inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: 2010s clothing

Written By: 97er on 03/07/15 at 1:26 am

How would you define it? How do people dress in your town/city?

At my high school, people dress really cleanly and "conservative" since '13. Guys wear nice buttoned shirts and chinos, comb over hairstyles and nice jackets. Girls wear  floral dresses a lot more than freshman year (2011/2012) and lipstick. This is really different from the "swag fag" era where people would wear different colored jeans and sweaters, snap backs and huge Raybans. I guess hipster is still kinda "in".

What's it like in your city? I'm from Southern California BTW.

Subject: Re: 2010s clothing

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/07/15 at 2:04 am

I've lived in three states in the early 2010s (Ohio, Utah, and Texas), but I've been to alot of states from 2010 to today. Here is 2010s fashion so far.

Early 2010s
Neon colors
Skinny jeans
Leggings
Massive belts
Tiny belts
Thin-soled shoes
Flat footwear
No arch-shoes
Wingtips
Baggy shirts (girls)
5"+ Stilleto heels
V-necks (really deep ones)
Colored skinny jeans (*barf*)
Too-thin sweaters (that don't keep you warm!)
Boat shoes
Harem pants
Midi and maxi skirts (short skirts were not fashionable in the early 2010s)
Waist-belts
Western shirts
Birkenstocks (*barf*)
Uggs
Extreme side partings
Ombre hair
Undercut hairstyle (Hitler Youth for more controversial kids)
Wings haircut (better known as Justin Bieber hair)
Guyliner (very early 2010s)
Vans
Supras
Combat boots/Doc Martens

Mid 2010s
Continuation of some early '10s trends (as of March '15)
Jogger pants
Block-heel shoes
Low-heel shoes
Ankle boots/booties
Lug-soled shoes
Black footwear
Layering
Hoisery
Shorter dresses (knee-length or just above)
Crop tops
Tighter tops
Darker colors
Chinos
Higher-rise pants
Man-made fabrics (they're more popular than they were in the early '10s)

And that's pretty much it. We aren't even halfway through the mid 2010s yet, so we've still got 2015 and 2016 left to go before we can completely define the middle years.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/07/15 at 2:59 am

I've lived in three states in the early 2010s (Ohio, Utah, and Texas), but I've been to alot of states from 2010 to today. Here is 2010s fashion so far.

Early 2010s
Neon colors
Skinny jeans
Leggings
Massive belts
Tiny belts
Thin-soled shoes
Flat footwear
No arch-shoes
Wingtips
Baggy shirts (girls)
5"+ Stilleto heels
Boat shoes
Harem pants
Waist-belts
Western shirts
Birkenstocks (*barf*)
Uggs
Extreme side partings
Ombre hair
Vans
Supras
Combat boots/Doc Martens

Mid 2010s
Jogger pants
Block-heel shoes
Low-heel shoes
Ankle boots/booties
Lug-soled shoes
Black footwear
Layering
Hoisery
Crop tops
Tighter tops
Darker colors
Chinos
Higher-rise pants

And that's pretty much it. We aren't even halfway through the mid 2010s yet, so we've still got 2015 and 2016 left to go before we can completely define the middle years.

In other words, there was an early 90s revival in the early to mid 2010s. A mid 90s revival is slowly starting to break out.

Written By: 97er on 03/07/15 at 9:08 am

Early 2010s
Neon colors
Skinny jeans
Leggings
Massive belts
Tiny belts
Thin-soled shoes
Flat footwear
No arch-shoes
Wingtips
Baggy shirts (girls)
5"+ Stilleto heels
Boat shoes
Harem pants
Waist-belts
Western shirts
Birkenstocks (*barf*)
Uggs
Extreme side partings
Ombre hair
Vans
Supras
Combat boots/Doc Martens

Mid 2010s
Jogger pants
Block-heel shoes
Low-heel shoes
Ankle boots/booties
Lug-soled shoes
Black footwear
Layering
Hoisery
Crop tops
Tighter tops
Darker colors
Chinos
Higher-rise pants

Very similar to my town. This actually brought back some good memories of the early '10s lol

Written By: 97er on 03/07/15 at 9:09 am

In other words, there was an early 90s revival in the early to mid 2010s. A mid 90s revival is slowly starting to break out.

Well, if this continues I really hope baggy jeans don't make a comeback.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/07/15 at 9:41 am

By the end of the decade you can count on baggier pants to be in (and teenage boys wearing them). In the '90s, grown men didn't wear baggy pants, unless you were African-American. I'd suggest wearing straight-leg pants. Thing is skinny jeans are going out of style. They've been in since 2006, so the style is on it's last gasp.

Written By: 97er on 03/07/15 at 10:35 am

By the end of the decade you can count on baggier pants to be in (and teenage boys wearing them). In the '90s, grown men didn't wear baggy pants, unless you were African-American. I'd suggest wearing straight-leg pants. Thing is skinny jeans are going out of style. They've been in since 2006, so the style is on it's last gasp.

Yeah, I haven't seen them around in a while. But "slim" pants are in which aren't skinny or straight.  I'll be 20-22 by the end of the. 10's so I think I'll skip the baggy pants.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/07/15 at 12:50 pm

In the '90s, grown men didn't wear baggy pants, unless you were African-American.

Huh?

http://rockandrollphotogallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/116.Marky_Mark_1992.JPG

http://www.vinylvendors.com/Pictures/v/a/vanillaice433859.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1RQHvB1c8gY/UisUpY-prKI/AAAAAAAACuc/Osa4iOYOXck/s1600/3RDBASS2.jpeg

MC Serch had no problem wearing baggy jeans in 1991.

Then again, this was before your time.

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/07/15 at 12:53 pm

I haven't seen skinny jeans before 2008 and only since 2010 on guys. It's still seen where I live, but I don't know what teenagers wear these days, since I only see 20-somethings every day, and it is possible "we" remain in early 10s fashion more easily than teenagers.
I don't hope the baggy sheesh is coming back. I remember stumbling over my jeans everyday until the early 00s;
after that jeans became less baggy (though still "loose") and I discovered something like a "belt" existed xD

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/07/15 at 1:06 pm

Women's clothing that shows extreme cleavage is also all the rage these days.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/07/15 at 1:13 pm

https://kfashionmama.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/btob-changseob-dope-hat0.jpg

Dope hats (Rhythm Nation hats for kids today) and clothing are definitely in!

https://freeurcloset.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/printed-leggings-4.jpg

Printed leggings (Zubaz for girls) arrived last year or so. It ties in with the 90s revival because Clarissa Darling (Clarissa Explains It All)  used to wear printed polka dot leggings back in 1991.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/15 at 2:42 pm

some kids these days are wearing them.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/07/15 at 2:43 pm

Huh?

http://rockandrollphotogallery.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/116.Marky_Mark_1992.JPG

http://www.vinylvendors.com/Pictures/v/a/vanillaice433859.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-1RQHvB1c8gY/UisUpY-prKI/AAAAAAAACuc/Osa4iOYOXck/s1600/3RDBASS2.jpeg

MC Serch had no problem wearing baggy jeans in 1991.

Then again, this was before your time.

In real life, not celebrities. I actually have relatives who lived the '90s. Watching movies and television makes it more obvious too as those are effective places to get fashion info from a past period.

I'm starting to doubt you were born in 1977.  If you were really in your late '30s, your approach to your preferences would be more mature and not as demeaning of other people's tastes. I like the mid-late '90s. I could make a profile that I was born in 1975 just to make people listen to my opinion more, since no one will ever see my face as it's the internet. I'm guessing you were born much later, but made a profile since you love the '80s/early '90s so much.

