came into that song so late.  I was beginning to think it was not going to be a hit in the US at all

Back in July of 2014, 'Stolen Dance' made #24 in the UK and #7 in Canada.  It also ranked #36 in the Top 100 songs of 2014 in Canada. 

Written By: J. Rob on 02/01/15 at 12:22 pm

I actually think 2010s music is better than 2000s decade music. We have ways to go but I would rather hear 10s music than 00s.

Definitely agree. The 2010s may have been pretty "bland" so far, but a lot of the music in the 2000s just flat out sucked, especially Hip Hop

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/01/15 at 2:43 pm

Lol, Then you haven't heard much 2000s music as you should have. 2000s music flat-out destroys anything from the 2010s.

Written By: XYkid on 02/01/15 at 9:34 pm

Lol, Then you haven't heard much 2000s music as you should have. 2000s music flat-out destroys anything from the 2010s.
I miss the first half of the 2000s, but I didn't really care for the second half of that decade. If anything, I almost prefer today's music to 2008, at least we don't have a bunch of annoying snap rap like Lil Wayne as much.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/02/15 at 1:59 pm

I miss the first half of the 2000s, but I didn't really care for the second half of that decade. If anything, I almost prefer today's music to 2008, at least we don't have a bunch of annoying snap rap like Lil Wayne as much.

Again, listen to more music from that era. Even the late 00s had Zaho, Sean Kingston, Stromae, La Roux, CSS, Nelly, Owl City, Vampire Weekend, One republic, Kid Cudi, Raheem & Ludacris(living like im bulletproof), etc. Still better than today.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/02/15 at 10:57 pm

Again, listen to more music from that era. Even the late 00s had Zaho, Sean Kingston, Stromae, La Roux, CSS, Nelly, Owl City, Vampire Weekend, One republic, Kid Cudi, Raheem & Ludacris(living like im bulletproof), etc. Still better than today.

Music is subjective, there's no right or wrong. Oh and btw La Roux is this decade.

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/03/15 at 11:28 am

Music is subjective, there's no right or wrong. Oh and btw La Roux is this decade.

La Roux is 2009.

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/04/15 at 11:32 am

Where I live, the children always play this kind of house music and really, it's always this kind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPioLizQKuc

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/07/15 at 12:16 am

Where I live, the children always play this kind of house music and really, it's always this kind:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPioLizQKuc

Do you mean children as in the teens or literally the children?

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/07/15 at 9:07 am

Do you mean children as in the teens or literally the children?

In this case the teens of western Europe

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/09/15 at 10:10 am

The Hanging Tree (Rebel Remix) - Jennifer Lawrence (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #12)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YNrBBfqWpzE

FourFiveSeconds - Rihanna Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #15 (so far...)]
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kt0g4dWxEBo
EDIT: Peak Now #4

I will update this thread as more (and better) songs enter the Top 40 of the Billboard Hot 100. Anyone who represents different countries please expand this thread and include songs which are hits elsewhere outside of the United States of America.

Written By: XYkid on 02/16/15 at 1:37 am

Owl City didn't even become popular until late 2009.
Nelly was at his peak in the early 00s, not the late 00s.
Like every other point in time, it had its good and bad. I personally believe 2008 was one of the worst years for music in recent history.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/16/15 at 7:29 pm

Like every other point in time, it had its good and bad. I personally believe 2008 was one of the worst years for music in recent history.

And I think it was one of the best.  I think 2013 was the worst in recent history.  2014 was a little better but still pretty bad.  So far I am liking 2015 but that's because there has been some good hip-hop and r&b come out recently.  The genre was very stagnant in 2013 and 2014. 

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/18/15 at 8:22 pm

Owl City didn't even become popular until late 2009.
Nelly was at his peak in the early 00s, not the late 00s.

Even though his music dominated the charts before then?
She had, loads of popular songs in the mid-lateish 00s too.
The music wasn't aimed at your age group and you were listening to the wrong kind. Again, I listen to music from outside the US and I can easily survive off that. My local artists were also making strides with awesome music during the late 00s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/26/15 at 7:40 pm

Truffle Butter - Nicki Minaj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EvlQOjK0MPk
(Probably her best single since "Pills N Potions".)

Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtDXIazrMo
(I didn't really care for this song at first, but it really grew on me and now I like it.)

Earned It - The Weeknd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=waU75jdUnYw
(I did not like this song at first, but like LMLYD, it really grew on me and now I like it!)

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/26/15 at 7:43 pm

That's 11 mainstream songs already that I like and it's only the end of February! I'm looking forward to the end of the year. I hope this year is even better than 2014, and I hope 2016 is a bigger improvement.

By the way, if a song hits the Top 40 for just one week in a calendar year, then I consider it a song of that year. For instance, "Uptown Funk" achieved most of its success here in 2015, but since it was already a Top 40 hit at the end of 2014, I consider it a 2014 song. Same with "Thinking Out Loud".

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/15 at 7:44 pm

Love Me Like You Do - Ellie Goulding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AJtDXIazrMo
(I didn't really care for this song at first, but it really grew on me and now I like it.)

Currently #1 in the UK.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/27/15 at 11:14 am

Even though his music dominated the charts before then?
She had, loads of popular songs in the mid-lateish 00s too.
The music wasn't aimed at your age group and you were listening to the wrong kind. Again, I listen to music from outside the US and I can easily survive off that. My local artists were also making strides with awesome music during the late 00s.

You're talking about Nelly Furtado. XYKid was talking about Nelly the rapper. Isn't that what you meant, though?

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/09/15 at 1:24 pm

Energy - Drake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J-AjsctjklI

I don't like the annoying cymbals, but I love the lyrics, the kick drum, and the haunting music.

Written By: 97er on 03/10/15 at 12:02 am

Get ready to hear more and more trap in pop music. Like Ariana Grande's new song "Adore".

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/10/15 at 5:28 am

I never got into Drake; I can't stand his voice; it just stabs my ears. The instrumentals are interesting though.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/10/15 at 1:22 pm

Get ready to hear more and more trap in pop music. Like Ariana Grande's new song "Adore".

Never heard it before. Is it a leak? It's not on her new album. I hope trap music actually gets better as it becomes more popular. I didn't like it when it first became popular because it wasn't good. Let's just hope it's a fad instead of a major trend. :/

Written By: 97er on 03/10/15 at 5:46 pm

Never heard it before. Is it a leak? It's not on her new album. I hope trap music actually gets better as it becomes more popular. I didn't like it when it first became popular because it wasn't good. Let's just hope it's a fad instead of a major trend. :/

Technically it's a single by Cashmere Cat featuring Ariana Grande. It's on YouTube and an official song. Look it up. I kinda like it.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/11/15 at 11:02 am

Girl groups are trying to come back, but it's not working. I'll use Fifth Harmony as an example.

You know how female solo artists are so popular these days? Well, since they make so much money, they get first dibs at the catchiest, most commercial-friendly singles. This leaves the girl groups with more subpar and inferior material. They also get less promotion. They are also marketed differently and are less likely to "make it". Guys don't care about girl groups, just like they don't like boy bands; Girls have boy bands marketed at them easily because each guy has a different look and there's a member for every girl. With girl groups, you have to market them as role models almost. It's their personalities and values that stand out, which makes marketing them harder. They are also marketed on their looks. Face it - Fifth Harmony dresses like clowns. They don't wear stylish, regular clothes at all. In the end, 5H may not be successful. Because people don't want girl groups.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/15 at 9:44 am

"Still in Love with You" is a song by British duo Electro Velvet. It was chosen internally by the BBC to represent the United Kingdom at the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Austria. The song was written by David Mindel and Adrian Bax White.

eniaB0xchTY

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/31/15 at 9:45 am

"Still in Love with You" is a song by British duo Electro Velvet. It was chosen internally by the BBC to represent the United Kingdom at the Eurovision Song Contest 2015 in Austria. The song was written by David Mindel and Adrian Bax White.

eniaB0xchTY
...chosen internally, that means the British public did not chose it!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/31/15 at 5:32 pm

2015 is the year where romantic lyrics finally reappeared.  Consider this latest work by "Mister Worldwide", the latin rapper Pitbull:

Tonight I'mma lose my mind
Better get yours cause I'm gonna get mine
Party every night like my last
Mommy know the drill, shake that #$@
Go ahead baby let me see what you got
You know you got the biggest booty in this spot
And I just wanna see that thing droooop
From the back to the front to the tooooop
You know me I'm off in the cut
Always like a Squirrel, looking for a nut

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/05/15 at 9:18 pm

More songs! Only ones that I like though.

Outside (feat. Ellie Goulding) - Calvin Harris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J9NQFACZYEU
Finally. It took forever for this song to become a hit.

Shut Up and Dance - WALK THE MOON
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6JCLY0Rlx6Q
This one also took forever to become a hit. Released in September of 2014, hit the Top 40 in March of 2015. Sleeper hit. I bought this when it was a free single on the iTunes charts back in November 2014.

Believe - Mumford & Sons (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #31)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dW6SkvErFEE
A song that spiked quickly and the fire just went out.

Talking Body - Tove Lo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzRyxGBGiAE
Didn't like Habits (Stay High). It wasn't catchy, it was annoying, and it's lyrics were ridiculous. Now this one I like.

Homegrown - Zac Brown Band
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8N8_CRpL6wk
It's very country. Europeans will probably find no interest in this, which is fine. Canadians definitely will, though (aren't they big country fans?). I was expecting this song to become a hit. Took awhile.

In the coming three quarters of the year left, there are more songs to look forward too!

Written By: Slim95 on 04/08/15 at 12:48 am

It would be interesting to see if it sticks around in the coming years. At least it's a change from the other boring music we always hear.

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/08/15 at 9:21 am

It would be interesting to see if it sticks around in the coming years. At least it's a change from the other boring music we always hear.

It's already been around for awhile. It became popular in 2013. I want the soul music of the Britiah artists to become popular. It's refreshing to listen to Ed Sheeran and Ella Henderson after years of electronic music.

Written By: GH1996 on 04/10/15 at 1:05 am

I have yet to actually listen to a song from 2015, I think I'll stick to my ipod from 2004  :P

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/13/15 at 1:01 pm

I have yet to actually listen to a song from 2015, I think I'll stick to my ipod from 2004  :P

You're not missing out on a lot, but you are missing out on some. In the mainstream department, the songs I listed on this thread are the only good songs on the Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 (there are some really good ones below it, too).

Unfortunately, hip-hop is getting worse; about 95% of it. The only good/alright/listenable rap hits are the ones that I (again) listed. Rhythm and Blues is mostly dead except in the alternative music scene where it's doing quite well. And it's official: I hate Trap music. It sounds exactly like crunk music in the mid-2000s! No difference at all!

I'm tired of EDM. I want it to go away for the rest of my lifetime. I like Mumford and Son's new song "The Wolf". It sounds so different from what they've done before. "Budapest" by George Ezra and "Girl Crush" by Little Big Town are also promising songs to me.

