inthe00s
The Pop Culture Information Society...

These are the messages that have been posted on inthe00s over the past few years.

Check out the messageboard archive index for a complete list of topic areas.

This archive is periodically refreshed with the latest messages from the current messageboard.

Check for new replies or respond here...

Subject: Is '90s nostalgia still big?

Written By: 90s Guy on 03/15/15 at 5:24 pm

Same question as title.

Subject: Re: Is '90s nostalgia still big?

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/15/15 at 5:53 pm

Well duh, it started only about 2-3 years ago. We have a LONG way to go before '90s nostalgia turns into '00s nostalgia. It has yet to peak. I'm enjoying the '90s nostalgia actually. I don't want it to go away!

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/15/15 at 7:56 pm

I agree with the above user - it's only a recent thing. I think 00s nostalgia won't occur for another 5-7 years. I'll probably be in my late 20s by the time that happens - about the same age my sister is now.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/15/15 at 11:32 pm

Of course. It hasn't even reached its peak. Only recently 90s house parties have started happening. 90s are still retro now, 2000s are still pretty fresh.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/15 at 1:39 pm

I guess in a way it's still big. Remember when Jimmy Fallon did a Saved By The Bell skit with the cast members? That in a way is bringing back the 90's.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/16/15 at 1:48 pm

I guess in a way it's still big. Remember when Jimmy Fallon did a Saved By The Bell skit with the cast members? That in a way is bringing back the 90's.

I don't consider Saved By The Bell "real '90s". It would be more meaningful if he did a "Party of Five" or "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" skit.

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/16/15 at 1:51 pm

Of course. It hasn't even reached its peak. Only recently 90s house parties have started happening. 90s are still retro now, 2000s are still pretty fresh.

The 90s are retro? The early 90s, maybe.

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/16/15 at 2:31 pm

Maybe? That's a definitely. Something officially becomes retro once it reaches 20 years old, so 1995 is the last retro year. 1996 will become retro next year.

Written By: Howard on 03/16/15 at 2:33 pm

I would think so.

Written By: 80sfan on 03/16/15 at 7:48 pm

It's huge right now, it got really big by 2014.

We're in the 'peak' period right now, especially by 2016.

Jurassic World will come out this year and Power Rangers is coming out next year, 2016, so yeah, it's still big!

Written By: ChrisBodilyTM on 03/16/15 at 8:28 pm

I'd say 90s nostalgia is still huge:

1. The 90s Are All That still airs on TeenNick. They currently show Catdog, Hey Arnold, and Rugrats. To quote the Joker, "There's a lot of potential for aggressive expansion," but TeenNick/Viacom/Nickelodeon is too lazy/cheap on that front. Toonami has had more lineup changes in almost three years than 90s Are All That has had in almost four. They've played maybe 5-10% of their 90s library. We have yet to see Weinerville, Welcome Freshman, Fifteen, Roundhouse, Kablam, The Nick Cannon Show, Cousin Skeeter, pre-"Family" Double Dare, You Can't Do That on Television, Pete & Pete, The Amanda Show, 100 Deeds for Eddie McDowd, etc. But that's another rant for another day and another thread.

2. Toonami is still hanging on. It's now half as long as it was at its 6 1/2-hour peak (due to "slipping ratings" in those later hours a.k.a. sleep), but they have added the anime, Kill La Kill, and every show is a premiere now. Every show is in HD except for Naruto: Shippuden.

3. Eden xo's "Too Cool to Dance" sounds like an 80s Madonna song, and the video reminds me of Baby One More Time. And her new, second, single "The Weekend" has a sound reminiscent of Britney, Gwen Stefani/No Doubt, Madonna, and "Steal My Sunshine" by Len.

4. I was just about to mention Power Rangers. They've had the show running from 1993-2009, and then 2011 onwards. Once again, they're back to the dinosaur theme explored on Mighty Morphin and Dino Thunder. And next year, Lionsgate pulls the lid off the dumpster and unleashes a movie reboot.

5. And oh, yeah, Jurassic World. Thanks for reminding me, MM07. It's being shot on film, too. Probably the only bad thing is that Dean Cundey isn't the DP.

6. Melissa and Joey. Clarissa and Blossom must have traded brothers. I wonder if Mayim Bialik will do a sitcom with Jason "Ferg-face" Zinbler. Ferguson looks like Rob Halford now.

7. Nickelodeon has been releasing some of its classics (whether they've aired on the TeenNick block or not) on DVD through Shout Factory, Amazon MOD CreateSpace, and/or through iTunes.

