inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Does any body here still watch TV??

Written By: JohnMarston on 02/16/15 at 7:06 pm

With the revolution of Netflix, online streaming and 'on demand' services I haven't even touched my TV in a few months. I find myself catching up online on my laptop, tablet or phone and reading the news online. In fact I've noticed the 12-25 age demographic don't even watch TV any more. The traditional concept of the TV uniting the household is fading (similar to the dinner table etc.). Opinions?

Subject: Re: Does any body here still watch TV??

Written By: nally on 02/16/15 at 7:12 pm

Hi, welcome to the boards.

I mainly watch reruns on TV (that is, old programs), as well as news and sports programs. I also like to watch "Jeopardy".

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/16/15 at 8:52 pm

I watch TV! I love television. It has so much more to offer than movies. I watch Netflix on my TV. I also do it on my Nexus 7, but the sound quality sucks big time. I  think the fact that so few young people watch television these days is the reason that there aren't any teen shows anymore. It's either aimed at children or adults. Often times aimed at families. Screw modern times. Why can't we go back to the '90s when everything was awesome?!

Written By: mxcrashxm on 02/16/15 at 9:41 pm

I watch TV! I love television. It has so much more to offer than movies. I watch Netflix on my TV. I also do it on my Nexus 7, but the sound quality sucks big time. I  think the fact that so few young people watch television these days is the reason that there aren't any teen shows anymore. It's either aimed at children or adults. Often times aimed at families. Screw modern times. Why can't we go back to the '90s when everything was awesome?!

With the revolution of Netflix, online streaming and 'on demand' services I haven't even touched my TV in a few months. I find myself catching up online on my laptop, tablet or phone and reading the news online. In fact I've noticed the 12-25 age demographic don't even watch TV any more. The traditional concept of the TV uniting the household is fading (similar to the dinner table etc.). Opinions?

The reason is that we are consumed in technology. Since we have PCs, phones, On Demand boxes and Tabs/Ipads, most people don't need TV anymore as they can catch up on their shows anywhere. Another thing is that there's too many reality shows on that don't make any sense. I use to watch TV everyday, now I only watch it in the morning and at night. The quality of shows may have also gone downhill which may have cause people to turn from the TV.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/16/15 at 10:42 pm

I'm surprised!! I'm about the same age as you and I love (HBO)True Detective, GOT, (AMC)The Walking Dead, Breaking Bad, Better Call Saul,(FX)Fargo, Veep, (FOX)Gotham etc. ECG. Television really is in it's second golden age currently.
I also watch Adult Swim and Comedy Central as well  :). 

Written By: snozberries on 02/17/15 at 1:02 am

Not only do I still watch TV... I actually still watch LIVE Tv... meaning I refuse to DVR shows like Walking Dead, Orphan Black and Game of Thrones.  If the show is spoiler heavy I must watch it... as it airs.... commercials and all!

Written By: bookmistress4ever on 02/17/15 at 3:01 am

Yes, I watch television all the time.  I'm not in the popular demographic anymore, so my opinions will be nil, even though I have more money now then I ever have had in my youth.  I don't watch much advertisements since I like to DVR most everything and forward through the commercials.  I watch On-demand and Red Box still through television.  I really need to cancel my whole cable package though it was raised yet again since my contract ended a week ago.  It's ridiculous and my husband is very angry about how much it is.  I do not want to jump into another contract anywhere because we'll be leaving within the year or less. 
I may just subscribe to Hulu plus and some sort of wifi with a local company (much cheaper then cable/internet/phone "deal" that I've been having to deal with for the past two years.)

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/17/15 at 6:06 am

Not really. I usually find my stuff on-line (Youtube or other video sites). I think I stopped watching TV around 2013. It is so boring and you can't trust TV anymore. Even our national public channels are superficial as hell. I watch TV occasionally when I am at a hotel, though.

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/17/15 at 8:03 am

We usually watch MSNBC (news), HGTV, The History Channel, Animal Planet, and I hate to admit it but I do love the show Storage Wars.  :-[

Cat

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/17/15 at 9:53 am

Some of y'all just ain't watching the right sheesh!!  8-P

Written By: CatwomanofV on 02/17/15 at 10:09 am

Some of y'all just ain't watching the right sheesh!!  8-P

People watch what they want to watch-what they find entertaining. What each person finds entertaining is totally different from what the next person finds entertaining. To each his/her own.