Overall, 2015 is shaping up to be a very polarizing year for music in my opinion. There are songs that I'm really getting to like, by there are also songs that I despise. I don't know what to think of this..

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/13/15 at 4:13 pm

Music is so weird today...
I walked past a dentist, and I wondered if I heard the dentist's drill or some EDM acid house sound :o
I think it was the drill, but it could have been.

Written By: ArcticFox on 04/13/15 at 5:07 pm

Music is so weird today...
I walked past a dentist, and I wondered if I heard the dentist's drill or some EDM acid house sound :o
I think it was the drill, but it could have been.

That's really freaky. I went to the dentists office two weeks ago and I heard nothing like that. As a matter of fact, they played older music! Maybe it's different in the Netherlands?

Written By: Arrowstone on 04/13/15 at 5:28 pm

That's really freaky. I went to the dentists office two weeks ago and I heard nothing like that. As a matter of fact, they played older music! Maybe it's different in the Netherlands?

Top 40 is half EDM like always.

Written By: GH1996 on 04/14/15 at 1:37 am

You're not missing out on a lot, but you are missing out on some. In the mainstream department, the songs I listed on this thread are the only good songs on the Billboard Hot 100 Top 40 (there are some really good ones below it, too).

Unfortunately, hip-hop is getting worse; about 95% of it. The only good/alright/listenable rap hits are the ones that I (again) listed. Rhythm and Blues is mostly dead except in the alternative music scene where it's doing quite well. And it's official: I hate Trap music. It sounds exactly like crunk music in the mid-2000s! No difference at all!

I'm tired of EDM. I want it to go away for the rest of my lifetime. I like Mumford and Son's new song "The Wolf". It sounds so different from what they've done before. "Budapest" by George Ezra and "Girl Crush" by Little Big Town are also promising songs to me.

Overall, 2015 is shaping up to be a very polarizing year for music in my opinion. There are songs that I'm really getting to like, by there are also songs that I despise. I don't know what to think of this..

I felt the same way with 2010/11 it was a love/hate, then I just stopped listening to the radio at the end of 2011 start of 2012.

Too much change in music for me, plus it all sounds the same to me anyways..

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 04/14/15 at 7:21 pm

EDM is all over the place in commercials.

Written By: tv on 05/03/15 at 8:55 pm

2013 was the best year for music since 2007. 2008-2015 with the exception of 2013 music just continues to get worse. I did hear the Ella Henderson song its not the best but its a breath of fresh air compared to what is out there. Music has sounded the same since 2009. This has to be the first time music has failed to change in 7 years in terms of trends. Music is still stuck in 2009.  Even in 2003 music did change even if the change was gradual. I hope 2017 to 2023 the 2010's sound gets wiped away like the 80's sound got wiped away like from 1989-1993. I do like the 80's but I'm just making a comparison.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/04/15 at 1:24 am

Trap music is really starting to take off.  I agree that its a nice change from the tired, Ariana Grande style electropop which is BOOO-RIIING.

So far, I think 2015 has been a decent improvement over 2013 and 2014.  This has been a big year for hip-hop so far as well as European style electronica.  It has also been a big year for Ariana Grande but at least every song on the radio doesn't sound the same. Now if only we could get the rock guitar back in Top 40.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/04/15 at 9:29 am

2013 was the best year for music since 2007. 2008-2015 with the exception of 2013 music just continues to get worse. I did hear the Ella Henderson song its not the best but its a breath of fresh air compared to what is out there. Music has sounded the same since 2009. This has to be the first time music has failed to change in 7 years in terms of trends. Music is still stuck in 2009.  Even in 2003 music did change even if the change was gradual. I hope 2017 to 2023 the 2010's sound gets wiped away like the 80's sound got wiped away like from 1989-1993. I do like the 80's but I'm just making a comparison.

I would not go back as far as 2009. 2011 yes, but not 2009. Granted, you probably lost interest in music by 2009 so everything has sounded the same to you I presume since then. But 2009 music is definitely different from today. I'd say the breakthrough of Calvin Harris on "We Found Love" is what started this current musical style.

And besides, I feel this current style is on the decline now. After about 4 or 5 years there's always a big change in music.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/04/15 at 9:31 am

Trap music is really starting to take off.  I agree that its a nice change from the tired, Ariana Grande style electropop which is BOOO-RIIING.

Both of those styles took off in 2013. In fact, I was listened to ever song from the Billboard Hot 100 Year End charts from 2010 to 2014 and you could easily call some of the hip-hop songs from even 2011 "Trap".

Written By: bchris02 on 05/04/15 at 11:30 am

I would not go back as far as 2009. 2011 yes, but not 2009. Granted, you probably lost interest in music by 2009 so everything has sounded the same to you I presume since then. But 2009 music is definitely different from today. I'd say the breakthrough of Calvin Harris on "We Found Love" is what started this current musical style.

I agree.  Music is very different now than it was in 2009.  I wish it sounded similar to 2009 because I think that year was one of the best music years in pop history.  I would say its even changed since 2011. In 2011 it seemed like we were on the cusp of some groundbreaking new sounds with dubstep and electro-swing trying to gain ground, but then things went full force into bubblegum in 2012.  2012 was the first year where the current sound was dominant.  Songs like "Call Me Maybe", "Titanium", and "Give Your Heart A Break" were big songs that ushered in the current sound.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/04/15 at 11:33 am

It's been a really bland year for mainstream music. Blah!  :P

Written By: J. Rob on 05/05/15 at 10:27 am

D'Angelo's Black Messiah and Kendrick Lamar's To Pimp A Butterfly are pretty much the only two albums I've been consistently listening to this year.....other than that........meh

A few years ago I thought we'd be in the middle of mini-renaissance by now in terms of mainstream music.......but good Lord this has been a bland decade so far.

The only plus is Hip Hop isn't as terrible as it was in the mid to late 00s

Written By: bchris02 on 05/05/15 at 3:24 pm

A few years ago I thought we'd be in the middle of mini-renaissance by now in terms of mainstream music.......but good Lord this has been a bland decade so far.

There were some cool things starting to catch on in the early '10s, but somehow it all got shut down in favor of radio Disney-esque artists like Ariana Grande (who I believe owns the '10s so far). It goes to show that pop music isn't about creativity or talent anymore.  If you actually have talent or you actually have something new and different, pop music will shove you aside.  Today, it's all about appealing to the lowest common denominator.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/05/15 at 7:20 pm

There were some cool things starting to catch on in the early '10s, but somehow it all got shut down in favor of radio Disney-esque artists like Ariana Grande (who I believe owns the '10s so far). It goes to show that pop music isn't about creativity or talent anymore.  If you actually have talent or you actually have something new and different, pop music will shove you aside.  Today, it's all about appealing to the lowest common denominator.

I don't think Ariana Grande owns the 2010s. She's just a fad, that's all. She's only been popular since 2013. The real rulers of the 2010s (so far...) are Bruno Mars, Calvin Harris, and Rihanna. Whenever Rihanna and Bruno Mars release a new single, they instantly become hits. Calvin Harris's star is declining a bit, but his relevance cannot be denied. When "We Found Love" was released the music changed from NES-style electropop to Electro House, which has proven to be the biggest genre since 2012. Even progressive house is pretty big.

Worldwide, Progressive House is the biggest genre among DJ's. In America, Electro House is the largest genre.

https://topdeejays.com/genres/

Interestingly enough, House music was big throughout pretty much the entire '90s. It's amazing how history repeats itself.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/05/15 at 8:35 pm

Falling behind on new songs from the 2010s.

**Take note I am only uploading the songs that I like.**

See You Again (feat. Charlie Puth) - Wiz Khalifa (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RgKAFK5djSk
Doesn't deserve to hit as high as it did, but a nice song. Not amazing, but I'd give it a 7.5/10.

Dear Future Husband - Meghan Trainor
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShlW5plD_40
The only song that I like from her, because it's less bubble gummy. And besides, the music video is funny XD

Girl Crush - Little Big Town
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JYZMT8otKdI
Love this song. It sounds so genuine. We need more songs like this!

You Know You Like It - DJ Snake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBn7bjy9c4U
The most listenable trap song to exist yet. The rest that I've heard are unbearable, but this has a hazy feel to it.

Hallelujah - Panic! At the Disco (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aoe9ST8gQhQ
This song doesn't have the artsy feel to like "I Write Sins..." did, but feels more orchestraic.

Written By: Todd Pettingzoo on 05/06/15 at 2:09 am

I don't think Ariana Grande owns the 2010s. She's just a fad, that's all. She's only been popular since 2013. The real rulers of the 2010s (so far...) are Bruno Mars, Calvin Harris, and Rihanna.

Also Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/07/15 at 2:14 pm

Another song!!  :)

Budapest - George Ezra
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHrLPs3_1Fs
Music video is weird, but I like the song. So that's 23 Top 40 songs from 2015 that I like so far...

Written By: tv on 05/10/15 at 8:37 pm

Also Katy Perry and Taylor Swift.
Yeah I agree that Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are the musical acts that "rule" the 00's.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/15/15 at 11:37 am

I notice that the "teen pop" era of today started in 2012. Sure, not everything is teenybopper (especially in '12 & '13), but it feels like it right now. Every aspect of music feels like it's influenced by the teen pop era. I hate it.

It's interesting because, we are now in the exact same position as we were 15 years ago. The '90s teen pop started in 1997. This one began in 2012. The music of now sounds nothing like the 1997-2000 era, but the situation we are in is the exact same. I think 2014 and 2015 will be our 1999 and 2000.

Here is a quote:

http://www.atu2.com/news/band-of-the-90s-u2-orwho.html
And then there's "bubble-gum" pop, which like bubblegum itself, inflates itself to a size larger than its credibility allows, and suddenly pops...

In 1999 and 2000, bubblegum pop "blew up" beyond it's credibility. It popped in 2001.
Now, in 2014 and 2015, the bubblegum pop of today has grown too large... It's going to pop in 2016.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/15/15 at 5:43 pm

I notice that the "teen pop" era of today started in 2012. Sure, not everything is teenybopper (especially in '12 & '13), but it feels like it right now. Every aspect of music feels like it's influenced by the teen pop era. I hate it.

It's interesting because, we are now in the exact same position as we were 15 years ago. The '90s teen pop started in 1997. This one began in 2012. The music of now sounds nothing like the 1997-2000 era, but the situation we are in is the exact same. I think 2014 and 2015 will be our 1999 and 2000.

Here is a quote:

I agree with this completely.  I can't stand the bubblegum sound of '10s music.  It started in 2010 with Katy Perry's second album and Justin Bieber's debut, but it completely took over top 40 in 2012 with "Call Me Maybe" as well as other songs like "Karmin - Brokenheated" and "Demi Lovato - Give Your Heart a Break."  At least in 2010 and 2011 you had more variety and Atlanta-style hip-hop and the late '00s early electropop sound (Lady Gaga, Ke$ha) hadn't completely died yet.  Somebody in another thread mentioned Rihanna's "We Found Love" as the start of the current sound but I don't hear it.

