inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Anyone miss the early 2010s sound?!

Written By: 97er on 02/22/15 at 11:42 am

In 2009-2012 electro pop was fun and it made you wanna party.

Examples of early 2010s electro pop/EDM:

Sexy Chick- David Guetta
Tik Tok, We R Who We R, Die Young- Kesha
Right Round- Flo Rida
Party Rock Anthem and Sexy And I Know It-LMFAO
Dynamite- Taio Cruz
S&M, Only Girl in The World, We Found Love- Rihanna
Love Game and Just Dance - Lady Gaga
Boom Boom Pow, Can't Get Enough, I Gotta Feeling- Black Eyed Peas
La La La - Cobra Starship

Then again, I have very fond memories of those times. I was 12-15 those years.

Subject: Re: Anyone miss the early 2010s sound?!

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/15 at 1:01 pm

I completely agree.  I was in my early twenties during those years and they were probably the most exciting of my life.  I think some of the best music of the modern era came out during that period.  It's surprising that artists like Kesha and Lady Gaga have virtually fallen off the map considering how popular they were in the late '00s and early '10s.

I really liked the sound back then that had urban and EDM influence.  It was quite different from the Ariana Grande sound of today.  It's more reminiscent of Friday by Rebecca Black than anything by Gaga, Kesha, or early Katy Perry.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/22/15 at 2:18 pm

I completely agree.  I was in my early twenties during those years and they were probably the most exciting of my life.  I think some of the best music of the modern era came out during that period.  It's surprising that artists like Kesha and Lady Gaga have virtually fallen off the map considering how popular they were in the late '00s and early '10s.

I really liked the sound back then that had urban and EDM influence.  It was quite different from the Ariana Grande sound of today.  It's more reminiscent of Friday by Rebecca Black than anything by Gaga, Kesha, or early Katy Perry.

Wow we couldn't disagree more. Me being in my teen years for most of that era, it was a VERY awkening for me becuase I used to the rock and rap culture during most of my childhood years. Maybe it was fun to people you're age group, but trust me people in my age group HATEf the music that was coming out during that time period. Music was no longer cutting edge to us anymore. We all thought that it went kinda gay.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/22/15 at 2:42 pm

Wow we couldn't disagree more. Me being in my teen years for most of that era, it was a VERY awkening for me becuase I used to the rock and rap culture during most of my childhood years. Maybe it was fun to people you're age group, but trust me people in my age group HATEf the music that was coming out during that time period. Music was no longer cutting edge to us anymore. We all thought that it went kinda gay.

I had forgotten about that but I do remember those complaints about it.  I can see that perception being that Lady Gaga was at the forefront of that scene and she appealed heavily to the LGBT community.  There was still plenty of hip-hop on the radio in that era however and even post-grunge lasted into 2011 before it finally bit the dust so there still was some variety.  I am also sure you could admit that the music then was less "gay" sounding than what is coming out today.  I was always into EDM (then called electronica, trance, or techno) in the 2000s so I enjoyed seeing it influence Top 40 during the late '00s.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/22/15 at 3:23 pm

I had forgotten about that but I do remember those complaints about it.  I can see that perception being that Lady Gaga was at the forefront of that scene and she appealed heavily to the LGBT community.  There was still plenty of hip-hop on the radio in that era however and even post-grunge lasted into 2011 before it finally bit the dust so there still was some variety.  I am also sure you could admit that the music then was less "gay" sounding than what is coming out today.  I was always into EDM (then called electronica, trance, or techno) in the 2000s so I enjoyed seeing it influence Top 40 during the late '00s.

That is VERY truce, but it's also kind of scary I feel music just keeps declining and declining!!

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/22/15 at 4:17 pm

I would call it "European style". I never found it sounding more "gay" than usual (if it matters anyway), but European radio was full of EDM as long as I can remember anyway...