Written By: Howard on 03/07/15 at 2:43 pm

Women just want to let it all out these days.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/07/15 at 2:53 pm

Women just want to let it all out these days.

Huh? I rarely see cleavage, let alone extreme. If anything high necklines are all the rage these days. You guys must live in seedy neighborhoods or something. It's so easy to assume revealing clothes are in, when in reality they're not.

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/07/15 at 3:13 pm

I see a lot of women (also a few men) with jeans with cuts especially around the knee.
But I don't know how it is possible that that is "popular" because it was too 10 years ago.

Written By: karen on 03/07/15 at 3:18 pm

I see a lot of women (also a few men) with jeans with cuts especially around the knee.
But I don't know how it is possible that that is "popular" because it was too 10 years ago.

This look is definitely still 'in' here in the UK.  My 16 year old daughter owns a pair with small random frayed/holes and I noticed a girl in town today with rips across both knees.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/07/15 at 5:00 pm

In real life, not celebrities. I actually have relatives who lived the '90s. Watching movies and television makes it more obvious too as those are effective places to get fashion info from a past period.

I'm starting to doubt you were born in 1977.  If you were really in your late '30s, your approach to your preferences would be more mature and not as demeaning of other people's tastes. I like the mid-late '90s. I could make a profile that I was born in 1975 just to make people listen to my opinion more, since no one will ever see my face as it's the internet. I'm guessing you were born much later, but made a profile since you love the '80s/early '90s so much.

You know Vanilla and Marky Mark weren't celebrities the minute their albums dropped, right? I had no choice but to live the 90s also.

The mid-late 90s haven't gone anywhere, in my honest opinion. Besides, more marketers cater to those who love the mid-late 90s over early 90s fans. French Toast Crunch recently returned to cereal aisles, by the way. The early 90s never receive any recognition. Everyone is aware the mid 90s were the core years of the entire decade. Most people look back to them when talking about the 1990s. Did you know there are two shows on right now that are set in 1995?

Many peers of mine have vivid memories of the 80s and early 90s. The early 90s were the best days of my life!  8)

I'm curious. What age do you think I am?

The Yers I've been around that were born at the start of the 1980s to Reagan's second term tend to proudly proclaim that they love the whole '90s decade.

I only like the early 90s because they were 'the 1980s on steroids'.

There's a guy on here with the screen-name "90s Guy", but I guess its okay for him to make a profile on here because he enjoyed living in the full decade of the 90s.

For your information, its a free world. People can say and do what they want. I have every right to state my opinion as anyone else.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/08/15 at 12:20 am

I think people are going a little overboard with this attempt at a grunge revival (grunge in the 2010s just feels so out of place, anyway). It's not unusual for me to see students at my university (usually female students) wearing pants with gaping holes in them, or with lines of horizontal slashes in them. Was grunge ever really that extreme? Whatever the case, it needs to stop. It's tacky as hell.

Oh, and I've been noticing women wearing really chunky scarves for the last couple of winters. I think it's more a style thing than practical, too. I live in Texas, and winters here are not that cold to require scarves that huge.  :P

There definitely seems to be a shift toward more feminine styles of dress for women. Skirts and dresses are a lot more popular these days than they were a few years ago. I'm noticing more poofy hairstyles (especially among black women, probably inspired by the "natural hair" movement going on), more pronounced lipstick and eyeliner.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/08/15 at 7:34 am

https://kfashionmama.files.wordpress.com/2012/09/btob-changseob-dope-hat0.jpg

Dope hats (Rhythm Nation hats for kids today) and clothing are definitely in!

https://freeurcloset.files.wordpress.com/2013/09/printed-leggings-4.jpg

Printed leggings (Zubaz for girls) arrived last year or so. It ties in with the 90s revival because Clarissa Darling (Clarissa Explains It All)  used to wear printed polka dot leggings back in 1991.

I've seen printed leggings before the mid 10s, and the early 10s was about bright leggings and jeggings. Now I see alot of stuff with a faux leather or shiny surface to it too or just a stripe like that down the side. I'm seeing alot of florals and stripes in leggings and skinny yoga pants too.

Huh? I rarely see cleavage, let alone extreme. If anything high necklines are all the rage these days. You guys must live in seedy neighborhoods or something. It's so easy to assume revealing clothes are in, when in reality they're not.

The 10s is far more modest than the 2000s. 2000s fashion could be described as "seedy." Well, at least in young womens or girls fashion. Those crisscrossing triangle chest tops that made sure you spilled out were everywhere.  :o

I haven't seen skinny jeans before 2008 and only since 2010 on guys. It's still seen where I live, but I don't know what teenagers wear these days, since I only see 20-somethings every day, and it is possible "we" remain in early 10s fashion more easily than teenagers.
I don't hope the baggy sheesh is coming back. I remember stumbling over my jeans everyday until the early 00s;
after that jeans became less baggy (though still "loose") and I discovered something like a "belt" existed xD

Oh they're still in, espcially jeggings on girls. I don't remember skinny jeans at all in the mid 2000s, just coming in on the late end. I know jeans for women have gotten more varied and the baggy wide leg crap is already making a comeback as seen on some store websites.  8-P Overalls are also creeping into some stores, double yuck. Leave those to little kids and farmers.

I think people are going a little overboard with this attempt at a grunge revival (grunge in the 2010s just feels so out of place, anyway). It's not unusual for me to see students at my university (usually female students) wearing pants with gaping holes in them, or with lines of horizontal slashes in them. Was grunge ever really that extreme? Whatever the case, it needs to stop. It's tacky as hell.

Oh, and I've been noticing women wearing really chunky scarves for the last couple of winters. I think it's more a style thing than practical, too. I live in Texas, and winters here are not that cold to require scarves that huge.  :P

There definitely seems to be a shift toward more feminine styles of dress for women. Skirts and dresses are a lot more popular these days than they were a few years ago. I'm noticing more poofy hairstyles (especially among black women, probably inspired by the "natural hair" movement going on), more pronounced lipstick and eyeliner.

Gaping holed jeans wasn't just this decade though, they're in and out alot throughout time. Trends with jeans seem to change fast. I like scarves. They're an easy way to "dress up" without doing much. That and the cat eye look with black eyeliner is kind of throwback. Lipstick is back towards reds now instead of pinks.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/08/15 at 9:37 am

I've seen printed leggings before the mid 10s, and the early 10s was about bright leggings and jeggings. Now I see alot of stuff with a faux leather or shiny surface to it too or just a stripe like that down the side. I'm seeing alot of florals and stripes in leggings and skinny yoga pants too.

I haven't caught anyone wearing floral leggings yet, but floral jeans are everywhere in this time.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/08/15 at 10:03 am

I haven't caught anyone wearing floral leggings yet, but floral jeans are everywhere in this time.

Alot of floral print anything.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/08/15 at 11:19 am

There was a grunge revival in 2012/13, but it's out now. It was only a fad, I don't see it anymore. Skinny jeans became popular in 2006 for girls, 2007 for guys. Unless you lived in the Midwest where they were three years behind fashion trends (now they're more like one year), that's when they became popular. Instead of one person's experience being be-all end-all, let's just use all of our experiences and combine them.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/08/15 at 11:23 am

Overall, I'd say 2014 was a changeful year for fashion. The ragged-patch clothing of 2012 & '13 wasn't in anymore, and women's clothing became more feminine.

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/08/15 at 11:44 am

2007 may be true for Americans, but I am certain that a European guy wearing skinny jeans before 2010 would be laughed upon and I'm sure the cities of western Europe are not places where fashion lags behind.