I guess this is how Generation X felt in the "Millennial" teen pop era of 1998-2001, though on that era there was still more variety than there is today.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/15/15 at 6:46 pm

At this point I am absolutely sick of electronic music. I want something different! Heck, I don't even mind if folk music becomes the standard. I would love for rock to come back, but it's up in the air. I want catchier, more melodic music. I want rich music made with natural instruments. Some genre ideas:

Folk
Rock
Reggae
Ska
Reggae-Fusion
Dancehall
Latin
Latin House
R&B
Soul (this one actually has a chance of hitting it big)

Any others? I just want substance back in, rather than doing stupid things "on a tuesday".

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/15/15 at 8:07 pm

I agree with this completely.  I can't stand the bubblegum sound of '10s music.  It started in 2010 with Katy Perry's second album and Justin Bieber's debut, but it completely took over top 40 in 2012 with "Call Me Maybe" as well as other songs like "Karmin - Brokenheated" and "Demi Lovato - Give Your Heart a Break."  At least in 2010 and 2011 you had more variety and Atlanta-style hip-hop and the late '00s early electropop sound (Lady Gaga, Ke$ha) hadn't completely died yet.  Somebody in another thread mentioned Rihanna's "We Found Love" as the start of the current sound but I don't hear it.

I guess this is how Generation X felt in the "Millennial" teen pop era of 1998-2001, though on that era there was still more variety than there is today.

That was me that said the "We Found Love" thing. 2012 was when hardcore dance music (Electro House) was at it's peak. It has since gotten softer (the beats aren't as intense).

The bubblegum sound started to catch on in 2012 with "Call Me Maybe" but I feel like 2014 and 2015 are our peaks, just like how 1999 and 2000 were the peaks of '90s teen pop.

Musical trends only last about 4-5 years. As the I stated in the source above, bubble-gum music blows up beyond it's artistic integrity and then just randomly falls flat on it's face. With '90s teen pop, it fell off in 2001. With today's teen pop, it's most likely gonna happen in 2016 (I hope so, the decade still has potential to be very interesting).

Written By: tv on 05/16/15 at 11:14 pm

I actually didn't mind the teen-pop era until 2000 it was just everywhere.  I do think the MTV show "Total Request Live(TRL)" blew the genre/trend up more in terms of popularity than it would have been on its if TRL didn't exist in the first place. Every Day one of the teen-pop artists(take your pick) would have a #1 video on TRL it seemed. Yeah I was just thinking about "The Year 2000 In Music" the other day yeah we had a couple great songs like "Everything You Want" by "Vertical Horizon" and "Hemmorage(In My Hands)" by "Fuel".

Written By: tv on 05/16/15 at 11:18 pm

At this point I am absolutely sick of electronic music. I want something different! Heck, I don't even mind if folk music becomes the standard. I would love for rock to come back, but it's up in the air. I want catchier, more melodic music. I want rich music made with natural instruments. Some genre ideas:

Folk
Rock
Reggae
Ska
Reggae-Fusion
Dancehall
Latin
Latin House
R&B
Soul (this one actually has a chance of hitting it big)

Any others? I just want substance back in, rather than doing stupid things "on a tuesday".
If the genre could come up with a sound that is innovative for the time than maybe yes it could hit big.

Written By: tv on 05/16/15 at 11:46 pm

That was me that said the "We Found Love" thing. 2012 was when hardcore dance music (Electro House) was at it's peak. It has since gotten softer (the beats aren't as intense).

The bubblegum sound started to catch on in 2012 with "Call Me Maybe" but I feel like 2014 and 2015 are our peaks, just like how 1999 and 2000 were the peaks of '90s teen pop.

Musical trends only last about 4-5 years. As the I stated in the source above, bubble-gum music blows up beyond it's artistic integrity and then just randomly falls flat on it's face. With '90s teen pop, it fell off in 2001. With today's teen pop, it's most likely gonna happen in 2016 (I hope so, the decade still has potential to be very interesting).
Yeah I am curious to see in what direction music goes after 2016. I don't see the same pop-sound lasting till 2018(electro or trap.) I thought after 2010 or 2011 maybe we would get fresh musical trends but it didn't happen. Of course(let me go back on something I said before) todays pop sound doesn't sound Lady GaGa  like circa 2009 it sounds "more mechanical" if you will than the 2009 electro-pop sound.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 05/17/15 at 7:44 pm

Yeah I agree that Taylor Swift and Katy Perry are the musical acts that "rule" the 00's.

you mean 2010's!!

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/18/15 at 2:01 am

Yeah I am curious to see in what direction music goes after 2016.

Not after 2016, in 2016. Teen pop was still cool in the early part of 2001, but by the fall of that year it was uncool. It's going to be the same with the new teen pop era. It's already been a few years, so I predict it will still be cool (but on decline) in the 2015-2016 school year, but by the 2016-2017 school year it will be gone.

By the way, what's your ethnicity?

Written By: tv on 05/18/15 at 10:34 am

you mean 2010's!!
Yeah 2010's. sorry my mistake.

Written By: tv on 05/18/15 at 10:35 am

Not after 2016, in 2016. Teen pop was still cool in the early part of 2001, but by the fall of that year it was uncool. It's going to be the same with the new teen pop era. It's already been a few years, so I predict it will still be cool (but on decline) in the 2015-2016 school year, but by the 2016-2017 school year it will be gone.

White. Italian-American ancestry.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/18/15 at 1:07 pm

White. Italian-American ancestry.

Oh, lol. I thought you were black.

Written By: the2001 on 05/20/15 at 4:26 pm

There is no teen pop era going on now,

The only exception is Ariana Grande and One Direction

Written By: Fearsword on 05/20/15 at 5:10 pm

quote author=the2001 link=topic=51144.msg3244441#msg3244441 date=1432157204]

There's also Meghan Trainor, Iggy Azalea, Taylor Swift, 5SOS, Katy Perry etc.

Written By: the2001 on 05/20/15 at 5:20 pm

quote author=the2001 link=topic=51144.msg3244441#msg3244441 date=1432157204]

There's also Meghan Trainor, Iggy Azalea, Taylor Swift, 5SOS, Katy Perry etc.

that isnt teen pop thats just pop lol

Teen pop is like spears, backstreet, Nsync, O town

like bubblegum

Written By: bchris02 on 05/21/15 at 12:10 am

like bubblegum

Which is the dominant sound right now.  To be fair, 2015 isn't near as bad as 2013 and 2014 but this is still a teen pop era.

Written By: the2001 on 05/21/15 at 8:42 pm

Which is the dominant sound right now.  To be fair, 2015 isn't near as bad as 2013 and 2014 but this is still a teen pop era.

there is no teen pop era

in 2015 wtf

Written By: Fearsword on 05/22/15 at 6:45 am

that isnt teen pop thats just pop lol

Teen pop is like spears, backstreet, Nsync, O town

like bubblegum

Possibly, but I highly doubt they would have a strong fanbase among anyone past college age. Most people at my college refer to artists like Meghan Trainor, Iggy Azalea, 5SOS, 1D, Ariana Grande  as "teeny-bopper". Even spears, backstreet, nsync in the late 90s/early 00s had music that was more "mature" than most of today's top 40.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/22/15 at 1:48 pm

Possibly, but I highly doubt they would have a strong fanbase among anyone past college age. Most people at my college refer to artists like Meghan Trainor, Iggy Azalea, 5SOS, 1D, Ariana Grande  as "teeny-bopper". Even spears, backstreet, nsync in the late 90s/early 00s had music that was more "mature" than most of today's top 40.

This.

I don't see how anybody could like today's Top 40 unless they are under 16 and female.  The exception is Iggy Azalea who I can tolerate because she sounds so much like Da Brat from the early 2000s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/23/15 at 4:23 pm

This.

I don't see how anybody could like today's Top 40 unless they are under 16 and female.  The exception is Iggy Azalea who I can tolerate because she sounds so much like Da Brat from the early 2000s.

This was made last year.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/who-is-the-electronic-music-listener.html

Electronic music is the dominant sound of today. It says:

Most listeners are male (55%)
The most common age is 18-24 (20% men, 13% women)
The majority are white (63%)
The most common household income is $25,000-49,000 (27%)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

Written By: bchris02 on 05/23/15 at 4:30 pm

This was made last year.
http://www.nielsen.com/us/en/insights/news/2014/who-is-the-electronic-music-listener.html

Electronic music is the dominant sound of today. It says:

Most listeners are male (55%)
The most common age is 18-24 (20% men, 13% women)
The majority are white (63%)
The most common household income is $25,000-49,000 (27%)

:o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o

True, but "Electronic music" encompasses far more than Ariana Grande and similar artists that dominate top 40. Real, good EDM is pretty big now but you don't hear it on the radio.

Written By: LyricBoy on 05/23/15 at 5:13 pm

This.

What about Pitbull ? ???

Written By: tv on 05/27/15 at 6:05 pm

Well I think in 2016 music will sound the same as it does now. I do think in 2017 or maybe 2018 music will change trends.

Written By: ArcticFox on 05/28/15 at 3:39 pm

I'm a bit behind.. Some songs that entered the Top 40 (that I like) that I haven't added on here yet. I'm starting to appreciate country music more. I notice it's really popular in the 2010s. As a matter of fact, country music is more popular than rock music. It's like the early 1950's all over again!

Kick the Dust Up - Luke Bryan
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhnaqcUZ7GQ
Whenever he releases anything it's going to be successful. He's practically the Michael Jackson of country music.

Please - Sawyer Fredericks
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQe-uA4v3T4
This is rock music!!!!! It really isn't dead, it's on life support! And the kid is only 16 years old WTF?! He looks like he's 24!!

Well I think in 2016 music will sound the same as it does now. I do think in 2017 or maybe 2018 music will change trends.

I do think it's unrealistic that it will disappear all at once in 2016, but that's probably the year the current trends are going to wane. Seriously, they started in 2012. I think the 2015-2016 school year will still have teen pop and bubblegum hip-hop, but the 2016-2017 school year will probably start new trends. Don't you remember the change in music during the 1996-1997 school year? That's when the '70s came back.

Since I see 2014 and 2015 as like how you saw 1999 and 2000 (bad music, too teenybopper, some good songs), I wouldn't be surprised if it fell off the map next year like how it did in 2001. I see the parallels in the situation we're in:

1997-1998 school year/2012-2013 school year: Beginnings of bubblegum and teen pop.
1998-1999 school year/2013-2014 school year: It's obviously in style now.
1999-2000 school year/2014-2015 school year: Peak. It's everywhere, it's annoying, everyone wants it to go away. Everyone complains. Pop music is ruined. (How it's perceived when it is current)
2000-2001 school year/2015-2016 school year*: A decline. The industry is really feeling the weariness from the public, so they tone it down. The charts become less affected by the genre.
2001-2002 school year/2016-2017 school year*: Almost dead, if not already. Few, if any, new teen pop songs are being played on the radio. New style of music comes in, starting the next trend.