8. Cartoon Network revived Cartoon Planet and Cartoon Cartoon Fridays -- all in one package. However, they have recently retired Brak and Zorak.

9. Mainstream pop music (since 2011 or so) is finally getting good. Either that or I have a higher tolerance for it. Some of the music seems to have a more fun, poppy, 90s vibe ("Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars; "Classic" by MKTO; Eden XO above; "Somebody" by Natalie la Rose). Yes, my local station still plays One Direction, but they haven't played Miley in ages, and I think I've only ever heard them play Bieber once, and that was eons ago.

10. And where's our 90s answer to American Graffiti or Dazed & Confused?

Written By: sonikuu on 03/17/15 at 9:11 am

I do agree that 90s nostalgia is still very big, perhaps too big in ways.  I kind of went on my own 90s nostalgia trip back in the late 00s, when I practically lived and breathed the decade on a part-time basis for a while.  Now, I'm over it for the most part and while I still definitely feel good feelings towards the decade as a whole, cheap attempts to kindle nostalgia and the superiority of "90s kids" grates me.  I've been a lot more focused on the "now" since 2010 or so, and it's for the better.  Best to appreciate a decade before its gone.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/17/15 at 10:30 am

10. And where's our 90s answer to American Graffiti or Dazed & Confused?

Whoops, here it is:

https://sheenathetodolist2013stream.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/the-to-do-list-2013.jpg

It's set in 1993, every 90s kids' favorite year.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/17/15 at 10:39 am

I don't consider Saved By The Bell "real '90s". It would be more meaningful if he did a "Party of Five" or "Buffy the Vampire Slayer" skit.

You're right, Saved By the Bell is an early 90s show. The early 90s were nothing other than an extension to 1989.

The real 90s didn't start until 1993 when Clinton was inaugurated and Leprechaun (one of the first true pop culture icons of the Clinton era) was doing well at the box office.

Written By: Howard on 03/17/15 at 1:28 pm

Whoops, here it is:

https://sheenathetodolist2013stream.files.wordpress.com/2013/07/the-to-do-list-2013.jpg

It's set in 1993, every 90s kids' favorite year.

What was this film rated?

Written By: Howard on 03/17/15 at 1:30 pm

You're right, Saved By the Bell is an early 90s show. The early 90s were nothing other than an extension to 1989.

The real 90s didn't start until 1993 when Clinton was inaugurated and Leprechaun (one of the first true pop culture icons of the Clinton era) was doing well at the box office.

Saved By The Bell actually started in 1989.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/17/15 at 2:13 pm

Saved By The Bell actually started in 1989.

The first season had a very 80s vibe to it because the episodes were filmed in the spring of '89. At the same time, the relentless pop culture references are what makes it a Bush Senior era TV show. I wish I caught the earlier episodes when they first aired on NBC.

Deleted scenes like this one aren't on the DVDs:

fNfr4sGrZIE

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=fNfr4sGrZIE

The bumpers, such as the one at the start of this article, are also missing from the DVDs:

http://www.retrojunk.com/article/show/4604/we-are-the-early-90s-9093

That's just one reason why I wish I could return to 1989.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/17/15 at 8:27 pm

Behind the Green Door

What?

Written By: LyricBoy on 03/17/15 at 8:33 pm

What?

Oops.  I posted this response to the wrong thread!

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/17/15 at 10:14 pm

What was this film rated?

Rated R for pervasive strong crude and sexual content including graphic dialogue, drug and alcohol use, and language - all involving teens

Written By: ArcticFox on 03/18/15 at 12:06 am

I'd say 90s nostalgia is still huge:

3. Eden xo's "Too Cool to Dance" sounds like an 80s Madonna song, and the video reminds me of Baby One More Time. And her new, second, single "The Weekend" has a sound reminiscent of Britney, Gwen Stefani/No Doubt, Madonna, and "Steal My Sunshine" by Len.

9. Mainstream pop music (since 2011 or so) is finally getting good. Either that or I have a higher tolerance for it. Some of the music seems to have a more fun, poppy, 90s vibe ("Uptown Funk" by Mark Ronson/Bruno Mars; "Classic" by MKTO; Eden XO above; "Somebody" by Natalie la Rose). Yes, my local station still plays One Direction, but they haven't played Miley in ages, and I think I've only ever heard them play Bieber once, and that was eons ago.