I also see both men and women wearing floral prints a lot these days and jeans jackets.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/08/15 at 12:46 pm

There was a grunge revival in 2012/13, but it's out now. It was only a fad, I don't see it anymore. Skinny jeans became popular in 2006 for girls, 2007 for guys. Unless you lived in the Midwest where they were three years behind fashion trends (now they're more like one year), that's when they became popular. Instead of one person's experience being be-all end-all, let's just use all of our experiences and combine them.

I don't recall the grunge revival, and I do live in the midwest. People tend to dress in what's comfortable around here and are not trendsetters. I don't see skinnies and jeggings going out of style here yet.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/08/15 at 1:09 pm

I don't hang around in seedy neighborhoods, but it seems anywhere I go, the ladies have their boobies hanging out.  It's awful.  :P

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/08/15 at 1:32 pm

I don't hang around in seedy neighborhoods, but it seems anywhere I go, the ladies have their boobies hanging out.  It's awful.  :P

Are they younger or older though?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/08/15 at 2:25 pm

Are they younger or older though?

20's and 30's.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/15 at 2:38 pm

I work in a neighborhood where I see that almost all the time.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/15 at 2:40 pm

floral prints were popular in the 70's too.

Written By: Howard on 03/08/15 at 2:42 pm

20's and 30's.

You know you stare at them once in a while, now don't lie. ;)

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/08/15 at 3:00 pm

You know you stare at them once in a while, now don't lie. ;)

Hey, if you weren't supposed to look, they wouldn't be on display.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/09/15 at 9:37 am

Hey, if you weren't supposed to look, they wouldn't be on display.

Well, you don't have to look. You know you can control yourself.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/09/15 at 11:00 am

The early 90s never receive any recognition. Everyone is aware the mid 90s were the core years of the entire decade. Most people look back to them when talking about the 1990s.
Actually, the early 90s DO receive recognition. When people look back at that era, they think about TV programs such as Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Real World, Saved by The Bell, Beverly Hills 90210, Full House, The Cosby Show, Married with Children, Rosanne and Family Matters; game consoles being Game Boy, Sega Game-gear, NES, SNES & Genesis; artists/bands like MC Hammer, Nirvana, Vanilla Ice, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Dr. Dre, Michael Jackson, and Janet Jackson; movies such as Home Alone, House Party, Basic Instinct, Boyz in the Hood, White Men can't Jump, The Sandlot, Pretty Woman, Poetic Justice, Terminator 2, Kindergarten Cop, Wayne's World 1 & 2, Dazed & Confused and Thelma & Louise.

How come you don't think about any of those when reminiscing about the early 90s?

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/09/15 at 11:28 am

I don't pay attention to these things really, but here in the UK, I've noticed:

Skinny jeans - this is very much a 'in the past 5 years' thing, maybe it's different in the US
Plaid shirts
Converse shoes
Leather jackets - everyone needs to own at least one
Baseball caps
Sweatpants are suddenly okay to wear in public, as long as they're skinny and not baggy

Funny thing is, the above applies to both genders. Seems a lot of fashion revivals ignore gender.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/09/15 at 1:39 pm

The early 2010s really weren't all that different from the 2000s. I see the mid '00s and the early '10s as the same era. Later in the decade, I won't be surprised if people call 2010-13 "the 2000s", and people looking at early '10s things and saying "That is so 2000s!"

Written By: 97er on 03/10/15 at 12:05 am

The early 2010s really weren't all that different from the 2000s. I see the mid '00s and the early '10s as the same era. Later in the decade, I won't be surprised if people call 2010-13 "the 2000s", and people looking at early '10s things and saying "That is so 2000s!"

You're right, but I feel like those years 2009-2011 were very neon. I remember people wearing neon sweaters. Also, lots of yellow 2009-2010 apparently due to the financial crisis.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/10/15 at 12:06 am

Actually, the early 90s DO receive recognition. When people look back at that era, they think about TV programs such as Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, The Real World, Saved by The Bell, Beverly Hills 90210, Full House, The Cosby Show, Married with Children, Rosanne and Family Matters; game consoles being Game Boy, Sega Game-gear, NES, SNES & Genesis; artists/bands like MC Hammer, Nirvana, Vanilla Ice, Whitney Houston, Mariah Carey, Dr. Dre, Michael Jackson, and Janet Jackson; movies such as Home Alone, House Party, Basic Instinct, Boyz in the Hood, White Men can't Jump, The Sandlot, Pretty Woman, Poetic Justice, Terminator 2, Kindergarten Cop, Wayne's World 1 & 2, Dazed & Confused and Thelma & Louise.

How come you don't think about any of those when reminiscing about the early 90s?

Well, there is the Target Style Spring 2015 "Groove is in the Heart" and Dentyne Ice Breakers Duo commercials on TV right now. It's nice to see to see Michael Keaton on the big screen again as a superhero in Birdman. Michael Keaton will always be Batman to me. People still don't look back to that era as much as they do the middle part of the 1990s. It makes sense that films like The To Do List (set in 1993) were made and French Toast Cereal was re-released recently. Americans are in the midst of a mid 90s revival because of the 20 year cycle. I've been on this site lately: http://1991istheyear.blogspot.ca/2010/11/too-soon.html?m=1

1991 really was the year!!!

The Sandlot, Poetic Justice, Wayne's World 2 and Dazed and Confused are all mid 90s movies. Some of them were made in 1992, but none them were out when Bush 1 was still president. Other than those, you covered the period perfectly.

Have you seen my first post in the 'I Hate the 90s' thread? Just about everything is there from the Slammin' Early 90s. You should check it out sometime.  :)

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/15 at 9:31 am

Well, there is the Target Style Spring 2015 "Groove is in the Heart" and Dentyne Ice Breakers Duo commercials on TV right now. It's nice to see to see Michael Keaton on the big screen again as a superhero in Birdman. Michael Keaton will always be Batman to me. People still don't look back to that era as much as they do the middle part of the 1990s. It makes sense that films like The To Do List (set in 1993) were made and French Toast Cereal was re-released recently. Americans are in the midst of a mid 90s revival because of the 20 year cycle. I've been on this site lately: http://1991istheyear.blogspot.ca/2010/11/too-soon.html?m=1

1991 really was the year!!!

The Sandlot, Poetic Justice, Wayne's World 2 and Dazed and Confused are all mid 90s movies. Some of them were made in 1992, but none them were out when Bush 1 was still president. Other than those, you covered the period perfectly.

Have you seen my first post in the 'I Hate the 90s' thread? Just about everything is there from the Slammin' Early 90s. You should check it out sometime.  :)
I already did. Some of the things you mentioned i said them in my post.

Oh and just because all those movies were released in 1993 doesn't mean they all had a mid 90s vibe. Some of them may have had a early 90s atmosphere. Not every early 90s trend disappeared by January 1, 1993.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/10/15 at 11:02 am

I already did. Some of the things you mentioned i said them in my post.

Oh and just because all those movies were released in 1993 doesn't mean they all had a mid 90s vibe. Some of them may have had a early 90s atmosphere. Not every early 90s trend disappeared by January 1, 1993.

A good fraction of the movies released in the early 90s were filmed in 1989. Does that make them late 80s flicks? Movies filmed in 1992 fit in more with those of the Boring '90s. The tone and clothing worn by the lead characters of "Poetic Justice" and "Menace ii Society" are what sets it apart from the hood movie classics of the early 90s. Quite a few characters in films like "Boyz N the Hood" and "Juice" wore clothing articles that were popular in 1989 only. With "Menace ii Society" and "Poetic Justice", the actors sported new clothes from the years 1990-1992. The most notable difference in "Menace ii Society" was the edginess to it, the main character Cain would have never died in an early 90s hood film.