* = It hasn't happened yet, this is just a prediction as to what is presumably going to happen. Cycles. So predictable.

Written By: bchris02 on 05/28/15 at 6:31 pm

1997-1998 school year/2012-2013 school year: Beginnings of bubblegum and teen pop.
1999-2000 school year/2014-2015 school year: Peak. It's everywhere, it's annoying, everyone wants it to go away. Everyone complains. Pop music is ruined. (How it's perceived when it is current)
2000-2001 school year/2015-2016 school year*: A decline. The industry is really feeling the weariness from the public, so they tone it down. The charts become less affected by the genre.
2001-2002 school year/2016-2017 school year*: Almost dead, if not already. Few, if any, new teen pop songs are being played on the radio. New style of music comes in, starting the next trend.

I hope you are right on this.  While I can definitely see a parallel, a big difference between this teen pop era and the millennium is that in 1997-2002 it was dominated by boy bands and the current generation is dominated by female solo artists.  Hopefully within the next year music begins to become more mature like it did during the 2001-02 school year.

Written By: 80sfan on 05/29/15 at 10:23 am

I love this song by Jason Derulo. I hate his music overall though.  ::)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRDagKJfH1s

It was supposed to be 'I want you to want me' by Jason Derulo. Link doesn't work though!

Written By: ArcticFox on 06/01/15 at 2:16 pm

I love this song by Jason Derulo. I hate his music overall though.  ::)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DRDagKJfH1s

It was supposed to be 'I want you to want me' by Jason Derulo. Link doesn't work though!

Just removed the "s" from https://

I don't like the song btw.

Written By: tv on 06/13/15 at 8:33 pm

I hope you are right on this.  While I can definitely see a parallel, a big difference between this teen pop era and the millennium is that in 1997-2002 it was dominated by boy bands and the current generation is dominated by female solo artists.  Hopefully within the next year music begins to become more mature like it did during the 2001-02 school year.
I think 2001-early 2003 was sort of its own period in between the teen-pop era and the Rap era of Spring 2003 mostly till mid 2008. Most of 2006 rap wasn't popular the whole year it was only popular early and late that year. 2001-early 2003 was mostly of similar to 1997-1998 with some exceptions like Lilith Fair artists(Sarah McGlauglin, and Meredith Brooks) being popular in 1997-1998 where as they weren't popular in 2001-early 2003 but another batch of female artists were like Michelle Branch, Avril, and Vanessa Carlton.

Written By: bchris02 on 06/15/15 at 3:17 pm

I think 2001-early 2003 was sort of its own period in between the teen-pop era and the Rap era of Spring 2003 mostly till mid 2008. Most of 2006 rap wasn't popular the whole year it was only popular early and late that year. 2001-early 2003 was mostly of similar to 1997-1998 with some exceptions like Lilith Fair artists(Sarah McGlauglin, and Meredith Brooks) being popular in 1997-1998 where as they weren't popular in 2001-early 2003 but another batch of female artists were like Michelle Branch, Avril, and Vanessa Carlton.

True.  In the early '00s, more upbeat pop-punk artists like Avril Lavigne replaced sappy pop ballad singers like Sarah McLaughlin and Celine Dion.

Written By: ArcticFox on 06/15/15 at 10:13 pm

True.  In the early '00s, more upbeat pop-punk artists like Avril Lavigne replaced sappy pop ballad singers like Sarah McLaughlin and Celine Dion.

You don't like slow songs/ballad music?

Written By: bchris02 on 06/15/15 at 11:40 pm

You don't like slow songs/ballad music?

Actually I do like it.  That is one genre I miss from the 90s that hasn't come back since.  The closest thing we have today are songs like "Thinking Out Loud" by Ed Sheeran, but that isn't the same.

Written By: batfan2005 on 07/20/15 at 9:01 am

I do think it's unrealistic that it will disappear all at once in 2016, but that's probably the year the current trends are going to wane. Seriously, they started in 2012. I think the 2015-2016 school year will still have teen pop and bubblegum hip-hop, but the 2016-2017 school year will probably start new trends. Don't you remember the change in music during the 1996-1997 school year? That's when the '70s came back.

Since I see 2014 and 2015 as like how you saw 1999 and 2000 (bad music, too teenybopper, some good songs), I wouldn't be surprised if it fell off the map next year like how it did in 2001. I see the parallels in the situation we're in:

* = It hasn't happened yet, this is just a prediction as to what is presumably going to happen. Cycles. So predictable.

I've always seen a 16 year parallel rather than a 15 year. The reason for 16 is because of events that occur every 4 years that shape our culture, namely the presidential elections. That being said, I think 2016 will be the peak of the current trends, and 2017 is when we will start seeing some changes. The years that have the summer olympics and presidential elections always seem to be the peak years of the cultural eras, which seem to coincide with the presidential terms (even if its the same president's 2nd term). I don't really think this can be classified as a teen pop era though. This is an era of generic and mediocre pop with a few good songs here and there. I listen to more hip-hop and R&B now, which does sound like the neo soul styles of the late 90's.

I would take the late 90's/Y2K era (Clinton's 2nd term) over this era (Obama's 2nd term). This era is much darker. I'm hoping that in 2016, Jeb Bush will be elected and make it similar to the 2000 elections, only without the recount fiasco. Florida will be a key state though.

Written By: ArcticFox on 07/22/15 at 3:30 am

I've always seen a 16 year parallel rather than a 15 year. The reason for 16 is because of events that occur every 4 years that shape our culture, namely the presidential elections. That being said, I think 2016 will be the peak of the current trends, and 2017 is when we will start seeing some changes. The years that have the summer olympics and presidential elections always seem to be the peak years of the cultural eras, which seem to coincide with the presidential terms (even if its the same president's 2nd term). I don't really think this can be classified as a teen pop era though.

How is 2000 the peak of the teen pop era? It was the decline. There was a sharp decrease in the number of teen pop songs in 2000 compared to 1999. I definitely see a 15 year parallel only between this current era and the Y2K era. It's not a consistent 15 year cycle. Teenybopper music appeared in the mainstream in 1997 (in America, Europe was a year earlier) and died in 2001. It appeared again in 2012; 15 years later. I noticed 2014 was when it was everywhere. 1D released a new album and a bunch of successful singles, Meghan Trainor and Iggy Azalea debuted to massive success, Ariana Grande reached new heights of popularity (akin to Britney Spears in 1999), 5SOS had a successful debut (1D and 5SOS are like the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync of the mid '10s), Katy Perry just went even more teenybopper (w/ the exception of Unconditionally), same with Taylor Swift (or at least she's trying it out), Miley Cyrus became a huge teen idol due to Bangerz, a one-hit wonder came along named Becky G (the 2014 version of Hoku), as well as some ridiculous immature rap artists such as Bobby Schmurda and Rae Sremmurd.

To me, the Summer Olympics/Presidential Election years have always been the beginning of a new time period. A fresh start. 2012 seemed distinctly different from 2011 in terms of pop culture. I was there. I experienced it first hand. It seemed much more escapist and over-the-top, it was ridiculous.

It's possible the 2010s might have two vastly different periods with distinct identities. For instance, 2012-2015 might be seen as the cultural early 2010s and 2016-2019 might be seen as the cultural late 2010s. I hope there is a conservative backlash against the current era in 2016-2019. The real world is feeling increasingly unsafe. And conservatism, with their precautionary routines and their observant attitudes, makes me feel safer. It's actually been proven through scientific studies that when people feel threatened they become more conservative, and when they feel safer they become more liberal.

Written By: tv on 07/22/15 at 12:49 pm

How is 2000 the peak of the teen pop era? It was the decline. There was a sharp decrease in the number of teen pop songs in 2000 compared to 1999. I definitely see a 15 year parallel only between this current era and the Y2K era. It's not a consistent 15 year cycle. Teenybopper music appeared in the mainstream in 1997 (in America, Europe was a year earlier) and died in 2001. It appeared again in 2012; 15 years later. I noticed 2014 was when it was everywhere. 1D released a new album and a bunch of successful singles, Meghan Trainor and Iggy Azalea debuted to massive success, Ariana Grande reached new heights of popularity (akin to Britney Spears in 1999), 5SOS had a successful debut (1D and 5SOS are like the Backstreet Boys and N*Sync of the mid '10s), Katy Perry just went even more teenybopper (w/ the exception of Unconditionally), same with Taylor Swift (or at least she's trying it out), Miley Cyrus became a huge teen idol due to Bangerz, a one-hit wonder came along named Becky G (the 2014 version of Hoku), as well as some ridiculous immature rap artists such as Bobby Schmurda and Rae Sremmurd.

To me, the Summer Olympics/Presidential Election years have always been the beginning of a new time period. A fresh start. 2012 seemed distinctly different from 2011 in terms of pop culture. I was there. I experienced it first hand. It seemed much more escapist and over-the-top, it was ridiculous.

It's possible the 2010s might have two vastly different periods with distinct identities. For instance, 2012-2015 might be seen as the cultural early 2010s and 2016-2019 might be seen as the cultural late 2010s. I hope there is a conservative backlash against the current era in 2016-2019. The real world is feeling increasingly unsafe. And conservatism, with their precautionary routines and their observant attitudes, makes me feel safer. It's actually been proven through scientific studies that when people feel threatened they become more conservative, and when they feel safer they become more liberal.
I always thought Iggy Azalea was more similar to rappers like Foxy Brown or Lil' Kim than to say a teen-pop singer like Ariana Grande. Miley Cyrus was a teen-idol back in the late 2000's/early 10's but not in the mid 2010's.

So you are hoping the US gets more active in military affairs around the world in regards to National Security?

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/06/15 at 3:54 pm

Ugh, I'm falling so far behind!

Bright - Echosmith
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMAzstG5O7E
These people actually respond to your comments!

Can't Feel My Face - The Weeknd
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KEI4qSrkPAs
The second song from him that I like.

Photograph - Ed Sheeran
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSDgHBxUbVQ
Very mellow. I like it. It's very different from most of what's cool.

The Night is Still Young - Nicki Minaj
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IvN5h9BE444
This is the more "lowest common denominator" side of my musical tastes. It's so manufactured and commercial, but I like it for some reason.

Sangria - Blake Shelton
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KoQrH6EMnas
I enjoy it. I've never tried sangria before as I'm only 19 years old and the legal drinking age in the United States is 21 years of age, but the song makes me imagine what it's like.

Uma Thurman - Fall Out Boy
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2VTxYQL2SbA
I love this song! The surf rock makes it fun to listen to and it's a great summer tune.

Rising Songs
Crash and Burn - Thomas Rhett
Renegades - X Ambassadors
Loving You Easy - Zac Brown Band
Locked Away - R. City and Adam Levine
No Sleeep - Janet and J. Cole (?)
Ex's & Oh's - Elle King

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/18/15 at 11:15 pm

Some songs I decided to add because I changed my mind on them (I disliked them but now I like them).

