inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: The Big Whiteout

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/15 at 10:02 pm

An emergency has been declared in several US states as a storm bringing hurricane-force winds and 90cm (36ins) of snow barrels down on the north-east.

Boston, New York and Philadelphia began shutting down Monday evening as the flurries began, with the worst ahead.

Non-emergency vehicles have been banned on New York City's 6,000 miles of roads after 23:00 local time.

"Recognise this as an emergency, this is not business as usual," said Mayor Bill de Blasio.

New York, New Jersey, Connecticut, Rhode Island and Massachusetts have declared states of emergency and 50 million people are expected to wake up to a foot of snow on Tuesday.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-30978320

Subject: Re: The Big Whiteout

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/26/15 at 10:22 pm

New York City subway and bus service was to be suspended at 11 p.m. Monday, the first time subways were shut down because of snow. Long Island Rail Road, Metro North, Staten Island Railroad and PATH service are suspended beginning at 11 p.m. until further notice.

Across the Hudson River in New Jersey, Gov. Chris Christie declared a state of emergency, authoring the closure of the state government for all non-essential employees Tuesday and activating the state emergency response plans. Connecticut Gov. Dannel P. Malloy also issued a travel ban for the state after 9 p.m. Monday.

"Do not plan on traveling unless absolutely necessary from Monday evening through the duration of the storm," Gov. Malloy said at a press conference.

Written By: meesa on 01/26/15 at 10:50 pm

All who are in the area please be careful, will be thinking of you!

Written By: Howard on 01/27/15 at 7:37 am

New York wound up 6-8 inches of snow not as big of an impact but quite dangerous to say the most. I'm staying home today.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/27/15 at 5:49 pm

New York wound up 6-8 inches of snow not as big of an impact but quite dangerous to say the most. I'm staying home today.
Snow + no buses = whoo-hoo!

Written By: loki 13 on 01/27/15 at 7:14 pm

For those in New England I do feel for you, be careful and stay safe.

As for me:

Much ado about nothing.

The weather terrorist were screaming for two days about the epic blizzard. Philadelphia could get up to
2 feet of snow. Before the storm hit; businesses shut down, schools closed, public transportation ceased
operations, City government closed, travel restrictions put in place, groceries sold out of milk, bread and
eggs. All of this happened because of the sensationalism of journalist and their want for ratings. There
was a weather report out since Saturday that called for 1 to 3 inches for the Philadelphia Are. That report
did not change yet no one reported on it, why? No ratings for a dusting, The blizzard was close enough for
a worst case scenario so let's report that.

Christie put a driving restriction out for the entire state of New Jersey which was not lifted when I left for
work this morning. Basically, I broke the law going to work but were they really going to pull me over in that
whopping 1/2" of snow? The blizzard of '15 dropped less than an inch of snow on the I95 corridor yet so many
people were off due to sensationalism.

Written By: Howard on 01/28/15 at 3:00 pm

Snow + no buses = whoo-hoo!

buses were suspended for a day, today buses were back on schedule but slowly.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/28/15 at 6:09 pm

The typical amount our snow storms produce!  :D I had to call in a couple weeks ago because I couldn't even see outside my window, plus they don't plow ASAP in my neighborhood.

For those in New England I do feel for you, be careful and stay safe.

As for me:

Much ado about nothing.

The weather terrorist were screaming for two days about the epic blizzard. Philadelphia could get up to
2 feet of snow. Before the storm hit; businesses shut down, schools closed, public transportation ceased
operations, City government closed, travel restrictions put in place, groceries sold out of milk, bread and
eggs. All of this happened because of the sensationalism of journalist and their want for ratings. There
was a weather report out since Saturday that called for 1 to 3 inches for the Philadelphia Are. That report
did not change yet no one reported on it, why? No ratings for a dusting, The blizzard was close enough for
a worst case scenario so let's report that.

Christie put a driving restriction out for the entire state of New Jersey which was not lifted when I left for
work this morning. Basically, I broke the law going to work but were they really going to pull me over in that
whopping 1/2" of snow? The blizzard of '15 dropped less than an inch of snow on the I95 corridor yet so many
people were off due to sensationalism.

