inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Bob Dylan takes on critics in acceptance speech

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/09/15 at 10:51 pm

Bob Dylan has turned the tables on his critics during a 30-minute speech, at a charity gala honouring his career.

The 73-year-old, who rarely talks about his work, asked why critics complain he "can't sing" and sounds "like a frog" but do not "say that about Tom Waits?"

"Critics say my voice is shot, that I have no voice. Why don't they say those things about Leonard Cohen? Why do I get special treatment?" he continued.

The event was to mark charity Musicares naming Dylan their person of the year.

Artists including Tom Jones, Jack White, Beck, Sheryl Crow and Crosby, Stills and Nash performed covers of Dylan's work at the pre-Grammys event in Los Angeles on Friday night.

Springsteen joined Rage Against the Machine star Tom Morello for a version of Knockin' on Heaven's Door, while Neil Young played Dylan classic Blowin' in the Wind.

Dylan did not perform, but instead appeared on stage with a pile of loose papers, which he referred to saying: "I'm going to read some of this."

After a standing ovation, Dylan said: "Critics say I can't carry a tune and I talk my way through a song. Really? I've never heard that said about Lou Reed. Why does he get to go scot-free?" he asked.

Full report: http://www.bbc.com/news/entertainment-arts-31292870

Subject: Re: Bob Dylan takes on critics in acceptance speech

Written By: 80sfan on 02/09/15 at 11:29 pm

He has a point.  8)

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/15 at 12:58 am

He has a point.  8)
...and the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

Written By: 80sfan on 02/10/15 at 1:06 am

...and the answer my friend is blowing in the wind.

I don't get it but I don't think twice, that's alright!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/10/15 at 1:32 am

I don't get it but I don't think twice, that's alright!
He had the critics tangled up in blue!

Check for new replies or respond here...