Worth It (feat. Kid Ink) - Fifth Harmony
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YBHQbu5rbdQ
I was annoyed by this song at first. I don't usually like girl groups but they're turning out to be more mature than the Spice Girls. If they keep evolving enough, they might become the 2010s equivalent of En Vogue or SWV. Overall a nice little catchy hip-hop song.

Cheerleader (Remix) - OMI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jGflUbPQfW8
At first I hated this song, but I would only be listening to the first five seconds of the iTunes preview. The auto tuned vocals are pretty silly, but listening to the whole song I quite like it. Definitely the song of the summer. Much better than the other calculated "songs of the summer" that tried to be but were too blatantly manufactured.

Here's the songs that I liked when I first heard them.

Back to Back - Drake
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5n_ES9RIoeY
His voice is still high and loud and irritating, but there's something about the lyrics and the composition that draws me to it. It reminds me of the music that would play on the main menus of early sixth generation video games, but this one has heavier cymbals.

Locked Away (feat. Adam Levine) - R. City
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6GUm5g8SG4o
R. City's first hit! The music video is also really interesting. A catchy Reggaefusion/R&B tune, but sounds straight out of 2012.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/19/15 at 12:09 am

Quantity-wise, in terms of the amount of popular songs that I like for a specific calendar year, 2015 is very rapidly catching up to 2014. I liked 41 mainstream songs in 2014. With all of the vids that I posted, the count moves up to 37. It's definitely going to pass it. I hope I like more than 50 songs in 2015!

I'm also looking forward to the next Billboard Hot 100 chart for the week ending August 29, 2015 (Billboard is 11 days ahead for some reason). Billboard apparently delayed the chart posting by one day because of a sales-count error. I want it up, I want to see who's hit the top 40 of the Hot 100!

2015 might become the best year of the musical 2010s so far!! I'm guessing 2016-19 will be better.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/19/15 at 12:32 am

Another song that I didn't like but have now come to appreciate!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YqeW9_5kURI

I like it, it's very mellow!

Written By: Slim95 on 08/19/15 at 12:49 am

2013 was the best year in music so far. 2015 is nothing special, similar to 2014.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/19/15 at 2:11 am

2013 was the best year in music so far. 2015 is nothing special, similar to 2014.

Not in my view it was, but let's just agree to disagree.

Written By: ArcticFox on 08/26/15 at 2:43 pm

More songs! Added onto the top 40 from the week before and this week.

Crash and Burn - Thomas Rhett
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=heyIXXCfyaM
Not a bad song, although he seems like a massive douchebag looking at his mannerisms, the way he walks, and the way he sings (facial expressions).

Loving You Easy - Zac Brown Band (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6LPDBZXgdA0
Has more of a funky country vibe. Nice song.

Now from this past/most current chart week:

Renegades - X Ambassadors
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1u-niluB8HI
Finally!! I have been waiting for this song to become a hit forever!!! It's the mellower, spiritual successor to "Pompeii" only better, and this is coming from someone who loved that song!

Straight Outta Compton - NWA (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #38)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BJWrTwo7XyE
And here it is... The return of Gangsta Rap!!! It's amazing how a song that is almost 30 years old manages to crack the Billboard Hot 100 after a movie made almost three decades after it's original release. The fact that it reached Top 40 is even more amazing!

My Baby's Got a Smile On Her Face - Craig Wayne Boyd (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #34)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ekxe7Fbqocw
I forgot to include this song. It's less bro-countryish and more authentic. This was a hit earlier in the year and was from this past The Voice season.

Overall, I think 2015 has been holding up well. Some abysmal songs, sure (which I don't post on here as I only post hit songs from 2015 that I like), but the great tunes are getting some big attention! I hope the rest of this year and the next year is better. I'm starting to gain hope for American music, unlike 2012...

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/02/15 at 1:38 am

Urg, no new songs that are good on this week's Billboard Hot 100 chart!  >:(

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 09/03/15 at 11:24 am

You sure about that? Because to me, everything music, tv, movie, fashion, & political wise still seemed like we were in the electropop era (albeit at the tail end).

I would give you 2013 as the actual transition year since artists like Iggy Azalea, Sam Smith, Lorde and Ariana Grande rose that year, Miley Cyrus was now at the peak of her crazy image, and Justin Bieber started to fall off.

In the realm of tv, many tv shows that were popular throughout the electropop era either ended in 2012-2013 (Jersey Shore & Breaking Bad) or started to decline in popularity (16 & Pregnant & Teen Mom).

You also have to take into account that 2012 was still Obama's first term, and we were still in that Tea Party Era stage in the realm of politics.

On top of that 2012 and 2013 for the most part was still the 7th generation of video game consoles, however the PS4 & Xbox One were hyped to death throughout 2013 and they released that same year, so 2013 could sort of go either way in that regard, but 2012 was without a doubt 7th gen.

Plus fashion wise, 2012 was probably the last year I noticed anybody still wearing name brands like it was cool like American Eagle hoodies & sweaters or neon Hollister T-Shirts, also the last year I noticed a lot of colorful skinny jeans, girls wearing low rise jeans, guys wearing basketball shorts, fitted caps still commonly worn, or Ed Hardy T-Shirts still being worn.

So all in all, I think 2012 was very similar in ways to 1996.

1996 was the last firm year of the core 90's music

2012 was the last firm year of the electropop era music

1996 was the last year Grunge & Gangsta Hip Hop were popular

2012 was the last year Late 00's electropop & Dubstep were popular

1996 was the last year of Clinton's 1st term

2012 was the last year of Obama's 1st term

1996 was the year the internet became massively popular

2012 was the year smartphones became massively popular

1996 was the tail end of the 4th generation of video games

2012 was the tail end of the 7th generation of video games

I think the 1996-1997 school year was a transitional year between Gen X/Y But slightly leaning more towards X

While 1997-1998 was the Gen X/Y Year leaning more towards Y

The same could be said with 2012

2012-2013 was the Y/Z year leaning Y

2013-2014 was the Y/Z year leaning Z

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/03/15 at 2:29 pm

You sure about that? Because to me, everything music, tv, movie, fashion, & political wise still seemed like we were in the electropop era (albeit at the tail end).

I would give you 2013 as the actual transition year since artists like Iggy Azalea, Sam Smith, Lorde and Ariana Grande rose that year, Miley Cyrus was now at the peak of her crazy image, and Justin Bieber started to fall off.

Plus fashion wise, 2012 was probably the last year I noticed anybody still wearing name brands like it was cool like American Eagle hoodies & sweaters or neon Hollister T-Shirts, also the last year I noticed a lot of colorful skinny jeans, girls wearing low rise jeans, guys wearing basketball shorts, fitted caps still commonly worn, or Ed Hardy T-Shirts still being worn.

I'm sure of it. People's views on 2012 are very divisive as some people's experience of 2012 was more akin to a 2009 one (you) where as other's experience were more akin to a 2015 one (me). I lived in Utah in the early 2010's, whereas I presumed you have lived in New Jersey all your life. Considering that Jersey Shore and Guido culture originates in the New Jersey and York area, it's no surprise that that type of culture and lifestyle remained relevant longer in the Northeast than anywhere else (in my case, the West). Are you Italian?

From my own first-hand experience, I can say that there was a definite shift in style and feel by the time the 2012 London Summer Olympics rolled around, at least where I lived. My family and I went to Southern California for vacation that summer. First of all, the big-room Progressive House music of today had it's first big year then, and there were hints of that occurring in late 2011! 2012 was definitely Calvin Harris's year. Second, Electronic pop music is still around today, but takes up a very small percentage of the market these days. I agree with you on Ariana Grande and Lorde's rise in 2013, but Iggy Azalea and Sam Smith didn't receive any mainstream attention in the US until 2014. Both Miley Cyrus and Justin Bieber showed the first hints of their nuttiness in late 2012. I also remember trap rap and quirkier hip-hop emerging around this time, songs such as "Like a G6" sounded outdated by the fall of that year. Also the small-scale folk music trend kicked off that year with songs such as "Little Talks" and "Ho Hey".

I agree with you on the fashion, but that only applies to the early part of the year where I lived. I remember hanging out with my brother and my two best friends at my local suburban mall in either September or October of 2012, and going into the stores to check things out. I remember seeing warmer-colored tones with floral prints, high-waisted pants (not jeans, pants!), floppy straw hats, long flowy dresses in bright colors, and combat boots. I remember seeing a lot of suede and canvas on footwear for both genders. I also recall seeing polka dots and all-around prints on guy's shirts as well as being completely buttoned up. This was also the year that denim vests and jackets came back. Regarding other stuff, low-rise skinny jeans were still cool, but neon colors disappeared in favor of earth tones in casual wear. Men stopped wearing skinny jeans though and moved on to slim-tapered and slim-straight styles, which continues today.

I also remembered the plain hairstyles of the very early 2010's pretty much going away that year, and girls started to purposely make their hair look messy and tousled. This is also when ombre kicked off. Middle partings replaced side partings. I also remember girls wearing vamp lipstick and dark nail polish again. There were hints of a new hairstyle for guys in 2011 with alternative bands and indie artists. This was the beginnings of the side-buzz that is common today. It was called the Hitler-Youth haircut back then and once David Beckham was spotted in the style that spring the guys went all over it.

The only thing that mid-late 2012 has anything in common with 2009 sartorially is the athletic clothing department. As a matter of fact, very little has changed at all in sports clothing since 2009. 2009-2015 is all just one era in athletic apparel.

I agree with you politically on the Tea Party thing, but 2012 was also the year that LGBT culture exploded and affected every part of everyday life. The urban racial tensions of today began with the release of the Hunger Games movie when people said they didn't feel bad for Ruth dying because she was black. WTF!?!?

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/12/15 at 11:14 am

In the realm of tv, many tv shows that were popular throughout the electropop era either ended in 2012-2013 (Jersey Shore & Breaking Bad) or started to decline in popularity (16 & Pregnant & Teen Mom).

You also have to take into account that 2012 was still Obama's first term, and we were still in that Tea Party Era stage in the realm of politics.

On top of that 2012 and 2013 for the most part was still the 7th generation of video game consoles, however the PS4 & Xbox One were hyped to death throughout 2013 and they released that same year, so 2013 could sort of go either way in that regard, but 2012 was without a doubt 7th gen.

So all in all, I think 2012 was very similar in ways to 1996.

