inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Da Da Da Da HEY! - Gary Glitter Sentenced to 16 Years

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/05/15 at 7:11 pm

British glam rocker Gary Glitter, a.k.a. Paul Gadd, a.k.a. "The guy who did that song that goes Da Da Da Da HEY that is played at sporting events" has been convicted of six child sex offences in a British court.

The story goes on to say that he could get sentenced to life in prison.  :o

A few years back he did 2 or 3 years in a Vietnamese prison for being a perv.  I remember at the time being surprised that he was not simply executed by the Viets.

http://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/2015/feb/05/gary-glitter-guilty-child-sex-offences

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2009/08/21/article-1208230-062399FD000005DC-231_224x423.jpg

Subject: Re: Da Da Da Da HEY! - Gary Glitter Convicted Again

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/15 at 5:43 am

Are royalties still be paid?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/06/15 at 11:06 am

I imagine so.  They usually play the actual recording and not any cover version.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/06/15 at 6:10 pm

According to this article, the song rakes in $250,000 in performance royalties annually.  :o

http://www.billboard.com/biz/articles/news/legal-and-management/6273999/why-convicted-child-sex-offender-gary-glitters-hey

Not bad for a tune that was recorded 43 years ago.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/15 at 6:53 pm

The BBC in the UK are not playing his songs on television or radio, due to his background, and after Operation Yewtree, the same has happened to Rolf Harris, who has been charge and sentence to prison for similar offences.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/06/15 at 7:15 pm

I wonder if they'll play the "Hey Song" as he is walked into the prison? ???

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/15 at 7:19 pm

I wonder if they'll play the "Hey Song" as he is walked into the prison? ???
I will only say this once, the correct title of the song is "I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am)", it reached #1 in the UK in 1973.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/06/15 at 7:50 pm

I will only say this once, the correct title of the song is "I'm The Leader Of The Gang (I Am)", it reached #1 in the UK in 1973.

Here in the states it is known as "Rock and Roll (Part 2)".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rock_and_Roll_(Gary_Glitter_song)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/15 at 7:57 pm

I took it to be the lyric part " come on, come hey", but that da da etc, does fit, my error. Anyway I wish to keep my distant from those songs.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/15 at 8:01 pm

Do the football clubs/teams realise the connotations of the song?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/06/15 at 8:15 pm

Do the football clubs/teams realise the connotations of the song?

Well since the "Part 2" track only consists of instrumentals and the word "Hey" shouted a number of times, I'm not sure there IS a connotation.  ;D

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/06/15 at 8:16 pm

Well since the "Part 2" track only consists of instrumentals and the word "Hey" shouted a number of times, I'm not sure there IS a connotation.  ;D
I meant where this chant came from, i.e. who composed it?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/15 at 4:42 am

I meant where this chant came from, i.e. who composed it?

Well the NFL banned the song I think back in '06 or '07 when Vietnam convicted Mr Gutter Glitter. The NFZl head office has that authority over the teams, unlike some other sport leagues.

But apparently the countless basketball, baseball, and hockey teams did not get the memo.

One phenomenon is that at some venues, the crowd chants "Hey you suck" instead of just "Hey!" 

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/15 at 4:44 am

Well the NFL banned the song I think back in '06 or '07 when Vietnam convicted Mr Glitter. The NFZl head office has that authority over the teams, unlike some other sport leagues.

But apparently the countless basketball, baseball, and hockey teams did not get the memo.

One phenomenon is that at some venues, the crowd chants "Hey you suck" instead of just "Hey!" 
The individual team managers should use their conscience now?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/15 at 4:51 am

The individual team managers should use their conscience now?

Yes. Perhaps they could replace this song with a catchy tune done by, say, Michael Jackson or R. Kelly.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/15 at 4:56 am

Yes. Perhaps they could replace this song with a catchy tune done by, say, Michael Jackson or R. Kelly.
I would there would be a MJ song or riff that could use?

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/15 at 5:55 am

I would there would be a MJ song or riff that could use?

MJ's "Beat It" could fit the sports theme, and the tune is catchy. Fans could dress up like characters from the video. They could have a 'head shake cam' that zooms in on fans doing that head shake move from the video. 8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/07/15 at 6:25 am

MJ's "Beat It" could fit the sports theme, and the tune is catchy. Fans could dress up like characters from the video. They could have a 'head shake cam' that zooms in on fans doing that head shake move from the video. 8)
...or dress as 'Thriller'?

Written By: Howard on 02/07/15 at 7:07 am

How is that possible? ???