Cat

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/17/15 at 10:15 am

People watch what they want to watch-what they find entertaining. What each person finds entertaining is totally different from what the next person finds entertaining. To each his/her own.

True true  8)
Cat

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/17/15 at 10:15 am

Some of y'all just ain't watching the right stuff!!  8-P

Written By: Howard on 02/17/15 at 2:27 pm

The reason is that we are consumed in technology. Since we have PCs, phones, On Demand boxes and Tabs/Ipads, most people don't need TV anymore as they can catch up on their shows anywhere. Another thing is that there's too many reality shows on that don't make any sense. I use to watch TV everyday, now I only watch it in the morning and at night. The quality of shows may have also gone downhill which may have cause people to turn from the TV.

I agree, with so much stuff and over 500 channels on Netflix, Hulu and Crackle there's no reason to watch so much television these days.

Written By: Howard on 02/17/15 at 2:29 pm

I do watch TV but not a lot of it, once in a while I might want to watch a film on Netflix or Crackle or some old episodes from television shows.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/18/15 at 6:25 pm

.... and I hate to admit it but I do love the show Storage Wars.  :-[

Cat

;D ;D

Written By: Shemp97 on 02/18/15 at 7:58 pm

Tbh, I myself don't even feel compelled to watch TV that often anymore except for news, TMZ, ET, etc. Sometimes my family and I sit down to watch Grimm every now and then. Youtube is my no. 1 show viewing medium.

Written By: Howard on 02/19/15 at 3:53 pm

Youtube is my no. 1 show viewing medium.

You can watch full shows on YouTube.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/19/15 at 10:56 pm

Yes, I do when I can.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 7:52 am

I do watch TV but now with everything or mostly everything on Netflix and Hulu there's no reason to watch a lot of it.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/20/15 at 8:00 am

All the time!

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 3:46 pm

Do you think TV is good now as compared to 30 years ago?

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/20/15 at 4:15 pm

I think television was actually better in the '90s compared to the '80s. Both my parents think this too.

Written By: Howard on 02/20/15 at 4:18 pm

I think television was actually better in the '90s compared to the '80s. Both my parents think this too.

Reality TV: 2015
Family Sitcoms:1985

Written By: snozberries on 02/20/15 at 6:46 pm

I think it's better.  There are plenty of shows that have excellent acting,are extremely well written and have great production values.  The shoes 30 yrs ago weren't made with as much attention to detail

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/20/15 at 6:49 pm

I agree 10000 precent

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/20/15 at 7:00 pm

Young Jaleel White knocked Alf's socks off as Steve Urkel in the years 1989-1993.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/20/15 at 8:14 pm

Reality TV: 2015
Family Sitcoms:1985

Eh..... That better described 2005 than 2015. I honestly think in the past couple years reality tv has been nowhere NEAR as popular as it once was.

Written By: nally on 02/20/15 at 11:28 pm

Eh..... That better described 2005 than 2015. I honestly think in the past couple years reality tv has been nowhere NEAR as popular as it once was.

Yep, I agree; the reality show craze started to die down. I remember it was immensely popular during the 00s; I never really got into such shows. However, there are still some reality programs on TV.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/20/15 at 11:30 pm

Yep, I agree; the reality show craze started to die down. I remember it was immensely popular during the 00s; I never really got into such shows. However, there are still some reality programs on TV.
[/quote
In my view the 10s the era of Tv would be the era of Cable Televison dramas and comedy(HBO,SHOWTIME,AMC,FX,USA)

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/21/15 at 7:08 am

I wish that VH1 would bring back Bret Michael's Rock of Love. That was reality TV at its finest.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/15 at 7:11 am

Young Jaleel White knocked Alf's socks off as Steve Urkel in the years 1989-1993.

He played the quirky nerd to a T.

Written By: Howard on 02/21/15 at 7:12 am

You remember when Family sitcoms were popular?