1996 was the last firm year of the core 90's music

2012 was the last firm year of the electropop era music

1996 was the last year Grunge & Gangsta Hip Hop were popular

2012 was the last year Late 00's electropop & Dubstep were popular

1996 was the last year of Clinton's 1st term

2012 was the last year of Obama's 1st term

1996 was the year the internet became massively popular

2012 was the year smartphones became massively popular

1996 was the tail end of the 4th generation of video games

2012 was the tail end of the 7th generation of video games

I think the 1996-1997 school year was a transitional year between Gen X/Y But slightly leaning more towards X

While 1997-1998 was the Gen X/Y Year leaning more towards Y

The same could be said with 2012

2012-2013 was the Y/Z year leaning Y

2013-2014 was the Y/Z year leaning Z

I agree with this. I noticed a lot of similarities between 2012 and 1996, especially politically with the re-election of a Democrat president and the musical styles. There were at least 5 artists/bands that were popular in 1996 that released music in 2012: Garbage, No Doubt, Matchbox 20, Smashing Pumpkins, and Alanis Morisette. Also, "Gangnam Style" was said to be 2012's "Macarena". Both were songs in a foreign language that had a dance to it, and it was only popular for about 6 months. Movie-wise, they weren't too similar. If they released "Into the Storm" during the summer of 2012 instead of 2014, it would have been more like the summer of 1996 when "Twister" came out. Also if they released "Dark Knight Rises" and "Men in Black III" in 2013 instead of 2012, then 2013 would have been more like the summer of 1997. I like to think of "Battleship" as 2012's "Independence Day". Both had a similar concept, military members fighting a war against aliens, but Battleship was not a blockbuster classic like Independence Day was. The London 2012 Olympics kind of reminded me of the Atlanta 1996 Olympics. They both had wierd mascots, lol.

I graduated high school in 1997, and I know a lot of people who graduated in 2013 (family, friends, co-workers). It seems like what they went through the year they graduated was similar to my experience, that it was a changeful time not only in their lives but the world around them. 2013 was very changeful in my life as well, so that's why I preceive it as a changeful year, especially moving from Europe where EDM is more  popular, to the East Coast of the US where hip-hip is more popular. Coincidentally, the popularity of those styles happened to change stateside around the same time.

Written By: bchris02 on 09/12/15 at 4:30 pm

vhnC0NPl76s

Typical '10s teen pop song.  I am ready to move on from this kind of music.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/12/15 at 4:32 pm

vhnC0NPl76s

Typical '10s teen pop song.  I am ready to move on from this kind of music.

LOL I feel ya bro!

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/22/15 at 12:36 pm

Two new songs on this week's Billboard Hot 100 chart! I've also got an extra song.  ;)

Fun (feat. Chris Brown) - Pitbull (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXuqdejJxJc
I didn't like this song at first but I'm changing my attitude on it. I hate Chris Brown, he's so cheap and dirty. Pitbull I mostly like. The music video is pretty tasteless, so I didn't post it.

Ex's & Oh's - Elle King (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #34)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kv1gBViFIX4
Finally a great rock song hits the top 40 this year. So far, this is my favorite song of the year, and there are a lot of songs that I like from '15. I enjoy the sound of it.

Strip It Down - Luke Bryan (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #40)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kY2pJsOZvc4
Luke Bryan is controversial, as many people think he's too safe. But I like it and I enjoy that he shows some more vulnerability with this song, although the sexual nature of it cheapens it significantly.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/22/15 at 12:44 pm

Forgot to add these. I'm alright with them, but I don't like them enough to actually purchase them. I find them better than the massive majority of Top 40 rap songs, but still isn't as good as the underground stuff which hardly gets any attention.

Classic Man - Jidenna (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #22)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nsiN0W15w0U

Hotline Bling - Drake (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #9)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPEJFyD--ck

Written By: bchris02 on 09/23/15 at 9:37 pm

I actually kind of like Demi Lovato's new song.  It's a pretty big departure from what we've heard from her so far.

https://vimeo.com/139191161

Written By: mqg96 on 09/23/15 at 10:02 pm

I actually kind of like Demi Lovato's new song.  It's a pretty big departure from what we've heard from her so far.

https://vimeo.com/139191161

I'm trying so hard to deny the song, but I just can't! It's so catchy and dreamy! ;D

Written By: bchris02 on 09/23/15 at 11:57 pm

I'm trying so hard to deny the song, but I just can't! It's so catchy and dreamy! ;D

Yeah I agree.  To me, it sounds more like the electropop of the 2009-2012 era than it does most of what is currently on the radio.

Written By: christopher on 09/27/15 at 10:01 am

I was born in 1988 so according to some posters I should be nostalgic about the 2000s music but I am not. I had some great moments during the 00's but music back then was mostly crap. I am nostalgic for 2011-2013 music and this is the music I identify with. I enjoyed all the artists having big releases in 2013. It was a great year for pop, but I don't think the same for most of 2014. And I am taking a break from following new music, so I don't have an opinion on music from 2015.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/27/15 at 7:42 pm

I was born in 1988 so according to some posters I should be nostalgic about the 2000s music but I am not. I had some great moments during the 00's but music back then was mostly crap. I am nostalgic for 2011-2013 music and this is the music I identify with. I enjoyed all the artists having big releases in 2013. It was a great year for pop, but I don't think the same for most of 2014. And I am taking a break from following new music, so I don't have an opinion on music from 2015.

Honestly, that's not surprising. Most people tend to like the music of their early 20's the most. The whole "peak of music interest is in high school" is a fallacy. For most people, anyways.

Written By: mqg96 on 09/27/15 at 7:59 pm

Honestly, that's not surprising. Most people tend to like the music of their early 20's the most. The whole "peak of music interest is in high school" is a fallacy. For most people, anyways.

I have to respectfully disagree with this post. People at any age since at least middle school can enjoy the pop culture of music as it is happening live. It depends on what genre of music the person prefers and what time that particular genre of music has a "mini-golden age" or great year(s) of music coming out regularly. If this was the case then I'm supposed to enjoy most of the music coming out now unlike the electropop music that was coming out regularly throughout the very late 2000's and very early 2010's. Besides, I'm not surprised the poster enjoys 2011-2013 music better than some of the weak mid 2000's music depending on what genre(s) he or she preferred at the time. The peak of music interest is someone's opinion, just like how the peak of childhood is someone's opinion as well and it depends on how good the person's memories are. The peak of music interest depends on how great the music was to the person at the time, no matter what age they were.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/27/15 at 10:33 pm

I have to respectfully disagree with this post. People at any age since at least middle school can enjoy the pop culture of music as it is happening live. It depends on what genre of music the person prefers and what time that particular genre of music has a "mini-golden age" or great year(s) of music coming out regularly. If this was the case then I'm supposed to enjoy most of the music coming out now unlike the electropop music that was coming out regularly throughout the very late 2000's and very early 2010's. Besides, I'm not surprised the poster enjoys 2011-2013 music better than some of the weak mid 2000's music depending on what genre(s) he or she preferred at the time. The peak of music interest is someone's opinion, just like how the peak of childhood is someone's opinion as well and it depends on how good the person's memories are. The peak of music interest depends on how great the music was to the person at the time, no matter what age they were.

Yeah but take note that we're not in our early 20's yet and the future doesn't even exist until it happens.  :D

Written By: mqg96 on 09/28/15 at 2:02 am

Yeah but take note that we're not in our early 20's yet and the future doesn't even exist until it happens.  :D

True. I guess we just have to see what hit music comes out later in this decade with surprise.

Written By: christopher on 09/28/15 at 3:43 am

I really think songs like Royals, Get Lucky, Happy, Best Song Ever, Midnight Memories, etc. are better than most of the 90's and 00's pop music. While I have wonderful, fond memories of my life from back then, I think music generally sucked for my liking. I remember following it back then, so it's not like I missed music. I tried to collect songs from like 2003 as it was wonderful year only to discover that I liked only a couple of songs. It's no wonder that I preferred watching so 80's on VH1 back then to listening to then new music. I have grown fond of 2008-present music though, especially 2012-2013. 2012 was a bad year in my life mostly but I remember the summer fondly for Call Me Maybe, Somebody That I Used to Know and We Are Young. For example I cannot think of a 2002 song I like. And I loved everything on radio in 2012-2013, especially during 2013, yep, even stuff like One Direction and Miley Cyrus. :)

2014 started good but it dropped in quality pretty fast and so far 2015 has been bleak to me. The only recent song I like is the one that samples It's My Party.

Written By: ArcticFox on 09/29/15 at 1:41 pm

Update!  :)

On My Mind - Ellie Goulding
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H202k7KfZL0
I really like this song. It's better than "Love Me Like You Do", which was alright. This song makes "Lights" sound dated by comparison! It even makes "Burn" sound out of the loop!

How Deep is Your Love - Calvin Harris
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EgqUJOudrcM
I actually really like this. It's very intense. This is definitely more soulful. I find it better than a huge majority of the songs on his breakthrough album, and also Motion. I'm surprised it took him so long to hit the top 40, he was such a huge star in the early 2010's. His fame is definitely fading, so this probably will be the last the mainstream will see of him. His songs "We Found Love", "Feel so Close", and "Let's Go" are starting to sound passé.

John Cougar, John Deere, John 3:16 - Keith Urban
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gdu8M2val_w
I like this one a lot. Probably my favorite country song this year. I'll admit the songs I post on this thread aren't real country music, but it's still something. This one is closer to real country music.

See? Mature music is making a comeback. These three songs are awesome, with classy music videos that don't have explicit sexual themes!! This music is specifically for us mid-'90s babies! As a matter of fact, I think things are now starting to change. Little by little. I actually think 2015 might be the best year of this decade so far (especially with the most recent songs I just posted such as Ex's and Oh's and How Deep Is Your Love), and I expect next year to be even better!

Written By: bchris02 on 09/30/15 at 12:15 am

Both ArcticFox and mqg96 have a point.

Many people are the most fond of the music of their early twenties because that is when the part of our brains that appreciates new music and develops our taste is at its peak.  After that, we become more "set in our ways" musically until around age 33 when it becomes much harder to enjoy new music. That's why its rare for people over 40 to like current pop music at all.  There may be songs here and there that older people like but they don't have the same impact that music does when you are in your early twenties. 

On the other side of that, genre does play a part.  If you were into electronic music during the 2000s as I was, you probably liked 2009-2012 the best.  If you were into hip-hop, you probably prefer 2005-2008.  I am past the prime age for new music but there are still new songs coming out that I really do like.  I just don't care for bubblegum or the disco revival.  I never liked classic disco when I was exposed to it as a child.  People who like disco have a strong affinity for 2013.  The new music older people do like are generally offshoots of genres they enjoyed in their twenties.  For instance, I still enjoy today's hip-hop because overall it hasn't really evolved much since the late 1990s.  There are differences, but nothing as drastic as the transition from gangsta rap to the more modern sound that occurred ca. 1996.  I also enjoy 5 Seconds of Summer because it is fairly close musically to the pop punk of the early 2000s.  I also enjoy real EDM (not the pop bubblegum stuff) because that is musically close to the techno/trance of the 2000s.

Once the genres I grew up with are completely out of the mainstream or at least evolved beyond recognition, I probably will find it difficult to like any new music.  It's like teenagers of the jazz age couldn't handle rock n' roll and baby boomers raised on rock couldn't handle hip-hop.