Really? I think music has been slowly improving since 2014. Of all the songs you mentioned, only "Uptown Funk" has a '90s-vibe, and that's more '70s-does-'90s. Back in the '90s, there were several songs that were blatantly inspired by the '70s, some even sounding like they literally came straight out of the '70s (not that it's a bad thing, actually, I think it's a great thing!). Songs such as "Lovefool" by The Cardigans, "Gettin' Jiggy wit It" by Will Smith, and "Wifey" by Next sound very disco-y. There are so many more, but that's an example. So far, the only mainstream song from the 2010s that sounds straight out of the '90s is "The Blacker The Berry" by Kendrick Lamar, and that's a 2015 song!

I do agree that 90s nostalgia is still very big, perhaps too big in ways. Cheap attempts to kindle nostalgia and the superiority of "90s kids" grates me.  I've been a lot more focused on the "now" since 2010 or so, and it's for the better.  Best to appreciate a decade before its gone.

I don't consider "90s Kid" nostalgia to be real '90s nostalgia. I'm waiting for '70s born Generation X to reclaim the '90s. I think it will happen. Soon. And it is better to appreciate a decade while it is actually happening. Since 2014 I've been "living in the moment" more often than I did in the early 2010s (probably because I think pop culture has been getting better), while I still have a huge obsession with the '90s.

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/18/15 at 5:49 am

I think I'm done with the 90s nostalgia; ok, last few years I did things like buying a lot of grunge records, and so on, but now I just think the 80s revival suited me better. Also I listen more and more to the music of my teenhood from the mid 00s. Maybe the whole 90s nostalgia is a bit over the top.

Written By: mxcrashxm on 03/18/15 at 10:43 am

I don't consider "90s Kid" nostalgia to be real '90s nostalgia. I'm waiting for '70s born Generation X to reclaim the '90s. I think it will happen. Soon. And it is better to appreciate a decade while it is actually happening.

Here's a thread from straight-dope back in 2013. The OP who is an X'er ranted about that he was tired of millennials claiming 90s nostalgia.

http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=687904

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/18/15 at 10:58 am

I think Geico was reaching out to the older 90s nostalgists (people my age) by putting out these commercials:

pE0_GaLsX1Y

QFrsR9NByc4

Technically, the Salt N Pepa song was released in early '88, but Full House was on TV at the time. There are Millennials and Xers who think of the late 80s as the first years of the 90s.

Real 80s music existed from 1983-1986/'87:

cdIai01H7ao
The Rubinoos - Revenge of the Nerds

qibF_s31QW0
Alexander 'O Neal - What's Missing

7uEBuqkkQRk
New Order - Bizzare Love Triangle

Don't get me wrong, there were still some great 80s tunes being cranked out in the late 80s:

Se-QYEgAU8E
Kon Kan - I Beg You're Pardon

sNFRG0DGMAI
Times Two - Strange But True

ZWbj64Rwfvc
Dead or Alive - Brand New Lover

Those singles were far and few in between all of the alternative and rap songs being produced at the time.

The song below is definitely the most 90s sounding song to come out of the 1980s:

W7s3z6qq3JU
Guy - Piece of My Love (1988)

Written By: shadowcookie on 03/18/15 at 2:46 pm

I think I'm done with the 90s nostalgia; ok, last few years I did things like buying a lot of grunge records, and so on, but now I just think the 80s revival suited me better. Also I listen more and more to the music of my teenhood from the mid 00s. Maybe the whole 90s nostalgia is a bit over the top.

Maybe it's because Gen Xers express their nostalgia in different ways. Millennials are more prolific on social media than Gen Xers. My mother is a  Gen Xer, and she gets nostalgic for the 80s, but she doesn't post online much, and instead listens to 80s music on her record player.

Written By: TheEarly90sGuy on 03/18/15 at 7:26 pm

https://thehollywoodtimesdotorg.files.wordpress.com/2015/01/img_4143.jpg

The guy from FOX's Empire is keeping the early 90s alive with that haircut.

Written By: Slim95 on 03/22/15 at 4:47 pm

Here's proof 90s Nostalgia is still big.

mVN723iwj8c

Written By: Arrowstone on 03/23/15 at 5:23 pm

Here's proof 90s Nostalgia is still big.

mVN723iwj8c

How is that 90s? :o
and that's the first Moldovian song I heard since Dragostea Din Tei,  the summer smash of 2004 xD

Written By: Slim95 on 03/23/15 at 5:46 pm

How is that 90s? :o
and that's the first Moldovian song I heard since Dragostea Din Tei,  the summer smash of 2004 xD

That is very 1998....

Check for new replies or respond here...