The government shut down all the roads just for that?  >:( Nice logic. OMG, LET'S PANIC!  ::) The media needs to stop crapping their pants over it and wait to see what actually happens. Estimating high to be on the safe side I get, but inducing panic isn't necessary. Being prepared, also a good idea incase, but still.

Written By: loki 13 on 01/28/15 at 7:23 pm

The government shut down all the roads just for that?  >:( Nice logic. OMG, LET'S PANIC!  ::) The media needs to stop crapping their pants over it and wait to see what actually happens. Estimating high to be on the safe side I get, but inducing panic isn't necessary. Being prepared, also a good idea incase, but still.

The funny thing is that when they decided to shut everything down it wasn't even snowing.

There was an article in today's paper about it. it turns out that all the news agencies had the right information
as early as Monday afternoon. 4 of the 5 models used to forecast the weather had the storm further east which
would leave the Philadelphia area with very little snow. They chose to use the European model which had a the
devastating snowfall amounts, they say because it is usually more accurate, I say more sensational. The Weather
Channel, however, went with the dentist who chose Crest, the moms who chose Jiff and any one else who sides with
the 4 out of 5 and got the forecast right.

I like the buzz words the weather terrorist use when describing the impending doom. "These two lows will combine
and will EXPLODE off the coast and HAMMER our area with BLISTERING wind BLINDING snow and BONE CHILLING cold."
It is irresponsible but it gets ratings and that is all that counts.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/15 at 7:46 am

My sister in Conn. said that she only got about 9 inches.

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/29/15 at 8:19 am

The funny thing is that when they decided to shut everything down it wasn't even snowing.

There was an article in today's paper about it. it turns out that all the news agencies had the right information
as early as Monday afternoon. 4 of the 5 models used to forecast the weather had the storm further east which
would leave the Philadelphia area with very little snow. They chose to use the European model which had a the
devastating snowfall amounts, they say because it is usually more accurate, I say more sensational. The Weather
Channel, however, went with the dentist who chose Crest, the moms who chose Jiff and any one else who sides with
the 4 out of 5 and got the forecast right.

I like the buzz words the weather terrorist use when describing the impending doom. "These two lows will combine
and will EXPLODE off the coast and HAMMER our area with BLISTERING wind BLINDING snow and BONE CHILLING cold."

Sometimes they even cut into programs to tell you about it, but there'll be a picture with the color coded areas on the screen non stop. Right now we're having something worse than snow. Freezing rain. It's completely iced over out there and on the way home I saw plenty of cars in the ditch. If this was an ice storm there'd be now power. I only ever remember one ice storm and it wasn't fun.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/15 at 9:12 am

Sometimes they even cut into programs to tell you about it, but there'll be a picture with the color coded areas on the screen non stop. Right now we're having something worse than snow. Freezing rain. It's completely iced over out there and on the way home I saw plenty of cars in the ditch. If this was an ice storm there'd be now power. I only ever remember one ice storm and it wasn't fun.

Yes, freezing rain is MUCH worse than snow.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/29/15 at 2:35 pm

The typical amount our snow storms produce!  :D I had to call in a couple weeks ago because I couldn't even see outside my window, plus they don't plow ASAP in my neighborhood.

I know, they don't plow well enough to even melt the snow. ::)

The meteorologists kept saying New York will get 2-3 feet of snow and wound up being just 9 inches, so they can be wrong sometimes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/15 at 2:37 pm

Cat
That creates slippery ice on the roads.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/15 at 2:38 pm

Loki, don't forget "Snowmageddon" which combines snow + Armageddon together and you got a word like that.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/15 at 2:38 pm

which is quite dangerous to walk on.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/15 at 2:39 pm

My sister in Conn. said that she only got about 9 inches.

Cat

We got about 9 inches here as well.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/29/15 at 2:40 pm

which is quite dangerous to walk on.
Dangerous for the cars.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/15 at 2:40 pm

They'll always tell you which places to avoid too.

