inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Paris night drone mystery deepens

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/25/15 at 4:28 am

Drones have appeared over landmarks in central Paris for the second night running and police are no nearer knowing who is operating them.

There were five sightings by police and the public between 23:00 on Tuesday and 02:00 (01:00 GMT) on Wednesday, French media report.

Up to three drones were seen near the Invalides military museum, Place de la Concorde and two of the old city gates.

Flying over Paris at night is illegal and low flights need authorisation.

Five drones were seen the previous night in similar areas, including the Eiffel Tower and above the US embassy, close to Place de la Concorde.

However, some of the latest drone flights have been captured on film and will be analysed by a 10-strong team of investigators set up after the first incidents.

The new sightings were also on the fringes of central Paris, at the key transport gates of Porte de Clignancourt in the north and Porte de Saint-Cloud in the south-west.

Small drones are inexpensive and easy to buy but their appearance in recent months over sensitive locations has worried French authorities.

Last month a drone was seen over the Elysee Palace, home of President Francois Hollande, and in October a series of nuclear plants was targeted across the country.

Flights over central Paris are banned during the day below 6,000m (19,700ft).

While drones are capable of providing high-quality aerial film, it is unclear whether the operators pose any security threat or are merely enthusiasts.

Analysts say the authorities are more likely to be concerned that a member of the public could be hit by a drone than by the risk to security.

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-31619099

Subject: Re: Paris night drone mystery deepens

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/26/15 at 6:53 pm

I always thought drones were really scary. You're being watched, and I don't like that. Even if I have nothing to hide, it gives me this sense of mistrust.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/26/15 at 7:06 pm

Drones are use by film/video companies to enhance the imagery, the one that was used at the wedding was small, and the images are spectacular.

As above the drone did look scary.

Written By: Howard on 02/27/15 at 2:56 pm

I always thought drones were really scary. You're being watched, and I don't like that. Even if I have nothing to hide, it gives me this sense of mistrust.

sort of like surveillance cameras.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/15 at 4:49 am

sort of like surveillance cameras.
Can be used as surveillance cameras.

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/15 at 7:58 am

So what do they actually do?  ???

Drones are use by film/video companies to enhance the imagery, the one that was used at the wedding was small, and the images are spectacular.

As above the drone did look scary.

Written By: Howard on 02/28/15 at 5:45 pm

So you can take drones anywhere you want?

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/28/15 at 10:36 pm

So you can take drones anywhere you want?
Where it is permissible too.

Check for new replies or respond here...