Written By: Howard on 02/07/15 at 7:08 am

everybody dresses like a zombie.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/07/15 at 9:01 am

Nah, "Beat It" would be the best pick, due to the line that goes "No one wants to be defeated".

And the head shaking move.

zCMXKa0XHlU

Written By: whistledog on 02/07/15 at 9:18 pm

Despite all that Gary Glitter has done in his personal life, I still love his 1984 hit Another Rock and Roll Christmas.  I listen to it every December

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/08/15 at 5:58 am

In a similar vein, but this time in Rugby Union:

Classic Tom Jones track Delilah reverberates around Cardiff's Millennium Stadium before every rugby union international. But now there are calls for it to be played no more. Veteran folk singer and politician Dafydd Iwan says the ballad should be replaced because it tells the story of the brutal murder of a woman who's cheated on her partner.

Quoted in several national newspapers, Mr Iwan said: "It is a song about murder and it does tend to trivialise the idea of murdering a woman and it's a pity these words now have been elevated to the status of a secondary national anthem." The Welsh Rugby Union, quoted by the South Wales Evening Post, say they "condemn violence against women," and will "listen to any strong public debate on the issue of censoring the use of Delilah." So will Mr Iwan's comments force other nations to reconsider their pre-match song choice?

England's adopted anthem is actually all about slavery. First recorded in America in the early 20th century, Swing Low, Sweet Chariot refers to the underground railroad that slaves used to escape to the north of the country. The song has since been covered by iconic artists like Louis Armstrong, Etta James and Johnny Cash. It was also used during the 1960s Civil Rights movement and was performed by American folk singer Joan Baez during the legendary 1969 Woodstock festival.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/newsbeat/30428974

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/28/15 at 8:11 am

Well the sentencing for Gary Glitter in his paedophilia case came down yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2971695/Paedophile-singer-Gary-Glitter-jailed-16-years-historic-sex-attacks-three-schoolgirls.html

The judge gave him 16 years in the slammer.  :o  This is probably a good deal for him, because earlier I had been reading that he could have possibly gotten a life sentence.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/15 at 10:38 pm

Well the sentencing for Gary Glitter in his paedophilia case came down yesterday.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2971695/Paedophile-singer-Gary-Glitter-jailed-16-years-historic-sex-attacks-three-schoolgirls.html

The judge gave him 16 years in the slammer.  :o  This is probably a good deal for him, because earlier I had been reading that he could have possibly gotten a life sentence.
Locked away with all the others, separately of course!

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/15 at 9:22 am

Locked away with all the others, separately of course!

And here's the anthem that will play as he's walked into the pokey...

YprGECobIXQ

Written By: Howard on 03/01/15 at 1:30 pm

And here's the anthem that will play as he's walked into the pokey...

YprGECobIXQ

That's a cool song.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/01/15 at 3:02 pm

That's a cool song.

Gary Glitter brings in about $280k per year of royalties for that song.  So when he gets out of jail in 16 years he'll have over $4 million waiting for him. 

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/19/15 at 12:35 am

Gary Glitter brings in about $280k per year of royalties for that song.  So when he gets out of jail in 16 years he'll have over $4 million waiting for him.

Yeah so why can't he manage to keep it in his pants where it belongs and stop raping young girls?

Subject: Re: Da Da Da Da HEY! - Gary Glitter Sentenced to 16 Years

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/19/15 at 5:35 am

Yeah so why can't he manage to keep it in his pants where it belongs and stop raping young girls?
Castration?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/19/15 at 6:10 pm

Castration?

No I wouldn't go THAT far.  Maybe keep his legs closed?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/19/15 at 6:43 pm

No I wouldn't go THAT far.  Maybe keep his legs closed?

Bilateral Inguinal Orchiectomy at the minimum.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/20/15 at 3:12 am

Castration?

Bilateral Inguinal Orchiectomy at the minimum.
Same thing?

Written By: c_keenan2001@hotmail.com on 03/20/15 at 5:01 pm

Same thing?

Not quite. 

http://www.webmd.com/cancer/radical-inguinal-orchiectomy-for-testicular-cancer

An orchiectomy is when they remove both of the testicles.  It's a surgical procedure that's often used to control testicular cancer in men

http://www.webmd.com/sex/birth-control/vasectomy-14387

A vasectomy is when the tubes that lead to the testicles called the vas deferences are tied up and cut to prevent sperm from being released and is considered to be a permanent form of birth control

Check for new replies or respond here...