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/01/15 at 2:44 pm

For instance, I still enjoy today's hip-hop because overall it hasn't really evolved much since the late 1990s.  There are differences, but nothing as drastic as the transition from gangsta rap to the more modern sound that occurred ca. 1996.

Once the genres I grew up with are completely out of the mainstream or at least evolved beyond recognition, I probably will find it difficult to like any new music.  It's like teenagers of the jazz age couldn't handle rock n' roll and baby boomers raised on rock couldn't handle hip-hop.

Comparing today's hip-hop to the hip-hop of the late '90s is a huge insult to the genre. Rap and hip-hop suck these days. I'm embarrassed to admit that I like it, because people will think that I like the modern new stuff. Almost all mainstream contemporary rap music is just noise. The bass is painfully loud, the rapper's voices are shrill and unpleasant, the beats are erratic, and there's no melody or harmony. It isn't music!! Even the rap songs that are musical such as Show Me by Kid Ink have too harsh of a sound that turns me away. It's too loud and overproduced. The only rap songs I can think of that I like are "Back to Back" and "Hotline Bling" by Drake. And HB is just simply listenable.

Late '90s hip-hop and rap songs such as "Father" by LL Cool J, "Sky's The Limit" by Biggie, "Changes" by 2Pac, "Jamboree" by Naughty by Nature, "Things'll Never Change" by E-40, "C U When U Get There" by Coolio, among so many others are actually music. They have a melody and harmony. They use instruments (sampled or not). They weren't overproduced. Rap didn't become what it is today until the early 2000's, when crunk started hitting it big. Many people (including those on this website) point to "Get Low" by Lil' Jon, but actually Ludacris had been doing that sound for awhile. "Move Bitch" anyone? Rap started becoming harsher and less melodic around 2002 and the musical aspect started to fade.

If rap doesn't get better, then I think it will be much better for it to die and disappear. I want R&B back.

Written By: violet_shy on 10/01/15 at 3:29 pm

Loved music this year. I'm thinking for 2016 it will be completely different.

Written By: bchris02 on 10/01/15 at 4:20 pm

Comparing today's hip-hop to the hip-hop of the late '90s is a huge insult to the genre. Rap and hip-hop suck these days. I'm embarrassed to admit that I like it, because people will think that I like the modern new stuff. Almost all mainstream contemporary rap music is just noise. The bass is painfully loud, the rapper's voices are shrill and unpleasant, the beats are erratic, and there's no melody or harmony. It isn't music!! Even the rap songs that are musical such as Show Me by Kid Ink have too harsh of a sound that turns me away. It's too loud and overproduced. The only rap songs I can think of that I like are "Back to Back" and "Hotline Bling" by Drake. And HB is just simply listenable.

Late '90s hip-hop and rap songs such as "Father" by LL Cool J, "Sky's The Limit" by Biggie, "Changes" by 2Pac, "Jamboree" by Naughty by Nature, "Things'll Never Change" by E-40, "C U When U Get There" by Coolio, among so many others are actually music. They have a melody and harmony. They use instruments (sampled or not). They weren't overproduced. Rap didn't become what it is today until the early 2000's, when crunk started hitting it big. Many people (including those on this website) point to "Get Low" by Lil' Jon, but actually Ludacris had been doing that sound for awhile. "Move Bitch" anyone? Rap started becoming harsher and less melodic around 2002 and the musical aspect started to fade.

If rap doesn't get better, then I think it will be much better for it to die and disappear. I want R&B back.

The sound of today's hip-hop had its roots in the late '90s.  There are songs from as far back as 2000 that sound like they could be released today.  Lil' Jon had his first big hit in 2001 with "Bia Bia", two years before Get Low.  I agree that the sound became dominant around 2002.  It has evolved since then but more or less today's rap sounds similar to how it sounded then.  I really liked the brief period from 2007-2009 where synth melodies were emphasized.  I am not sure what the sound was called, but listen to anything by T.I. Lil Wayne, or Young Jeezy from the era and you'll hear the sound I am talking about.  T.I. - Live Your Life is a prime example of this sound.  The Game, Lil Wayne, and Eminem - My Life is another one.  That is probably my favorite era in hip-hop history.

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/01/15 at 7:01 pm

Loved music this year. I'm thinking for 2016 it will be completely different.

I want mid '90s rock music to come back!! :\'(

I also enjoy real EDM (not the pop bubblegum stuff) because that is musically close to the techno/trance of the 2000s.

Wasn't techno actually a '90s thing? Songs such as "Beautiful Life", "Set U Free", "Feels So Good (Show Me Your Love)", "Theme From Mission: Impossible", "Get Ready for This", "This Is Your Night", and "Ray of Light"? Techno always has a euphoric feel with aggressive beats (to me anyway).

Written By: bchris02 on 10/02/15 at 10:47 am

Wasn't techno actually a '90s thing? Songs such as "Beautiful Life", "Set U Free", "Feels So Good (Show Me Your Love)", "Theme From Mission: Impossible", "Get Ready for This", "This Is Your Night", and "Ray of Light"? Techno always has a euphoric feel with aggressive beats (to me anyway).

Yeah, '90s and very early '00s.  Trance was a bigger deal in the mid '00s with artists like Armin van Buuren.  However, during that era most electronica had fallen out of the mainstream.  I don't think it was referred to widely as EDM until around 2011 during the dubstep era, to distinguish it from electropop.

Written By: batfan2005 on 10/11/15 at 5:44 pm

Both ArcticFox and mqg96 have a point.

Many people are the most fond of the music of their early twenties because that is when the part of our brains that appreciates new music and develops our taste is at its peak.  After that, we become more "set in our ways" musically until around age 33 when it becomes much harder to enjoy new music. That's why its rare for people over 40 to like current pop music at all.  There may be songs here and there that older people like but they don't have the same impact that music does when you are in your early twenties. 

On the other side of that, genre does play a part.  If you were into electronic music during the 2000s as I was, you probably liked 2009-2012 the best.  If you were into hip-hop, you probably prefer 2005-2008.  I am past the prime age for new music but there are still new songs coming out that I really do like.  I just don't care for bubblegum or the disco revival.  I never liked classic disco when I was exposed to it as a child.  People who like disco have a strong affinity for 2013.  The new music older people do like are generally offshoots of genres they enjoyed in their twenties.  For instance, I still enjoy today's hip-hop because overall it hasn't really evolved much since the late 1990s.  There are differences, but nothing as drastic as the transition from gangsta rap to the more modern sound that occurred ca. 1996.  I also enjoy 5 Seconds of Summer because it is fairly close musically to the pop punk of the early 2000s.  I also enjoy real EDM (not the pop bubblegum stuff) because that is musically close to the techno/trance of the 2000s.

Actually, the 2005-2008 period was when hip-hop started to decline, except for the snap/ringtone rap. 2001-2004 was better for hip-hop fans. The 2005-2008 period was more of transitional period which was in between hip-hop and EDM.

Written By: mqg96 on 10/12/15 at 5:52 pm

I might be late as hell on this song, but what do y'all think of this?

oqtunQ4yd30

Written By: GH1996 on 10/14/15 at 12:17 am

^ not really my style but it's not bad.

At work we always have the radio playing newer indie kinda music and some of it I actually don't mind, but I'll always be attached to the music of my early to late childhood (late 90's mid/late 00's) for me it's all about nostalgia

Written By: ArcticFox on 10/15/15 at 10:59 am

Like I'm Gonna Lose You - Meghan Trainor (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #28)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2-MBfn8XjIU
Forgot to include this one when it hit the Top 40. It's a nice song. I like it better than "All About that Bass" and "Lips are Movin'", and it's a ballad! Slow songs are nice to see on the charts again. Speaking of which...

Here - Alessia Cara (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #29)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UKp2CrfmVfw
A huge favorite of mine. I've loved it since it first came out. The lyrics are the absolute perfect fit as to how I feel as well! The R&B and Soul mix is eclectic and fresh and brings diversity to the musical Top 40 scene. This girl was born in 1996! It doesn't matter how old the artist is, what matters is the tone of their work.

Same Old Love - Selena Gomez (Billboard Hot 100 Peak: #38)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=naKhF6G36rM
A mature tune by Selena Gomez. She seems really determined to grow up her image. While "Good for You" was basically the slut's anthem, this one has a classy feel to it. It also features Charli XCX uncredited.

There is far more to the charts than just EDM and trap. As a matter of fact, these genres are declining. New styles and genres of music are coming in and taking their place, we are heading more toward a slower tempo, more urban sound. Don't be surprised if next year is filled with ballads, R&B jams, soul and gospel tunes, and mid-tempo tracks instead of uptempo ones. We are heading into a more organic and powerful sound, with less intrusive instrumentation and rap music might completely disappear. We are seeing the first hints of a new era!!

Written By: bchris02 on 11/01/15 at 10:56 am

RSj0mPJsMy0

New song from Chris Brown.  I really like it.  Does anybody think it sounds like it could have come out in the electropop era?  This song could have come out in 2009 and it would have fit right in.

Written By: bchris02 on 11/02/15 at 9:21 pm

I bet on this as being the defining song of the '10s...at least thus far.

lf_wVfwpfp8

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 9:23 pm

I bet on this as being the defining song of the '10s...at least thus far.

lf_wVfwpfp8

;D ;D ;D ;D

It's just flat out laughable! Ouch!!!!!

Written By: mqg96 on 11/02/15 at 9:23 pm

RSj0mPJsMy0

New song from Chris Brown.  I really like it.  Does anybody think it sounds like it could have come out in the electropop era?  This song could have come out in 2009 and it would have fit right in.

I've listened to it a couple of times on my iPhone today! Sounds like one of those songs similar to what Jason Derulo had back in 2010. Matter of fact I need to update my Spotify playlist for 2015 pronto!

Written By: bchris02 on 11/02/15 at 9:30 pm

I've listened to it a couple of times on my iPhone today! Sounds like one of those songs similar to what Jason Derulo had back in 2010. Matter of fact I need to update my Spotify playlist for 2015 pronto!

I agree.  It's a little more melodic than most mid '10s music and the daft punk sounding autotune is a nice touch.  Sounds very early '10s.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 11/03/15 at 7:49 am

I'm actually a really big fan of "How Deep is Your Love" by Calvin Hariss  :D

Written By: batfan2005 on 11/21/15 at 5:50 pm

What I notice in 2015 is the popularity of the Carribean Island sound, such as "Cheerleader" by OMI, "Cha-Cha" by D.R.A.M., and even Justin Bieber's recent single "What Do You Mean". It reminds me of how a lot of 1999 songs had the Latin/Salsa influence.

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 11/22/15 at 8:43 pm

Here are some recent tunes I like:

RwHQfn0s94M

Very promising tune from a singer who's younger than she sounds (17!). Not to be confused with "Hideaway" by Kiesza, which doesn't have a space in the title. It's at #71 on the Hot 100 and in the Top 20 on CHR radio/Mediabase.