By 1993, filmmakers had more of an idea of what a 90s movie should be like. Compare the 1993 picture "Airborne" to 1991's "Toy Soldiers" and you'll see a major difference in the way the characters dress. The boys of "Toy Soldiers" look like 'Degrassi High' extras while the characters of "Airborne" look as if they could be regulars on "Party of Five".

I'm sorry to say this to you, but it was not acceptable to wear the trendy clothing of 1989 (first year of the Bush 1 era) at the very start of 1993. Darker colors were popular at that time and not neon green tops anymore. As an example, peers of mine went from wearing Hornets Starter parka jackets (teal colored) to Cowboys Starter parkas jackets (navy blue) after Super Bowl XXVII. Around that time, young African American and Mexican males were donning Ben Davis shirts and Carhartt jackets to imitate Dr. Dre. You are partially correct, some styles and brand-name clothing lines introduced in the early 90s didn't disappear by the start of 1993.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/10/15 at 1:18 pm

The early 90s never receive any recognition.

Not true. The '90s nostalgia of 2011-2014 was all about the early '90s. I was obsessed with the early '90s around 2012/13. I bought a lot of songs from that time period and I watched a lot of shows. The mid '90s nostalgia didn't really kick in until late 2014, so it's still very new. The early '90s are now eternally cool. Once something hits 20 years old, it is no longer irrelevant. It is cool for the rest of time.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/15 at 3:47 pm

A good fraction of the movies released in the early 90s were filmed in 1989. Does that make them late 80s flicks? Movies filmed in 1992 fit in more with those of the Boring '90s. The tone and clothing worn by the lead characters of "Poetic Justice" and "Menace ii Society" are what sets it apart from the hood movie classics of the early 90s. Quite a few characters in films like "Boyz N the Hood" and "Juice" wore clothing articles that were popular in 1989 only. With "Menace ii Society" and "Poetic Justice", the actors sported new clothes from the years 1990-1992. The most notable difference in "Menace ii Society" was the edginess to it, the main character Cain would have never died in an early 90s hood film.

By 1993, filmmakers had more of an idea of what a 90s movie should be like. Compare the 1993 picture "Airborne" to 1991's "Toy Soldiers" and you'll see a major difference in the way the characters dress. The boys of "Toy Soldiers" look like 'Degrassi High' extras while the characters of "Airborne" look as if they could be regulars on "Party of Five".

I'm sorry to say this to you, but it was not acceptable to wear the trendy clothing of 1989 (first year of the Bush 1 era) at the very start of 1993. Darker colors were popular at that time and not neon green tops anymore. As an example, peers of mine went from wearing Hornets Starter parka jackets (teal colored) to Cowboys Starter parkas jackets (navy blue) after Super Bowl XXVII. Around that time, young African American and Mexican males were donning Ben Davis shirts and Carhartt jackets to imitate Dr. Dre. You are partially correct, some styles and brand-name clothing lines introduced in the early 90s didn't disappear by the start of 1993.
And how do you know that? Are you saying that films released in 1991 and '92 were filmed in 1989? and are you explaining that movies filmed from January 1992 to May 1992 fit in with the rest of the 90s?

Here are some photos

Boyz N the Hood

http://36.media.tumblr.com/d95f241abc18f5f89c037d2298c51ee5/tumblr_nk7gf2FHop1uozyoro1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwz8e8Upnz1r8bmtwo1_1280.jpg

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/85899/600full-boyz-n-the-hood-screenshot.jpg

Menace II Society

https://filmfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/content/menace.1.jpg

https://filmfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/content/menace.5.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2088/2881/1600/menace2society_13.jpg

There were some people who wore dark colors in the Boyz N the Hood film and some people who wore lighter colors in Menace II Society. Not much of a difference.

And how do you know that filmmakers had ideas of what the 90s would be like? Are you a 90s analyzer?  and are you addressing that the people stopped wearing neon colors on December 31st 1992?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/10/15 at 6:07 pm

And how do you know that? Are you saying that films released in 1991 and '92 were filmed in 1989? and are you explaining that movies filmed from January 1992 to May 1992 fit in with the rest of the 90s?

Here are some photos

Boyz N the Hood

http://36.media.tumblr.com/d95f241abc18f5f89c037d2298c51ee5/tumblr_nk7gf2FHop1uozyoro1_500.jpg

http://24.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lwz8e8Upnz1r8bmtwo1_1280.jpg

http://cdn.obsidianportal.com/assets/85899/600full-boyz-n-the-hood-screenshot.jpg

Menace II Society

https://filmfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/content/menace.1.jpg

https://filmfork-cdn.s3.amazonaws.com/content/menace.5.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2088/2881/1600/menace2society_13.jpg

There were some people who wore dark colors in the Boyz N the Hood film and some people who wore lighter colors in Menace II Society. Not much of a difference.

And how do you know that filmmakers had ideas of what the 90s would be like? Are you a 90s analyzer?  and are you addressing that the people stopped wearing neon colors on December 31st 1992?

These three movies (filmed in 1989) were in theaters in '91 and '92:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_the_Applegates
http://www.runningmovies.com/title/AcrossTheTracks.htm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103877/?mode=desktop&ref_=m_ft_dsk

There are more but I just wanted to name a few.

Yes, I have noticed that movies filmed in 1992 do not look any different from those of the Clinton era.

Have you seen these photos from Menace ii Society:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2088/2881/1600/menace2society_02.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2088/2881/1600/menace2society_8.jpg

http://www.imisstheoldschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ndhpnpjchoaebig.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Uyj8AAjg88o/S9Nhg17-CeI/AAAAAAAAAjo/-ugT-n2fasc/s1600/%2523Menace%2BII%2BSociety%2B(Inside).jpg

I know what I'm talking about, thank you.

It doesn't take a genius to know that every filmmaker in 1989 had to think of something that would work for the next decade. You really weren't alive in the late 80s, but everything created in them was 'for the 90s'. By 1993, filmmakers were able to look at the films that went to number one at the box office in 1990 and '91. From there, they picked out the contents (film trends) that made those flicks so successful at the time. After seeing Terminator 2, most filmmakers came to realization that every action picture of the Clinton years should be extreme.

No, I'm not an analyzer of the 1990s decade but I did live in every year of them.

With my last post, I wasn't saying that people dumped their neon clothes before December 31 of 1992. In fact, some people wore their new neon tees from early 90s well into the mid 90s. They were few and far in between. Darker colors were a much bigger deal in 1993-1996.

Can we stay on topic?

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/10/15 at 7:03 pm

Not true. The '90s nostalgia of 2011-2014 was all about the early '90s. I was obsessed with the early '90s around 2012/13. I bought a lot of songs from that time period and I watched a lot of shows. The mid '90s nostalgia didn't really kick in until late 2014, so it's still very new. The early '90s are now eternally cool. Once something hits 20 years old, it is no longer irrelevant. It is cool for the rest of time.

The 90s nostalgia of 2011-2014 was a mixed bag.

I do remember seeing t-shirts that bore a similarity to Guess Jean shirts from 1990 :

http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2700/18e00/products/1485/images/12589/Black_Splatter_Tee__76785.1411755312.1280.1280.jpg?c=2]http://cdn2.bigcommerce.com/server2700/18e00/products/1485/images/12589/Black_Splatter_Tee__76785.1411755312.1280.1280.jpg?c=2

There were also teens who looked as if they just walked from out of 1994 (core year of the mid 90s) in 2011:

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-LbfwMMBtsZQ/UwEwpJ9rveI/AAAAAAAAUOI/aNtrIDXj4dU/s1600/Photo+on+2-11-14+at+3.38+PM+%232.jpg

I thought mid 90s nostalgia went mainstream with this film from the fall of 2013:

https://filmcraziest.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/the-to-do-list.jpg

The mid 90s are really taking off in this year.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/10/15 at 7:10 pm

These three movies (filmed in 1989) were in theaters in '91 and '92:
http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meet_the_Applegates
http://www.runningmovies.com/title/AcrossTheTracks.htm
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0103877/?mode=desktop&ref_=m_ft_dsk

There are more but I just wanted to name a few.