Written By: Howard on 01/29/15 at 2:41 pm

Dangerous for the cars.

could cause collisions.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/29/15 at 6:58 pm

Cat

It should be done by now, but it was nasty. I had to crawl to the car this morning, I didn't care how ridiculous that looked. I couldn't stand up.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/29/15 at 7:00 pm

It should be done by now, but it was nasty. I had to crawl to the car this morning, I didn't care how ridiculous that looked. I couldn't stand up.

Did you hear Paul Simon as you went?

"Slip slidin' away..."  ;)

(I know you will always hear him now. lol)

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/30/15 at 7:38 am

Did you hear Paul Simon as you went?

"Slip slidin' away..."  ;)

(I know you will always hear him now. lol)

Cat

No, but I'm just happy I made it home.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/15 at 7:43 am

Well once again New York will get another snowstorm this time Sunday Night into Monday somewhere they predict 4-6 inches, I say bring it on, bring on the snow it won't be long till it melts again and get ready for a warm Spring.

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/30/15 at 8:35 am

Well once again New York will get another snowstorm this time Sunday Night into Monday somewhere they predict 4-6 inches, I say bring it on, bring on the snow it won't be long till it melts again and get ready for a warm Spring.

Before spring there's always another big snow storm or two.

Written By: Howard on 01/30/15 at 8:37 am

Before spring there's always another big snow storm or two.

I know, it always happens.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/15 at 9:35 am

On Monday will be the half-way point of winter. If Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow on Monday, there will be 6 more weeks of winter. If he does see his shadow, spring will be here in 6 weeks.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/30/15 at 2:21 pm

On Monday will be the half-way point of winter. If Punxsutawney Phil sees his shadow on Monday, there will be 6 more weeks of winter. If he does see his shadow, spring will be here in 6 weeks.

Cat

It doesn't matter, it's still cold, the snow isn't going melt any faster. What we need is a small warmup or a big rainstorm to help get rid of the snow.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/15 at 3:44 pm

Hate to tell all of you the temp it is here.

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/30/15 at 5:44 pm

Cat

What is it?

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/30/15 at 6:34 pm

What is it?

Are you sure you want to know?

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/31/15 at 7:07 am

Are you sure you want to know?

Cat

Yes, it was 22 degrees this morning.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/15 at 7:41 am

Cat

Below zero? ???

Written By: Howard on 01/31/15 at 7:44 am

Yes, it was 22 degrees this morning.

It's a bitterly cold 13 here in New York with a wind chill of -1.

Written By: Howard on 01/31/15 at 7:45 am

Now meteorologists are saying another 6-10 inches of snow will fall and also something for next Wednesday too as well.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/15 at 8:08 am

Right now it is a little cool-it is only 75. It is supposed to get up to 83 today.

You said you REALLY wanted to know.

Cat

Written By: KatanaChick on 01/31/15 at 8:22 am

Right now it is a little cool-it is only 75. It is supposed to get up to 83 today.

You said you REALLY wanted to know.

Cat

You can keep the 80 degrees. I'd just be happy not being cold.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 01/31/15 at 8:33 am

Actually, I miss the cool weather.

Cat

Written By: Howard on 01/31/15 at 8:35 am

Let me take the 80, you can take the 13.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/27/15 at 4:37 am

Let me take the 80, you can take the 13.
All clear now?

Written By: Howard on 02/27/15 at 2:49 pm

All clear now?

Nope, not quite, still have a lot of ice on the ground and plenty of dirty snow to deal with. I hope by the middle of March all this goes away for us to enjoy Spring.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/15 at 4:44 am

Nope, not quite, still have a lot of ice on the ground and plenty of dirty snow to deal with. I hope by the middle of March all this goes away for us to enjoy Spring.
We call that slush back home.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/15 at 6:52 am

We call that slush back home.

Then the slush turns to ice and refreezes again.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/01/15 at 4:40 am

Then the slush turns to ice and refreezes again.
Very bad to drive on?

Written By: Howard on 03/01/15 at 1:36 pm

Very bad to drive on?

and quite dangerous, could cause spin-outs.

Check for new replies or respond here...