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/15 at 4:22 pm

I was REAL little when family sitcoms (Roseanne,Married with Children,Step by Step,Home Improvement,etc.)were still popular. For me as a child it was gritty comedy's like Seinfeld,Friends, Spin City,Dharma and Greg,Frasier,Will&Grace, Everybody Loves Raymond, Malcolm in the Middle,That 70s Show, etc.dominated. As an older kid Two and a Half Men, How I met your Mother, 30 Rock, The office,Scrubs,Arrested Development,were the big shows. For majority of my teen years the biggest sitcoms  I recall were Modern Family, The middle,Big Bang Theory,How I met your mother etc. All of the other comedy shows during those years weren't really sitcom like and mainly pure out comedy. 

Written By: Howard on 02/21/15 at 5:55 pm

I was REAL little when family sitcoms (Roseanne,Married with Children,Step by Step,Home Improvement,etc.)were still popular. For me as a child it was gritty comedy's like Seinfeld,Friends, Spin City,Dharma and Greg,Frasier,Will&Grace, Everybody Loves Raymond, Malcolm in the Middle,That 70s Show, etc.dominated. As an older kid Two and a Half Men, How I met your Mother, 30 Rock, The office,Scrubs,Arrested Development,were the big shows. For majority of my teen years the biggest sitcoms  I recall were Modern Family, The middle,Big Bang Theory,How I met your mother etc. All of the other comedy shows during those years weren't really sitcom like and mainly pure out comedy.

I'm older than you, I grew up with shows like Silver Spoons, Family Ties and Different Strokes.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/21/15 at 5:56 pm

Married with Children was a satire of a family sitcom.

Written By: LyricBoy on 02/21/15 at 6:19 pm

Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, and The Beverly Hillbillies were good wholesome sitcom fun.  :)

Lots of laughs without the filth that you see these days.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/15 at 7:13 pm

I'm older than you, I grew up with shows like Silver Spoons, Family Ties and Different Strokes.

Ahh yes, you're about 20/21 years older than I am. I saw reruns of DS and Family Ties in the mid 2000s.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/21/15 at 7:38 pm

I wish that VH1 would bring back Bret Michael's Rock of Love. That was reality TV at its finest.

I don't. The women were trashy and the "prize" wasn't much of a prize.  ::) I suppose it was a step or two better than the Flava Flav version.  8-P

I used to watch Roseanne and Married With Children all the time! Step By Step was part of the TGIF lineup with Family Matters. I still remember Fraiser reruns in the early 2000s. Raymond still comes on, this past summer it did. Two and A Half Men got lame and they should have cancelled it long ago instead of introducing new characters. I remember The Office, it originated in the UK first. Now Raine Wilson is on a crime show. Modern Family is more of a this decade show, and so is Big Bang, The Middle, and Two Broke Girls. It's reality shows that need to go! There are things people I work with are telling me about like American Horror Story and something called The Strand, so horror shows must be gaining some popularity? I haven't seen either yet and don't know when they're on.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/21/15 at 9:27 pm

I don't. The women were trashy and the "prize" wasn't much of a prize.  ::) I suppose it was a step or two better than the Flava Flav version.  8-P
I used to watch Roseanne and Married With Children all the time! Step By Step was part of the TGIF lineup with Family Matters. I still remember Fraiser reruns in the early 2000s. Raymond still comes on, this past summer it did. Two and A Half Men got lame and they should have cancelled it long ago instead of introducing new characters. I remember The Office, it originated in the UK first. Now Raine Wilson is on a crime show. Modern Family is more of a this decade show, and so is Big Bang, The Middle, and Two Broke Girls. It's reality shows that need to go! There are things people I work with are telling me about like American Horror Story and something called The Strand, so horror shows must be gaining some popularity? I haven't seen either yet and don't know when they're on.

AHs and The Strand are on F/X.

Written By: nally on 02/21/15 at 10:19 pm

Yes. I grew up watching some of them in the 80s and early 90s.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/15 at 2:52 pm

Green Acres, Petticoat Junction, and The Beverly Hillbillies were good wholesome sitcom fun.  :)

Lots of laughs without the filth that you see these days.

Those were good family sitcoms.

Written By: Howard on 02/22/15 at 2:54 pm

Ahh yes, you're about 20/21 years older than I am. I saw reruns of DS and Family Ties in the mid 2000s.

and you can watch a few family sitcoms from the 80's on YouTube and Dailymotion nowadays.

Check for new replies or respond here...