Yes, I have noticed that movies filmed in 1992 do not look any different from those of the Clinton era.

Have you seen these photos from Menace ii Society:

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2088/2881/1600/menace2society_02.jpg

http://photos1.blogger.com/blogger/2088/2881/1600/menace2society_8.jpg

http://www.imisstheoldschool.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/ndhpnpjchoaebig.jpg

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_Uyj8AAjg88o/S9Nhg17-CeI/AAAAAAAAAjo/-ugT-n2fasc/s1600/%2523Menace%2BII%2BSociety%2B(Inside).jpg

I know what I'm talking about, thank you.

By 1993, filmmakers were able to look at the films that went to number one at the box office in 1990 and '91. From there, they were able to pick out what made them so successful at the time.

With my last post, I wasn't saying that people dumped their neon clothes before December 31 of 1992. In fact, some people wore their new neon duds from the very start of the early 90s well into the mid 90s. Not many folks were wearing their old clothes in the mid 90s. Darker colors were a bigger deal in 1993-1996.

Can we stay on topic?
yep i have. Like i said, some were wearing dark colors.

And yes we can. I just wanted to tell you that the early 90s are represented by alot of people, not just the rest of the decade.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/10/15 at 8:00 pm

yep i have. Like i said, some were wearing dark colors.

And yes we can. I just wanted to tell you that the early 90s are represented by alot of people, not just the rest of the decade.

You pointed out that some characters of "Boyz N the Hood" were wearing dark colors, not "Menace". I never said that every character in "Menace ii Society" wore darker colors.

Here's what I stated:

"Quite a few characters in films like "Boyz N the Hood" and "Juice" wore clothing articles that were popular in 1989 only. With "Menace ii Society" and "Poetic Justice", the actors sported new clothes from the years 1990-1992. "

What people might you be referring to? Please post some links, if you don't mind my asking.

Let's get back on topic. Has anyone else noticed that some young men still wear Obey clothing like it's 2011?

https://alilgoldandapager.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kataras_fig3fairey.jpeg

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/11/15 at 4:10 pm

Cargo pants are coming back in this fall. For children they came back in the autumn of last year.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/11/15 at 6:29 pm

Cargo pants are coming back in this fall. For children they came back in the autumn of last year.

I hope parachute pants come back some day.  Man, MC Hammer looked fly wearing those.  8)

Written By: Emman on 03/11/15 at 6:50 pm

I think I can honestly say I don't notice any obvious stylistic differences between 2005 and 2015, people are pretty much wearing the same crap they were wearing 10, 12, maybe even 15 years ago. I don't know what the "2010s look" is, just seems like a continuation of existing perennial fashion staples or some unoriginal rehash, there's nothing distinct. Like when I think of the '70s I get an instant picture of bell bottoms, feathered hair, afros, platform shoes, earth tones, and huge collars.

Written By: Howard on 03/11/15 at 7:39 pm

You pointed out that some characters of "Boyz N the Hood" were wearing dark colors, not "Menace". I never said that every character in "Menace ii Society" wore darker colors.

Here's what I stated:

"Quite a few characters in films like "Boyz N the Hood" and "Juice" wore clothing articles that were popular in 1989 only. With "Menace ii Society" and "Poetic Justice", the actors sported new clothes from the years 1990-1992. "

What people might you be referring to? Please post some links, if you don't mind my asking.

Let's get back on topic. Has anyone else noticed that some young men still wear Obey clothing like it's 2011?

https://alilgoldandapager.files.wordpress.com/2012/04/kataras_fig3fairey.jpeg

I still see that sometimes.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/11/15 at 11:23 pm

people are pretty much wearing the same crap they were wearing 10, 12, maybe even 15 years ago.

People now dress better than they did in 2005. Back in 2005, women and men were wearing those disgusting low-rise jeans. Now, people wear clothes that actually look good. Oh, and by the way, originality is like open-mindedness; It's a myth.

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/12/15 at 1:32 am

I think I can honestly say I don't notice any obvious stylistic differences between 2005 and 2015, people are pretty much wearing the same crap they were wearing 10, 12, maybe even 15 years ago. I don't know what the "2010s look" is, just seems like a continuation of existing perennial fashion staples or some unoriginal rehash, there's nothing distinct. Like when I think of the '70s I get an instant picture of bell bottoms, feathered hair, afros, platform shoes, earth tones, and huge collars.

I think you're exaggerating a tad. Go to Google Images and search "high school students 2004," then "high school students 2014." I did, and there are numerous notable differences in the way they're dressed. The most obvious difference I see is that fashion (for girls, at least) today is dressier and more colorful.

Also, there are some fashion trends from ten years ago (such as tall, baggy tees) that would not fly today. Similarly, it's safer for guys to wear shorts that go above the knee. I know this because when I was in junior high ten years ago I was criticized for wearing shorts that didn't go below my knees.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/13/15 at 12:31 pm

The most obvious difference I see is that fashion (for girls, at least) today is dressier and more colorful.

You were right about all of what you said except the bold. I have pictures of my sister's high school graduation in 2004, and the clothes are very bright. Not neon, but definitely along the lines of Crayola markers. Watching the first season of Veronica Mars is further proof of this.

In 2014 monochrome was really in, and still is today. Even the guys dress better than they did in 2004 (which was ripped jeans and flip-flops *barf*). The fact that navy, gray, white, and black are what is mostly sold in stores makes it way less casual.

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/13/15 at 12:36 pm

I think you're exaggerating a tad. Go to Google Images and search "high school students 2004," then "high school students 2014." I did, and there are numerous notable differences in the way they're dressed. The most obvious difference I see is that fashion (for girls, at least) today is dressier and more colorful.

Also, there are some fashion trends from ten years ago (such as tall, baggy tees) that would not fly today. Similarly, it's safer for guys to wear shorts that go above the knee. I know this because when I was in junior high ten years ago I was criticized for wearing shorts that didn't go below my knees.

Yup - most younger guys these days wear above-knee shorts. Only middle-aged guys are wearing below-knee shorts now.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/13/15 at 4:27 pm

Yup - most younger guys these days wear above-knee shorts. Only middle-aged guys are wearing below-knee shorts now.

When do you think that trend started? Here in the US it was 2014. I wonder how long it's gonna last.

Written By: Howard on 03/13/15 at 4:34 pm

When do you think that trend started? Here in the US it was 2014. I wonder how long it's gonna last.

I'm thinking about a year and a half ago.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/13/15 at 4:56 pm

Well, I guess I meant really short shorts, like mid-thigh and higher. Shorts have been above the knee-caps since 2010.

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/14/15 at 7:13 pm

I don't know, but before 2014 I'm sure, as I saw plenty of people - myself included - wearing above-knee shorts in the summer of 2013.

Things like this are pretty much the norm for younger males: http://fashionbomb.thefashionbomb.netdna-cdn.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/06/Joshua-Kiss-Street-Etiquett.jpg

But you can get away with even shorter - i.e: http://cdnc.lystit.com/photos/2012/11/22/boss-black-turquoise-aqua-lobster-volley-swim-shorts-men-product-2-5557690-536830432_large_flex.jpeg

Written By: XYkid on 03/21/15 at 12:03 pm

If someone from 2005 were to land in 2015, they would probably wonder why were trying to look like 16 year old grandpas.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/21/15 at 4:16 pm

If someone from 2005 were to land in 2015, they would probably wonder why were trying to look like 16 year old grandpas.