B_I8BaqotxU

The Weeknd strikes again. On "In the Night," he "Thrills" us with some MJ vibes. It's already in the Top 40 on radio, and hasn't debuted on the Hot 100 yet (but it should this week).

W8tbQgXyn1c

I love everything I've heard from Tove Lo so far, with "Talking Body" being my favorite. "Moments" is a very raw, honest song about "To hell with being perfect": "I'm not the prettiest you've ever seen, but I have my moments," "I love freaks, I don't care if you're a wild one," "I'm not the flawless one, I've never been, but I have my moments." Should chart this week. Currently #45 on Mediabase.

7g2jv_2HwXo

She drives me crazy (Duh-Duuun! Dun!) Like no one el-- Whoops. Wrong song. :P ;D But "That's How You Know" has the same chord progression. The "Am I Wrong" guys are back with another tune (One not called "In Your Arms," which somehow flopped). The song features Bebe Rexha and Kid Ink (superimposed on some kid's body  ;D). It has made it to #33 on the Billboard Rhythmic chart.

Meghan Trainor ft. John Legend "Like I'm About to Lose You"

I love "All About That Bass," "Lips Are Movin'," "Runaround Sue," (I mean, "Dear Future Husband"  ;) ;D) and "Marvin Gaye." But this song probably tops them all. Reminds me of a 60s duet from the Marvin Gaye/Smokey Robinson/Diana Ross era. Nice to see a song in 12/8 time reach the Top Ten on the Hot 100 and Top 15 on Mediabase.

Alessia Cara "Here"

I agree, this song rocks.

Ariana Grande "Focus"

I. Love. This. Song. Especially the brass section! Do-do-do DOOOO-doooo! Do-do, do-do, do-do, do do-do! I've never heard an Ariana Grande song I didn't like.

Selena Gomez "Same Old Love"

Piano sounds like Supertramp. Chord progression reminds me of "The Thrill is Gone" for some reason. And Selena is on fire again. Never thought I'd say that about Justin Bieber's ex-girlfriend, but ever since "The Heart Wants What It Wants" ...

1u-niluB8HI

Long live the pioneers, Spielberg's, Kubrick's. This song ticks the boxes for what I consider to be rock. An acoustic rock ode to the trailblazers and pioneers, the punks and outcasts. Plus, the video features people with disabilities, which makes it all the more touching. #17 on the Billboard Hot 100. #1 on Adult Top 40, Alternative, Hot Rock, and US Rock airplay. #18 on Adult Contemporary. #8 on Mainstream Top 40.

gNmx9dvcJS0

Rock (Bum! Bum!) Steadyyyy, Steady rockin' all night long! Howard, take note. The 80s are back! The song proudly rips off "Rock Steady" by the Whispers and (gasp!) fades out at the end. How many songs do that nowadays? Hasn't charted yet (to my knowledge), but pop radio is playing it. Also check out "Infatuation."

cwLRQn61oUY

Demi was cool for the summer, now it looks like she's hot for the fall and winter. In what I assume is an homage to Escape From New York, Snake Pliss- I mean Demi Lovato - must track down Michelle Rodriguez (The "I didn't sign up for this sh**" lady from Avatar) in order to be pardoned. Directed by Robert Rodriguez. Drumline sounds like "Rock N Roll Part 2" by Gary Glitter or "Walk" by Pantera. Key is E flat minor, 12/8 time. Plus, it's all about that brass, no woodwind.  ;D #31 on the Hot 100. #25 on Adult Top 40. #14 on Mainstream Top 40.

Adele "Hello"

Is it me you're looking for, Adele? You've probably never heard of this little song from some little known British singer.  ;)

IltwiyqKhEI

Saw her perform this on Jimmy Fallon. Very promising tune. I love "2 On." Should chart this week.

And some flops that deserved better:

nNi0gyO41VQ

Another song/video with Michael vibes. The beat/chord progression rips off "Style," which may be one of the biggest things I like about this song (My favorite Taylor Swift song so far). Peaked @ #66 on the Hot 100. Peaked @ #18 on the Mainstream Top 40. Peaked @ #17 on US Rhythmic.

MkElfR_NPBI

Gonna be your man in motion. This "St. Elmo's Fire"/"Girls Just Wanna Have Fun" copycat deserved better. Sounds nothing like a song from after the 80s.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/02/16 at 3:55 pm

In December 2015, Louisa Johnson, the winner of the twelfth series of The X Factor, released a cover version of Bob Dylan's "Forever Young" as her winner's single. It was released as a single on 13 December 2015, immediately after winning the show, as the lead single from her upcoming debut studio album. Johnson's version entered the UK Singles Chart on 18 December at number nine, the lowest ever position on entry for a debut single from an X Factor winner.

knqyGqsUErg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/04/16 at 12:24 pm

"A Bridge over You" is a 2015 charity single recorded and released independently by the Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Choir, the choir of the Lewisham and Greenwich NHS Trust located in south-east London. It is a mashup of "Bridge over Troubled Water" by Simon & Garfunkel and Coldplay's 2005 single "Fix You", with additional arrangement by the choir's conductor, Peter Mitchell. It reached number one on the UK Singles Chart at Christmas 2015.

yOCdUILmo2s

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/08/16 at 9:35 am

"Bills" is the debut single by American rapper LunchMoney Lewis. The song was released on February 5, 2015 through Kemosabe Records. The song topped the charts in Australia and peaked within the top ten of the charts in Belgium (Flanders), New Zealand, Ireland and the United Kingdom. The extended play was released in April.

_IrQHeDcMi8

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/16/16 at 9:52 am

"Echoes in Rain" is a single by Irish musician Enya, the first to be taken from the 2015 released album Dark Sky Island.

8DDHulO485k

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/16/16 at 4:14 pm

"All I Ask" is a song recorded by English singer and songwriter Adele for her third studio album 25 (2015). The song was written by Adele, Bruno Mars, Philip Lawrence and Christopher Brody Brown, while production of the song was provided by The Smeezingtons. Lyrically, the track is about looking for one last night with a lover, before they go their separate ways. Musically, the song is a deep, resonant piano ballad. "All I Ask" received positive reviews from critics, with many deeming it as an album highlight. The song peaked at number 66 on the France Chart and number 3 on the US Bubbling Under Hot 100 Singles.

A4kXbBHSA9w

Adele suffers a setback during her performance of All I Ask at Monday night’s Grammy Awards. During the song, the singer’s microphone cuts out. Adele later tweeted that the piano mics had fallen onto the strings:

http://www.theguardian.com/music/video/2016/feb/16/adele-suffers-technical-difficulties-at-the-grammys-video

Written By: 2001 on 03/07/16 at 12:32 pm

I'm actually a really big fan of "How Deep is Your Love" by Calvin Hariss  :D

Omg same ;D

I was watching the weather channel and heard that we'll be getting spring weather this week, and Cake By The Ocean by DNCE came on the radio and I couldn't help but dance out of excitement LOL Not a huge fan of the Jonas Brothers but this is a pretty fun song.

Written By: 2001 on 03/08/16 at 10:41 am

More songs! Only ones that I like though.

Talking Body - Tove Lo
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AzRyxGBGiAE
Didn't like Habits (Stay High). It wasn't catchy, it was annoying, and it's lyrics were ridiculous. Now this one I like.

I like this one.

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/05/16 at 9:04 am

"7 Years" is a song by Danish soul-pop band Lukas Graham from their second studio album, Lukas Graham (Blue Album). The song was released as a digital download on 18 September 2015 by Copenhagen Records. The lyric video was uploaded to YouTube on 17 November 2015, and the music video was uploaded on 15 December 2015. It topped the charts in Denmark, Sweden, Austria, Australia, New Zealand, Ireland, the UK, and Canada and gained successful chart appearances in other European countries, as well as the United States. The song was written by Lukas Forchammer, Stefan Forrest, Morten Ristorp, and Morten "Pilo" Pilegaard.

LHCob76kigA

Written By: 2001 on 09/05/16 at 10:25 am

I hated that song! 8-P  ;D

Written By: Looney Toon on 09/05/16 at 11:42 am

-zaPM7nsbXA

2015 gave us some great Electro Swing tracks.  8)

Written By: batfan2005 on 09/06/16 at 2:27 pm

Now that we are well into 2016 and the 2016-2017 school year just started, it looks like your predictions were correct. There's hardly any teen pop songs playing on the radio now. Only maybe one Ariana Grande song, and one Justin Bieber song still hanging on the charts. I remember in Fall of 2001 when Justin Timberlake released his solo debut album. Another parallel I noticed is that R&B artists who released albums in 2000 released albums in 2015, such as Methrone, Jagged Edge, Avant, and J-Shin (in fact the titles of Methrone and Jagged Edge's albums are like sequels to their 2000 albums). In 2016, Tank and Jaheim released albums, and they also released albums in 2001. Also Sum 41 is back this year, bringing the 2001 sound back.

Written By: Philip Eno on 10/10/16 at 1:55 am

"One Call Away" is a song by American singer Charlie Puth for his debut album Nine Track Mind. It was released on August 20, 2015 by Atlantic Records as the second single from the album, after the lead single "Marvin Gaye". "One Call Away" is a gospel-infused pop soul song. It reached number 12 on the Billboard Hot 100, making it Puth's third top 40 single in the US and his highest-charting single as a lead artist to date, behind We Don't Talk Anymore.

BxuY9FET9Y4

Written By: Ripley on 03/01/17 at 5:51 pm

Kylie Minogue & James Cordan "Only You"
107C8PMY8cM
Kylie Minogue & Dannii Minogue "100 Degrees"
7SKyU1k7juw
Kylie Minogue - "Every Day's Like Christmas"
zgrywU-IJHs

Written By: Philip Eno on 04/14/17 at 3:46 am

"Piece by Piece" is a song by American singer Kelly Clarkson taken from her 2015 seventh studio album of the same name. She co-wrote the track with its producer Greg Kurstin. A midtempo pop song about restoring someone's faith in love and family relationships, Clarkson promulgated "Piece by Piece" as a sequel to the song "Because of You" (2004) but with a "happy ending". After a discussion with her sister about their family life, she introspectively co-wrote the song in a first-person narrative to her father, whose neglect of his family was used as a juxtaposition to her husband's unconditional love for her and their daughter, whom they both promised to never abandon.

LqCqYP7hDWI

Written By: Philip Eno on 09/11/18 at 1:39 pm

"Writing's on the Wall" is a song by English singer Sam Smith, written for the release of the 2015 James Bond film Spectre. The song was released as a digital download on 25 September 2015. The song was written by Smith and Jimmy Napes, and produced by the latter alongside Steve Fitzmaurice and Disclosure and released on 25 September 2015. The song won the Golden Globe Award for Best Original Song at the 73rd Golden Globe Awards and the Academy Award for Best Original Song at the 88th Academy Awards, making it the second-ever Bond theme to win (after "Skyfall" by Adele in 2012).

8jzDnsjYv9A

Check for new replies or respond here...