I prefer it though to the harsh sounding house music kids are playing these years.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/22/15 at 4:26 pm

Ugh, no. I got sick of that style of music by 2011, and I turned 16 at the end of that year! 2009 was good, 2010 was even better, but that style of music just burned out by 2011. It wasn't really fun anymore and I remember thinking songs such as "You Make Me Feel..." by Cobra Starship and "Party Rovk Anthem" sounding manufactured. There were songs I liked from that period of time, but it wasn't all that great. As a matter of fact, I thought the 2011–2013 period was very lackluster and I think music is slowly getting better (Mark Ronson, Rihanna, and Ed Sheeran give me hope).

Written By: 97er on 02/22/15 at 4:28 pm

I mean, we still have electropop/EDM but it's sort of bland and boring. The lyrics are more "sophisticated" and "deep" it's not very fun. I do like a lot of Calvin Harris' stuff though.

Written By: Mat1991 on 02/22/15 at 4:37 pm

I didn't mind it so much while it was starting out, but I got tired of it by early 2012. I never liked how superficial the lyrics were, anyway.

Granted, at least it was a distinctive sound for an era, kind of like how synthpop is associated with '80s music. Music now is becoming more difficult to define.

Written By: dnt88 on 02/22/15 at 8:48 pm

I was also in my early twenties back then and I used to listen to that music every day. After I turned 25 in 2013 I stopped caring about mainstream music. Anyway... It was bound to happen. The target audience is always young people (11-24 years old.) But I'll always enjoy late 90's, 00's and early 10's music. I'm also a huge fan of 60's, 70's and 80's music.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/22/15 at 10:46 pm

I was also in my early twenties back then and I used to listen to that music every day. After I turned 25 in 2013 I stopped caring about mainstream music. Anyway... It was bound to happen. The target audience is always young people (11-24 years old.) But I'll always enjoy late 90's, 00's and early 10's music. I'm also a huge fan of 60's, 70's and 80's music.

I'm very shocked that a lot of you males out there liked that style of music a few years ago! :-X me and friends hated that crap!!  8-P

Written By: 97er on 02/22/15 at 11:35 pm

I'm very shocked that a lot of you males out there liked that style of music a few years ago! :-X me and friends hated that crap!!  8-P

I've always liked electronic music tbh.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/23/15 at 3:16 am

I missed it, when did it happen?

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/15 at 7:29 am

I don't think its because you turned 25, its because 2013 was the year that the Rebecca Black/Ariana Grande sound became dominant.  That is when I started losing my love for Top 40 as well and I thought it would never happen because I accept change a lot better than most people do.  Music today is mostly unappealing to anybody who isn't female and under 13.  There is however some decent hip-hop coming out recently so that has made 2015 a little better for me than 2013 and 2014.

People who liked electronic music loved it.  Rock fans were likely to despise it. 

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/23/15 at 7:37 am

No, I don't miss it, because early 2010s sound is still relevant today.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 02/23/15 at 8:21 am

Nope.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/23/15 at 9:21 am

No, I don't miss it, because early 2010s sound is still relevant today.

It is.

I live in a very small town right now and our Top 40 station is late on getting new music and plays out older songs long after big city Top 40 stations have forgotten about them.  For instance, songs like "Bad Romance", "Love The Way You Lie", and "I've Got A Feeling" are still played heavily in my area.

However, none of the new songs you hear sound like the songs from five years ago.  The fusion of urban and EDM is no more, dubstep is gone, and everything has pretty much evolved into teen pop that is almost unlistenable unless you are female and under 13.  Ariana Grande sounds more like Rebecca Black than Kesha or early Katy Perry.  There is enough difference between a song released in 2010 and one released in 2015 that I can see somebody missing the older sound.

Written By: Howard on 02/23/15 at 2:33 pm

what style of music?

Written By: Emman on 02/23/15 at 3:38 pm

what style of music?

I think he's referring to music like Lady Gaga, Ke$ha, ect.

The "early 2010s" sound many are referring to in this thread is EDM infused pop and R&B.

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/23/15 at 3:48 pm

The "early 2010s" sound many are referring to in this thread is EDM infused pop and R&B.