I don't intend to be mean, but your grammar makes the statement hard to understand. The 2005 kid would look like a grandpa or the 2015 kid would look like a grandpa?

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/21/15 at 7:00 pm

2010s clothing is too boring and subdued.

Written By: Smiley on 03/22/15 at 2:20 am

Nobody really takes care of their appearance anymore. People either wear sweat pants, jeans, or yoga pants, and just add a shirt. Skirts seem gone forever, along with all the other old clothes, and I see tank tops less than in the 2000s

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/22/15 at 8:47 am

Nobody really takes care of their appearance anymore. People either wear sweat pants, jeans, or yoga pants, and just add a shirt. Skirts seem gone forever, along with all the other old clothes, and I see tank tops less than in the 2000s

I notice it varies from area to area. In urban areas, people are more style-conscious, and keep on top of fashion trends. People in suburban/rural areas don't care as much, and dress less fashionably.

Most people I know look better now than 10 years ago. My sister, who is 28, dresses way more fashionably now, than she did when she was 18.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/22/15 at 8:49 am

It depends. Do you live in a ghetto part of town? Where I live people dress perfectly fine.

Written By: nintieskid999 on 03/22/15 at 11:19 am

2010s fashion is drab, boring, and nothing pops out. Everything is much too neutral and subdued and there is nothing that pops out at you.

This is what I mean:
http://galleryfashion.info/pict/summer/1371.jpg

http://www.fashionableadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Party-Dress-style-New-Year-2010.png

Boring

http://www.nestdallas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tr61.jpg

Written By: Howard on 03/22/15 at 2:42 pm

It depends. Do you live in a ghetto part of town? Where I live people dress perfectly fine.

Where I live, people dress casually.

Written By: Smiley on 03/22/15 at 2:49 pm

I live in the suburbs. Lol

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/22/15 at 3:14 pm

I notice clothes are black, white, grey, or pastel since this year. Until 2014 it certainly was colourful.

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/22/15 at 3:55 pm

What should a fashionable young man wear in 2015?

Written By: Mat1991 on 03/22/15 at 4:42 pm

I notice it varies from area to area. In urban areas, people are more style-conscious, and keep on top of fashion trends. People in suburban/rural areas don't care as much, and dress less fashionably.

Most people I know look better now than 10 years ago. My sister, who is 28, dresses way more fashionably now, than she did when she was 18.

I certainly see it often on college campuses.  ::)

I remember, back in late 2012, I saw a female classmate wearing a fur-trimmed coat and pajama pants tucked into boots. I thought, "What was the point in dressing up every other part of your body except your legs?"

Personally, I don't wear sweats in public anymore unless I'm about to go to the gym.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/22/15 at 11:15 pm

For a super trendy look and appear outdated by the end of the year:

Twill Jacket, preferably navy
Gingham Oxford shirts buttoned up all the way
Super fine gauge sweater
Jogger pants, irregardless of color, must be above the ankle bones.
No-show socks or sockless
Woven belt
Boat shoes or pleather Vans

For something less ridiculous and more timeless:

Leather jacket
Cable-knit medium gauge sweater, gray recommended
White or black undershirt
Khaki Chino pants, straight leg
Black socks
Leather belt, black or brown
Round-toe loafers or Oxfords, preferably black

My style is a little different, but much more like the less trendy one.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/23/15 at 1:47 am

2010s fashion is drab, boring, and nothing pops out. Everything is much too neutral and subdued and there is nothing that pops out at you.

This is what I mean:
http://galleryfashion.info/pict/summer/1371.jpg

http://www.fashionableadvice.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/01/Party-Dress-style-New-Year-2010.png

Boring

http://www.nestdallas.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/08/tr61.jpg

Those are high-fashion pictures taken in 2010. Those outfits were never in style. Here is a recently uploaded picture on wikipedia on "2010s in fashion", representing the style of women's fashion in the mid '10s:

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/9/90/Mid_2010s_Dresses.JPG/1024px-Mid_2010s_Dresses.JPG

This is better than what was fashionable in the 2000s...

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/23/15 at 7:24 am

I have lots of chino's (often coloured) and some jeans (slim fitted), high top shoes,
some flannel shirts and shirts with a pattern, also just blue collar shirts, because I
have some conservative days. I don't wear t-shirts as full clothes, don't know why,
I remember always wearing something with collar.

Walking through the city I see a lot men with floral shirts, black/grey slim jeans,
all kind of sneakers, and lots of leather jackets. But this is the first year I feel slightly
out of sync with what they sell in the shops.. but I'm 23, so.

Written By: XYkid on 03/23/15 at 10:15 pm

I don't intend to be mean, but your grammar makes the statement hard to understand. The 2005 kid would look like a grandpa or the 2015 kid would look like a grandpa?
The latter.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/23/15 at 11:20 pm

The latter.

According to your profile, you live in Seattle (hipster and alternative central). So I'm not questioning that. Where I live guys dress a little more youthful, but you can tell the difference between the edgy guys and the conservative ones. I try to copy the '90s.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/24/15 at 10:56 am

Cropped pants on guys, ugh! This is one of the bad trends. If you look at a bunch of pictures, you can see that when male models sit down while displaying the clothes, you can see that the hemlines of their pants ride up to the middle of their shins!

Bingo
http://fashionweekdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EA_CHarris_03.jpg

Also look at any recent picture on the American Apparel website.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/24/15 at 11:38 am

In Britain the 1970s are going to be coming back. Bell-bottoms, tie-dye shirts, suede w/ shearling jackets, fringes, tassels, wide mirror aviators, huge lapels, pointy collars, earth tones, that kind of thing.

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/mens-ss15-fashion-trend-1970s/

Written By: XYkid on 03/25/15 at 2:10 pm

In Britain the 1970s are going to be coming back. Bell-bottoms, tie-dye shirts, suede w/ shearling jackets, fringes, tassels, wide mirror aviators, huge lapels, pointy collars, earth tones, that kind of thing.

http://www.fashionbeans.com/2015/mens-ss15-fashion-trend-1970s/
I would say 2010s fashion is just a hodge podge of 70s, 80s, and 90s trends.

Written By: KatanaChick on 03/25/15 at 4:09 pm

Cropped pants on guys, ugh! This is one of the bad trends. If you look at a bunch of pictures, you can see that when male models sit down while displaying the clothes, you can see that the hemlines of their pants ride up to the middle of their shins!

Bingo
http://fashionweekdaily.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/EA_CHarris_03.jpg

Also look at any recent picture on the American Apparel website.

Pants should always cover your socks/ankles!

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/25/15 at 4:14 pm

I would say 2010s fashion is just a hodge podge of 70s, 80s, and 90s trends.

Just like how 2000s was a hodge podge of '60s, '70s, and '80s
1990s was a hodge podge of '50s, '60s, and '70s
1980s was a hodge podge of '40s, '50s, and '60s
1970s was a hodge podge of '30s, '40s, and '50s

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/27/15 at 12:29 pm

One thing I hate though is the Cara Delevigne eyebrows eeeeeeeeeeeeew! I find it super ugly to see really thick, dark eyebrows that make you look like you're from eastern europe. I always get the idea that you have bad breath.  8-P

It looks even worse when you dye your hair a lighter color and keep your eyebrows the same, it's just freaky! If you dye your hair, dye your eyebrows too! I hope those unsightly things go out of fashion soon. I want the pencil-thin over plucked eyebrows from the '90s to come back!  >:(

Written By: XYkid on 03/27/15 at 1:39 pm

One thing I hate though is the Cara Delevigne eyebrows eeeeeeeeeeeeew! I find it super ugly to see really thick, dark eyebrows that make you look like you're from eastern europe. I always get the idea that you have bad breath.  8-P

It looks even worse when you dye your hair a lighter color and keep your eyebrows the same, it's just freaky! If you dye your hair, dye your eyebrows too! I hope those unsightly things go out of fashion soon. I want the pencil-thin over plucked eyebrows from the '90s to come back!  >:(
I have thick eyebrows, that being said, I am of eastern european descent.

Written By: karen on 03/28/15 at 5:34 am

Some people are naturally that way - and many dyes can't be used around the eye.

Plus plucking wastes way too much time

Written By: Philip Eno on 03/28/15 at 5:37 am

Plus plucking wastes way too much time
...hair only grows again.

Written By: Howard on 03/28/15 at 7:09 am

...hair only grows again.

and grows in thicker.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/28/15 at 12:16 pm

and grows in thicker.

That's a stereotype. Both my mom and my sister, who pluck their eyebrows, say it comes back finer and eventually they stop growing. It's the same with waxing.

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/28/15 at 12:37 pm

One thing I hate though is the Cara Delevigne eyebrows eeeeeeeeeeeeew! I find it super ugly to see really thick, dark eyebrows ...

Brooke Shields' signature feature were those full brows of her.  Brooke knew how to give good brow.  :P

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/236x/23/42/83/2342833543302f5e8c07af6afab21570.jpg

Written By: ArcticFox on 01/29/16 at 10:19 pm

In 2012 and 2013 this look was in for girls:
http://girlspotblog.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/90s-fashion.jpg

2014-present fashions are much more eclectic and diverse. Less hipster and androgynous, much cleaner and neutral. As for the style icons of the 2010's, the fingers easily point to Jennifer Lawrence and Ansel Elgort. If you want to know what the trendiest looks are, look no further than at what they're wearing. They fit mid 2010's fashion to a T.

http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2014/09/20/1411188659608_Image_galleryImage_LAS_VEGAS_NV_SEPTEMBER_19.JPG
http://celebmafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/04/jennifer-lawrence-out-for-shopping-at-rag-bone-in-soho-april-2014_2.jpg
http://cdn04.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/jen-google/jennifer-lawrence-most-googled-celebrity-of-2014-07.JPG
http://www.hawtcelebs.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/06/jennifer-lawrence-in-jeans-shorts-out-in-new-york-06-10-2015_5.jpg
http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/05/02/02/2838F95900000578-3064568-image-a-64_1430529182919.jpg
http://celebmafia.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/jennifer-lawrence-street-style-out-in-nyc-april-2015_2.jpg

http://i.dlisted.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/12/spl911519_001.jpg
http://cdn03.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/10/ansel-airport/ansel-elgort-tfios-new-quotes-heathrow-airport-03.jpg
http://cdn02.cdn.justjaredjr.com/wp-content/uploads/pictures/2014/09/ansel-fly/ansel-elgort-chloe-moretz-jena-malone-fly-toronto-21.jpg
http://40.media.tumblr.com/4aafd45583c545b7f1efc3651194c6a5/tumblr_nj13a8yWwS1sskn9qo1_500.jpg
http://cdn02.cdn.justjared.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/02/ansel-elgorts/ansel-elgort-2015-oscars-01.jpg
http://media1.popsugar-assets.com/files/2015/01/29/818/n/1922398/1520ad590b9b6699_462450364AYgKjd.xxxlarge/i/Ansel-Elgort-Knicks-Game-January-2015.jpg

General images:
http://media.gettyimages.com/photos/kylie-jenner-seen-on-the-streets-of-manhattan-on-september-13-2015-in-picture-id488160042

Written By: Arrowstone on 01/30/16 at 5:44 am

I see so many people wearing a cap backwards, and it really irritates me. *"Look I'm soo cool and 90s"*

Written By: Howard on 01/30/16 at 8:13 am

I see so many people wearing a cap backwards, and it really irritates me. *"Look I'm soo cool and 90s"*

I hate that look.

Written By: 90s Guy on 01/30/16 at 12:31 pm

I've seen mullets on guys where I live  :o
and a lot of these:
http://www.behairstyles.com/pictures/Long+Hair+On+Top+Shaved+On+Sides+Men-290x290.jpg
http://www.menshairstyletrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Undercut-for-Long-Hair-Men-.jpg

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 5:41 am

But it does keep the back of neck being sunburnt.

Written By: 2001 on 01/31/16 at 10:41 am

I don't think that ever went out of style.

Written By: Philip Eno on 01/31/16 at 11:03 am

Sportsmen still do it.

Written By: ocarinafan96 on 02/01/16 at 12:56 pm

True but it has evolved over the years

In the 2000's guys would wear this:

https://capbeast.com/spree/taxons/35/exact/new-era-fitted-hats.jpg?1429180862

Currently in the 2010's guys wear this:

http://www.neweracap.com/~/media/featured%20content/social%20sharing/470x246_snapbacks_social.ashx

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/01/16 at 1:46 pm

and a lot of these:
http://www.behairstyles.com/pictures/Long+Hair+On+Top+Shaved+On+Sides+Men-290x290.jpg
http://www.menshairstyletrends.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/12/Undercut-for-Long-Hair-Men-.jpg

??? I haven't seen that anywhere in the real world!

Written By: Philip Eno on 02/01/16 at 1:47 pm

and a lot of these:
It is either or the other, but never together.

Written By: mqg96 on 02/01/16 at 1:59 pm

??? I haven't seen that anywhere in the real world!

There was one guy in my high school class who had a similar hairstyle. He was creepy to a lot of people though.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/06/16 at 12:06 pm

What I love about 2010s fashion is how unique and diverse it is. Don't like one style? Go to a different store and try another one, ltm! Unlike the 2000's, almost every store is different from each other, and each gives off a different vibe. It can cater to pretty much any mindset. I love it.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/06/16 at 5:51 pm

What I love about 2010s fashion is how unique and diverse it is. Don't like one style? Go to a different store and try another one, ltm! Unlike the 2000's, almost every store is different from each other, and each gives off a different vibe. It can cater to pretty much any mindset. I love it.

Well, as we said before, it's obvious that your area is ahead when it comes to fashion. Where I'm from this style is still popular:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/11/24/3e/11243ec5f500b5876bbfbb9b6a7baf62.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/12/3b/73/123b7317901d0a49f5eb93da4be6574c.jpg

http://hipsterhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/10-Deep-tribes-tank-top-black-native-5-29-2013-1-31TD4742-BLKZOOM1-2-196x300.jpg

Written By: Baltimoreian on 02/06/16 at 8:51 pm

True but it has evolved over the years

In the 2000's guys would wear this:

https://capbeast.com/spree/taxons/35/exact/new-era-fitted-hats.jpg?1429180862

Didn't they wear sports logo caps since the 90s? It's basically the same, but a bit different overtime.

Currently in the 2010's guys wear this:

http://www.neweracap.com/~/media/featured%20content/social%20sharing/470x246_snapbacks_social.ashx

Written By: 2001 on 02/06/16 at 9:00 pm

Well, as we said before, it's obvious that your area is ahead when it comes to fashion. Where I'm from this style is still popular:

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/11/24/3e/11243ec5f500b5876bbfbb9b6a7baf62.jpg

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/12/3b/73/123b7317901d0a49f5eb93da4be6574c.jpg

http://hipsterhead.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/05/10-Deep-tribes-tank-top-black-native-5-29-2013-1-31TD4742-BLKZOOM1-2-196x300.jpg

The second look is the one that's popular where I am. The first one is also popular but slightly outdated, denim jackets went out of a style a while ago, but he's got the hair donw. I've never seen anyone dress like the last pic though.