BINGO!!  ;)

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/23/15 at 4:44 pm

It was happier than the terrible hip hop of 2006/7

Written By: Eazy-EMAN1995 on 02/23/15 at 8:19 pm

It was happier than the terrible hip hop of 2006/7

WOW!! :D The hip hop music may have not been that great. But it was still more manliier than the ridiculous crap music of the very late 00s and very early 10s.  Also it was a little bit badass to me back then too. During my pre adolescent/young teen years it was kind of fitting listening to it before I went to school. Going from that to the electro pop and rap that would dominate my early high school/ main teen years was a VERY rude awakening. It was a bit of a culture shock for me at that time.

Written By: Arrowstone on 02/24/15 at 4:41 am

WOW!! :D The hip hop music may have not been that great. But it was still more manliier than the ridiculous crap music of the very late 00s and very early 10s.  Also it was a little bit badass to me back then too. During my pre adolescent/young teen years it was kind of fitting listening to it before I went to school. Going from that to the electro pop and rap that would dominate my early high school/ main teen years was a VERY rude awakening. It was a bit of a culture shock for me at that time.

Well yeah, it sucks being deprived of the things you like.. I want rock back with guitar sound but I don't know if it will..
Anyways, you're right the hip hop sounded manlier than the electropop, and if you care about that aspecr in music that's ok; I don't care.. a look in the mirror is enough for me to see that I am male, and whether I listen pop, rock or whatever depends on what I want to hear, and though it is often rock I don't exclude these songs. I was around 18 back then so it reminds me of that time  :)
But I'm from Europe. Musical attitude might be slightly different here.

Written By: Inlandsvägen1986 on 02/24/15 at 5:45 am

Yes, however they had hits coming out as late as late 2013, so that kind of music is not that old today. "Timber" was big in early 2014, so that's only one year ago.

Written By: bchris02 on 02/24/15 at 7:31 am

Well yeah, it sucks being deprived of the things you like.. I want rock back with guitar sound but I don't know if it will..
Anyways, you're right the hip hop sounded manlier than the electropop, and if you care about that aspecr in music that's ok; I don't care.. a look in the mirror is enough for me to see that I am male, and whether I listen pop, rock or whatever depends on what I want to hear, and though it is often rock I don't exclude these songs. I was around 18 back then so it reminds me of that time  :)
But I'm from Europe. Musical attitude might be slightly different here.

When I was a teenager, I loved electronica but didn't let other people hear me listening to it because most considered it to be gay.  Publicly I listened to hip-hop because real men listened to hip-hop or metal.  About the time I was 24, which was when Lady Gaga and Ke$ha was big, I stopped caring whether something was manly or "gay" and just listened to what I liked.

Written By: Howard on 02/24/15 at 2:14 pm

How about Amy Winehouse? ???

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/02/15 at 12:44 am

I do kinda miss the late '80s "video-gamey" sound of 2010/11, but then the sound of electropop changed in 2012 and I didn't like it. I wasn't crazy about 2011 either, as most of the songs were just bad versions of 2010 trends. 2013 was awful, I despised "Blurred Lines", but I liked "Get Lucky", "Counting Stars" and the Imagine Dragons tunes.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/02/15 at 7:53 am

How about Amy Winehouse? ???
I certainly miss Amy Winehouse.

Written By: Howard on 03/02/15 at 1:22 pm

I certainly miss Amy Winehouse.

Her music was before 2010.

Written By: JohnMarston on 03/03/15 at 5:00 pm

2013 was the revival of hip-hop with Miley Cyrus and other (strange) emerging rappers. Drake also revived his career. I appreciate music today more than the 2008-2012 period, it's a lot more authentic but Nicki Minaj and her counterparts still SUCK.

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/03/15 at 6:39 pm

Her music was before 2010.
Her songs are still played today.

Written By: winteriscoming on 03/04/15 at 6:06 pm

I miss the 80s and 90s, and the early 00s to a lesser extent.

Written By: sporty on 03/05/15 at 12:53 pm

No, but I miss summer 2013 - spring 2014 in music, tech and general pop culture. Everything was so optimistic and happy back then. I hope one day we'll become as happy. :)

Check for new replies or respond here...