Written By: 2001 on 02/06/16 at 9:01 pm

and a lot of these:

I've seen these. They're pretty popular.

Written By: KatanaChick on 02/07/16 at 12:39 am

No man I know wears woman pants. That really shouldn't be a thing. The patterned t-shirt at the bottom also would look better if a woman wore it.

Written By: karen on 02/07/16 at 2:27 pm

By women's pants do you mean the skinny jean thing?

That's a guy thing around here.  My teenage son has two or three pairs

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/07/16 at 8:12 pm

No, my area isn't "ahead". It's actually pretty conservative, but instead I think your area is actually behind. Here is a link. I don't live in that city, but it's a pretty close representation of what people are wearing at this time of year in my area. Notice there are no "hipsters": http://m.chron.com/entertainment/article/Singer-Alessia-Cara-destined-for-more-than-6811740.php

And you don't get what my above statement meant. If you want to try a new style, shop at a different store. Guess, Express, Zumiez, Pac Sun, Banana Republic, American Eagle Outfitters, Abercrombie & Fitch, Zara, and Urban Outfitters all have styles different from each other. I would be genuinely surprised if you didn't have any of those stores at your local mall. If you can't find the stores, then shop online.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/07/16 at 8:24 pm

No, my area isn't "ahead". It's actually pretty conservative, but instead I think your area is actually behind. Here is a link. I don't live in that city, but it's a pretty close representation of what people are wearing at this time of year in my area. Notice there are no "hipsters": http://m.chron.com/entertainment/article/Singer-Alessia-Cara-destined-for-more-than-6811740.php

And you don't get what my above statement meant. If you want to try a new style, shop at a different store. Guess, Express, Zumiez, Pac Sun, Banana Republic, American Eagle Outfitters, Abercrombie & Fitch, Zara, and Urban Outfitters all have styles different from each other. I would be genuinely surprised if you didn't have any of those stores at your local mall. If you can't find the stores, then shop online.

Dude, the guy in slide 33 definitely a hipster. I mean he has a freaking man bun  8-P.  Some of the rest of the people have very mild hipster styles, like the guy in slide 5 and the girls in slide 6, with their thick-rimmed glasses. Heck Alessia Cara herself has a very mild hipster style. I guess when it comes down to it, I really hate the current state of fashion. I think I'll wait till 2018, when the next wave of fashion starts  8)

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/07/16 at 8:24 pm

By women's pants do you mean the skinny jean thing?

That's a guy thing around here.  My teenage son has two or three pairs

Personally I think fitted jeans are a better alternative.

Written By: 2001 on 02/07/16 at 8:41 pm

Personally I think fitted jeans are a better alternative.

I bought slim-fitted and they look too big on me >_<

I'm going to stick with skinnies, but I'm not sure how long the trend will last.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/07/16 at 8:44 pm

I bought slim-fitted and they look too big on me >_<

I'm going to stick with skinnies, but I'm not sure how long the trend will last.

Yeah, it really depends on the person.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/07/16 at 9:30 pm

Dude, the guy in slide 33 definitely a hipster. I mean he has a freaking man bun  8-P.  Some of the rest of the people have very mild hipster styles, like the guy in slide 5 and the girls in slide 6, with their thick-rimmed glasses. Heck Alessia Cara herself has a very mild hipster style. I guess when it comes down to it, I really hate the current state of fashion. I think I'll wait till 2018, when the next wave of fashion starts  8)

Man-bun isn't "hipster", it's just a hairstyle for more free spirited men -- that hairstyle was started by celebrities. The girls in slide 6 just have big glasses; that's not hipster, that's just one of the many currently popular styles of glasses. I guess late 20th century glasses are "hipster".  ::) The guy in slide 5 is just wearing a plaid shirt, a regular African-American facial hairstyle, and ordinary Black hairdo. And Alessia Cara is not hipster in any way. Black skinny jeans, converse, a t-shirt, and a jacket is a monochromatic outfit, something that is very popular in the mid 2010s. Since 2014 it has been very trendy to wear all black outfits. All white ones as well. Wait 'til 2018? You don't know what's going to happen in the future. You don't make any sense.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/07/16 at 9:49 pm

Man-bun isn't "hipster", it's just a hairstyle for more free spirited men -- that hairstyle was started by celebrities. The girls in slide 6 just have big glasses; that's not hipster, that's just one of the many currently popular styles of glasses. I guess late 20th century glasses are "hipster".  ::) The guy in slide 5 is just wearing a plaid shirt, a regular African-American facial hairstyle, and ordinary Black hairdo. And Alessia Cara is not hipster in any way. Black skinny jeans, converse, a t-shirt, and a jacket is a monochromatic outfit, something that is very popular in the mid 2010s. Since 2014 it has been very trendy to wear all black outfits. All white ones as well. Wait 'til 2018? You don't know what's going to happen in the future. You don't make any sense.

Well I guess this is where you and I differ. The way I see it, mid 2010s fashion is hipster influenced. Obviously it isn't full on hipster, that's not what I'm saying. I guess since it's become the normal fashion of the mid 2010s, you don't consider it "hipster". Fine, it really makes no difference to me. It's just semantics.

The basic fact is that you like mid 2010s fashion, while I hate it. It's a matter of taste. But, dude, you really need to chill out. I'm just expressing my opinion. If I dislike mid 2010s fashion, you're just going to have to accept that. I know I don't know what's going to happen in the future. All I know is that 2018 will probably be have different fashion trends from now. If I find them favorable, then I'll wear them. Since I don't find mid 2010s fashion favorable, I'm just simply waiting to see what comes next. It's more of a hope that I will like the next wave of fashion, as opposed to a guarantee.

Written By: ArcticFox on 02/07/16 at 9:54 pm

Well I guess this is where you and I differ. The way I see it is that mid 2010s fashion is hipster influenced. Obviously it isn't full on hipster, that's not what I'm saying. I guess since it's become the normal fashion of the mid 2010s, you don't consider it "hipster". Fine, it really makes no difference. It's semantics. The basic fact is that you like mid 2010s fashion, while I hate it. It's a matter of taste. But, dude, you really need to chill out. I'm just expressing my opinion. If I dislike mid 2010s fashion, you're just going to have to accept that. I know I don't know what's going to happen in the future. All I know is that 2018 will probably be have different fashion trends from now. If I find them favorable, then I'll wear them. Since I don't find mid 2010s fashion favorable, I'm just simply waiting to see what comes next. It's more of a hope that I will like the next wave of fashion, as opposed to a guarantee.

???  If anything you're the one that actually needs to chill, because it's you that constantly debates with everyone, making everything into an argument and always creating conflict. I was giving you a taste of your own medicine. And I don't like mid 2010's fashion as much as you think I do, I'm only pointing out that it's not "hipster" and is more diverse than you claim it is.

Written By: musicguy93 on 02/07/16 at 10:09 pm

???  If anything you're the one that actually needs to chill, because it's you that constantly debates with everyone, making everything into an argument and always creating conflict. I was giving you a taste of your own medicine.

Honestly, I really don't know what you're talking about. I don't debate anymore than anyone else on this site. And I've never caused "conflicts with people either". It's called having differing opinions. I still remain respectful towards those who disagree with me. You, on the other hand, have been quite hostile towards those who disagree with you. In fact you're response to my "dark age of entertainment" comment, was quite hostile, for no real reason.

Check for new replies or respond here...